• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Its nice to have a HW champ that isn't plagued by constant injuries. Hopefully we can start getting more than one HW defense a year now.

N° 2048

No words.

First thing I did was look at my buddy and scream "why the fuck was he chasing him like that?!"
I am SO fucking baffled.

Aldo got caught on the first shot doing that but Werdum took the same shot just before chasing Miocic then proceeded to get KTFO with the same shot.

Baffled.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Man, Werdum's chin is shit... I know Stipe's a big dude.. but he had no leverage on that shot as he was moving back.... a pro should be able to atleast take that shot and not go face down and out. That's Amir Khan level chin.

MjFrancis

I don't question anyone's chin at heavyweight, especially not in the first round before everyone gets tired and starts throwing pillow fists.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I dunno, it was a good shot location wise, but Stipe was going backwards and had no real leverage to put into that shot. I can see getting rocked, but he was laid the fuck out.

Man, Werdum's chin is shit... I know Stipe's a big dude.. but he had no leverage on that shot as he was moving back.... a pro should be able to atleast take that shot and not go face down and out. That's Amir Khan level chin.
Let's not forget Werdum's momentum leaning and rushing into Stipe's short punch.

It's the heavyweight division and everyone has small gloves. There are very few heavyweights that can absorb full on punches from other heavyweights; Roy Nelson is an example.

N° 2048

BAFFLED

ff3ba4e8c09e09970e718b95c7610486.jpg

Speaking of Meisha, I just finished the JRE with her as a guest. She was good. I particularly enjoyed hearing about her experience wrestling in high school and what went through her mind a) the first time she fought in mma b) during the Holly fight. There was only a little bit of talk of chemtrails and super foods. The focus was almost all on her.

It was fucking awesome. Made me a fan of Tate^_^

I would like to see Holly interviewed too!

Werdum creates the momentum for Stipe by rushing forward though. It's why it's so dumb to do that.

broz0rs

that Werdum KO reminds me of when Kimbo Slice was knocked out by a Seth Petruzelli short punch. Momentum works in beautiful ways.

Shirkelton

Neo Member

Are you serious? No leverage? Werdum was running at him. You don't need much power, or even a stable base, if someone's rushing at you.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Jon Jones just has to get his belt back against DC and then defend it against Rumble. Hopefully at some point Gustafsson just retires clearing the way for Jones to move to heavyweight in 2017.

Jon Jones just has to get his belt back against DC and then defend it against Rumble. Hopefully at some point Gustafsson just retires clearing the way for Jones to move to heavyweight in 2017.
Nobody cares about Gus vs Jones. Errbody knows Jones was partying with white women and white powder during that training camp. Jones will move to heavyweight after DC and become the GOAT.

Aryanos

Banned
Werdum was winning until he lost. Anyone else happy that we won't have to see that horse face troll smile for awhile? Only thing better would have been Stipe making that face over his unconscious body.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Nobody cares about Gus vs Jones. Errbody knows Jones was partying with white women and white powder during that training camp. Jones will move to heavyweight after DC and become the GOAT.

I heard Jones actually wants Gus because he hates hearing about people telling him they thought Gus won.

I agree, I think fighting Gus is just a waste of six month of Jones' life, but if Gus wins a couple, Jones will try and fight him.

Unless he's just trying to get attention, Chael's comments about the Cyborg/Smith fight are wild ..

"This was no fault of the competitors, they went and did their job, but the referee did what we call an early stoppage. There was no historical, justifiable, reputable placement for this referee to place his decision. And outside of us commenting on it on SportsCenter, there will be no form of discipline done so we might as well not even talk about. He will be back in the ring next week with no explanation given. And that's just the reality. This was terrible I am upset about this."

How could he possibly believe that? Smith's eyes were rolled into the back of her head. And lets just pretend she wasn't 100% percent out - what would be the benefit of letting that continue? There was no escape, no coming back. I think my biggest pet peeve of MMA other than unreliable judging is stoppages when one fighter turtles up and the other fighter throws a flurry of blocked shots but the action makes the ref nervous and they call the fight - but that clearly didn't happen in this case.

Unless he's just trying to get attention, Chael's comments about the Cyborg/Smith fight are wild ..

"This was no fault of the competitors, they went and did their job, but the referee did what we call an early stoppage. There was no historical, justifiable, reputable placement for this referee to place his decision. And outside of us commenting on it on SportsCenter, there will be no form of discipline done so we might as well not even talk about. He will be back in the ring next week with no explanation given. And that's just the reality. This was terrible I am upset about this."

How could he possibly believe that? Smith's eyes were rolled into the back of her head. And lets just pretend she wasn't 100% percent out - what would be the benefit of letting that continue? There was no escape, no coming back. I think my biggest pet peeve of MMA other than unreliable judging is stoppages when one fighter turtles up and the other fighter throws a flurry of blocked shots but the action makes the ref nervous and they call the fight - but that clearly didn't happen in this case.
It was a proper stoppage.

Levito

Banned
The fight with Leslie/Cyborg was *not* stopped early. Watch it again.

Leslie has one cheek on the ground and isn't trying to cover up Cyborg's punches. It was over, Chael should stick to selling windshield washer on his podcast.

VoxPop

ThriftyFatalDrake.gif

(injury jokes incoming)

beaten.

I don't see anyone beating Khabib except a cardio machine tough guy like Diaz combined with insane takedown defense in the clinch that could break him over 5 rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eldg6AMskJ4&feature=youtu.be

Seems like the wheels are in motion. In combination with Mayweather openly talking about the fight these days and all the boxing training videos by Conor.

Realistically, I don't see this fight happening. But it is most certainly a mega fight even with Conor's tainted image after fighting Nate. The payday, popularity and easy work of a non boxer in Conor probably makes this a no brainer for Mayweather.

The biggest issue probably being that iron clad UFC contract. Unless the UFC agreed to some co-promotion and taking about 40-50% of the purse, I just don't see it happening. Would the UFC have the balls to release Conor from his contract if he shit on the entire company, Reebok and FOX?

beaten.

I don't see anyone beating Khabib except a cardio machine tough guy like Diaz combined with insane takedown defense in the clinch that could break him over 5 rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eldg6AMskJ4&feature=youtu.be

Seems like the wheels are in motion. In combination with Mayweather openly talking about the fight these days and all the boxing training videos by Conor.

Realistically, I don't see this fight happening. But it is most certainly a mega fight even with Conor's tainted image after fighting Nate. The payday, popularity and easy work of a non boxer in Conor probably makes this a no brainer for Mayweather.

The biggest issue probably being that iron clad UFC contract. Unless the UFC agreed to some co-promotion and taking about 40-50% of the purse, I just don't see it happening. Would the UFC have the balls to release Conor from his contract if he shit on the entire company, Reebok and FOX?

This article is certainly interesting on the topic:

How Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather could happen without UFC permission

So it's difficult, but certainly not impossible. Of course it would mean McGregor burning any bridges still left with the UFC.

I hope he does to be honest. That whole drama would be much more interesting than seeing him defend the FW title.

Weckum

This article is certainly interesting on the topic:

How Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather could happen without UFC permission

So it's difficult, but certainly not impossible. Of course it would mean McGregor burning any bridges still left with the UFC.

I hope he does to be honest. That whole drama would be much more interesting than seeing him defend the FW title.

Does McGregor really think he has a chance against Mayweather? I hope it's just him looking for a nice payday and then quit completely. Because Mayweather will destroy McGregor, who lost the standup fight against friggin Diaz.

Yaari

No! Please not Bisping. I want Romero.
But I doubt he has enough time eh.

Damn, love MMA but jeez. These damn injuries never end do they?

Does McGregor really think he has a chance against Mayweather? I hope it's just him looking for a nice payday and then quit completely. Because Mayweather will destroy McGregor, who lost the standup fight against friggin Diaz.

I very much doubt he does. But even if he loses, what does he really lose? He can still go back to MMA like nothing happened and keep saying that in a real fight he would win (which is true).

The payday would be the biggest in his life by a wide margin. Also I don't think he really has much to fear as far as getting seriously hurt. He probably won't win a single round, but I very much doubt he'll be KO'd.

Afterwards he'll still be getting offers for big fights in MMA. After all the thrash talking that will go on for the fight on very mainstream media, he'll be more famous than ever. If he fights aggressively, but loses on points his stock might even go up. That's not even mentioning the insanity that would ensue if the fight was actually close or if he managed to win.

In fact I see the fight as a much bigger risk for Mayweather. He's putting his unblemished record on the line, at 39, against a guy in his prime for nothing more than a payday.

Top Bottom