• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
But the internet told me same-day weigh-ins is a good idea.
Because the Internet is full of people who have no experience in an actual combat sport and don't understand that this isn't going to lead to people fighting at their natural weight it is going to lead to weight cutting disasters

Because the Internet is full of people who have no experience in an actual combat sport and don't understand that this isn't going to lead to people fighting at their natural weight it is going to lead to weight cutting disasters

Yeah same day weigh ins is and always has been an awful idea

Diego with the wall running guillotine escape.

Didn't take long for somebody to upload it:

T0i3aHd.gif

iddqd

It's tough to submit a worn out leather belt like Sanchez.
Leg locks especially really only work in MMA if your Paul Harris and you have enough strength/ lack of empathy to rip shit apart in 2 seconds.

Maoyama

Banned
It's tough to submit a worn out leather belt like Sanchez.
Leg locks especially really only work in MMA if your Paul Harris and you have enough strength/ lack of empathy to rip shit apart in 2 seconds.

Come on, I get where you're coming from but in this same event we just saw Joe Soto inverted heel hook someone.

https://twitter.com/UFCONFOX/status/795069850955546624

I believe its more that heel-hooks and toe holds have mechanics that seem easy to do and people don't appreciate the intricacy of actually hold your opponents hips in place while you finish the submission. Even top grapplers that understand this, probably would prefer a scramble where they might end up on top than committing full hearted to a leg lock so they kinda let it slip.

Great first round.

155 is a murderers' row and RDA clearly wants to prove he is still the best.

Ferguson is a slow starter though and has zero quit in him. He's not out of this fight until it's either lights out or the decision is made.

iddqd

Come on, I get where you're coming from but in this same event we just saw Joe Soto inverted heel hook someone.

https://twitter.com/UFCONFOX/status/795069850955546624

I believe its more that heel-hooks and toe holds have mechanics that seem easy to do and people don't appreciate the intricacy of actually hold your opponents hips in place while you finish the submission. Even top grapplers that understand this, probably would prefer a scramble where they might end up on top than committing full hearted to a leg lock so they kinda let it slip.

Hehe, this is what I get for not watching all the fights.

I appreciate the footsie game but I think its harder to follow through when a guy can punch you in the face.
Maybe Gordon Ryan and his two friends from the DDS could pull it off even in that circumstance but not many normal mortals.

Well worn territory in every EBI discussion I've seen. But yeah, well done in pointing to a fight ON THE SAME CARD

2-1 RDA

That eye poke by Tony was fucked but props to him for not swarming. Herb should have given RDA 5 minutes given how bad it was and his failure to warn Tony about his outstretched fingers - which he is still doing.

3-2 Ferguson

Great fight, but that eye poke was a game changer. Ferguson gets more dangerous as he goes but RDA starts strong and maintains that pace all throughout. No knowing how the fight would have gone without the poke. I wish it hadn't happened.

Anyone who experiences a weight cutting disaster trying to game a same day weigh in deserves the disaster.

The only reason to institute it in the first place is to prevent weight cutting on the level we've seen lately. It's either that or institute divisions that are 5lbs apart like we see in boxing.

Ferguson is a really interesting fighter to watch. I see holes in his game all over the place, but there is no denying he's incredibly effective and creative.

His weird timing must really be throwing guys off because there are some absolute issues in his game

3N16MA

Banned
Ferguson is a really interesting fighter to watch. I see holes in his game all over the place, but there is no denying he's incredibly effective and creative.

His weird timing must really be throwing guys off because there are some absolute issues in his game

He gets hit with hard shots repeatedly but he is kind of unorthodox and constantly applies pressure. His solid chin, long reach, and unlimited gas tank allows him to stand in there. He seems to never get tired and can end it with his striking or on the mat with a sub.

Barboza hit him with several nasty shots and he kept on coming for more until he finally ended it.

He gets hit with hard shots repeatedly but he is kind of unorthodox and constantly applies pressure. His solid chin, long reach, and unlimited gas tank allows him to stand in there. He seems to never get tired and can end it with his striking or on the mat with a sub.

Barboza hit him with several nasty shots and he kept on coming for more until he finally ended it.

Yup his chin saves him a lot. I notice it repeatedly in his fights, that he does a pretty poor job of keeping his head off the center line, and often times his feet are out of position and he takes hard shots because of it. If you go back and watch tape its almost every fight. But that chin on him is rock fucking solid and its helping him a lot.

I'm not bashing him as a fighter, he's really good, but there are some big holes there, that on the right night with the right person can definitely take advantage of.

He's like the MMA version of a drunken boxer.

JB1981

Anyone else think that fight was crazy high-level from a conditioning and pace perspective? These guys never slowed down. Can't see Mcgregor doing that for 5 rounds

Dariush trained with RDA and that's his boy but noticed Rafael Cordero was in Dariush's corner. That means RDA and Rafael must have had some backward moments in training camp and in preparation for the fight. I know they say the split was ammacable but anytime there's big money involved it's a bit odd. Must have been a distraction for RDA.

Hats off to Ferguson. Dude took RDA's best kicks to the body and punches to his face and he walked right through them. Still keeps his chin high though but his unpredictable style makes up for it. Hope he gets the winner of 205 rather than Khabib. Ferguson has fought more and has only had to pull out of one fight and that should be rewarded.

3N16MA

Banned
Dariush trained with RDA and that's his boy but noticed Rafael Cordero was in Dariush's corner. That means RDA and Rafael must have had some backward moments in training camp and in preparation for the fight. I know they say the split was ammacable but anytime there's big money involved it's a bit odd. Must have been a distraction for RDA.

Hats off to Ferguson. Dude took RDA's best kicks to the body and punches to his face and he walked right through them. Still keeps his chin high though but his unpredictable style makes up for it. Hope he gets the winner of 205 rather than Khabib. Ferguson has fought more and has only had to pull out of one fight and that should be rewarded.

He has done everything to earn a shot. If Khabib wins at 205 he also deserves a shot.

I hope these guys don't have a fight to determine who gets a title shot. Both should be waiting in the wings for their chance.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Anyone who experiences a weight cutting disaster trying to game a same day weigh in deserves the disaster.

The only reason to institute it in the first place is to prevent weight cutting on the level we've seen lately. It's either that or institute divisions that are 5lbs apart like we see in boxing.
MMA weight classes are fucked. They need to be redistributed above lightweight.

broz0rs

For a guy who talks a lot of trash on twitter, I can't believe Tony didn't call out for a title shot during his post fight interview. Perhaps his head was a bit warped from that fight?

What a shitty reply. Obviously I'm not saying they deserve death. I'm saying it's stupid to blame the existence of a rule for people damaging themselves in trying to circumvent the rule.

But mortal health consequences are what people are talking about when they say "weight cutting disaster."

Gotta love Ferguson's corner in between rounds. They were like, "leg kick, salsa, jab."

I found it amusing too. I mean, they're just talking about his stance switching while he moves forward, but Tony still has fun with it and dances a bit anyway.

Uh so apparently Frankie Edgar is coming to Ireland in January to do a meet and greet at the Clonsilla Inn. For anyone not from Ireland, that's the equivalent of going to a shitty dive bar in the middle of nowhere. This is literally the strangest shit I ever heard

Eanan

Uh so apparently Frankie Edgar is coming to Ireland in January to do a meet and greet at the Clonsilla Inn. For anyone not from Ireland, that's the equivalent of going to a shitty dive bar in the middle of nowhere. This is literally the strangest shit I ever heard

Has any official source confirmed this yet or even anything from him or any of his team?

It seems a bit random and not sure why he would come all the way there for a night unless his doing a ireland and UK tour or something?

Has any official source confirmed this yet or even anything from him or any of his team?

It seems a bit random and not sure why he would come all the way there for a night unless his doing a ireland and UK tour or something?

Frankie retweeted it so....

Top Bottom