• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Chumley

Banned
Chael had to go and rant about the polls being rigged for the left and FOX being unfair to Trump on his latest podcast. Even though Trump won and he got what he wanted.

Just when I was forgetting what a fucking dumbass that guy actually is.

In light of the Jon Jones fuckery, I'mma post this cause DC is a fucking gift to the sport.

https://youtu.be/gI9_FmE109I?t=2757

So, Dana fuckin' White went partying with the Diaz bros and he put Nate in a clinch and Nate wanted to kill him and Nick was the reason he didnt.

I wish I couldve been there!

Nick is the dude that would just play along and maybe take it a bit too far. Nate is the one that'll kill a motherfucker. Funny how TUF made people think it was the other way around.

This
He’s become less McGregor the clever and more Diaz, the foil of early 2016 who never could match McGregor’s splendid needling and responded in kind with sixth-grade insults.

seems like such an odd and unnecessary insult aimed at Diaz - who still has the best lines of their exchanges.

Weckum

Good. I root against that douchebag every time he fights.

I still love his "kickboxing" match.

crop_aoki-middle-finger-2009.jpg

RIP in pieces Poly :(

Levito

Banned
I really hope those rumors that Trump might be at 205 aren't true. This whole week has been so trying and I need this little bit of escapism.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/11/...enderson-grappling-match-headlines-submission

Jones, 29, is expected to headline Submission Underground's second event in a grappling match against Dan Henderson on Dec. 11 at the Roseland Theater in Portland, Oregon.
[...]
"I don't think that affects it," said Sonnen, who claimed he was unaware of the suspension at the time of his announcement. "... Grappling never has in the past, but the commission, if they ask for something, particularly if you're making a deal, you want to do it their way. So I imagine there could be some red tape there.

"I don't have a concern about it," Sonnen continued. "But I suppose we have to go back to the other side and make sure there's nothing missing there."

Weckum

Just saw the fights.

First fight I was really impressed by Conor. Then again, it was against Eddie Alvarez. I want to see Conor fight Khabib.

Just saw the fights.

First fight I was really impressed by Conor. Then again, it was against Eddie Alvarez. I want to see Conor fight Khabib.

Yeah hats off to Conor, he beat the brakes off Eddie but really I thought Eddie got lucky against RDA in my opinion and before that wasn't exactly super impressive. when a guy in work asked me about this fight a few weeks ago I straight up said Alvarez has nothing for Conor. His wrestling was about the only advantage and he didn't use it at all. Khabib would wrestlefuck Conor hard. But if nothing else that fight really made me even more impressed with Diaz' chin. He ate those shots that slept Alvarez.

Sorry to see Tate go out like that too. What a year for her, from Bantamweight Champion to retiring on a 2 fight losing skid. Well always have her ass I guess.

Eanan

Khabib would wrestlefuck Conor hard.

If Michael johnson can wobble Khabib, then Conor has a very good chance of putting him to sleep.

Of course if Khabib grabs him and gets him to the ground id be worried, but id bank on Conor stunning him before that or catching him while he comes in. The guys stand up is on another level to the 155 division.

Woodley says he wants a rematch with Wonderboy but after McGregor.

You think McGregor takes the bait and changes Woodley's bum life? It's not like a loss to Woodley would damage McGregor's mystique.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Woodley would demolish Connor, but I don't think Connor cares much, as he's not long for the sport. I give him 3 more fights top. Retire early and live the life.

geardo

Tate retired?

That's what she said. I'm not sure if it will hold up considering how terrible athletes are at actually retiring.

I think that she would be smart to do so to be honest though. Why get punched in the face anymore? Everyone knows about CTE at this point. She won the belt, and was a forerunner of women's MMA. Her legacy is intact and legit as fuck.

brentech

I think she may. She had thought about it a couple fights back, and again after losing the belt. She's been fighting a long time. It just didn't look like she truly wanted to be there after getting hit again.

N° 2048

Tate retired at MSG for a reason. I really believe this is her last fight. She really doesn't have the passion anymore, she said it post fight.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Yeah, remember she almost retired a few years ago, around the end of Strike force when their shows were getting cacncelled.

But I think after getting the UFC belt, she just wasn't hungry anymore as said. You could tell from this fight she was a step behind.

She will probably get picked up for a color gig or something. They don't have any female announcers and she is cute and has a great personality.

She's always been a step behind. Always been a bad fighter.

Only reason she got wins was because most of her opponents had basically no ground and then were too stupid to stay out of her clinch.

Ceallach

You can't say someone with multiple championships is a bad fighter. She is one of the greats. But her and Ronda both remind me of Tito Ortiz, great for their time, until more complete fighters came up.

You can't say someone with multiple championships is a bad fighter. She is one of the greats. But her and Ronda both remind me of Tito Ortiz, great for their time, until more complete fighters came up.

I can and I will. She's not a good fighter. Not trying to be disrespectful to you, her, or anyone else. I just think she has never been great.

Championships are sometimes more of a function of timing than skill.

If Miesha fights someone other than Holly for the belt she likely doesn't win it. Likely.

I wouldn't say Miesha is a bad fighter but she's facing a similar situation all those guys from the mid to late 2000s faced just at a more delayed pace. You're starting to get more and more women fighters who are evolved. Miesha had a strong wrestling and grappling skill set when most other women fighters were out there just sorta winging punches and hoping for the best on the ground. Now you have women like Alexa Grasso showing up who are out of the gate well rounded. A new breed is starting to take over.

Championships are sometimes more of a function of timing than skill.

*cough* Bisping

Ceallach

I wouldn't say Miesha is a bad fighter but she's facing a similar situation all those guys from the mid to late 2000s faced just at a more delayed pace. You're starting to get more and more women fighters who are evolved. Miesha had a strong wrestling and grappling skill set when most other women fighters were out there just sorta winging punches and hoping for the best on the ground. Now you have women like Alexa Grasso showing up who are out of the gate well rounded. A new breed is starting to take over.

*cough* Bisping
Exactly. She is among the elite of her generation. And every generation builds on the previous, learns from the previous. She is Chuck Lidell or Mark Coleman. Great until the next generation came along.

brentech

Yes, early WMMA. Like her title win against Holly Holm from years ago.

This is the point I was making as well. Miesha has been fighting pro since 2007?
A majority of women's fights are still old school style vs style fights. There aren't a lot of women that have skill in every area like there are men.
It's still early in that regard. Miesha is a victim of the sport evolving as more women come in that can defend a take down and can throw real punches.

It's like saying early men fighters are bad and were always bad because they can't compete with modern MMA fighters.

Exactly. She is among the elite of her generation. And every generation builds on the previous, learns from the previous. She is Chuck Lidell or Mark Coleman. Great until the next generation came along.

Chuck Liddell is another prime example of having favorable stylistic matchups.

This is the point I was making as well. Miesha has been fighting pro since 2007?
A majority of women's fights are still old school style vs style fights. There aren't a lot of women that have skill in every area like there are men.
It's still early in that regard. Miesha is a victim of the sport evolving as more women come in that can defend a take down and can throw real punches.

It's like saying early men fighters are bad and were always bad because they can't compete with modern MMA fighters.

I understand what you're saying but it doesn't apply to Miesha. At least to me. Agree to disagree.

Besides, it's not valid to say that because she started so much earlier than everyone else is why she's one-note. By 2007 MMA was already around for 14 or so years. MMA was being taught by that time. Not just karate versus BJJ and whatnot. When she started she should've been learning all or most of the disciplines and I'm sure she was. However, her standup never evolved because she's just not that good, whereas, other people in a similar amount of time would've progressed.

Look at Wonderboy. Hell, from the time between the Matt Brown fight and 205 isn't that long, yet, look at how much Wonderboy has progressed in clinch work and defensive wrestling.

Ceallach

Wonderboy/Woodley was so good, the rematch should main like the Superbowl weekend show depending on medicals. Neither looked too beat up.

Chesskid1

Banned
was perusing woodley's wiki and read he gave back gastelum's 30% penalty when he missed weight vs him

damn, what a nice dude.

michael page fighting this weekend, f yeah!

was perusing woodley's wiki and read he gave back gastelum's 30% penalty when he missed weight vs him

damn, what a nice dude.

Yeah, I often forget that. I actually like him but the way he acted about the WB fight pissed me off. I get why he was doing it but thought he shouldn't have. Either way, yeah, seems like good people.

Top Bottom