• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

So Nate will get suspended for 6-12 months and be fined $100-250k. No biggie since the 3rd fight ain't happening anytime soon with McGregor's medical suspension and possible rematch with Aldo.

broz0rs

Nate couldn't wait just two hours to vape inside of a club, but in front of snitch reporters? smh

Also, Dana White wants Rumble vs. Jones to determine who fights Cormier. That's fucked up if it happens.

Nate couldn't wait just two hours to vape inside of a club, but in front of snitch reporters? smh

Also, Dana White wants Rumble vs. Jones to determine who fights Cormier. That's fucked up if it happens.

It makes perfect sense of Jones is somehow magically reinstated in the next few months. A Rumble/DC rematch right now with no build would draw like shit.

Weckum

I'm weirdly hyped about the Punk fight being this close. I don't even follow pro wrestling, but this seems like it might be a perfect UFC shitfest. I'm excited.

Gotta love him wearing all Gracie Academy gear then get repeatedly tapped out by bjj in sparring. I'm still rooting for the guy though. Dude probably has his inspirational post fight speach already written.

Chesskid1

Banned
evolution of punk was really good imo

dont know anything about his wrestling side but seeing mma training from nothing will be great to watch, never get to see fighters train much.

and i find it kind of inspiring too, actually seeing him in the gym and not looking great, and everyone around punk encouraging him.

Fox318

Anyone have any tips here on how to get UFC tickets as early as possible before the scalpers buy em up?

Thinking about getting UFC 205 tickets.

Good for Rory, better to get that Bellator money then work for pennies in UFC. This should be a huge wake up call for other fighters, stop giving a shit about being UFC champ when dudes like Hendo get a title shot over more deserving fighters.

If you think about it Conor fucked it all up, he made the status of being champion irrelevant when you can win a title then have 2 fights after that not even in the same division you won the title in.....then get a possible title fight in another weight division after.

I'm curious to see how Rory does against the Bellator 170 champ. That guy made Bendo look like an amateur. I know Bendo is a 155er but it was still a clinic.

Rory is one of my favorite current fighters and I'll be happy to watch him fight anywhere.

brentech

Good for Rory, better to get that Bellator money then work for pennies in UFC. This should be a huge wake up call for other fighters, stop giving a shit about being UFC champ when dudes like Hendo get a title shot over more deserving fighters.

If you think about it Conor fucked it all up, he made the status of being champion irrelevant when you can win a title then have 2 fights after that not even in the same division you won the title in.....then get a possible title fight in another weight division after.
You realize that Benson Henderson went over there and was immediately given a shot at the belt, up a weight class?
They are no better when it comes to that type of shit.

as opposed to the status of being a champion in a promotion where Kimbo Slice and DADA 5000 headlined a card?

Fox318

Reebok deal is going to lead to unionization and more fighters taking contracts with Bellator because they can make more with sponsors than they can whatever UFC lowball them.

broz0rs

Good for Rory. I'll always be thankful of him making Tyron Woodley look like a complete scrub in their fight. Perhaps Rory will open up the Canadian market for Bellator?

as opposed to the status of being a champion in a promotion where Kimbo Slice and DADA 5000 headlined a card?
Like being a UFC title holder means anything in and of itself. It takes personality and Rory's serial killer vibe ain't cutting it with casuals. Might as well get paid more versus worse competition. Every top ten fighter who doesn't move the needle should be licking their chops to go get overpaid by Bellator.

Like being a UFC title holder means anything in and of itself. It takes personality and Rory's serial killer vibe ain't cutting it with casuals. Might as well get paid more versus worse competition. Every top ten fighter who doesn't move the needle should be licking their chops to go get overpaid by Bellator.

I'm not saying it does. I'm saying the belts don't mean any more in Bellator than they do in UFC. In fact they probably mean less. Can you name 3 Bellator champions? It seems like they give top billing to sideshow fights over their own champs. Wanting the prestige of a title is not the reason to go to Bellator. That said, I don't begrudge Rory or anyone else from taking more money. This is their career. That's the name of the game.

I'm not saying it does. I'm saying the belts don't mean any more in Bellator than they do in UFC. In fact they probably mean less. Can you name 3 Bellator champions? It seems like they give top billing to sideshow fights over their own champs. Wanting the prestige of a title is not the reason to go to Bellator. That said, I don't begrudge Rory or anyone else from taking more money. This is their career. That's the name of the game.
Going to Bellator is never about the belts.

Heel

lmao @ Punk's striking from Ep. 2 of Evolution of Punk. I know that was a year ago but good god.

March 9th, 2015 - Duke Roufus: CM Punk is a ‘natural striker,’ and that ‘makes me happy’

CN6iaUjWIAAtIJ_.png:large

I said it a while ago that their over-promotion of Conor was going to bite them in the ass. Theyve made him a star almost bigger than the UFC itself, whose getting paid millions per (non-title) fight, can pick and choose his opponents. Hes making titles and ranking meaningless and has everyone chasing nothing but money fights

He really seems to be a decent dude, tho.

His wife is fucking fine, too.

Every main event should get ppv points, champion or not. Conor understood this and fought for it. All the other fighters are now chasing big money fights because fighting a Diaz brother or a GSP can easily double your millions.

I don't blame the UFC for over marketing Conor I blame the UFC for their greedy contracts.

Every main event should get ppv points, champion or not. Conor understood this and fought for it. All the other fighters are now chasing big money fights because fighting a Diaz brother or a GSP can easily double your millions.

I don't blame the UFC for over marketing Conor I blame the UFC for their greedy contracts.

Indeed. Also a share of the TV deals. Nate Diaz has been headlining TV cards for years, so never even had the opportunity for PPV points while the UFC gets 100% of the money from that TV deal. In most American professional sports, the players effectively get 50% of all the revenue. The UFC's books are private, but based on their credit ratings, fighter revenue share was estimated at 16.3% in 2011, so unless that's gone way up, the fighters really aren't seeing their fair share--and that seems likely considering they were able to sell for like $4B.

But what about those big locker room payouts from Dana?

I'm sure you're being sarcastic but I heard it best from Leslie Smith on the MMA Hour this past Monday.

She said something to the effect of the fact they give discretionary bonuses is a perfect indicator of how much money is left on the table for fighters. If they can be giving bonuses, why not just pay the fighters much more?

I'm sure you're being sarcastic but I heard it best from Leslie Smith on the MMA Hour this past Monday.

She said something to the effect of the fact they give discretionary bonuses is a perfect indicator of how much money is left on the table for fighters. If they can be giving bonuses, why not just pay the fighters much more?

Incentive is why. They want to encourage finishes and wars because that's what the fans want. Which makes some sense if only to avoid Fitch type tactics.

The problem is that the standard pay is way too low across the board and that's exacerbated by the sponsor restrictions.

Incentive is why. They want to encourage finishes and wars because that's what the fans want. Which makes some sense if only to avoid Fitch type tactics.

The problem is that the standard pay is way too low across the board and that's exacerbated by the sponsor restrictions.

Yeah, I understand that but it hasn't helped in that regard. Wrestlers still stall. Feels like more than ever.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I've said for years they should just have standard finishing bonuses.

Even though they're reportedly getting less than 20% of the revenue, they'll reject this offer to unionize. They'll think they can get Connor money if they just try harder. The old temporarily embarrassed millionaires.

brentech

So far, Cody has been very real in the cage, but on the mic and in this interview with Ariel, he just sounds so god damn fake.
His whole come back to Dominick is basically: "blah blah bitch, blah blah blah bitch, bitch, fear. bitch!"

Top Bottom