• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Heel

I don't understand how you justify paying GSP millions of dollars without selling pay-per-views. He might be better off promoting his own card in Canada.

I don't understand how you justify paying GSP millions of dollars without selling pay-per-views. He might be better off promoting his own card in Canada.
Bellator won't need to, Under Armour will pay GSP if they can get their logo on GSP's ass in front of millions of Spike TV viewers.

UFC can let him go to Bellator and he still won't make them a credible threat in the MMA business. GSP is a big star but he's probably only got a couple of years left, and the UFC has conditioned fans to move on from one star to the next every couple of years. Conor is the new hotness, and in a year it'll be someone else.

Heel

UFC can let him go to Bellator and he still won't make them a credible threat in the MMA business. GSP is a big star but he's probably only got a couple of years left, and the UFC has conditioned fans to move on from one star to the next every couple of years. Conor is the new hotness, and in a year it'll be someone else.

GSP is Hogan, Jon Jones will be Scott Hall.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Legally speaking, GSP is probably correct. If his contract specifically mentions sponsors in it, and given that sponsors were required to pay exorbitant fees, it likely does, and GSPs Under Armor contract predates his UFC contract or at least the UFC policy change, then the UFC changing their terms would make their contract easily challengable.

In all likelihood most pre-Reebok performers could probably have challenged the UFC, GSP is just the first who a) has the money to and b) doesn't need the UFC anymore.

It says alot about the company when they treat their biggest PPV star like this. Least they could do is terminate his contract if he wishes.

Ridiculous

Ceallach

GSP is probably my favorite fighter of all time and in the argument for GOAT. This is sad to see the disrespect from the UFC.

The new owners are an entertainment company. I wouldn't be surprised if "boring" wrestlers and point fighters start getting weeded out and mistreated.

They also need to make sure to never match up two Brazilian strikers against each other cause odds are they're both counter strikers and you'll get 15 minutes of the two of them waiting for the other to make a move.

Ceallach

They either need to start adhering to rankings and matchmaker based on performance or just drop the other shoe, dump USADA and let TRT jesus start kicking people's heads off again.

Heel

Ari running lean and mean.

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani

Update on our UFC biz discussion on yesterday's #themmahour: I'm told around half of the UFC's Asia office has been let go. Unfortunately, the overwhelming sentiment is more cuts are to come very soon. It's an uneasy feeling for the staff. My best wishes to them. Multiple sources have described the morale at UFC HQ in Vegas as "very bad." One equated it to "a morgue." Lots of uncertainty these days.

Ariel also mentioned the possibility of them running less cards on The MMA Hour. Kind of flies in the face of their upcoming TV deal, but I guess we'll see.

Fox318

Ariel also mentioned the possibility of them running less cards on The MMA Hour. Kind of flies in the face of their upcoming TV deal, but I guess we'll see.
It's kinda crazy that the UFC being sold and valued so much wound up making it tougher for the company.

And frankly they probably won't get a TV deal they thought because the NFL is down and outsiders are rediscovering that it's a star driven enterprise.

They have to make so much money now just to pay off those loans.

pixelation

Ughh... i knew nothing good was gonna come from the UFC sell.

White saying GSP isnt a fighter yet said this about Nick who hasn't won a fight in 5 yrs.

“Nick wants to fight. Nick’s ready to go again. I’ve got to figure that out,” White told Andy Nesbitt of FOX Sports

The one change that I'm concerned about is the resignation of Joe Silva. But I also can't say I wouldn't enjoy watching some squash matches.

Fox318

White calling saying GSP isnt a fighter yet this about Nick who hasn't won a fight in 5 yrs.

“Nick wants to fight. Nick’s ready to go again. I’ve got to figure that out,” White told Andy Nesbitt of FOX Sports

meanwhile Nick still owes the NSAC 75 k from his fine.

Well, i guess thats why the didnt want GSP back then. Looks like theyre gonna contract and focus on the states only..

It's also telling that they've been announcing lots of fights for 207 when 206 in Toronto tickets go on sale this week and the card is still barren outside the main event

Banglish

How do you know GSP is off the juice?

lol, yea no. Everyone shat on GSP for that fight, it's clear now if Hendricks wasn't juicing he would have lost that easily. He'd be coming back to USADA era and an on fire WW division, I think there are a lot of interesting fights to be made.

It's also telling that they've been announcing lots of fights for 207 when 206 in Toronto tickets go on sale this week and the card is still barren outside the main event

Welp. One can dream.

Heel

Find me the person who wouldn't be happy with them chopping a good third of their roster and fight cards. It's been said in this thread for years. Thank Helio above for this new ownership.

Next

lol, yea no. Everyone shat on GSP for that fight, it's clear now if Hendricks wasn't juicing he would have lost that easily. He'd be coming back to USADA era and an on fire WW division, I think there are a lot of interesting fights to be made.

It isn't very clear at all. GSP spent his whole career juiced to the gills, so he'd probably get knocked out if he fought Hendricks today under usada.

Find me the person who wouldn't be happy with them chopping a good third of their roster and fight cards. It's been said in this thread for years. Thank Helio above for this new ownership.

Tbf it's also been said in this thread that the ufc is in trouble and mma is a dying sport, but it's been getting more and more popular with time.

Top Bottom