• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

pixelation

So... when did the UFC go back to the rock version of their "theme" song?, remember when the Rebook era started they were using a dumbed out, semi electric version of it. Also... who plays and what is the name of that song?

Yaari

So... when did the UFC go back to the rock version of their "theme" song?, remember when the Rebook era started they were using a dumbed out, semi electric version of it. Also... who plays and what is the name of that song?

Uhh, that "Face the Pain" song?

Aryanos

Banned
That UFC 197 thread died fast yesterday. There is no way UFC is going to sell 20k tickets at the new arena with the current lineup even if they have Jones/Cormier 2 added.

Chesskid1

Banned
so they are really keeping conor off 200 huh

i remember dana said after rousey vs holms, he should get his promoters license taken away if he doesn't get a rematch done between them.

and that was a one-sided fight and no one really wanted an insta rematch, yet EVERYONE wants the conor fight now (not at first), from the fans, to the media, to the fighters themselves and they won't make the fight.

iddqd

Feel bad for DC, he would have beaten rusty Jones in a decision.
Could have maybe fought one or two times and then retire as champ.

Now, Jones is either going to do enough to win or win by TKO.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
This GIF sums up Jones/DC 1, and I assume the sequel will be no different.

II8Lcb5.gif

so they are really keeping conor off 200 huh

i remember dana said after rousey vs holms, he should get his promoters license taken away if he doesn't get a rematch done between them.

and that was a one-sided fight and no one really wanted an insta rematch, yet EVERYONE wants the conor fight now (not at first), from the fans, to the media, to the fighters themselves and they won't make the fight.

They don't care about him fighting Diaz. They just care about the drama between him and the UFC right now.

AaronB

How about that performance by Demetrious Johnson? He just keeps getting better and adding new tools. Who would have predicted that he would end this fight by knockout in the first, with the decisive strikes being clinch knees to the head?

At this point, DJ probably deserves to be #1 pound-for-pound fighter on the planet, and he has cleaned out his division more thoroughly than anyone I know of. Even during the long reigns of GSP and Anderson Silva, there was always some challenger to reasonably match them up against. Jon Jones never even had to fight the same guy twice. Cejudo was the last (and by some analysis, the toughest) guy with credibility to challenge him, and DJ smoked him.

Edson Barbosa looked phenomenal as well. I would pick him in a striking battle against anyone near his weight. If Tony Ferguson hadn't managed to sink in that hail-mary late submission, he would probably be the lightweight title challenger, and he'd certainly give RDA a serious fight.

broz0rs

When Barbosa hit Pettis with that left hook in the first round, you could clearly see the change in the demeanor of Pettis. But those kicks, man.

Lokbob

At this point, DJ probably deserves to be #1 pound-for-pound fighter on the planet, and he has cleaned out his division more thoroughly than anyone I know of. Even during the long reigns of GSP and Anderson Silva, there was always some challenger to reasonably match them up against. Jon Jones never even had to fight the same guy twice. Cejudo was the last (and by some analysis, the toughest) guy with credibility to challenge him, and DJ smoked him.

Really hope we get the Cruz rematch, there is absolutely nothing left at flyweight.

Levito

Banned
UFC 197 was pretty mediocre. I liked seeing Mighty Mouse clown that fool but besides that it was boring.

Mediocre cards happen too often in this era. Too many events, too often, and the fighters don't "go for it" as much cause they're terrified of losing and getting cut.(rightfully so)

FUME5

UFC 197 was pretty mediocre. I liked seeing Mighty Mouse clown that fool but besides that it was boring.

Mediocre cards happen too often in this era. Too much, too often, and the fighters don't "go for it" as much cause they're terrified of losing and getting cut.(rightfully so)

Really? The Jones fight was a bit average, but everything else either ended with a great KO or was a decent war.

IDK, I think part of Jones' performance was rust and part having to adjust to training for a new opponent who fought completely differently

ApharmdX

Banned
Jones struggles with tall guys who can negate him physically. Main event was a stinker.

Mighty Mouse is awesome but he's his own worst enemy. He's dominant in a division that has little crossover appeal. I'm a long-time MMA fan and I can't even watch it. Most dominant midget is still a midget.

UFC is in rough shape these days.

-MD-

John Morgan
@MMAjunkieJohn
Multiple sources I have spoken with so far indicated nothing changed in regard to Conor’s exclusion from UFC 200. Nothing from his team yet.

broz0rs

Can't imagine the hilarity if the UFC refutes McGregor's tweet tomorrow morning.

Also, you'd think it would be the UFC that should get first dibs in making this "huge" announcement. McGregor taking the spotlight again.

Really? The Jones fight was a bit average, but everything else either ended with a great KO or was a decent war.

Thar KO in the first fight on the card was amazing. Never heard of the guy before, rodriguez or something? But god damn it was insane. Mighty Mouse looked great, i was expecting a 5 round, dull, clinic from DJ, glad he finished it early.

Did anyone else see the video of Jones laughing about breaking OSP's arm? Its on r/mma, cant find a link in work, but basically the interviewer tells Jones that he broke OSP's arm with a kick, and jones literally starts laughing and dancing with joy. Rather than, you know, maybe be a little concerned or something, like most non shitbag people would.

SteveWD40

Did anyone else see the video of Jones laughing about breaking OSP's arm? Its on r/mma, cant find a link in work, but basically the interviewer tells Jones that he broke OSP's arm with a kick, and jones literally starts laughing and dancing with joy. Rather than, you know, maybe be a little concerned or something, like most non shitbag people would.

Yep.

He can't delete that one, but he seems to have gone full heel now anyway.

You think Jones is going to finish somebody? That's actually hilarious.

These dudes are professional fighters. Broken bones aren't new and come with the territory. Laughing is a bit much but they're not going to pity each other for a bone break.

Well, yeah, that's the thing. Jones is a terrible person.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Rashad is now giving serious thought to dropping to Middleweight. He's only four years late for that one.

And Paddy Holohan has retired because he has a Factor XIII deficiency - something that causes severe bleeding. It's also more prevalent in the offspring of inbreeding. So take from that what you will.

-MD-

And Paddy Holohan has retired because he has a Factor XIII deficiency - something that causes severe bleeding. It's also more prevalent in the offspring of inbreeding. So take from that what you will.

That Irish takeover didn't last very long.

eXtv

Banned
I think he's trying to force the UFC's hand.

Put public pressure on them by acting as if a deal was made and then the UFC looks bad(more than normal).

He's using his fans to strong-arm the UFC into not breaking more bad news and telling them that in fact McGregor is not fighting on the show.

Problem is, Dana has no issue telling them exactly that.

He's using his fans to strong-arm the UFC into not breaking more bad news and telling them that in fact McGregor is not fighting on the show.

Problem is, Dana has no issue telling them exactly that.

Exactly. Dana would rather watch everything burn down and be "right" than ever give in.

Yaari

Guess he just tried to get too much money this time, had it backfire on him, and now regrets it, trying to get back on the card?

Guess he just tried to get too much money this time, had it backfire on him, and now regrets it, trying to get back on the card?

I just think he wants his cake and eat it too.

I don't think he ever wanted to sit this out. He's got enough money to stand firm if he chooses. He's in the position a lot of fighters want to be in but because they aren't they relent and do what the UFC says.

ldcommando

Banned
It´s amazing that the champion that steamrolled his challenger this past saturday is now streaming dark souls 3 on twitch. Mighty Mouse is probably going to have a tougher time with most of this game´s bosses than he had with cejudo.

Thar KO in the first fight on the card was amazing. Never heard of the guy before, rodriguez or something? But god damn it was insane. Mighty Mouse looked great, i was expecting a 5 round, dull, clinic from DJ, glad he finished it early.

Jones finally embracing the villain that we always knew him to be.

It´s amazing that the champion that steamrolled his challenger this past saturday is now streaming dark souls 3 on twitch. Mighty Mouse is probably going to have a tougher time with most of this game´s bosses than he had with cejudo.

Find through him that Louis Smolka, Angela Hill, and Max Holloway also stream games on Twitch. What a time to be alive.

Top Bottom