• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

So wait. Who do you think deserves the LW shot?

Tony Ferguson is on an 8 fight win streak. He deserves it more than Khabib.

I'd prefer Cowboy stay at WW but he deserves the title shot more than Khabib.

Hell, RDA for a rematch would be better.

Pfft, ok, dude. Let's give it to Cowboy who never can win the big fight. Let's give it to.....uh, who?

Khabib is the only legitimate answer outside of money fights. You're wrong and you know it.

Cowboy failing to win title fights is irrelevant to who deserves it more.

Khabib's activity consistency is shit. He has no wins over any big names other than RDA pre-championship.

There are 3 viable, legitimate options for the title shot. Khabib rack up some Ws worth writing home over before fighting for the title.

broz0rs

Khabib's camp getting the impression from UFC that they're not going to give him a title shot, so he's asking for Cowboy.

A day later, Cowboy vs Gastelgeum at UFC 205 rumors starting lol

Yup, and cant wait for his defence in 2018.
First a national primetime audience sat through 2 hours of pre-fight show hyping him as one of the greatest new hws just to see him get ktfo immediately live on Fox. Then he looked like an untrained sack of shit in front of his ancestral homeland because he didn't go to Mexico City early like an intelligent pro fighter would do. What will he do to top this?

Also I believe he actually won 3 times already and successfully defended against JDS in their second fight.

Tony Ferguson is on an 8 fight win streak. He deserves it more than Khabib.

I'd prefer Cowboy stay at WW but he deserves the title shot more than Khabib.

Hell, RDA for a rematch would be better.

And Khabib is on a 23 fight win streak. Khabib crushed his last opponent. Tony was getting worked by his. Cowboy and RDA are on a 0 fight win streak at LW. Keep trying, bud.

And Khabib is on a 23 fight win streak. Khabib crushed his last opponent. Tony was getting worked by his. Cowboy and RDA are on a 0 fight win streak at LW. Keep trying, bud.

23 fight streak, coming off a two year hiatus to beating a part time fighter that works fulltime to make ends meet. Hardly impressive, let alone worthy of a #1 ranking and title shot.

Tony has stayed active and fought 7 times since. He's active, he toughs it out and strings together Ws. They're not all dominating wins over top competition, but he's consistently active and on an 8 fight win streak. He's worked much harder than Khabib.

Cowboy is on a 3 fight win streak at WW and top tier LW. Before his loss to RDA, he was on one hell of a tear, with 8 wins against mostly top level LW, including a W over the current champ. Like Ferguson, he's stayed active, and he's game as fuck. Nobody can say shit about his work ethic or the time he puts in or begrudge him a shot.

RDA is the former champion, he got caught in the first round. The UFC set a precedent of champions getting rematches a very long time ago. He's still more worthy of the rematch than Khabib.

Khabib hasn't done anything to impress anyone. 22-0 over mostly cans and low level competition, and 1 legitimate opponent 2 years ago ain't worth shit. The fight to make with Khabib is the one that fell through last time: Khabib vs Ferguson, and that's assuming Ferguson doesn't get the shot some time soon, which he probably won't.

When Khabib was still healthy, he was only fighting cans because nobody else would sign the contract.

Of course they wouldn't. Matt Sera v GSP 1, Rousey v. Holm, Pettis v. Bendo 2, etc... All show what can happen when you take on a fighter who is lower ranked and doesn't deserve the fight to begin with.

Nearly any fight can go either way on any given night and risking a loss for zero gain is a bad move for anyone at this level of competition. Well except for CM Punk I guess.

Khabib's injuries are unfortunate but he needs to work his way up the ranks like anyone else. Jumping guys up and over the ranking system because they dominated unranked guys is shitty practice and ideally wouldn't happen at all. But it's a business and UFC wants money so maybe Khabib should work on marketing himself to force Dana to jump him up.

23 fight streak, coming off a two year hiatus to beating a part time fighter that works fulltime to make ends meet. Hardly impressive, let alone worthy of a #1 ranking and title shot.

Tony has stayed active and fought 7 times since. He's active, he toughs it out and strings together Ws. They're not all dominating wins over top competition, but he's consistently active and on an 8 fight win streak. He's worked much harder than Khabib.

Cowboy is on a 3 fight win streak at WW and top tier LW. Before his loss to RDA, he was on one hell of a tear, with 8 wins against mostly top level LW, including a W over the current champ. Like Ferguson, he's stayed active, and he's game as fuck. Nobody can say shit about his work ethic or the time he puts in or begrudge him a shot.

RDA is the former champion, he got caught in the first round. The UFC set a precedent of champions getting rematches a very long time ago. He's still more worthy of the rematch than Khabib.

Khabib hasn't done anything to impress anyone. 22-0 over mostly cans and low level competition, and 1 legitimate opponent 2 years ago ain't worth shit. The fight to make with Khabib is the one that fell through last time: Khabib vs Ferguson, and that's assuming Ferguson doesn't get the shot some time soon, which he probably won't.

Remind me who Ferguson has beaten again?

eXtv

Banned
Gastellum = a younger, fresher version of Rick Story.

Might be enough to wrestlefuck the Cowboy.
But if Cerrone wins, they will make him fight Maia for a shot at the belt.

(edit)
Saw some people talk about Cowboy vs. Masvidal. That would have been a great PPV opener

I don't think he wants to wrestle with Cowboy, but Gastelum's pressure is a good deal more technical and brutal than Story's. Very good fight.

VoxPop

I love how at everyone at 145-170 has just forgotten about being the best and now just wanting to get exposed enough to fight McGregor.

My ideal timeline would be

Alvarez/Conor @ 205

Conor either drops 145 belt or starches Aldo again in Dublin

Conor/Diaz III - 155 title

Put Khabib/Ferguson/RDA/Cowboy in a 4 way tourney like the Brock/Mir/Randy/Nog thing they did back in the day. None of these guys can draw so eliminating contenders wouldn't exactly be a bad thing. No way we're going to get 4 straight title defenses out of Conor/Diaz anyway.

Holloway gets next 145 shot or have him fight Pettis for it. Frankie is a blackhole.

Fox318

If Hendo wins at 204 does he have the greatest resume of any fighter ever?

The man has Wanderlei Silva's belt above his fire place.

zewone

Damn.

And yet come Monday, Faber will still be ranked higher than Rivera.

Easily called this. Ranking system is so fucked.

npp1JrF.png

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
But how often do you hear people call him the greatest of all time?
I think the issue is a lot of modern fans weren't around for his heyday. They dont remember how crazy PRIDE was when Hendo was crushing skulls. Also he kinda has that stench from TRT.

eXtv

Banned
But how often do you hear people call him the greatest of all time?

I mean, he's not, he has the best list of wins in MMA, but he's not the greatest. He just was never consistently dominant like all the GOATs (GSP, Anderson, Fedor) were. To be the greatest, to me, you need to be the best, and for a long period of time.

Remind me who Ferguson has beaten again?

Since Khabib went on hiatus, Ferguson's biggest win is over #4 ranked LW Edson Barboza. He's also had a few other notable wins over Josh Thomson, a former Strikeforce LW champion and the only person to TKO Nate Diaz, and Gleison Tibeau, who is a decent fighter.

I'd say the W over Barboza alone should put him ahead of Khabib.

Since Khabib went on hiatus, Ferguson's biggest win is over #4 ranked LW Edson Barboza. He's also had a few other notable wins over Josh Thomson, a former Strikeforce LW champion and the only person to TKO Nate Diaz, and Gleison Tibeau, who is a decent fighter.

I'd say the W over Barboza alone should put him ahead of Khabib.

But complete domination of the former champ is less meaningful? Lulz, wut?

McGregor doing some mocap for Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare.

But complete domination of the former champ is less meaningful? Lulz, wut?

Complete domination over 2 years ago before said champ really hit his prime. But yeah, totally equivalent.

Yeah, dude. Beating the ex UFC champ doesn't mean as much as beating a former Strikeforce champ that hasn't been doing well.

It means a whole lot fucking more than a career based one ONE legitimate W next to beating 22 opponents ranging from cans to absolute nobodies.

Hot damn.

Chael Sonnen is returning to mixed martial arts with the Bellator promotion, the veteran fighter tells The Associated Press.

The 39-year-old Sonnen signed a multiyear, multi-fight deal with the UFC’s largest competitor on Thursday night, Bellator confirmed to the AP.

Sonnen has fought for the UFC middleweight and light heavyweight titles during a tumultuous MMA career. The talkative, versatile fighter became one of the sport’s most visible figures before he received a two-year suspension in 2014 for failing a drug test.

Sonnen announced his retirement after that positive test, and he repeatedly denied interest in returning. When asked Thursday why he took that stance, Sonnen said: “I’m a heel. Heels lie.”

Of course. Beating somebody like Gleison Tibau? That's much more deserving of a shot than beating the cans that Khabib has beaten, like Gleison Tibau.

In another post I said he mostly beat cans, i.e. not all of them were cans. I may have gotten progressively more hyperbolic with my annoyance at this inane insistence Khabib is in any way deserving of a title shot over active fighters, but Khabib beat Tibau in 2012 whereas Tibau was just one of 7 fighters Ferguson has beat in the time since Khabib was injured, during which he fought 3 times a year on average.

There's no comparing the "What have you done for me lately" situation when it comes to Khabib and Ferguson. The former took 2 years off whilst the latter spent those years fighting as often as he could and not losing once.

Only way Khabib should get the title shot over Ferguson is if he beats him for the title eliminator, and even that I would say is unfair to Ferguson.

Heel

While I agree that Khabib tha Gawd is likely our future champion, you don't get a title shot by fighting "Darrell Horcher" in a two year span. That's even by the loosest of "I totally believe this is a legitimate sport" standards, let alone the reality of prize fighting.

brentech

While I agree that Khabib tha Gawd is likely our future champion, you don't get a title shot by fighting "Darrell Horcher" in a two year span. That's even by the loosest of "I totally believe this is a legitimate sport" standards, let alone the reality of prize fighting.

Yep. Dude needs AT LEAST one more fight before he should be fighting for a belt unless it's because he's a replacement.

Banglish

Because he's the best talker in the business. Doesn't back it up that often, but his verbal smackdowns are better than 99% of MMA fighters out there. I just love to hear Chael talk.

Nah Connor takes that. Or the Diaz bros. Everything Chael says is contrived as hell.

SteveWD40

The premise of Chael working a program with Tito, Royce, Wand or Fedor is fuckery I can get behind.

I am happy with anything that gets me more Sonnen. My favorite period in recent MMA was when he was heeling the fuck of out Brazil, it helps he is a truly nice guy behind it all.

Eanan

I prefer Chael to Conor, but Diaz brothers are the best tho.
LOL

Im sure you wouldn't be saying that if Nate Diaz never fought McGregor and you never jumped on the Diaz bandwagon as a result.

The Diaz brothers can barely talk, they just insult and are loudmouths that shout about stockton, ya feel me ?

Chael has the deepest book of pre written colloquial insults, Conor has tough guy talk on lock, and Nate Diaz has street animosity. Nick barely talks and mostly just mean mugs.

None of them are particularly impressive trash talkers but they stand out because most don't trash talk much. So people eat their stuff up.

eXtv

Banned
Nick's Jordan Breen Show interview after the Mike Aina fight >>>> the collective output of Conor McGregor (Rick Flair), Chael Sonnen (Superstar Billy Graham) and Nate Diaz (Nate Diaz)

Top Bottom