• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

iddqd

I know shit talking UFC 200 is the thing but I just looked at the whole card and thought it looked pretty great.
Normal PPV's are so top heavy recently that a full card like this seems crazy.

The latest UFC 200 card includes:

Champ Daniel Cormier vs. interim champ Jon Jones – light-heavyweight title-unification bout
Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar – for interim featherweight title

Champ Miesha Tate vs. Amanda Nunes – for women’s bantawmeight title

Travis Browne vs. Cain Velasquez

Kelvin Gastelum vs. Johny Hendricks

Derek Brunson vs. Gegard Mousasi

Joe Lauzon vs. Diego Sanchez

Enrique Marin vs. Sage Northcutt

Takanori Gomi vs. Jim Miller

Julianna Pena vs. Cat Zingano

Haha, just saw that Northcutt wiggled his way into this one. Against WASABI Marin.

So much of a better main event. What it comes down to for me is that I don't give a fuck about PPV buys or Conor's draw or how much money the UFC will lose. The Conor/Nate rematch was always going to be a lame main event. Hopefully no one gets injured and we get this fight.

ApharmdX

Banned
Uh, yeah, what's wrong with that? Go to work and try to flex on your boss and see what happens to you.

What's wrong with that is the UFC underpays their fighters, the people who actually sell the product. There are a lot of boxers making seven figures per fight. There are only a tiny handful of UFC fighters making that much. Percentage-wise the UFC pays out a pittance compared to other pro sports in America. Even a huge league like the NBA pays out more than half of revenue to players.

Connor made the UFC tens of millions of dollars. If I made my boss tens of millions, and he wanted to pay me out 5-10% of that, even though I put my health on the line, I'd have been a no-show just like Connor was.

Fighters need a union. They need to organize and make the sport about them, the people who we tune in to watch. I don't give two shits about Dana White and the Fertitta's. They don't add the value to MMA.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
What's wrong with that is the UFC underpays their fighters, the people who actually sell the product. There are a lot of boxers making seven figures per fight. There are only a tiny handful of UFC fighters making that much. Percentage-wise the UFC pays out a pittance compared to other pro sports in America. Even a huge league like the NBA pays out more than half of revenue to players.

Connor made the UFC tens of millions of dollars. If I made my boss tens of millions, and he wanted to pay me out 5-10% of that, even though I put my health on the line, I'd have been a no-show just like Connor was.

Rather than no show, you could negotiate money BEFORE signing the contract. That's what other adults do.

ApharmdX

Banned
Rather than no show, you could negotiate money BEFORE signing the contract. That's what other adults do.

The problem with negotiating money in the UFC is that the fighters have basically no leverage. There's not another game in town, really. The UFC has a virtual monopoly over MMA after buying out Pride and Strikeforce. So they can pay their fighters whatever, and the fighters can shut up and take it, or fight in tiny regional shows.

When you have boxers making nine figures for a single fight, it's not hard to see why the UFC's biggest star might be peeved that he's still making peanuts.

broz0rs

When you have boxers making nine figures for a single fight, it's not hard to see why the UFC's biggest star might be peeved that he's still making peanuts.

In my opinion, that's what the McGregor spat was all about. In order for the UFC to maintain their growth and profits, they can not have a fighter be greater than the promotion, which it seemed McGregor tried to test with the skipped press conference. In boxing, it's always about the fighter and the promoter is in the background. McGregor started to get that type of Mayweather presence about him. The UFC had to take a beating with the planning of the UFC 200 card in order to put him in his place. And just like that it really seems McGregor has absolutely zero leverage now.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The problem with negotiating money in the UFC is that the fighters have basically no leverage. There's not another game in town, really. The UFC has a virtual monopoly over MMA after buying out Pride and Strikeforce. So they can pay their fighters whatever, and the fighters can shut up and take it, or fight in tiny regional shows.

worldssmallestviolin.gif

No one has argued more than me that fighters have a raw deal but Conor picked an odd time to draw a line in the sand. He signed the contract that says he has to do PR so he has to do PR. Tough noogies, man. The way he handled this with the tweets was embarrassing, I don't see how anyone can say otherwise.

Heel

It's been negotiating in the public from the get-go, with Conor testing the limits of his influence. Fans thinking this was some kind of cooperative marketing campaign for UFC 200 worked themselves into a shoot.

Dude was playing checkers with this tweet, though:

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/724474735912968192

What did he think this would accomplish? Dana and co. using it as an opportunity to give in to his demands? All it did was give Dana an opportunity to say it wasn't true and make Conor look like a toy. Huge misstep.

zewone

It's been negotiating in the public from the get-go, with Conor testing the limits of his influence. Fans thinking this was some kind of cooperative marketing campaign for UFC 200 worked themselves into a shoot.

Dude was playing checkers with this tweet, though:

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/724474735912968192

What did he think this would accomplish? Dana and co. using it as an opportunity to give in to his demands? lol huge misstep.

100% accurate.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
worldssmallestviolin.gif

No one has argued more than me that fighters have a raw deal but Conor picked an odd time to draw a line in the sand. He signed the contract that says he has to do PR so he has to do PR. Tough noogies, man. The way he handled this with the tweets was embarrassing, I don't see how anyone can say otherwise.

Yep, this is why when you sign the contract, you do the fucking work. Him not doing the work is unfair to all other fighters. Regardless of what they "bring in"

Chesskid1

Banned
it sucks some fighters are paid terribly compared to their value, but one thing really pisses me off when the UFC does it, and thats why i hate their management.

i absolutely hate when they talk shit/act disrespectfully towards a fighter (such as GSP when he decided to leave). pisses me off to no end.

VoxPop

Someone has to add them to this

lTJcxZV.gif

Guru-Guru

Banned
UFC 200 really isn't going to draw well, is it? The 1st Jones vs Cormier fight drew 800k ppv sales, which was definitely helped by the amount of trash talk, fight at the press conference, etc. It was nice seeing Jones beat Cormier, but it wasn't a particularly fun fight to watch. I doubt people will get that excited or the rematch. Rest of the card is full of fighters who can't draw either. Aldo and Frankie only got good ppv buys when they faced Conor (the rest of the fights they have headlined have been duds), and I doubt anybody cares about Tate either.

I just saw that Conor vs Aldo press conference had 200k+ viewers on Youtube, today's press conference was in the 20-30k range lol.

UFC 200 really isn't going to draw well, is it? The 1st Jones vs Cormier fight drew 800k ppv sales, which was definitely helped by the amount of trash talk, fight at the press conference, etc. It was nice seeing Jones beat Cormier, but it wasn't a particularly fun fight to watch. I doubt people will get that excited or the rematch. Rest of the card is full of fighters who can't draw either. Aldo and Frankie only got good ppv buys when they faced Conor (the rest of the fights they have headlined have been duds), and I doubt anybody cares about Tate either.

I just saw that Conor vs Aldo press conference had 200k+ viewers on Youtube, today's press conference was in the 20-30k range lol.

Who cares? Jones/Cormier 2 is a much better fight than Conor/Nate 2. I'd rather watch Tate defend her title than Conor and Nate fight at 170 again for no reason. Super siked to see Cain knock Travis's head off. It's a better card without the Conor fight removed.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

It was also in the middle of the day when people were at work.

It's not going to draw as well as Connor/Nate, but it's kind of a useless comparison.

ApharmdX

Banned
I think we know who to call...

https://youtu.be/mM-hD-iJ9NI

LMAO!

Who cares? Jones/Cormier 2 is a much better fight than Conor/Nate 2. I'd rather watch Tate defend her title than Conor and Nate fight at 170 again for no reason. Super siked to see Cain knock Travis's head off. It's a better card without the Conor fight removed.

I hope Cain wins. If he doesn't, it's time for him to hang 'em up. He's been injured more than he's been healthy in the last 5 years.

Levito

Banned
I think anyone that's an MMA fan and not just a Mcgregor/Rousey casual fan is much happier with DC vs Jones 2 than Conor vs Nate 2.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I'd rather watch Conor get worked again, but I guess it comes down to personal preference. And yeah, I am not disagreeing that this will be a quality card.

It was also in the middle of the day when people were at work.

It's not going to draw as well as Connor/Nate, but it's kind of a useless comparison.
That's true. Forgot about the time difference from where I live.

Chesskid1

Banned
i prefer conor nate 2 because i think it will be more entertaining. simple as that.

diaz getting hit a ton by conor and getting covered in blood, then seeing mcgregor slow down, started eating some shots, then he decided to shoot and finally was choked out, then diaz postfight speech.

it was so freakin entertaining. they probably won't go to a decision in a rematch.

iddqd

Pretty much this, the funniest thing about all the zigzag with Connor was that all of the sudden everybody wanted a re-match that was total bullshit in the first place.

UFC 101:
Propose crap.
Fans hate it
Try to take away crap.
Fans want it!

(The rematch is even dumber when looking at the TWO other 145'ers fighting on the same card who BOTH should be fighting Connor)

I don't know why anyone who isn't Dana or the Fertittas cares about buy rates. UFC isn't in any danger of going bankrupt or getting bought out or sold. So I don't see the concern. I just want good cards and one fight doesn't make or break an entire card for me.

dream

Part of the problem for me, Jest, is that 200 is a shit card. There is not a single interesting fight on there.

Messi

I don't know why anyone who isn't Dana or the Fertittas cares about buy rates. UFC isn't in any danger of going bankrupt or getting bought out or sold. So I don't see the concern. I just want good cards and one fight doesn't make or break an entire card for me.

Because its all Conor McGregor talks about. Its been forced down peoples throats and he has made it about the money.

Part of the problem for me, Jest, is that 200 is a shit card. There is not a single interesting fight on there.

I'll admit there's nothing on the card that I'm excited about but there a plenty of matchups there that can end up being entertaining. And plenty of dull looking cards turn out being great action.

Because its all Conor McGregor talks about. Its been forced down peoples throats and he has made it about the money.

People have talked about buy rates long before McGregor. Usually it had context. Contrasting UFC's boasts to the reality of show perfomance or comparing the UFC's numbers with competitors. But now folks toss it around like the Org will die without a Ronda or McGregor. Not going to happen. Hell with the new pay structure and Reebok deal, Zuffa's profit margins have to be pretty damn strong right now.

nick nacc

Banned
That might be the lamest gif on the internet. The whole thing just looks so stupid. Frankie is the only one with the appropriate look on his face.

Considering the shit talking between iceman and bones. I wonder how awkard that was. Ice man turns to him and starts a slo mo punch.

Levito

Banned
You know that scene in Return Of The Jedi where the Rancor eats one of Jabba's guards? (This)

That's basically what would happen if Chuck Liddell tried to fight Jon Jones.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

giphy.gif

wonder how Conor saves face now. his payout might have been 15-20 million for UFC 200 after ppv points. now with a fight in UFC 201/202/etc, he likely lost half that payout. although Conor and Rhonda at MSG could be the biggest event ever. guess he'll be fine if he makes that MSG card.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I don't know why anyone who isn't Dana or the Fertittas cares about buy rates. UFC isn't in any danger of going bankrupt or getting bought out or sold. So I don't see the concern.

Go ask the people in gaming side who cheer whenever Sony/MS/Nintendo/etc post a quarterly profit. Are NPD threads still a thing as well? I remember them being an awesome source of entertainment last gen. This gen is so painfully vanilla that I doubt anyone gives a fuck anymore.

Go ask the people in gaming side who cheer whenever Sony/MS/Nintendo/etc post a quarterly profit. Are NPD threads still a thing as well? I remember them being an awesome source of entertainment last gen. This gen is so painfully vanilla that I doubt anyone gives a fuck anymore.

Even that has a little bit of logic behind it since people see the various companies as direct competitors. With MMA as iy stands at the moment though, the UFC is in a class of it's own and if that changes, it won't happen nearly as quick as it can for consoles.

Heel

I don't think the Fertittas view the UFC being sold as a "danger", brotha.

Top Bottom