• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Find me the person who wouldn't be happy with them chopping a good third of their roster and fight cards. It's been said in this thread for years. Thank Helio above for this new ownership.

Makes you wonder what they'll put on Fight Pass now though. I love watching fights from Iowa that take place on trash bags as much as the next guy but I'll be damned if I pay $9.99 a month to UFC for the privilege to watch a stream of it.

-MD-

Cruz vs Aldo super fight in the works for UFC 207.

giphy.gif

Aldo via leg kicks.

Heel

Makes you wonder what they'll put on Fight Pass now though. I love watching fights from Iowa that take place on trash bags as much as the next guy but I'll be damned if I pay $9.99 a month to UFC for the privilege to watch a stream of it.

Well, they fired the lead Fight Pass content guy.

It isn't very clear at all. GSP spent his whole career juiced to the gills, so he'd probably get knocked out if he fought Hendricks today under usada.

Tbf it's also been said in this thread that the ufc is in trouble and mma is a dying sport, but it's been getting more and more popular with time.

Wasn't it only last year most of us were complaining about there being so many cards with so little worth watching? I remember there being a ton of negativity. And as much as I hate Conor I think it was around his fight with Aldo things seemed to turn around

Heel

Wasn't it only last year most of us were complaining about there being so many cards with so little worth watching? I remember there being a ton of negativity. And as much as I hate Conor I think it was around his fight with Aldo things seemed to turn around

Yeah, not sure how the popularity of a handful of fighters in a cyclical, star-driven sport has anything to do with whether or not a good chunk of the roster and events are superfluous.

I don't look to prizefighters to be any kind of moral compass, but for fucks sake.

EDIT

Yeah, Van Zant totally deserves a main event spot.

This card is looking absolutely fantastic to be honest. You also have Gall vs Northcutt and let's face it, we all wanna know how that turns out. Then you have Faber, who even though is coming from back to back loses is a relatively big name. And then you have what's probably gonna be the best fight of the night when the Platinum Train himself shows up against Alan Jouban.

Like it's looking way better than 206. At least a lot more fights I'm actually interested in watching.

Legally speaking, GSP is probably correct. If his contract specifically mentions sponsors in it, and given that sponsors were required to pay exorbitant fees, it likely does, and GSPs Under Armor contract predates his UFC contract or at least the UFC policy change, then the UFC changing their terms would make their contract easily challengable.

In all likelihood most pre-Reebok performers could probably have challenged the UFC, GSP is just the first who a) has the money to and b) doesn't need the UFC anymore.

Wrong. Lawyer said the contract was void due to inactivity. There's a cause that says the UFC has to offer GSP a fight in 10 days if he requests it. The camera up with Lawyer's name at the last minute, but no venue, date or any other details. Plus Lawler just refused to fight on 205, presumably due to injuries.

The UFC of course disagrees.

FUME5

This card is looking absolutely fantastic to be honest. You also have Gall vs Northcutt and let's face it, we all wanna know how that turns out. Then you have Faber, who even though is coming from back to back loses is a relatively big name. And then you have what's probably gonna be the best fight of the night when the Platinum Train himself shows up against Alan Jouban.

Like it's looking way better than 206. At least a lot more fights I'm actually interested in watching.

Could give less of a shit about Faber these days, he's done as all but a gatekeeper, and I'm not sure how much longer he'll hold that position either.

The UFC page has Northcutt vs Pfister listed for that card btw, I'm not seeing the Jouban and Faber fights on there either.

Could give less of a shit about Faber these days, he's done as all but a gatekeeper, and I'm not sure how much longer he'll hold that position either.

The UFC page has Northcutt vs Pfister listed for that card btw, I'm not seeing the Jouban and Faber fights on there either.
That's a card from Dec 2015

broz0rs

The UFC is what it is today in part due to it controlling its labor costs.

I've never liked how their contracts require a certain number of fights over an unspecified period of time. They can determine when the fighter can fight, and if he or she doesn't like it, they won't be able to make money. The other aspect is that the UFC can cut whoever they want any time, but the fighter can only request a release. If it's a no name fighter, chances are his release is granted. If it's a big draw fighter, the UFC is not letting go until God knows when that contract legally expires.

The UFC is what it is today in part due to it controlling its labor costs.

I've never liked how their contracts require a certain number of fights over an unspecified period of time. They can determine when the fighter can fight, and if he or she doesn't like it, they won't be able to make money. The other aspect is that the UFC can cut whoever they want any time, but the fighter can only request a release. If it's a no name fighter, chances are his release is granted. If it's a big draw fighter, the UFC is not letting go until God knows when that contract legally expires.

The contracts never expire by time though. Only after a certain number of fights do they expire. So if you retire they own your ass forever. This is why I don't get why fighters sign 8 fight deals. It's much better to sign for 3 fights and renegotiate that. Of course the UFC has most of the negotiating power, so they may not have much of a choice.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
i don't think i've watched TUF since Rampage/Rashad. I think I watched a few of the Brock episodes too. That must have been 5 years ago.

You guys really should watch this season of TUF. Every fight has been a KO or sub. Some of the fights are better than alot of main events I've seen, and the reality TV shit is toned down and more about the individual fighters. It's been an amazing season tbh

You guys really should watch this season of TUF. Every fight has been a KO or sub. Some of the fights are better than alot of main events I've seen, and the reality TV shit is toned down and more about the individual fighters. It's been an amazing season tbh

I haven't watched since a few episodes into the gym vs gym season, was so boring and dull

Maybe I'll watch the last few fights of this season if you say the fighters are good

Cain vs Werdum rematch set for UFC 207

UFC 206 tix went on sale to the public with this exciting card.........

Cormer vs Johnson
Letourneau vs Botelho?
Makovsky? vs Moraga
Makdessi vs Vanatta
Aubin-Mercier vs Dober?
Saggo? vs Khabilov
Krylov vs Cirkunov?
Swanson vs Choi
Laprise vs Jingliang?

Weak!

Update - Cain vs Werdum is official, Cruz vs Gabrandt is in the works........

Banglish

Yeah it's easily the best season for fights I've ever seen. Definitely worth watching.

I don't talk about TUF here cause it's almost taboo-like but the fights have been high-paced, technical, and all finishes. Probably best season for fights out the the 20+ seasons.

garbardt will look so bad vs cruz, it will look like forrest vs silva

I've been looking forward to this. Cruz breaking the whole alpha male squad by himself. He'll for sure look worse than TJ.

Cain vs Werdum rematch set for UFC 207

UFC 206 tix went on sale to the public with this exciting card.........

Cormer vs Johnson
Letourneau vs Botelho?
Makovsky? vs Moraga
Makdessi vs Vanatta
Aubin-Mercier vs Dober?
Saggo? vs Khabilov
Krylov vs Cirkunov?
Swanson vs Choi
Laprise vs Jingliang?

Weak!

Update - Cain vs Werdum is official, Cruz vs Gabrandt is in the works........

I was planning on going to the next home card here, and now... uggh.
No Gsp, no Rory.. damn man feels bad.

UFC dissolved it's piracy department. Kinda interesting considering how aggressive they were, especially with the tame stuff like gifs and what not.

RustyO

UFC dissolved it's piracy department. Kinda interesting considering how aggressive they were, especially with the tame stuff like gifs and what not.

So, um, whats that now... Canada, UK, Asia, Fight Pass and Piracy. Plus rumours about TUF. Thats a lot of staff/organisational changes, no?

Chesskid1

Banned
the new owners are being really quiet too, no media talk or anything.

on mma beat, ariel said that the new owners didn't even say anything to the employees when they first bought it, not even hi we're your new owners, etc.

everything they are doing seems like a short-term gain to me

Top Bottom