• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Khabibs biggest win was RDA back in 2014. Hes a good grappler but never fought anybody that could strike really good. RDA in their match wasnt getting off punches and didnt know what to do on the fence or the ground.

jay23

Just make Khabib vs Tony for a interim title while Connor is away. Both guys deserve a title shot and I'm not sure how you decide who gets it first.

look @ the guys khabib has fought

all guys barely getting into the top 10

Yeah, I guess he hasn't fought Lando Vanata or whatever the eff his name is.

Khabibs biggest win was RDA back in 2014. Hes a good grappler but never fought anybody that could strike really good. RDA in their match wasnt getting off punches and didnt know what to do on the fence or the ground.

Yeah. I forgot he was a white belt in 2014 and him not getting off punches DEFINITELY has nothing to do with him being ragdolled.

Just make Khabib vs Tony for a interim title while Connor is away. Both guys deserve a title shot and I'm not sure how you decide who gets it first.

After they fight who gets it? I hate this notion that the top 2 guys should fight each other before the champ, leaving nobody else to fight for the title.

zewone

After they fight who gets it? I hate this notion that the top 2 guys should fight each other before the champ, leaving nobody else to fight for the title.

In the case of Conor, he has plenty of people to fight. He doesn't need to keep defending the lightweight belt, which means a new contender for the belt can be settled in that time.

Weckum

Conor didn't have any legit wins when he fought for the title either. Denis Siver, Midget Mendes and Dustin Poirier were his biggest wins. Maybe Holloway, but he was a rookie when they fought.

jay23

Yeah, I guess he hasn't fought Lando Vanata or whatever the eff his name is.

I guess that depends on how long Conor will be away for? Are Tony and Khabib gonna be ok sitting out till May or most likely even more time. What if he decides to fight Aldo once he returns? I just don't see those guys sitting around waiting for Conor's decision.

Funny you mention lando vanata I'm actually looking forward to watching him fight again lol.

Funny you mention lando vanata I'm actually looking forward to watching him fight again lol.

Oh I am too. I think with a training camp he would have beaten Ferguson. But everybody wanted to complain about Khabib fighting Horcher but looked the other way when Ferguson was getting clowned on most of the fight by a newbie on short notice. Khabib at least smashed his newbie on short notice without it being anywhere near close.

Tony fought a whopping 6 times while Khabib was hurt. He deserves the belt more due to activity and victory over former champ RDA.

So Ferguson's win over RDA is more impressive because it's post-title?

Lol, alrighty. Feels pretty silly to say beating RDA is not impressive but beating RDA, now that is impressive.

Wut?!

Levito

Banned
Conor fans tripping over themselves to find reasons for him to not fight Khabib(or Tony Ferguson). Conor lost this year to a guy ranked 6th and on 11 days notice no less. Stop pretending he's invincible.

Also, Khabib being Muslim should have no weight on whether or not he's deserving of a title shot, implying so is pretty fucked up. In fact it's blatant bigotry, freedom of religion is a thing if you didn't know.

After seeing him get lit up by Johnson, Conor would KO him in the first.

He got hit once, then went on to completely dominate the fight. Since y'all are so keen on using MMAth, Johnson took out Dustin Poirier faster and more clean than Conor did. Dustin was way better than when Conor fought him too.

I honestly don't understand why Conor fans wouldn't be intrigued by this match up. It's a very classic style vs style fight, Conor could light Khabib up for sure, but Khabib could also snuff out Conor on the ground. Only reason I see fans being against this is they are scared of Conor losing again.

Khabib and El Cucuy are pretty much on the exact same boat. I don't see how you can make the argument for one over the other when you can just have them fight each other instead.

Levito

Banned
Khabib and El Cucuy are pretty much on the exact same boat. I don't see how you can make the argument for one over the other when you can just have them fight each other instead.

If Conor really is going to take some time off, then having the two of them go at it seems like a fair compromise. That fight was supposed to happen this year anyways until Tony had to pull out.

If Conor really is going to take some time off, then having the two of them go at it seems like a fair compromise. That fight was supposed to happen this year anyways until Tony had to pull out.

Exactly. And it's not like Ferguson/Khabib wouldn't be a potentially great fight. That's a pretty good clash of styles.

Mendes was ranked #2. Get a grip, brah.

Not denying Conor deserved the shot, but I think there's an asterisk on the Mendes fight considering he was short notice and had his way with Conor until he gassed and got knocked out. Granted, the body kicks were fucking him up too, but he was already by that point. I think Mendes is overlooked as far as fighters deserving a rematch with Conor.

There isn't much of an argument to make when you consider activity and quality of opponents. Ferguson is the rightful #1 contender and should be first in line for the title. Of course he isn't because Khabib has all that hype behind him, but he ought to be.

Nah f*ck Ferg. He has been so hush hush, dude needed to sell himself after that W and layed a fat egg.

Khabib should fight him, dude is on that just don't give a f*ck mode and it's great. If he can get Conor to agree to a fight, great ... and just pay Ferg as the stand by if someone pulls out .

But they might both get bent over and Diaz gets the shot next .

Also, Khabib being Muslim should have no weight on whether or not he's deserving of a title shot, implying so is pretty fucked up. In fact it's blatant bigotry, freedom of religion is a thing if you didn't know. .

If anything, it should help him. Do you guys know the extreme amount of Muslim people in the world? It is nuts.

Also, Khabib being Muslim should have no weight on whether or not he's deserving of a title shot, implying so is pretty fucked up. In fact it's blatant bigotry, freedom of religion is a thing if you didn't know.
Way to take my statement out of context.

I think you meant to say that I was implying the UFC would keep him away from a title shot based on his religion. His wrestling style and inactivity has more to do with him not getting a title shot but I wouldn't doubt his religion plays a small part in keeping him out of the limelight. UFC simply looks down on being vocal about one's beliefs. Ben Henderson and Yoel Romero are perfect examples; Rogan in his post fights is given strict instructions to pull the mic away from them if they get preachy about Jesus.

I'd also hate to break it to you but the UFC discriminates. They didn't want Ben Askrin in the UFC, who has the same "boring" style as Khabib. They also kept Cyborg out of the UFC for a long time because they didn't want her to be the face of women's MMA. They even called referred to her as "Wanderlei Silva in a dress."

But hey, it isn't up to the UFC now. It's Conor's ship and he fights whoever the fuck he wants to fight.

Way to take my statement out of context.

I think you meant to say that I was implying the UFC would keep him away from a title shot based on his religion. His wrestling style and inactivity has more to do with him not getting a title shot but I wouldn't doubt his religion plays a small part in keeping him out of the limelight. UFC simply looks down on being vocal about one's beliefs. Ben Henderson and Yoel Romero are perfect examples; Rogan in his post fights is given strict instructions to pull the mic away from them if they get preachy about Jesus.

I'd also hate to break it to you but the UFC discriminates. They didn't want Ben Askrin in the UFC, who has the same "boring" style as Khabib. They also kept Cyborg out of the UFC for a long time because they didn't want her to be the face of women's MMA. They even called referred to her as "Wanderlei Silva in a dress."

But hey, it isn't up to the UFC now. It's Conor's ship and he fights whoever the fuck he wants to fight.

I agree with mostly everything said here. You put quotes around boring when referencing Ben Askren which implies you don't think he's boring. That's wrong.

I agree with mostly everything said here. You put quotes around boring when referencing Ben Askren which implies you don't think he's boring. That's wrong.
Majority of people including myself find him boring. I actually don't find Khabib boring because he doesn't settle for being in full guard like Askrin or GSP. Khabib will actually pass to half guard or side mount and brutally destroy his opponents' soul.

Guru-Guru

Banned
As much as I want to see Conor brought back down to earth, Khabibs ties to Kadyrov means I'd rather see him get ethered
Can you really blame Khabib though? Criticizing/not playing along with Kadyrov's bullshit could potentially get him killed. Kadyrov has killed reporters, politicians, and even regular citizens who have just disagreed with him. The dude is brutal. What's more unacceptable, in my eyes, is bums like Mir, Jones, and Weidman who aren't in danger of incurring Kadyrov's wrath, yet take 100k to go over there and entertain him for a weekend.

zewone

Conor fans tripping over themselves to find reasons for him to not fight Khabib(or Tony Ferguson). Conor lost this year to a guy ranked 6th and on 11 days notice no less. Stop pretending he's invincible.

He got hit once, then went on to completely dominate the fight. Since y'all are so keen on using MMAth, Johnson took out Dustin Poirier faster and more clean than Conor did. Dustin was way better than when Conor fought him too.

I honestly don't understand why Conor fans wouldn't be intrigued by this match up. It's a very classic style vs style fight, Conor could light Khabib up for sure, but Khabib could also snuff out Conor on the ground. Only reason I see fans being against this is they are scared of Conor losing again.
I honestly don't care who Conor fights, I just find Khabib's sense of entitlement annoying when he hasn't been active. Ferguson deserves the shot much more than him. If anything Ferg vs. Khabib, but Khabib says he won't agree to anything but a title shot.

I'm not afraid of Conor losing; I 100% think he would KO Khabib in the first.

pixelation

Spot on.

After seeing him get lit up by Johnson, Conor would KO him in the first.

I'd actually like to see the fight happen just so he'd shut up.

Agreed, no one but the hardest of hardcore would miss pillow fisted "bear wrestler dude", and he would get starched by McG within the first round, his stand-up game is atrocious.

Also... two cards, same day again?... i only complain because i won't be able to watch both of them live.

I just bumped into Cathal Pendred having a coffee. Let me tell you, that guy smells amazing. Sharp dresser too. Was slightly surprised to find I'm taller than him tho.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I saw Brandon Vera at a Costco last year. He was apparently visiting family in the VA Beach area. It got weird

Banglish

Edward is now a fan of Conor. Says he should go for the third belt. Fuck the UFC and the sport, I'm in. Just make it happen for the lulz.

jay23

Or take time off and now hold up 2 divisions.

Ehh he's been one of the most active fighters in the ufc this past year. Dana should keep his word and strip him of the 145 title or make him fight Aldo next.

The timing of this break kind of sucks since he just got the second belt and hasn't defended at featherweight yet, but it's not like he's ducking anyone dude fought 4 times in the last year.

dream

My god, back to back Ultimates today, spread across two continents, and you can't even assemble a Fox Sports Prelims card's worth of good fights from the two cards. I can't wait until Ari Gold demands that Dana stop throwing on garbage Joe vs. Joe cards just for the sake of having events.

dream

And next week we have a show headlined by "Robert Whittaker" and "Derek Brunson," co-headlined by "Jake Matthews" and "Andrew Holbrook." Human cockfighting has never been so non-descript.

Top Bottom