• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

FStop7

Banned
John Morgan
@MMAjunkieJohn
Multiple sources I have spoken with so far indicated nothing changed in regard to Conor’s exclusion from UFC 200. Nothing from his team yet.

Dana freaking out at people reporting on a rift between Conor and the UFC a while back makes more sense now.

Exactly. Dana would rather watch everything burn down and be "right" than ever give in.
He shouldn't give in unless he wants to vacate his presidency to McGregor. Hell, fans and fighters already think Conor calls the shots. I could just imagine if the fight was back on. Would make Dana a lot of money but also make him look stupid as fuck.

Rur0ni

TGWWT5a.gif

Reem/Werdum 2
I dig it.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'm no Jones apologist by any means, but in his last four fights (decision wins):

Jones was on auto-pilot during the fights with OSP and Glover. Neither of those guys were any threat to him.
DC is too rugged to be finished. That and I have the feeling Jones wanted to take his time with DC.
Gus was saved by the bell.

Rur0ni

I'm no Jones apologist by any means, but in his last four fights (decision wins):

Jones was on auto-pilot during the fights with OSP and Glover. Neither of those guys were any threat to him.
DC is too rugged to be finished. That and I have the feeling Jones wanted to take his time with DC.
LittleLankyBrahmancow.gif

VoxPop

Well Glover was literally finished once in his 14 year career in his first pro fight.

Cormier also has never been finished let alone beaten.

And Bones looked rusty as hell after a 1.5 year layoff against OSP and shouldn't have been fighting him in the first place. OSP has also only been finished twice in 27 fights.

Not sure what you guys expect out of the guy. He's been fighting the best the division has to offer and has been destroying* everyone in his path for 8 years.

ApharmdX

Banned
Jones always has trouble with guys he can't physically bully. Which is why he would get wrecked by Overrrem, Werdum & JDS

Agreed. You saw it with OSP this weekend. Heavyweights would be too much for him. Jones also doesn't have punching power.

I'd pick Overeem, JDS, and even Mark Hunt to maul Jones at HW. Werdum he might use his wrestling to win a decision. Maybe.

VoxPop

Agreed. You saw it with OSP this weekend. Heavyweights would be too much for him. Jones also doesn't have punching power.

I'd pick Overeem, JDS, and even Mark Hunt to maul Jones at HW. Werdum he might use his wrestling to win a decision. Maybe.

Lol I think the exact opposite. Jones would work all those scrubs with ease. Werdum being the only real tough fight which he most likely loses.

ApharmdX

Banned
Lol I think the exact opposite. Jones would work all those scrubs with ease. Werdum being the only real tough fight which he most likely loses.

Werdum's wrestling continues to be a major concern so I'm not sure about him. Jones cannot take Hunt, Overeem, or Dos Santos down. He gets KO'ed on the feet in any of those matchups. You really think he'd last 5 rounds with the best strikers of the HW division? Shit, I even forgot about Micocic. He would merc Jones too.

VoxPop

Werdum's wrestling continues to be a major concern so I'm not sure about him. Jones cannot take Hunt, Overeem, or Dos Santos down. He gets KO'ed on the feet in any of those matchups. You really think he'd last 5 rounds with the best strikers of the HW division? Shit, I even forgot about Micocic. He would merc Jones too.

Werdum's wrestling was fine against Cain from what I remember. Besides if they went down on the ground, Werdum is incredibly strong and by far the best grappler in the division.

Let's be real, Jones would destroy Hunt. Hunt wouldn't even be able to get in the pocket to throw his telegraphed haymakers and hooks. The range and height will be too much for him to handle with a guy who can use it effectively. That would probably be the greatest upset in UFC history if Hunt were able to pull it off.

Reem would probably give him some trouble but they train together and would likely not fight. I still think Jones would outwork him and decimate him on the ground with elbows.

Lol I love JDS but he is nothing but a one trick pony. If Jones was able to nullify his boxing like everyone else he's fought, he could easily punish him in the clinch and up against the cage just like Cain did.

You are also basing this on the Jon Jones with 1.5 years of rust. Bones at a shredded 240 would be a monster.

I consider Bones and Cormier the #1 and #2 respectively in any division. And Cormier easily DOMINATED that HW division albeit against different fighters. Jones has all the tools to be champion in that shitty HW division.

dream

Absolutely agreed with my friend VoxPop about JDS. He's a Bellator champion waiting to just waiting to get signed by Viacom.

Fox318

Is there any reason why the ufc shouldn't just strip Conor of the title?

I mean he refused to do press after he refused to defend his title and I wouldn't be shocked if he hurt the 197 buyrate.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Jones would do to the HW division exactly the same as what he did to the LHW division.

In 2010 we were all blown away by just how awesome the LHW division was because it had killers like Shogun, Machida, Rashad, and Rampage. Then Jones came along and had every LHW legit shook like Paul Giamatti in Shoot 'Em Up.

Is there any reason why the ufc shouldn't just strip Conor of the title?

I mean he refused to do press after he refused to defend his title and I wouldn't be shocked if he hurt the 197 buyrate.
I THOUGHT it was stripped and aldo and Edgar were fighting for the real belt.

Levito

Banned
So if Mighty Mouse and Cruz fight again, do you think MM has a chance of winning this time? Apparently the first time MM had a full time construction job and couldn't focus just on training. Not to mention he's waaaaay better now.

I THOUGHT it was stripped and aldo and Edgar were fighting for the real belt.
No, Dana said that Conor had to resolve that "retirement" proclamation. Now that he's no longer retired(no idea why the fuck anyone would have believed it in the first place), he still has the real belt. He probably will never defend it but it is what it is.

zewone

So if Mighty Mouse and Cruz fight again, do you think MM has a chance of winning this time? Apparently the first time MM had a full time construction job and couldn't focus just on training. Not to mention he's waaaaay better now.

I still think the size would play a factor, but the fact that MM has been running through folks and staying active while Cruz has been on the sideline, I'd give MM the slight edge.

I think it would be a great fight.

broz0rs

MM is a different monster now than the time he fought Cruz. Cejudo tried to clinch and wrestle against MM, but got wrecked. Even though the rematch could be an excellent fight, I think MM will definitely win.

Shirkelton

Neo Member
No one's going to 'save' 200. It'll do fewer numbers than it would have with McGregor at the helm, the UFC will maintain control of the situation, and then they'll put Conor on a card soon after and probably have Rousey and some native sons instead of him on the New York Card and make more money, more spread out than they would have otherwise.

The Fertitta's aren't hurting for cash.

Yaari

Even if Jones hasn't gotten the x-ray yet, I'd be surprised if he has anything to do with UFC 200, why announce anything if the results arent in yet?

Either way I hope to find out what the plan is during that presser.

FaceTurn

Cruz towers over MM though. It's hard to picture MM winning but I wouldn't count him out.

ApharmdX

Banned
The UFC has lost their damn minds. I want to see Jones/Cormier for sure but that's not a substitute for McGregor. PPV sales will certainly suffer. At this point it seems to be about sending a message to fighters that it's about the brand and not about them... fuck those guys.

Werdum's wrestling was fine against Cain from what I remember. Besides if they went down on the ground, Werdum is incredibly strong and by far the best grappler in the division.

Let's be real, Jones would destroy Hunt. Hunt wouldn't even be able to get in the pocket to throw his telegraphed haymakers and hooks. The range and height will be too much for him to handle with a guy who can use it effectively. That would probably be the greatest upset in UFC history if Hunt were able to pull it off.

Reem would probably give him some trouble but they train together and would likely not fight. I still think Jones would outwork him and decimate him on the ground with elbows.

Lol I love JDS but he is nothing but a one trick pony. If Jones was able to nullify his boxing like everyone else he's fought, he could easily punish him in the clinch and up against the cage just like Cain did.

You are also basing this on the Jon Jones with 1.5 years of rust. Bones at a shredded 240 would be a monster.

I consider Bones and Cormier the #1 and #2 respectively in any division. And Cormier easily DOMINATED that HW division albeit against different fighters. Jones has all the tools to be champion in that shitty HW division.

Werdum is a great grappler but it's hard to sub guys in MMA from the bottom. His wrestling is better now but it's still his weak point. On the other hand his striking has improved leaps and bounds. I'd pick Jones to beat Werdum but that's a fight that could go either way.

You're wrong about Hunt. He's beaten a lot of guys with longer reach with his timing, and he's got far more power than anyone Jones has ever faced. The guy is a fireplug too, hard to take down despite having no wrestling background.

Jones doesn't even take Reem down. Fight ends on the feet inside a round. Probably same with Dos Santos. Jones doesn't take him down and doesn't have the power to finish him standing. JDS is hittable, is his problem in his losses; terrible defense and head movement. JJ can't exploit that, though, not really.

Jon Jones is a great 205'er but putting on 20 pounds of muscle in your late 20's naturally is basically impossible. He struggles against guys he can't physically bully, and he doesn't bully any top 5 HW in the UFC today. Yes, Cormier was a great HW, but there were a lot of guys he didn't fight (Cain, Overeem, Dos Santos, Miocic). I think both Jones and Cormier would be top 10 heavyweights, maybe top 5, but it's a tough division despite not being very deep. Everyone is huge and hits hard. Every single current top 10 UFC HW has been KO'ed before. All of them.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The UFC has lost their damn minds. I want to see Jones/Cormier for sure but that's not a substitute for McGregor. PPV sales will certainly suffer. At this point it seems to be about sending a message to fighters that it's about the brand and not about them... fuck those guys.

Uh, yeah, what's wrong with that? Go to work and try to flex on your boss and see what happens to you.

Levito

Banned
Uh, yeah, what's wrong with that? Go to work and try to flex on your boss and see what happens to you.

It's bad because the UFC continues to treat their fighters like absolute garbage. Conor and Ronda make really good money, but most of the rest of the roster is completely fucked. A prime example is Rory Macdonald, did you know that he only got paid around $60,000 for that fight with Robbie Lawler? That's less money than Sage Northcutt got for fighting Cody Pfister. Rory vs Lawler is probably the greatest fight in the history of the sport, they stole the show at UFC 189--a PPV that was nothing but great fights and shocking moments, and they stole the show all the same.

The UFC needs a true competitor, badly. For the fighters sake.

It's bad because the UFC continues to treat their fighters like absolute garbage. Conor and Ronda make really good money, but most of the rest of the roster is completely fucked. A prime example is Rory Macdonald, did you know that he only got paid around $60,000 for that fight with Robbie Lawler? That's less money than Sage Northcutt got for fighting Cody Pfister. Rory vs Lawler is probably the greatest fight in the history of the sport, they stole the show at UFC 189--a PPV that was nothing but great fights and shocking moments, and they stole the show all the same.

The UFC needs a true competitor, badly. For the fighters sake.

If fighters want to be paid more then they need to be united on the issue. Get a bunch of the big names like Jones, Cormier, Rousey, Conor, Werdum, Lawler, Johnson etc. to hold a press conference on the issue. A situation like that actually puts the UFC's back against the wall. It forces their hand because their champions and biggest PPV stars are pushing it. What's happening with Conor is something they can brush off without issue since it's just one person. Yes, Conor would net them a higher buyrate. But what they're doing with this is bigger than Conor. It's them sending a message to the rest of the fighters. And that message is "Don't fuck with us".

So unless those other fighters are going to unite behind a higher payrate, then UFC isn't going to budge.

Top Bottom