• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Banglish

As a Ronda fan, the only fights I want to see her take is Cyborg and to a lesser extent Holm.

I could see her beating Holm if she changed to a camp that better integrates her boxing for MMA and polishes her basic technique as well. She should train with the Diaz bros and their coach Richard Perez.

I could see her beating Holm if she changed to a camp that better integrates her boxing for MMA and polishes her basic technique as well. She should train with the Diaz bros and their coach Richard Perez.

I could see Rousey winning even without switching camps. I'm more concerned that she just isn't training as much as Holm is. Realistically, how many times can Holm get into a clinch with Rousey before it's game over? I would favor Holm pretty dramatically in a rematch, but it's not some foregone conclusion that she'll always be able to knock Rousey out before getting caught in an armbar.

Dana keeps on mentioning that Conor had something "left field" to announce after MSG. I wonder what it could be. It could be retirement, maybe after fighting Diaz the first and second time he was ready to retire but UFC gave him a boatload of money plus a chance at 2 belts to get him to fight one more time.

1. Dee is pregnant and he wants time off to be there.
2. He's retiring after McGregor/Diaz 3.

Those are the only ones I can think off.

Apparently Ronda wants to fight Cyborg in her comeback fight. I dont think thats a very good idea...at all...

Not at all but it's the biggest statement she can make. Way bigger than beating *insert random champ*

Obviously Holm would have been the biggest statement if she didn't prove that she just isn't really that good

Levito

Banned
That "Special Conor Announcement™" is more than likely nothing all that special.

Cmon y'all, hasn't GAF taught you that announcements of announcements generally lead to underwhelming results?

brentech

Marc Raimondi ‏@marc_raimondi 4m4 minutes ago

Alexander Gustafsson out, Ryan Bader in vs. Rogerio Nogueira at UFC Fight Night 100

Banglish

I could see Rousey winning even without switching camps. I'm more concerned that she just isn't training as much as Holm is. Realistically, how many times can Holm get into a clinch with Rousey before it's game over? I would favor Holm pretty dramatically in a rematch, but it's not some foregone conclusion that she'll always be able to knock Rousey out before getting caught in an armbar.

I mean that was the question that everyone had and Holly fared pretty damn well of course. Rousey's years and years of oly judo skills and Holly's what - 6 to 9 weeks of defensive clinch prep was enough.
I think Rousey would be a lot more careful about rushing in, and with that Holm's movement and kicks would be even more effective. Rousey had nothing for her on the feet and her clinch work was stifled. So without having a different approach or improving on her boxing to open up her clinch work.. Holm takes that easy. KO or decision.

oneils

Anyone know how to watch ultimate fighter 24 tonight, in Ontario? Will it be on fight pass or tv only? Can't seem to figure it out.

Edit: er my bad looks like I'm reaaaaly late to the party whelp.

I mean that was the question that everyone had and Holly fared pretty damn well of course. Rousey's years and years of oly judo skills and Holly's what - 6 to 9 weeks of defensive clinch prep was enough.
I think Rousey would be a lot more careful about rushing in, and with that Holm's movement and kicks would be even more effective. Rousey had nothing for her on the feet and her clinch work was stifled. So without having a different approach or improving on her boxing to open up her clinch work.. Holm takes that easy. KO or decision.

Holm defended when she had to but that wasn't a Rousey that was focused on initiating her ground game. Her mental focus has to be questioned given how the fight was going by the time she even started attempting a takedown.

An extreme example of the mental state being off affecting effectiveness is Cerrone.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Man, Marquardt fucking buried on the pre-pre-lims on a free card.

Ctt-b4PW8A8fR12.jpg

I've heard of 5 of those people.

Chesskid1

Banned
i've noticed in the more recent fight nights, the main events are starting to consist of relatively unknown fighters, compared to pretty much always having a veteran most MMA fans know in the fight nights from 1-2 years ago~

Garbage decision. Lineker can't make weight and he also can't hit anything. Dodson was hitting him whenever he chose to. Lineker couldn't do anything.

Was at the event tonight. Everybody I wanted to win ended up losing. I sat behind some guy who yelled "Combos win fights" for the entirety of one of the prelim bouts, who then vanished for the rest of the night, leaving his wife/girlfriend and infant behind.

Guru-Guru

Banned

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Was at the event tonight. Everybody I wanted to win ended up losing. I sat behind some guy who yelled "Combos win fights" for the entirety of one of the prelim bouts, who then vanished for the rest of the night, leaving his wife/girlfriend and infant behind.

Were you near that banshee screaming all night or the guy who got drunk enough to get in a screaming contest with her during the main event? That made for some real solid TV.

I was at an amateur MMA event over the weekend.

If recommend to anyone here to go to one.

It was fun.
What's great about local events is if you can get close to the cage it's usually so quiet you can hear the two fighters hitting each other and it really helps put things in perspective. You forget watching on tv those are two real humans punching and kicking and hurting each other.

Fox318

What's great about local events is if you can get close to the cage it's usually so quiet you can hear the two fighters hitting each other and it really helps put things in perspective. You forget watching on tv those are two real humans punching and kicking and hurting each other.
It was odd because elbow, kicks to the head, and strikes to the head on the ground were banned.

Completely changed what it meant to be in guard.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Penn is injured, out of next week's Fight Night. I thought something was up because we hadn't heard the usual motivated BJ Penn stories, even though his fight is a week away.

Levito

Banned
Why can't someone just sit BJ down and tell him he's too old for this? The only reason the UFC is letting him fight is because Bellator will swoop in and grab him otherwise.

Apparently Conor McGregor wants to retire after UFC 205. He said multiple times in interviews that he wats to get rich and get out sooner rather than later.

Is the time right to call it quits after 205?

Cracklox

Hey Gaf. Anyone here see Todd Sampsons Body Hack?

Its an Australian documentary series where the host throws himself head first into some of worlds most dangerous professions. The first episode which just aired, he trains for, and competes in an actual pro MMA fight. He's 41, and largely known for his success in advertising and is a bit of a nerd. Also never been in a fight in his life. He's got a fight record on Sherdog now though.

They go into the science behind being knocked/chocked out and other fight sciencey stuff. Its a really interesting look at starting out in MMA, and they treated the sport respectfully as well. For Australian media at least, it's about the 1st time I've seen that. It's still very much labeled barbaric etc here, and the fact it is more commonly referred to as cage fighting doesn't help either.

Anyway, he gets two weeks training from Greg Jackson and Mike Winkeljohn at Jacksons gym, and then gets thrown in. Not to spoil anything, but I think he gave a better showing then one Chick Magnet Punk a few weeks back. Also, it features a few cameos from some well known fighters, including a hilarious one from Cowboy Cerrone. Seriously, price of admission shit

Link below is from the network so properly legit.

http://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/todd-sampsons-body-hack

broz0rs

Apparently, that tattoo faced scumbag released nude pics of his gf because she called the cops on him. Reminder that he had a chokehold on her, but she was able to break free and got away from him. Idiot really wants to go to prison so he can be with people of similar interests.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Any word on what happened yet? Drug overdose?

I saw somebody from the family apparently denying it was heroin. Shane Carwin the day the news broke made an unprompted reply on Reddit talking about heroin and opiate addiction though and there aren't any other explanations that make a lot of sense.

Apparently, that tattoo faced scumbag released nude pics of his gf because she called the cops on him. Reminder that he had a chokehold on her, but she was able to break free and got away from him. Idiot really wants to go to prison so he can be with people of similar interests.
Ashley Evans posted tons of pics with him. Hope things work out for her.

Top Bottom