• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

At this point, I hope Aldo beats Pettis/Holloway at FW and then moves up to 155 to beat McGregor for the 155 belt, thus stealing his dream as a legitimate two division champion.

Biggest card in the history of MMA. Hats off for the new management for making this happen. It's gonna be a nightmare if the PPV goes over time with all those championship fights. Service providers have pulled the plug during main events due to going over time. I guess these new owners can pull strings and call shots to make sure this doesn't happen for 205. I can't wait for the spectacle.

Really hope I can get tickets for this one. Never been to a UFC event before and my friend who usually has no interest in MMA just texted me about going. Fingers crossed...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Fantastic card other than the Tate, Carmouche, and Boetsch fights, which are just "OK" and probably wouldn't stand out as mediocre on any normal card (hell they'd probably be co-mains or mains on most Fight Nights).

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Whew. Hopefully nobody gets injured.
Eddie Alvarez (c) vs. Conor McGregor
Tyron Woodley (c) vs. Stephen Thompson
Joanna Jędrzejczyk (c) vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz
Chris Weidman vs. Yoel Romero
Donald Cerrone vs. Kelvin Gastelum
Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Michael Johnson
Miesha Tate vs. Raquel Pennington
Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens
Tim Kennedy vs. Rashad Evans
Tim Boetsch vs. Rafael Natal
Jim Miller vs. Thiago Alves
Lyman Good vs. Belal Muhammad
Liz Carmouche vs. Katlyn Chookagian

Eanan

Legendary presser. The last imposter fan will go down as a classic moment.

Also, call 911 for Jeremy Stephens, conor killed him

White was more interested in creating a monster card for New York than doing the Aldo/Conor rematch.

UFC 205 could make over 2 million PPV buys.

Original article

Translation from reddit
How did you find out the main card for UFC 205 is gonna be between Conor McGregor and Eddie Alvarez?

I found everything out through my coach. He had spoken to Sean Shelby on saturday and Sean didn't have any answered and asked if I'd be ready to fight on the 12th of November. My coach said that if it was against Conor then yes, then Sean asked what if the fight was against Max Holloway or Anthony Pettis. Dedé (Aldo's coach) said that for those two he's prefer having a full camp and that it could be on the 10th of December. So we waited until Dana publically announced that he'd like for the McGregor fight to happen. We waited anxiously to see what would happen : I'd either have my revenge/rematch for the title unification bout or I'd have my belt back fighting either Pettis or Holloway, since according to Dana himself Conor wouldn't be allowed to keep both belts. For my surprise, I found out last night about McGregor vs Alvarez, which had already been denied by Dana last week, and to make things worst he'd keep the Featherweight belt, being allowed to have two belts at the same time.

What did you think about the UFC letting Conor keep his title despite not having fought in the division since your first fight?

Conor himself had said before that he no way he'd ever give up the belt, and that no one would take it from him. After all this, I see that I can't trust a word Dana White says (Aldo was never my friend) and that who's really in charged is Conor McGregor. Since i'm not here to be Conor's employee, today I ask that my contract with the UFC be terminated. When they proposed the Frankie Edgar fight to me, Dana said the winner of that fight would challenge McGregor, or that it would be for the real title, because if he didn't come back to the division after the Nate Diaz rematch he'd lose his belt. After so many times being fooled, I don't feel motivated to fight in the UFC anymore.

Dana said that independent of the result of the fight against Alvarez, McGregor will have to defend the featherweight belt after... (he actually said something different in the press conference today, he said McGregor will have to vacate one of the titles, up to him which)

I don't believe in Dana's confirmation that Conor will have to give up one of the belts after UFC 205, after all, as we are seeing, these type of decisions are not in his hands anymore, the one who calls the shots now is Conor. The biggest proof that the one in charged of the UFC is Conor is that whenn I wanted to go up in weight to fight Pettis, they told me that I'd have to give up my belt and go into the fight without any belt. With Conor, on top of letting him fight in the weight class above without losing his fight, they also let him take any fights as he pleases. I don't want any type of feud with the UFC. The only thing I want is to go on with my life, and they go on with theirs.

The UFC has fucked Aldo three times now:

1. when they denied him the immediate rematch despite a 10 year dominant reign, 2. when they allowed Conor to immediately rematch Nate, and now 3. by allowing Conor to challenge Alvarez for the lightweight belt before fighting Aldo to unify the featherweight belts.

I'd love for Aldo to stay so we can get that rematch eventually, but he is well justified in wanting to leave for another promotion.

Khabib seemed to roll up his sleeves and get over it asap and took the MJ fight.

Aldo seems to still be sulking.

Nah that definitely isn't sulking. It's absolutely ridiculous that the 145 champ is healthy and active and they have an interim 145 champ at the same time who is also healthy and active and they keep putting off the unification fight for money shows.

AND they want the Interim Champ to keep fighting interim title fights in the meantime which will garner less of everything for him because it's largely going to be viewed as fake.

The featherweight title is being treated like it's worthless by Conor, a man who hasn't defended it even once, and the UFC is essentially co-signing that treatment by letting it happen. It's like a terrible joke.

Aldo made good money for the UFC. Just not Lesnar money.

His PPV numbers are pretty pedestrian. He's not a big draw by any means, I think the UFC would like to keep him around just because of the allure of a potential Conor rematch, but I don't think they'll move mountains for him, and he's getting bad advice if he thinks he's got leverage here.

His PPV numbers are pretty pedestrian. He's not a big draw by any means, I think the UFC would like to keep him around just because of the allure of a potential Conor rematch, but I don't think they'll move mountains for him, and he's getting bad advice if he thinks he's got leverage here.

I'm not saying the guy has leverage or suggesting this is an attempt at leverage. I'm saying let's not pretend the guy gets Mighty Mouse numbers for his PPV's. Not only was his reign a dominant one but the guys highlight reel grabbed attention.

You shouldn't have to pull insane numbers to get a title fight when you have the performance record Aldo has. Then you add that it's a unification bout AND that Conor hasn't defended his belt once and the whole thing becomes silly.

This situation rivals boxing promotions posturing and delaying for cash fights but at least in boxing the have the excuse of it being numerous different promoters causing the problems.

The ppv numbers for this might well be over 2 million. All the usually bars will be so packed that I think many will decide to order the fight in the comfort of their own home. Personally, I wanna see all the fights on the card and sure don't wanna be sitting on an uncomfortable bar stool the whole time.

Levito

Banned
Khabib is now fighting Michael Johnson.

Honestly I think Khabib has way less right to be angry than Aldo. Khabib will IMO probably be champion in the future, but he was MIA for 2 years then fought someone you've never heard of on two weeks notice. Tony Ferguson and RDA have more claim to a title shot than Khabib right now. Aldo on the other hand has been lied to several times about a rematch with Conor. He was a dominant champion, and even came back to fuck up Edgar.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
If you have any respect for MMA as a sport, you have to be on Aldos side.

Fuck Dana White. WMEFGHIJKLMNOP should have cut Dana his check and said fuck off.

Jerm411

They'd have to start the PPV at 9 then....right? Having an event go until 2am in NYC might not be the best idea

You would think so...hell if it me, I'd make the Fight Pass fights be the prelims and have a ginormous card. Make it 5 hours, charge $10 more or something.

They're already going big with this, might as well go stupid crazy with it....

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/9/2...peaks-at-1-3-million-for-cris-cyborg-mma-news

UFC Brasilia on FS1 was the highest rated Fight Night of 2016.

I can't believe some here were asking her to get cut and that there shouldn't be a 145 division.

Rhonda is a big girl who lost at 135. Let her and Cyborg host TUF and train girls in 145 with Rhonda and Cyborg eventually fighting on a ppv.

Ratings usually jump for weird fights. Bellator got a ratings boost for it's over the hill fighter ME's and Kimbo vs Dada 5000 fight. CM Punk drew huge for his fight.

Random ratings spikes don't mean the fights are entertaining and they certainly don't mean that an entire division should be dredged up for one fighter.

FUME5

The amount of time the under and main card is going to run, I think I might order the ppv instead of watching it at the pub, or I'll be paying for a lot of pints.

geardo

So Mcgregor was saying that Alvarez took the same contract that he had during the Dos Anjos fight. Is that what everyone else gathered, or am I missing something? If true, that's like $150,000 according to mmafighting, which is absurd.

So Mcgregor was saying that Alvarez took the same contract that he had during the Dos Anjos fight. Is that what everyone else gathered, or am I missing something? If true, that's like $150,000 according to mmafighting, which is absurd.
He gets ppv points as champion now though.

But it could be PPV points. That seems like it could get you good money.

More from Aldo in a phone interview Combate after having spoken with Dana. Credit to /u/trulyskeptical from /r/mma.

José Aldo: I saw what Dana said, but this happened back when I lost, they promised me one thing and this was kinda in my thoughts that I didn't want to fight anymore, not even MMA, for me, brother, it came to a point where I reached my limit, so I sat down with Dedé long time ago and he convinced me to stay, I went and fought Frankie Edgar, I won. I fought to win, I didn't fight for anything else, just to win, it was for Dedé. When the fight ended I offered it to him, the victory. Last night we were waiting, the guy said the fight was set, that we were going to fight, people from UFC talked with Dedé and said it was a done deal, that we got the fight. I don't think we got it because of him, but through our own merit, I think we earned it when they said that we had to fight Frankie Edgar, which I did and won. So this is happening for a while, it's not because I'm hot headed now, angry or anything, I'm not like that, I'm very calm and talked about it long ago when I started in the sport that I wanted to end my career with 30 years old, that I wanted to pursue other things. That's how it happened, I never fought for money, I always wanted to have a good journey and leave a legacy in the division as being the only featherweight champion and wanted to retire as one, but it didn't happen like that. Of course, now I am an interim champion, I am on the top but for me, let's be real, I had enough.

Combate: So you made up your mind, final decision?

José Aldo: Yea, this morning I was talking with Dedé, Jucão (one of the guys interviewing him from Combate) even met me after, dude even if he me offers anything, for me it's not about money, it's just that I had enough, it reached my limit, not because of circus or anything he may do, I don't know, but if he likes me and my family like he said I just ask to be released, I don't want to have a problem with anyone or anything, I want to leave like I came. UFC never game me anything, not WEC or anything, everything was through my own merit and effort, from me, Dedé, my team and my family who helped me to get there. They didn't give me anything at any moment, I earned it with my own merits and gave them a lot more than they gave me in return, so I just want to be released from the contract, I don't want to fight anymore. Ah, let's say he offers me millions, he can take them and keep for himself, I don't think that I am a whore to sell myself, I am a man, my father raised me this way and that's all I want.

Combate: I was going to ask you but you just answered, if it didn't cross you mind the idea of waiting things to settle down, wait after UFC 205, so you could maybe have a fight with McGregor next year for the belt. Doesn't it cross your mind Zé?

José Aldo: Actually the right thing was for it to happen long ago, I think that when I lost, because of what I did as a champion in the division, I saw everyone getting rematches but it didn't happen, and since that it motivated me to stop fighting, I was close to it. I even talked about it before, anyone that knows me in a daily basis in the gym I always talked since I started when I wanted to stop. It's not about doing the fight or not, back then this happened and I gave up on doing this fight in the future. Nowadays I could be, like he said, going to fight with Max Holloway or Pettis for the title, this could be something more acceptable in my mind but it didn't happen so everything I had in my mind I want to do now.

Combate: Hey Aldo, Jucão here, I respect a lot your decision, I know you as a person, you are an example for all of us here, but I want to ask you, if UFC comes with a proposal for you to fight for the featherweight title, the legitimate one, and put you to fight with Holloway or Pettis would you change your mind or is this your final decision?

José Aldo: Hey Jucão, we are pals, we are together, Jucão is Nova União.

Combate: Always, brother (laughs)

José Aldo: (laughs) This is what we had in mind, he said that we were going to fight with McGregor for the title but if he didn't fight we were going to defend the title (not the interim one) against one of them, I think that was the fair thing to happen, but now he will want to wait, and I think that's what happening, he will want to wait after the fight happens, and if McGregor loses he fights with me, and if he wins he stays in the lightweight division, leaves the featherweight division and I fight with Holloway. I don't think this is something good, not just for me, I don't see just my side, if it was about the money I'd go and fight the guy, he would make me good money, but no, he is holding the whole division, being a problem for me, like it or not, I had my history in the division, same for Holloway, who earned to be the next in line, or Pettis or Frankie, or whoever featherweight. I don't think this is just disrespecting Aldo, but the whole division, same for the lightweights. If he wins I guess he'll want to put him with someone who has nothing to do with it. Khabib signed two contracts. If Khabib signed two contracts, what is his (Dana) word worth?It's like he just said, if he likes me and is thinking like he said I just want him to release me, that's what I think should happen.

Combate: So from what we understand the big problem isn't even them making McGregor fight Alvarez, but him keeping the featherweight belt which is totally unfair, third fight outside of the division, he shouldn't be the featherweight champion anymore, I know you said that there's no turning back, but let's say that tomorrow Dana White says McGregor lost the featherweight belt, is going to fight for lightweight belt, then if he loses he comes back, try again but this time without being the featherweight belt, in this case wouldn't you change your mind?Sorry for insisting.

José Aldo: What I want, what I always wanted to do, and everyone who is with me in a daily basis in the gym knows...let me tell you a quick story. When I wanted to fight with Anthony Pettis way back then in the lightweight division, Pettis' manager came to us, everything worked out, we went to Dana and he said: "No, if you want to take this fight you need to leave the featherweight division, give up your belt, and then you can fight Pettis in the lightweight division, and after that if you lose or win, you can make a fight to get your featherweight belt back." I didn't think it was fair back then and I don't think it is, I said "Okay, I will stay in my division because I know I am the champion, I am trying to do something good for you, the promotion, for everyone, and you want me to give up something mine..." and now something totally different is happening.

I think it's not about fighting. It's like you said, I expected to defend the belt against Holloway or Pettis, this is what was right, if this happened he can fight with Eddie Alvarez, Tyron Woodley, whoever he wants, but I think this was the right thing to do. I want him to do his thing and we continue our lives, I think that my life and the whole featherweight division needs to keep going not being stalled while he does three fights in the lightweight division, and other one that he wanted to do, make a super fight with Georges St-Pierre, which didn't work out, because Georges wanted $10.000.000 and Dana didn't want to pay it and still put him with Nate for the second time, so for me Dana's word is worthless, one day he says one thing and changes the day after, so for me the fair thing is for me to release me so I can continue my life, I don't even want to fight MMA, I wanna make a career in another sport, which I always dreamed about.

This some real bullshit. Conor is the most facilitated fighter the UFC may have ever had. They go out of their way to make things happen for him and they don't care who they fuck over or mislead in the process. "It's a business" only goes so far when the promotion prides itself on "no bullshit" match ups where the "best fight the best."

Jeremy Stephens filmed a video in what appears to be a Hooters claiming that he confronted Conor backstage and that Conor wanted no parts of him. Dude must be so salty about getting clowned hard.

Eanan

Jeremy Stephens filmed a video in what appears to be a Hooters claiming that he confronted Conor backstage and that Conor wanted no parts of him. Dude must be so salty about getting clowned hard.
The ironic thing is, after what Conor said, all UFC fans now know who Stephens is.

And yeah, Conor is going to get physical with him and get suspended. Whose he trying to fool

Top Bottom