• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

So rumor has it that McGregor vs Alvarez fell through because Eddie wanted too much money. So he was punished with having to fight Khabib instead and since he didn't sign now he's past the deadline and bumped to 206.

This is insane. So what's Conor gonna do now? Does the UFC really want to rely on Aldo showing up on their biggest event ever? I would bet a substantial amount of money that he pulls. All this talk about praying for a chance to redeem himself feels like just talk to me. He's afraid and all he wants is for McGregor to move on to lightweight and never having to face him again. That would allow him to save face and claim McGregor was afraid of giving him another chance, which is of course complete bullshit.

When RDA pulled out, they offered the rematch to him and what did he do? Do you imagine Conor turning down a rematch with Nate right after he lost, even if it was on short notice? Dude's afraid. He's also most certainly not looking forward to another media tour with Conor. Could you imagine the amount of verbal abuse he would have to endure, especially due to the way he lost. I'm telling you, if they book that fight watch Aldo stubbing his toe and pulling. And then what would happen to 205? Edgar already has an opponent, so I guess it could be Holloway, but that's not the main event you want for 205.

So far there aren't any really exciting fights booked and it's looking more and more like 200 2.0.

Heel

Not surprised to see fighters/agents testing the new management when it comes to negotiating payouts. A lot of stories like that recently.

-MD-

I don't get this at all. How can people not be excited for a rematch between them?

Yeah I don't get it either, we had all that build up and the fight was a dud, we didn't get to see anything.

To me that's still a fresh matchup and a potentially legendary fight. Hope it happens.

geardo

Yeah I don't get it either, we had all that build up and the fight was a dud, we didn't get to see anything.

To me that's still a fresh matchup and a potentially legendary fight. Hope it happens.

Agreed. Conor got into Aldo's head in the first fight and Aldo behaved recklessly and ate a lucky punch. Aldo didn't take the last offer because he wasn't ready to fight on just 11 days, not because he was afraid, lol.

Eanan

Agreed. Conor got into Aldo's head in the first fight and Aldo behaved recklessly and ate a lucky punch. Aldo didn't take the last offer because he wasn't ready to fight on just 11 days, not because he was afraid, lol.
Stopped reading at "lucky punch".

Sweet Jesus.

Thats what the UFC always feared. Theyve been pretty transparent with the guaranteed fight purses Conor got and now everybody is going crazy.

Nate went crazy and all he did was talk about money (his payjump was insane for the Conor fights). Eddie went crazy and they kicked him off 205.

This is just about to start.

geardo

Thats what the UFC always feared. Theyve been pretty transparent with the guaranteed fight purses Conor got and now everybody is going crazy.

Nate went crazy and all he did was talk about money (his payjump was insane for the Conor fights). Eddie went crazy and they kicked him off 205.

This is just about to start.

It's part of the reason why the fighters need to unionize. Aside from a few top guys, everyone else makes jack shit.

Dysun

Good for these guys to stand up for what they think they are worth, but I just want to see exciting fights
justbleed gif

This is insane. So what's Conor gonna do now? Does the UFC really want to rely on Aldo showing up on their biggest event ever? I would bet a substantial amount of money that he pulls. All this talk about praying for a chance to redeem himself feels like just talk to me. He's afraid and all he wants is for McGregor to move on to lightweight and never having to face him again. That would allow him to save face and claim McGregor was afraid of giving him another chance, which is of course complete bullshit.

When RDA pulled out, they offered the rematch to him and what did he do? Do you imagine Conor turning down a rematch with Nate right after he lost, even if it was on short notice? Dude's afraid. He's also most certainly not looking forward to another media tour with Conor. Could you imagine the amount of verbal abuse he would have to endure, especially due to the way he lost. I'm telling you, if they book that fight watch Aldo stubbing his toe and pulling.

This is quite honestly the most shocking shit I have read in MMA communities for a while.

Do you have any fucking idea who Jose Aldo even is?

This is quite honestly the most shocking shit I have read in MMA communities for a while.

Do you have any fucking idea who Jose Aldo even is?

Yes. He is the guy that let the mind games get to him and got knocked the fuck out in 13 seconds by McGregor.

You could see the fear when in the walk to the octagon then and if you think the fear has dissipated after the KO then I don't know what to tell you.

All we know for sure is that he had a chance to avenge his loss on 11 days notice after saying he would fight McGregor anytime anywhere and went running, yet Nate Diaz answered the call, won convincingly and became rich in the process.

Yes. He is the guy that let the mind games get to him and got knocked the fuck out in 13 seconds by McGregor.

You could see the fear when in the walk to the octagon then and if you think the fear has dissipated after the KO then I don't know what to tell you.

All we know for sure is that he had a chance to avenge his loss on 11 days notice after saying he would fight McGregor anytime anywhere and went running, yet Nate Diaz answered the call, won convincingly and became rich in the process.

This is *similar to what people were saying about Michael Johnson when he fought Poirer (sp) lol

This is *similar to what people were saying about Michael Johnson when he fought Poirer (sp) lol

People said it about McGregor too walking in and standing in the cage for the second Diaz fight.

Folks get too invested and start seeing what they want to. Like/Support/Cheer the fighters you like, by all means, but creating entire stories over nothing is a bit much.

There's plenty enough showmanship and real drama in the sport. Nobody has to start reaching for stuff like this.

This reads like the same garbage I see from people that have only recently begun watching MMA and think McGregor is the greatest fighter to ever step foot in the octagon. You clearly don't know your MMA history.

Jose Aldo is arguably the #1 P4P fighter alive today. He went 10 years undefeated against top competition.

He let McGregor get in his head and it cost him the fight, but you have to be completely delusional or on that fanboy high if you think he's afraid of the guy in the slightest.

Aldo had his reasons for turning down the rematch opportunity. He was recovering from a vicious KO and getting back into the gym and didn't think it was smart to go for the rematch on such short notice, which I don't think would have gone well for him.

Presently, it's a different story altogether. Aldo only recently made Frankie fucking Edgar look like a novice in 5 rounds of one one-sided domination. I haven't seen a clinic like that in combat sports since Mayweather/Alvarez.

If you think Aldo is afraid of McGregor or that rematch will go the same way, you are in dire need to acquaint yourself with who the fuck Jose Aldo is.

People said it about McGregor too walking in and standing in the cage for the second Diaz fight.

Folks get too invested and start seeing what they want to. Like/Support/Cheer the fighters you like, by all means, but creating entire stories over nothing is a bit much.

There's plenty enough showmanship and real drama in the sport. Nobody has to start reaching for stuff like this.

I think the crossover between WWE/SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT and MMA fans causes them to make drama where there isn't any. I hate the fake shit talk when it's obviously forced, but it seems a good chunk enjoy it.

I also think crazygambit is trolling lol

-MD-

So rumor has it that McGregor vs Alvarez fell through because Eddie wanted too much money. So he was punished with having to fight Khabib instead and since he didn't sign now he's past the deadline and bumped to 206.

When RDA pulled out, they offered the rematch to him and what did he do? Do you imagine Conor turning down a rematch with Nate right after he lost, even if it was on short notice? Dude's afraid. He's also most certainly not looking forward to another media tour with Conor. Could you imagine the amount of verbal abuse he would have to endure, especially due to the way he lost. I'm telling you, if they book that fight watch Aldo stubbing his toe and pulling. And then what would happen to 205? Edgar already has an opponent, so I guess it could be Holloway, but that's not the main event you want for 205.

So far there aren't any really exciting fights booked and it's looking more and more like 200 2.0.

Lmao

I'm acquainted with who Jose Aldo was. If you think post USADA Aldo is the same as WEC Aldo you're insane.

That fight with Edgar showed an overly cautious Aldo happy to win on points. I didn't see champion material there.

Are we really saying the guy that got completely obliterated in 13 sexonds is favored in the rematch? Maybe Rumble should rematch Teixeira, I'm sure Glover is looking forward to that.

Next you'll tell me McGregor is the one that's afraid of the rematch.

I'm acquainted with who Jose Aldo was. If you think post USADA Aldo is the same as WEC Aldo you're insane.

That fight with Edgar showed an overly cautious Aldo happy to win on points. I didn't see champion material there.

Are we really saying the guy that got completely obliterated in 13 sexonds is favored in the rematch? Maybe Rumble should rematch Teixeira, I'm sure Glover is looking forward to that.

Here's a crazy thought...

Maybe neither of them is afraid of the other?

Quit the bickering and talk about how terrible Cyborg looks. She's like stage 1 or 2 POW status

I can't really feel sorry for her. Her frame is comparable to the bigger 135 fighters in the division, like she isn't much bigger than Holly Holm, yet she refuses to lose muscle mass gained through steroids and instead do these massive cuts.

Like you know all the money fights are at 135, there's no competition yet in higher weight classes, but since she doesn't want to give up one of her biggest advantages, she's instead whinning about how hard the cut is by publicly showing how miserable she is right now to pressure the UFC to create a division just for her.

Hell half of the media is buying into it already, but like I said I just can't feel sorry for her.

Sounds more like you don't know who or what you're talking about. In fact, it's painfully obvious you're ignorant.

"Post USADA" Aldo as you would put it just dominated Frankie Edgar, who many people had pegged to beat both Aldo and McGregor, and still do when it comes to the latter.

Aldo didn't point fight. He neutralised Frankie's greatest strength, i.e. wrestling, and beat Frankie standing utilising crisp boxing, excellent movement, and downright masterful takedown defense.

The McGregor fight was completely different. Aldo went in hot and got caught flush. Mind games won that fight. We didn't actually see a real fight beyond those few seconds. How a rematch would go is anyone's guess.

I don't know why you would think any top level competitor is afraid of fighting other top level competitors. It's laughably juvenile.

VoxPop

I can't really feel sorry for her. Her frame is comparable to the bigger 135 fighters in the division, like she isn't much bigger than Holly Holm, yet she refuses to lose muscle mass gained through steroids and instead do these massive cuts.

Like you know all the money fights are at 135, there's no competition yet in higher weight classes, but since she doesn't want to give up one of her biggest advantages, she's instead whinning about how hard the cut is by publicly showing how miserable she is right now to pressure the UFC to create a division just for her.

Hell half of the media is buying into it already, but like I said I just can't feel sorry for her.

HpNt8I0.png

Sakakibara at it again

Wand and Krazy Horse 2016

Carnies always gonna carny

Heel

Only 11 more pounds to go!

Im sick of people clamouring for money fights (aka, fighting McGregor) now. Like Alvarez, youre the champion, youre supposed to be the fuckin money fight.
I dont know what half of these fighters are gonna do when Conor retires. Im all for fighters getting more pay but maybe put some fucking work into promoting your own stock instead of trying to latch onto McGregor to get a money fight.

Geez. Cyborg is gonna die. Yeah they need to find a solution for her. I dont think she can keep this up for more fights to come.

Im sick of people clamouring for money fights (aka, fighting McGregor) now. Like Alvarez, youre the champion, youre supposed to be the fuckin money fight.
I dont know what half of these fighters are gonna do when Conor retires. Im all for fighters getting more pay but maybe put some fucking work into promoting your own stock instead of trying to latch onto McGregor to get a money fight.

Thats the problem. All they see is how much more money somebody else makes and they want it too. Conor atleast is talkative and is actively marketing his fight and his opponent. Almost the entire roster doesnt give a crap about these PR events.

UFC missed the hugh opportunity to launch a new woman weight class of 145 with Cyborg main eventing this Brazil card. No doubt another big name like Holm or Zingano would have stepped up to fight Cyborg for a chance to become the first 145 champion. At this silly catch weight though, there's no incentive for the 135's to step up. Bring in some invicta 145ers and the occasional 135er stepping up and you have a new division with a new star, Cyborg, the female Wanderlei Silva.

Cyborg is 5'8". Rousey 5'7". Holm 5'8".

What makes it so difficult for her to cut weight is the muscle mass. She has popped hot before and like Horsemeat Overeem, most likely that muscle mass is/was from PEDs.

Don't really care about her struggle to make weight and don't care to see a division built around her.

SteveWD40

Cyborg is 5'8". Rousey 5'7". Holm 5'8".

What makes it so difficult for her to cut weight is the muscle mass. She has popped hot before and like Horsemeat Overeem, most likely that muscle mass is/was from PEDs.

Don't really care about her struggle to make weight and don't care to see a division built around her.

Yeah, fuck that, Wand in a dress only has a few years left by the looks of it.

Top Bottom