• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Gotta make one of your most marketable guys look good in a squash match.
Giving him someone like Michael Johnson might give Showtime 2 losses in a row.

Lmao Johnson lost to Jury dude. Only people in the division who should be giving Pettis any trouble/losses right now are RDA and Khabib. I'm surprised they didn't just give him an immediate rematch with RDA if they want to fast track him so badly back to a title shot. He might've gotten whooped when he lost his belt to him but he still went 5 rounds with a broken orbital, it's not like he got dropped embarrassingly like Silva did against Weidman, who still got an immediate retry for his belt.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Phil Davis is apparently heading to Bellator.

With Francis Carmont and now Davis on their roster, Coker is definitely going places.

industrian

Watching Phil Davis fight is frustrating. Not just because you know it's just 15 mins of background noise to a nerd chat, but also because you know he could easily have turned out like Jones.

He has the same athleticism and physicality, but whereas Jones had the confidence to let his hands go and to style on his opponents with his growing abilities, Davis just kept doing what he always did because it worked for him. But by doing that he fell into the trap that every grappler eventually falls into: when you fight someone who can nullify your wrestling, and you get embarrassed and exposed by your inability to do anything else.

I wish him the best in Bellator if he ends up there. God knows their LHW division needs some talent in it.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
http://www.mmanews.com/video-cm-punk-demonstrates-one-of-his-favorite-submission-techniques/

ibqE5vudHG97Kp.gif

Dana, my offer to lay down still stands.

He should have thrown his right leg over his left that way he'd be able to turn his torso more into it. Other than that though...he's going to get killed.

Yeah, he definitely got exposed in his fight with Rashad and Johnson. Evans out wrestled him if I recall (but don't quote me).

And Johnson completely nullified his wrestling and exposed his poor stand up.

I'm sure Bellator offered him a lot more than Zuffa. Zuffa probably offered him the fair market price while Bellator offered him above due to his UFC credentials.

MjFrancis

On the aftermath of Cro Cop's victory, I noted to a friend that few fighters retire on a satisfying note. Cro Cop will inevitably either fight a few more cans to pad his win record or lose to a couple more competent fighters and call it a career.

He brought up Chris Lytle as a guy who bucked that trend. GSP could be the only other one we could think of, and even he ended his career on a controversial decision after a streak of middling decision victories.

Anyone else retire before Father Time checked in?

Phil Davis is responsible for busting my mega magic parlay when he fought Machida in fucking brazil and they..th..they gave HIM the victory.

I wish Davis nothing but the best...

On the aftermath of Cro Cop's victory, I noted to a friend that few fighters retire on a satisfying note. Cro Cop will inevitably either fight a few more cans to pad his win record or lose to a couple more competent fighters and call it a career.

He brought up Chris Lytle as a guy who bucked that trend. GSP could be the only other one we could think of, and even he ended his career on a controversial decision after a streak of middling decision victories.

Nah...most of the guys have to push it because they are prize fighters...and the prize comes first baby.

IKizzLE

Lmao Johnson lost to Jury dude. Only people in the division who should be giving Pettis any trouble/losses right now are RDA and Khabib. I'm surprised they didn't just give him an immediate rematch with RDA if they want to fast track him so badly back to a title shot. He might've gotten whooped when he lost his belt to him but he still went 5 rounds with a broken orbital, it's not like he got dropped embarrassingly like Silva did against Weidman, who still got an immediate retry for his belt.
You must of not seen the new and improved Johnson. And Pettis doesn't do pressure well.

FUME5

Bas Rutten maybe?

MjFrancis

Bas Rutten maybe?
Bas Rutten is a great answer to that. The sport was in it's infancy, but his record and reputation seem spot on. I knew him as a PRIDE commentator and formerly accomplished fighter, but looking at his record I should really go back and check him out.

Maybe the best answer to that question.

Bas Rutten is a great answer to that. The sport was in it's infancy, but his record and reputation seem spot on. I knew him as a PRIDE commentator and formerly accomplished fighter, but looking at his record I should really go back and check him out.

Maybe the best answer to that question.
Matt Hume? Bas only quit cuz his knees were shot.

VoxPop

I'd say Anderson Silva will retire on a good note. He's a level above everyone at 185/205 except the champions and I don't really see him looking for a title shot any time soon. And Father Time never really got to him. As sad as it is to say, Weidman is just flat out better than him overall. Or at least for now.

dream

While I agree with most of your post, I don't think it's accurate to say that the Wildman is better than Anderson because of two fluke finishes, VoxPop.

VoxPop

The first fight was definitely Silva's to take. He was growing with immense popularity since the Belfort spot and the Sonnen rematch and got a little too dance happy. He had Weidman's legs flailing harder than the wacky inflatable tubeman with those leg kicks and was on his way to getting into his head before the KO as shown by Weidman's disdain of his taunting postfight.

Not exactly sure what happened the second fight but I can say that Weidman has some terribly underrated power in his hands. He dropped Silva from the get go and dominated on the ground even attempting a damn can opener. Silva did some nice work off his back though and even opened up a cut on the Chris. His leg snapping from a checked kick is definitely the flukiest of fluky finishes but Weidman had looked great up to that point as well. He's a quick learner and definitely had improved for the rematch thanks to Serra/Longo. A far cry from the shit show against Maia and Munoz or even his first fight with Silva. But yeah it was Silva after all and he could have came back to win at any given time.

Would love to see a third match and him getting the W just like how CroCop did against Gonz. While Anderson didn't exactly show the same sharpness in the Diaz fight, I give him the free pass for being the GOAT and coming off the huge layoff + injury. Weidman did show some vulnerabilities in his Machida fight and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Silva picked him apart while avoiding the ground if it were to happen.

VoxPop

Yup, Fedor lost.

Excited to see him joust one day.

the real GOAT on the other hand

Anderson Silva reaches agreement with Brazilian Taekwondo Federation, will compete in the Olympic trials

and the mouse

Demetrious Johnson: 'If People Don’t Want to Watch UFC 186, That’s Their Fucking Bad’

Suddenly, Demetrious Johnson was the last man standing atop a card that many fans are threatening to boycott because it doesn’t fit their definition of “pay-per-view worthy.”

Go ahead and save your $60, Johnson says. It won’t hurt his feelings if you choose to skip his flyweight title defense against Japanese contender Kyoji Horiguchi. When it comes to selling fights and self-promotion, Johnson maintains the same philosophy he had as a shoe salesman years ago.

“I used to work at Journeys shoe store; I was assistant manager,” Johnson said during a recent appearance on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “And my manager was always like, ‘Hey man, make sure you push these socks.’ And I was like, ‘Dude, if somebody comes in this shoe store and they want to buy f-----g shoes, they’ll buy a pair of shoes. If they need a pair of socks, they’ll buy a pair of socks. I’m not gonna try to push a pair of socks on some dude with a drawer full of socks.

industrian

It's so nice to see that "Anderson could have beat Weidman if it weren't for ..." has more longevity than "Fedor could have beat Werdum if it weren't for..."

Let it go, brehs. Let it go.

Yeah, he definitely got exposed in his fight with Rashad and Johnson. Evans out wrestled him if I recall (but don't quote me).

And Johnson completely nullified his wrestling and exposed his poor stand up.

At the time, the consensus of Rashad vs. Davis was that Davis got the jitters from being in a headlining fight on national TV and was caught in the headlights. But then Rumble came along and dismantled him in the same way.

Speaking of which, I'd like to still see Rashad vs. DC. But at this point Rashad is as done as Shogun. Losing that fight to Nog will forever be one of those "what ifs" in UFC history.

Cole Konrad. Retired undefeated with the belt. But it's obvious from interviews after his retirement that MMA was just considered a side project for him. That and Bellator never even gave him a fight, let alone a push to be a star.

Kenny Florian also comes to mind, but IIRC he was forced into retirement due to injury.

Razdek

Banned
Gotta make one of your most marketable guys look good in a squash match.
Giving him someone like Michael Johnson might give Showtime 2 losses in a row.

I like a good squash match as the next guy but he might as well just bring back Jamie Varner from retirement and squash him. This fight does nothing for Pettis even if he kicks a hole in Jury.

Razdek

Banned
While I agree with most of your post, I don't think it's accurate to say that the Wildman is better than Anderson because of two fluke finishes, VoxPop.

Anderson's insisting to have a rematch with Diaz when he can have any number of more interesting fights indicates he's already checked out. Every fighter has that one guy they can't beat and Wideman is Anderson's.

industrian

“I used to work at Journeys shoe store; I was assistant manager,” Johnson said during a recent appearance on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “And my manager was always like, ‘Hey man, make sure you push these socks.’ And I was like, ‘Dude, if somebody comes in this shoe store and they want to buy f-----g shoes, they’ll buy a pair of shoes. If they need a pair of socks, they’ll buy a pair of socks. I’m not gonna try to push a pair of socks on some dude with a drawer full of socks.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that comparing yourself to a pair of cheap socks isn't really the best thing to do.

iddqd

Speaking of retirement - is Amir Sadollah officially retired yet or is he still floating around on the roster like Rich Franklin?

Hey, if Mike Swick can come back, so can anyone! (Fighting this July after fighting in December 2012 for the last time)

MjFrancis

Matt Brown has gone 3-2 since fighting Swick. Honestly I had no idea Swick was still on the roster.

Speaking of retirement - is Amir Sadollah officially retired yet or is he still floating around on the roster like Rich Franklin?

Amir Sadollah fought Akiyama seven months ago, both of them coming off of two year layoffs and neither of them are scheduled to fight anytime soon right now. They're already effectively retired.

And speaking of other semi-retired fighters, the Korean Zombie is apparently taking a hiatus to complete mandatory military service in South Korea. He's got 1 1/2 years left of that plus a 3-6 month training camp for whatever fight he takes. He will have taken a three year break if he ever returns to MMA.

I don't even remember the last time Rashad fought. Does he even have a fight announced? He's gotta be the fighter with the longest layoffs besides Cruz.

MjFrancis

Rashad Evans is practically on a retirement circuit too. Last fought Chael Sonnen and old man Henderson in 2013. Been sidelined on injuries since. It seems easy for guys in the LHW division to fade away in the Jon Jones era.

industrian

I don't even remember the last time Rashad fought. Does he even have a fight announced? He's gotta be the fighter with the longest layoffs besides Cruz.

IIRC November 2013 against Chael Sonnen.

He's just had another knee surgery and will possibly be back at the end of the year.

If his knees get better then I still want to see him fight DC. If not, then hopefully we'll get a legacy fight of Shogun vs. Rashad.

Phil Davis sucks and always will suck. I don't see this "potential" everyone is talking about. He's like the Kofi Kingston of the LHW division and even that is too much.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I'm amused that Rockhold is the betting favorite for this weekend's fight. He's primarily a BJJ grappler with OK kickboxing and the only high level striker he's fought has been Vitor. We saw how that turned out.

Bet the house on RYU THE DRAGON.

Top Bottom