• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Vitor: "MMA is a lot closer to entertainment than sport these days. I'm not satisfied with the way the company is handling sponsorship. We are pretty much living in slavery. We can't use our own sponsors, they are banned inside the Octagon. We have no properties."

MjFrancis

Reem has all the tools to become the champ. Good to see that he's finally being cautious with his chin and gas tank. Nobody in MMA can stand with him. Doubt Werdum can take him down. Werdums stand up has improved but he's nowhere near K1 level. After Werdum he only needs to KO Cain and that division is his.
I wouldn't go that far yet, but he has improved drastically since getting KTFO'd by Ben Rothwell of all people. Heavyweight division is in an interesting place right now, I'm glad Overeem has been able to claw his way back into contention for a title fight, it really seemed improbable after going 1-3 after his suspension. I'm pretty sure I could dig up comments from most of us here basically telling Reem to go home and be a family man after that.

13118330_1681299068801428_425503667_n.jpg

lol

Levito

Banned
For everyone talking up Overeem's K-1 level striking: I'd advise you to actually go watch his K-1 fights. Kickboxing is not MMA and there's a ton more to worry about in the latter sport. Overeem's K-1 fights generally go like this: He fights defensively and uses the giant 16 ounce boxing gloves to block strike to the head and counter strikes once the opponent is gassed. Can't do that with 4 ounce gloves/risk being taken down.

Also when he won the the 2010 Grand Prix, Gokhan Saki had to be pulled out mid fight because he was so fucked by his previous bout, and Peter Aerts was basically dead after a war with Semmy Schilt. Not taking anything away from Overem, but this idea that his K-1 skills make it so he can't be beat by UFC strikers makes no sense. Especially when he's been knocked out 3 times in the UFC.

Also here's Robin Black's breakdown of the main event this weekend. I'M SO EXCITED THIS IS THE BEST SPORT.

OK I'll make it, Tuesday might be too soon? idk I'll start putting it together.'

l4fp2K3.gif

Sooner rather than later. Some jerk usually hijacks event threads even when they're called her.

Anyway, super siked for 198... too bad I have to go to my cousin's wedding that night... I'd rather be watching 198 :(

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Well there we go
http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/15503004/ufc-owners-advanced-talks-sell-promotion

Sources: UFC owners in advanced talks to sell business

The owners of the UFC are in advanced talks to sell the business, sources told ESPN.com.

At least four bidders are believed to have submitted bids for the organization, including WME/IMG, China Media Capital, The Blackstone Group and Dalian Wanda Group. The winning bid, should things proceed, is expected to be for a valuation between $3.5 billion and $4 billion, multiple sources with knowledge of the negotiations told ESPN.com.

The leader in the bid to buy the biggest mixed martial arts business in the world is said to be Chinese-based conglomerate Dalian Wanda Group, sources said. Its chairman, Wang Jianlin, is the richest man in China, worth nearly $35 billion, according to Forbes Magazine.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Like it or not, MMA has probably peaked already. They'll make an amazing ROI. They're probably way overvalued right now with the Connor PPVs doing great numbers last year and the upcoming 200 card.

Chesskid1

Banned
$4 billion seems like nothing for a sport that has a deal with FOX & Reebok, and potentially bigger brands after those expire, good deal. I guess that's why like 5 conglomerates are interested.

This is where I'm at a loss.

Why sell the UFC when it is doing so well?

Bail while you can. Take a big payday before the bubble bursts.

I know the assumption is the UFC will be different, but it can't keep up this growth forever. Eventually it too will have a slump/down period which will devalue it, just like the NFL eventually will. It happens with everyone else, it's not exempt from a downward slope

Ya, UFC is at a peak right now so sell now before it crashes again.

They're billionaires, they can still do all the fun stuff associated with owning but without the stress.

Levito

Banned
What are the chances that new owners would treat the fighters more fairly? Zero?

BTW guys if you want anything added to the UFC 198 OT just message me. It'd be great if MMA-GAF always gets the OP's to these things.

EDIT: ANDERSON IS OUT OF THE FIGHT WITH HALL WTF WHY DIDN'T THEY ANNOUNCE THIS AN HOUR AGO BEFORE I POSTED THE OT ;_;

broz0rs

I remember reading that Dana owns 10% of the UFC? So he won't end up as a billionaire, but $400 million for a guy who ditched his business as a boxing trainer when the Irish mob came for him is pretty damn awesome.

dream

These rumors come up every year though. I'd be surprised if anything actually comes out of it this time.

I've been keeping my MMA-GAF brothers in the loop on this over the past few months. The deal is done. The company has been sold.

FUME5

I've been keeping my MMA-GAF brothers in the loop on this over the past few months. The deal is done. The company has been sold.

How much of a change do you think we'll see under new management? I can't see them making any significant changes.

All I know is that Reebok deal seemed like it was done by people that wanted to wring as much cash out of a five year period as possible and damn the future consequences ... because there won't be any for them?

Dana: "The UFC is not for sale. The ESPN story is overblown. Darren Rovell is not a fan of facts. His facts could not be further off."

ESPN story confirmed!

Top Bottom