• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Camwi

FalseDiligentBellfrog.gif

Sweet guillotine.

Levito

Banned
The UFC is quickly ruining their brand with this kind of bullshit. That's a terrible rematch. I can think of a half dozen better fights for Rockhold at 185.

Hyperbole much? What do you expect them to do? Weidman is out with an injury, and Jacare was the first choice but he has a knee injury. It's two weeks out from the event, there's many options in such a short time.

I swear some of y'all are so doom and gloom about the sport, it's not perfect but it's still better than it ever has been in terms of the roster, talent pool, and quality of the fights. If you really find it that bad then throw in a PrideFC dvd and listen to Lenne Hardt to your heart's content.

I hate the message Ariel and others have been pushing which is that Bisping "deserves" the title shot. Like, what?!

I don't care how long he's been in the company and that he won 1 fight. He doesn't deserve a shot. So dumb.

ApharmdX

Banned
Hyperbole much? What do you expect them to do? Weidman is out with an injury, and Jacare was the first choice but he has a knee injury. It's two weeks out from the event, there's many options in such a short time.

I swear some of y'all are so doom and gloom about the sport, it's not perfect but it's still better than it ever has been in terms of the roster, talent pool, and quality of the fights. If you really find it that bad then throw in a PrideFC dvd and listen to Lenne Hardt to your heart's content.

I expect the UFC to make interesting matchups with what they have, schedule fewer events, and MMA training needs to be smarter with regards to safety. There are too many fucking events, and many of them are watered down. There are also too few stars in the sport today, and too many of these few are always injured.

Rockhold vs Bisping is a terrible, terrible fight. Rockhold won the first fight decisively. It's not a compelling matchup. I'd rather see Rockhold versus Whittaker, Hall, Mousasi... shit, even Brunson or Anderson Silva. I have a hard time seeing how someone could defend this fight.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Oh, shit, right. Bisping. I was talking to a friend last night and neither of us could remember who Anderson fought or what happened in his comeback.

Levito

Banned
I expect the UFC to make interesting matchups with what they have, schedule fewer events, and MMA training needs to be smarter with regards to safety. There are too many fucking events, and many of them are watered down. There are also too few stars in the sport today, and too many of these few are always injured.

I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with it at all. Too few stars? What? We have way more stars than ever(Mcgregor, Rousey, Jones, Jose, Frankie, Miesha, Holly, Weidman, Rockhold, DJ, Joanna, Cruz, Faber, and tons more). Back in the day the UFC was the Tito Ortiz show and THAT'S IT, they didn't even schedual PPVs if Tito wasn't able to fight.

Rockhold vs Bisping is a terrible, terrible fight. Rockhold won the first fight decisively. It's not a compelling matchup. I'd rather see Rockhold versus Whittaker, Hall, Mousasi... shit, even Brunson or Anderson Silva. I have a hard time seeing how someone could defend this fight.

How do you know what Mousasi or Brunson is ready? Anderson Silva is on a 3 fight losing streak, Hall is coming off a loss too. Bisping is on a 3 fight win steak, and is willing to do the fight on two weeks notice. It makes the most sense by far, is it ideal? No, but with Weidman out and Jacare injured, Bisping is the best option.

zewone

I hate the message Ariel and others have been pushing which is that Bisping "deserves" the title shot. Like, what?!

I don't care how long he's been in the company and that he won 1 fight. He doesn't deserve a shot. So dumb.

He's on a 3 fight winning streak with his last win being a huge upset over the GOAT.

This fight makes more sense than JBJ vs. OSP for the interim belt.

Who do you think is more deserving of a title shot that is available in 2 weeks?

Deserving is a tricky word to use when you're talking about UFC title fights. It can be argued that Holm didn't deserve the shot against Rousey, Pettis didn't deserve the shot against Bendo, etc.. Etc.. Based on their rankings and past wins.

This particular time the UFC went with Rankings but if they thought Hall, Whitaker, or anyone else available in the top 10 were a bigger draw or better style match up, it could easily have been someone other than Bisping.

ApharmdX

Banned
I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with it at all. Too few stars? What? We have way more stars than ever(Mcgregor, Rousey, Jones, Jose, Frankie, Miesha, Holly, Weidman, Rockhold, DJ, Joanna, Cruz, Faber, and tons more). Back in the day the UFC was the Tito Ortiz show and THAT'S IT, they didn't even schedual PPVs if Tito wasn't able to fight.

Out of those fighters, which one can sell PPVs? Not Jones, not Frankie (LOL @ that), nor Joanna... Cruz and Faber? No. The big-money fighters now consist of Mac and possibly Rousey if she chooses to fight again. Maybe Tate, who is popular. Holm maybe too?

How do you know what Mousasi or Brunson is ready? Anderson Silva is on a 3 fight losing streak, Hall is coming off a loss too. Bisping is on a 3 fight win steak, and is willing to do the fight on two weeks notice. It makes the most sense by far, is it ideal? No, but with Weidman out and Jacare injured, Bisping is the best option.

I don't know if those guys are ready, but one of them probably is. Hall is, for instance. That's an interesting fight that has the potential to be exciting at least.

Would love to see Bisping take over Rogan. He can talk shit from the sidelines, active fighters can call him out, and he can come out of retirement for the occasional grudge match. Basically the UFC version of Jerry The King Lawler.

Levito

Banned
Out of those fighters, which one can sell PPVs? Not Jones, not Frankie (LOL @ that), nor Joanna... Cruz and Faber? No. The big-money fighters now consist of Mac and possibly Rousey if she chooses to fight again. Maybe Tate, who is popular. Holm maybe too?

We were talking about who's a star these days, not who sells PPVs. Who's interesting/great fighters. CM Punk will sell a shitton of PPVs, that doesn't mean he's good or interesting. Like I said, back in the day the only person who sold PPVs was Tito.

I don't know if those guys are ready, but one of them probably is. Hall is, for instance. That's an interesting fight that has the potential to be exciting at least.

Hall is coming off a loss, Bisping is a on a 3 fight win streak.

ApharmdX

Banned
Yeah, you're not a star if you can't sell PPVs. Frankie Edgar, for instance, is not a star. Mighty Mouse is a great P4P fighter but also not a star.

He's on a 3 fight winning streak with his last win being a huge upset over the GOAT.

This fight makes more sense than JBJ vs. OSP for the interim belt.

Who do you think is more deserving of a title shot that is available in 2 weeks?

Dang, you're right. Mike is such a bum fighter I had forgotten that he was on a streak.

Oh well, he's still trash and would rather see Rockhold fight almost anyone else. Yes, I know availability of great fighters is very slim right now but I don't care.

The only positive to this is seeing him get worked. Again.

Levito

Banned
Wouldn't those go hand in hand, Levito?

There's levels of stardom, Ronda and Conor are the very top, then there's everyone else. You wanna know part of the reason Bisping is getting a shot over Hall? Cause he's *Gasp* a bigger star than Hall.

My point is that if a fighter selling PPVs is integral to your enjoyment than you're watching the wrong sport. CM Punk will sell crazy PPVs, but he'll surely be a fucking shitty fighter. DJ on the other hand is unbelievable. Who gives a fuck if he's not as big of a star as Conor?

What will be Bisping's excuse/accusation when he loses?

That he took the fight on 2 weeks notice?

There's levels of stardom, Ronda and Conor are the very top, then there's everyone else. You wanna know part of the reason Bisping is getting a shot over Hall? Cause he's *Gasp* a bigger star than Hall.

My point is that if a fighter selling PPVs is integral to your enjoyment than you're watching the wrong sport. CM Punk will sell crazy PPVs, but he'll surely be a fucking shitty fighter. DJ on the other hand is unbelievable. Who gives a fuck if he's not as big of a star as Conor?

I think the more relevant question is why is he not as big as star as Conor? The guy is a dominant champion in a useless division. Conor was absolutely on point when he said that most guys when they become champions they're only concerned with defending their belt and aren't looking to take on other divisions. After going through is whole division like twice, what the hell is he doing? Why isn't he pushing himself to go up to Bantamweight and fight Cruz again? I'll tell you why, because that's risky, he won't be as dominant there and he's scared. A guy like that will never be a huge star, no matter how good of a fighter he is.

Heel

Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion. Under what metric is Frankie Edgar a star, though? Seeing them?

Levito

Banned
I think the more relevant question is why is he not as big as star as Conor? The guy is a dominant champion in a useless division. Conor was absolutely on point when he said that most guys when they become champions they're only concerned with defending their belt and aren't looking to take on other divisions. After going through is whole division like twice, what the hell is he doing? Why isn't he pushing himself to go up to Bantamweight and fight Cruz again? I'll tell you why, because that's risky, he won't be as dominant there and he's scared. A guy like that will never be a huge star, no matter how good of a fighter he is.

He's not going up because he's the flyweight champion, weight divisions exist for a reason. Conor went up to lightweight and immediately lost to a guy that fought him on only 2 weeks notice. The guys at 135 are much bigger than DJ, and despite his unparalleled skills he'd be fighting at a handicap. Size matters a lot in this sport, just as Conor/Nate proved.

Conor is bigger than most because he talks and builds up fights well, that's why he's such a big star. He's good at promoting, probably the best at promoting the sport has ever seen. Not every fighter is going to be good at that part though.

Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion. Under what metric is Frankie Edgar a star, though? Seeing them?

He's the former lightweight champion, has main evented *many* times, and has been a big name in the UFC for several years now.

If Frankie Edgar walked through any mall in America like 3 people would recognize him. And two of those people would mistake him for a former cast member of Jersey Shore.

Heel

He's the former lightweight champion, has main evented *many* times, and has been a big name in the UFC for several years now.

Your definition of stardom seems pretty arbitrary. Surely you see the value of PPV numbers to gauge popularity in a real, meaningful way.

I think the term you're searching for is "fighters I personally think are good."

Jones PPVs do well when he has a credible opponent. If people think the other guy has a chance they will tune in to see Bones get beat. After Cormier, they can do good numbers if he moves up to heavyweight.

Faber - Cruz should do a good buyrate too. Urijah may be a hobbit but he can sell fights.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Frank Edgar is a fine human being and a legend of the sport. You sports entertainment fans need to go back to Wrassle-GAF.

Levito

Banned
Your definition of stardom seems pretty arbitrary. Surely you see the value of PPV numbers to gauge popularity in a real, meaningful way.

I think the term you're searching for is "fighters I personally think are good."

So main eventing several times or being a champ means nothing? I already said there's degrees of stardom, Frankie is not Conor or Ronda but you're kidding yourselves if you think he has no fans or no drawing power whatsoever.

Of course PPV numbers are a way to gauge popularity, but here's the thing: starpower alone is not all that's important to this game. CM Punk is going to be a bigger draw than 95% of fighters that's ever stepped into the cage, does that mean he should be fightng Robbie Lawler? At the end of the day this is a sport, people can talk themselves into title shots but if they can't back it up with martial arts ability then it's all for naught. Chael convinced people he had a chance against Jones with talk, Conor convinced people that he could take Lawler with talk, how'd that work out for them?

My response to Apharmd on 'stars' was towards their comment that the UFC has "too few stars in the sport today". When there's more stars than there ever has been, this mentality that UFC isn't as good as it used to be is really silly. On one hand complaining Bisping is getting a shot over Hall--when Bisping is clearly way more popular than Hall(and that's part of the reason he'd get the shot first), and on the other insinuate the UFC doesn't have as many stars as it used to. Only 10 years ago the only star was Tito, they barely put on PPVs without him. If y'all wanna get hung up on me bringing up Frankie, then by all means, but the point still stands that there at more draws and bigger stars now than there ever has been, by a long shot.

Top Bottom