• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

pixelation

Who cares about Khabib? Not an exciting fighter.

Go wrestle Ben Askren.

Edit:
8xhWhJDoHxTOw.gif

LMAO!!!, that is some Kung Fu Panda type of shit.

Braag

Jeremy Stephens filmed a video in what appears to be a Hooters claiming that he confronted Conor backstage and that Conor wanted no parts of him. Dude must be so salty about getting clowned hard.

Hah, I saw that. Apparently Conor's locker room was locked and he couldn't get in. How stupid is Stephens to want to get into a fight backstage? As I said in the other thread, that press conference is going to haunt him for a while.

pixelation

Hah, I saw that. Apparently Conor's locker room was locked and he couldn't get in. How stupid is Stephens to want to get into a fight backstage? As I said in the other thread, that press conference is going to haunt him for a while.
Pretty much, and he looks foolishly salty doing that shit... he should just get over it. Also... fuck cry baby Aldo... let him walk...

This some real bullshit. Conor is the most facilitated fighter the UFC may have ever had. They go out of their way to make things happen for him and they don't care who they fuck over or mislead in the process. "It's a business" only goes so far when the promotion prides itself on "no bullshit" match ups where the "best fight the best."

You'd have a point if Conor was asking for easy fights or ducking people. Truth is he's always looking for the biggest fight, the biggest test possible. That's why I'm ok with this. I'm much less ok with Bisping Hendo for example, even though I understand why they're doing it.

You'd have a point if Conor was asking for easy fights or ducking people. Truth is he's always looking for the biggest fight, the biggest test possible. That's why I'm ok with this. I'm much less ok with Bisping Hendo for example, even though I understand why they're doing it.

Conor is always looking for the biggest payday, not necessarily the biggest test.

Conor is always looking for the biggest payday, not necessarily the biggest test.

Agreed, which is why I said biggest fight. The biggest paydays often mean the biggest tests. It has so far.

He'll fight anyone if the payday is big enough and that's pretty refreshing. Other fighters are taking notice too, which is good for the sport IMO. Mighty Mouse now looking to go up and fight Cruz is great.

Agreed, which is why I said biggest fight. The biggest paydays often mean the biggest tests. It has so far.

He'll fight anyone if the payday is big enough and that's pretty refreshing. Other fighters are taking notice too, which is good for the sport IMO. Mighty Mouse now looking to go up and fight Cruz is great.

The first Diaz fight was not for a big payday not did he or most fans view it as the biggest test. Those of us who pay enough attention knew that Diaz skill set was perfect for causing Conor problems and that Diaz had a good chance to win but no one regarded the fight as Conors biggest test yet.

I also wouldn't say that he would fight anyone given a big enough payday per say. He knows he's going to draw regardless so he leverages that to get the fights he wants. If he didn't care who he was going to fight as long as he gets paid, he would have defended that FW belt by now. Especially if you consider that if he had fought and soundly defeated Aldo to unify before the rematch with Diaz, it would have built even more expectation and he would have been coming in with momentum.

He fights who he wants to fight while leveraging his draw to get the most money possible for each fight. He's not taking on all comers as long as he's paid well. There is a difference.

The first Diaz fight was not for a big payday not did he or most fans view it as the biggest test. Those of us who pay enough attention knew that Diaz skill set was perfect for causing Conor problems and that Diaz had a good chance to win but no one regarded the fight as Conors biggest test yet.

I also wouldn't say that he would fight anyone given a big enough payday per say. He knows he's going to draw regardless so he leverages that to get the fights he wants. If he didn't care who he was going to fight as long as he gets paid, he would have defended that FW belt by now. Especially if you consider that if he had fought and soundly defeated Aldo to unify before the rematch with Diaz, it would have built even more expectation and he would have been coming in with momentum.

He fights who he wants to fight while leveraging his draw to get the most money possible for each fight. He's not taking on all comers as long as he's paid well. There is a difference.

I disagree. The plan always was to get the 2 belts regardless of who was holding them because he thinks that would make history and thus raise his stock. So clearly he's willing to fight anyone holding those belts, be it Aldo, dos Anjos, Álvarez or whoever. The Diaz fight was the biggest payday he could get on short notice. Remember both Aldo and Edgar were offered the fight before Nate. The rematch was clearly him believing he could actually win against someone that handily beat him on the first fight. He even took the fight on the same terms even though it was clearly a disadvantage to him. Sure Nate wasn't a 200 pound beast like he claims, but he wasn't a lightweight not cutting like on the first fight either. On the second fight he was fighting a legit welterweight and you can bet he had doubts about it. He has said that much in interviews, wondering if he was making a mistake. It was a huge gamble, he was in a tough spot and he probably could have gotten away with doing it at 155, but he didn't wanna leave any doubts. You gotta respect that. Imagine what Diaz would have said if they had fought at 155. I still whooped you at 170. He could have held that over his head forever.

Defending the FW belt after the Aldo fight has never been the biggest money fight. If Edgar had KOd Aldo in spectacular fashion then yeah, that would be the fight, but he didn't. The second belt is the bigger money fight right now.

I think he truly believes he can beat anyone. Whether that's true or not we'll find out and it's what makes him so exciting to watch.

The degree of difficulty is irrelevant if Conor hasn't earned the right to fight those fights outside of his division. As the FW champ, he is supposedly the best FW in the whole promotion, but there's another guy with the interim belt making his claim and a few more making their case that they're the best. Without a single defence, it's preposterous Conor has been allowed to fight out of his division three times. No other champ has been given this type of special treatment, and with good reason: it completely undermines the whole point of championships.

The degree of difficulty is irrelevant if Conor hasn't earned the right to fight those fights outside of his division. As the FW champ, he is supposedly the best FW in the whole promotion, but there's another guy with the interim belt making his claim and a few more making their case that they're the best. Without a single defence, it's preposterous Conor has been allowed to fight out of his division three times. No other champ has been given this type of special treatment, and with good reason: it completely undermines the whole point of championships.

Well that's where we disagree. You care about the "purity of the sport" while I don't give a shit. MMA has always been carny, I just want to see the biggest fights.

I'm much more excited about the biggest star in the company going up a weight class and challenging the champion than him defending his belt against the guy he smoked in 13 seconds. He can do that after, unless a bigger fight presents itself.

As long as we don't have people ducking each other like in boxing I'm good. If you think McGregor is choosing easy fights and ducking opponents you haven't been paying attention.

Well that's where we disagree. You care about the "purity of the sport" while I don't give a shit. MMA has always been carny, I just want to see the biggest fights.

I'm much more excited about the biggest star in the company going up a weight class and challenging the champion than him defending his belt against the guy he smoked in 13 seconds. He can do that after, unless a bigger fight presents itself.

As long as we don't have people ducking each other like in boxing I'm good. If you think McGregor is choosing easy fights and ducking opponents you haven't been paying attention.

Bruv, I don't think you've been paying to jackshit to do with this sport.

MMA stands for mixed martial arts in case you weren't aware. The fighters part of this promotion aren't your average brawlers, they're world class competitors that take their disciplines very seriously and have dedicated their lives to perfecting their art and fighting the best.

I suspect you only recently began watching MMA when McGregor blew up, but if you're talking about fighters ducking fighters then look no further than McGregor ducking his entire fucking division, whether that's because he doesn't want to risk a rematch with one of the greatest P4P fighters in the promotion's history or because he can't make the cut anymore - either way, McGregor is ducking Aldo and all other worthy comers in that division, and he's allowed to pick his opponents to boot.

I love superfights, and I think they absolutely have a place in the sport, but I also think they need to be earned, and McGregor hasn't done jackshit as a champion to warrant that much trust and privilege from the UFC. It's bullshit, plain and simple, and people like you defending the UFC like this are part of the problem as far as I'm concerned. This isn't the best fighting the best, it's the biggest draws fighting whoever they damn well please.

Heel

MMA stands for mixed martial arts in case you weren't aware. The fighters part of this promotion aren't your average brawlers, they're world class competitors that take their disciplines very seriously and have dedicated their lives to perfecting their art and fighting the best.

I suspect you only recently began watching MMA when McGregor blew up, but if you're talking about fighters ducking fighters then look no further than McGregor ducking his entire fucking division, whether that's because he doesn't want to risk a rematch with one of the greatest P4P fighters in the promotion's history or because he can't make the cut anymore - either way, McGregor is ducking Aldo and all other worthy comers in that division, and he's allowed to pick his opponents to boot.

I love superfights, and I think they absolutely have a place in the sport, but I also think they need to be earned, and McGregor hasn't done jackshit as a champion to warrant that much trust and privilege from the UFC. It's bullshit, plain and simple, and people like you defending the UFC like this are part of the problem as far as I'm concerned. This isn't the best fighting the best, it's the biggest draws fighting whoever they damn well please.

nECVrcc.gif

FUME5

Tell me the matchups you think should take place?

lmao, thanks for this.

Tell me the matchups you think should take place?

Champs should be fighting whoever is next in line to challenge their belt, especially if they don't have a single defence to their name yet.

McGregor should be fighting Aldo and defend his FW belt at least once before challenging for the 155 belt.

Bisping should fight any of the Top 4 guys right now, they'd all be reasonable matchups.

Eddie should be fighting Ferguson next.

I know the UFC are probably going with Cruz/Garbrandt, but Cruz should be fighting TJ who just ran through the #2 ranked guy. Garbrant should be fighting a Top 5 guy next, be it Assuncao, Caraway, Rivera or Lineker - any one of them will do for now.

Every other champ seems to be fighting whoever they should; Woodley is fighting Wonderboy, JJ is fighting KK, DC is fighting either Rumble or Jones, Nunes is fighting either Rousey or Penna, Miocic just defended against Overeem and will probably fight a top 3 guy next, and of course Mighty Mouse is fighting whoever the UFC can drum up that he hasn't already beaten.

Heel

Quietly rooting for Conor to hold both titles and decide to fight Nate Diaz, just to smack these sport purists upside the head one more time. Talk about heat.

Quietly rooting for Conor to hold both titles and decide to fight Nate Diaz, just to smack these sport purists upside the head one more time. Talk about heat.

That's what UFC is hoping for. McGregor vs Diaz 3 for the lightweight belt could be the biggest card in UFC history.

FUME5

lmao, thanks for this.

Champs should be fighting whoever is next in line to challenge their belt, especially if they don't have a single defence to their name yet.

McGregor should be fighting Aldo and defend his FW belt at least once before challenging for the 155 belt.

Bisping should fight any of the Top 4 guys right now, they'd all be reasonable matchups.

Eddie should be fighting Ferguson next.

I know the UFC are probably going with Cruz/Garbrandt, but Cruz should be fighting TJ who just ran through the #2 ranked guy. Garbrant should be fighting a Top 5 guy next, be it Assuncao, Caraway, Rivera or Lineker - any one of them will do for now.

Everyone other champ seems to be fighting whoever they should; Woodley is fighting Wonderboy, JJ is fighting KK, DC is fighting either Rumble or Jones, Nunes is fighting either Rousey or Penna, Miocic just defended against Overeem and will probably fight a top 3 guy next, and of course Mighty Mouse is fighting whoever the UFC can drum up that he hasn't already beaten.

Fair enough.

Dana keeps on mentioning that Conor had something "left field" to announce after MSG. I wonder what it could be. It could be retirement, maybe after fighting Diaz the first and second time he was ready to retire but UFC gave him a boatload of money plus a chance at 2 belts to get him to fight one more time.

brentech

Dana keeps on mentioning that Conor had something "left field" to announce after MSG. I wonder what it could be. It could be retirement, maybe after fighting Diaz the first and second time he was ready to retire but UFC gave him a boatload of money plus a chance at 2 belts to get him to fight one more time.
Announcing he's actually Andy Kaufman and his next fight is against Ronda Rousey in a PRIDE ring.

pixelation

I'm guessing some stupid ass WWE shit.

-MD-

Probably the Mayweather fight.

how would retirement be left field? He already pulled that shiet once.

even Mayweather wouldnt be left field since that is probably what he would like to do if he beats Eddie, said that even in the presser.

He's going to announce that he's not really Irish and the accent is fake.

Actually his accent is kinda fake. Anyone talking like he does would be laughed at here. He has a regular Northside accent but he tries to change alot of pronunciation here and there so Americans will understand what he's saying.

Braag

All this speculation about what he's going to annnounce lol
I've read even some people (not in GAF) say he might announce that he has some serious illness. Retirement seems to be the most common guess.
I don't think it's gonna be anything THAT big honestly.
There's a recent interview with Dana where he said Conor is going to drop one of the belts if he wins against Alvarez so it's probably not a retirement announcement if he's dropping just 1 of the belts.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'd be inclined to say Honda would never come back, but all of her Hollywood roles seem to be disappearing (Road House rumored to be scrapped) and she probably needs the money.

Dana is just bullshitting here, Ronda would never take that fight.

I thought the notion that fighters could fear one another was ridiculous and hilarious when I suggested Aldo wanted no part of Conor again.

Of course Ronda wants nothing to do with Cyborg. She also wants nothing to do with Holly Holm and I'm not even sure she wants Nunez. When Holly lost Dana called Ronda and told her Miesha was the champ and she said something like, I better get back to training. He definitely wanted that one to get the belt back. After the way she was exposed I can't say I disagree with her.

I thought the notion that fighters could fear one another was ridiculous and hilarious when I suggested Aldo wanted no part of Conor again.

Of course Ronda wants nothing to do with Cyborg. She also wants nothing to do with Holly Holm and I'm not even sure she wants Nunez. When Holly lost Dana called Ronda and told her Miesha was the champ and she said something like, I better get back to training. He definitely wanted that one to get the belt back. After the way she was exposed I can't say I disagree with her.

Ronda isn't scared of Cyborg. She wouldn't (or shouldn't really) take that fight because Cyborg isn't in her weight class and her physique is pretty clearly from PEDs.

The only way I see Ronda taking that fight is if her trainer gets her ego pumped to silly levels again. She has nothing to gain taking on Cyborg.

Ronda isn't scared of Cyborg. She wouldn't (or shouldn't really) take that fight because Cyborg isn't in her weight class and her physique is pretty clearly from PEDs.

The only way I see Ronda taking that fight is if her trainer gets her ego pumped to silly levels again. She has nothing to gain taking on Cyborg.

I don't entirely disagree, but Ronda is a big 135er, she has even fought at 150, so a fight at 140 doesn't seem completely out of the question, especially since she's no longer the 135 champ.

However I think she has a lot to gain if she were to beat Cyborg. It would clear any doubt that she's the best female fighter in history and it would raise her stock tremendously.

But she's scared of that fight and rightfully so. She couldn't hang against Holly Holm at 135, Cyborg would bring much more power at 140. Especially coming off a loss it would be a terrible idea to take that fight.

She needs to crush a can. The problem is that now they all have the blueprint on how to beat her and I very much doubt that she could fix her holes under Edmund.

I wouldn't be surprised if she never fought again, but apparently her Hollywood career didn't light the world on fire, so maybe she has to come back.

Banglish

I'm a Ronda nuthugger and sadly.. I don't want to see her fight again. Especially that she is sooo rooted with Edmund. Totally killed any sort of progression in her game.
I'd much rather see Nunes vs. Cyborg. I really wanna see Cyborg fight someone worthwhile. Nunes or Holm. Both interesting matchups. Nunes' hands are the heaviest out of the rest of the division and she has great technique. Holm's movement and kicks may pose a threat, but I don't know about her confidence after losing to Valentina.

zewone

If Ronda comes back, I expect her to get embarrassed badly.

Mentally weak and her coach/gym is a joke.

Come back for Cyborg for one last payday.

I don't entirely disagree, but Ronda is a big 135er, she has even fought at 150, so a fight at 140 doesn't seem completely out of the question, especially since she's no longer the 135 champ.

However I think she has a lot to gain if she were to beat Cyborg. It would clear any doubt that she's the best female fighter in history and it would raise her stock tremendously.

But she's scared of that fight and rightfully so. She couldn't hang against Holly Holm at 135, Cyborg would bring much more power at 140. Especially coming off a loss it would be a terrible idea to take that fight.

She needs to crush a can. The problem is that now they all have the blueprint on how to beat her and I very much doubt that she could fix her holes under Edmund.

I wouldn't be surprised if she never fought again, but apparently her Hollywood career didn't light the world on fire, so maybe she has to come back.

Eh.. The entire division has known her standup was subpar. Even Tate lit her up in a few of their previous matches. But not many in the division are great strikers in their own right and Ronda's judo is high level and relatively rare in Women's divisions.

Basically there's a big difference between knowing what needs to be done and actually accomplishing it. I don't even think a rematch with Holm would end in the same results.

Taking a fight against Cyborg really doesn't change anything for her. Winning that fight hurts Cyborg more than it helps Ronda. This isn't a Pac v. Mayweather situation. The only people who want that fight are Cyborg fans. Not Ronda fans and not the general UFC fan base.

Top Bottom