• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Cain's mediocrity is what holding DC back from becoming the ultimate HW GOAT.

If Cain wasn't there, DC could've even been a two weight champ in Jones' absence.

Levito

Banned
Cain is one of those fighters like Shogun or BJ where he looks incredible some of the time and garbage the other part of the time.

I've always thought stripping or handing out interim titles was stupid and pointless.

It's only ever made sense when the champion is out for an extended period of time. Like when they took the HW belt off Frank Mir after his motorcycle accident, or when Cruz suffered repeat injuries.

Also Jones would destroy Rumble with ease, Jones is way too smart and technical to get caught by Rumble.

They need to get Mousasi to go up to fight rumble for the interim belt.

Cain is one of those fighters like Shogun or BJ where he looks incredible some of the time and garbage the other part of the time.

It's only ever made sense when the champion is out for an extended period of time. Like when they took the HW belt off Frank Mir after his motorcycle accident, or when Cruz suffered repeat injuries.

Also Jones would destroy Rumble with ease, Jones is way too smart and technical to get caught by Rumble.

I'm a big Jones fan but I don't think it would be super easy for him. In his advantage? Yes. But destroy rumble with ease? No.

They need to get Mousasi to go up to fight rumble for the interim belt.

I'm a big Jones fan but I don't think it would be super easy for him. In his advantage? Yes. But destroy rumble with ease? No.

I think it would be a lot like the Glover or even DC fight. Jones would use his length to keep AJ at bay and, when necessary, use his superior strength and wrestling to grind him up and keep him from unleashing a bomb. It would probably be a 5 round snoozer but I doubt Jones would have much trouble.

I think it would be a lot like the Glover or even DC fight. Jones would use his length to keep AJ at bay and, when necessary, use his superior strength and wrestling to grind him up and keep him from unleashing a bomb. It would probably be a 5 round snoozer but I doubt Jones would have much trouble.

Yeah if the fight gets past the first 2 rounds then it's over, but you can never count Rumble out because of his KO power. Jones has a great chin, but that doesn't matter against rumble unless you're Cormier.

I'd say Prime Jones would probably do that.

The Jones we saw against OSP? Eh, I don't know. I think his chin gets tested. Jones has got a chin on him though, it hasn't been tested much in the past, but he's taken some hard hits and carried on.

"Keep his belt(DC)" - People obsessing with stripping Conor's belt.

It works both ways.

DC hasn't been avoiding top competitors coming for his belt. He's always been game. People calling for him to be stripped are by and large purely wanting it as a punitive measure against the guy for getting injured, despite there not being anyone they'd really like to see fight for the belt aside from Rumble, making an interim title fight against dudes he's already KO'd like Bader and Manuwa pointless.

Conor, on the other hand, has a long list of contenders to go through, both in featherweight and at lightweight. At FW, you've got Jose Aldo, first and foremost, Max Holloway and Frankie Edgar all waiting for their shot at the belt. At LW, it's Ferguson and Khabib waiting to get theirs.

Rather than face any of these dudes, Conor's been allowed to have two fights at WW and got an immediate title shot at LW. What? And now, while totally understandable, the guy has decided to take time off until May, 2017, leaving two divisions on hold until then, and in that time we'll probably see Aldo defend his interim belt lol.

DC and Conor aren't remotely comparable.

zewone

DC hasn't been avoiding top competitors coming for his belt. He's always been game. People calling for him to be stripped are by and large purely wanting it as a punitive measure against the guy for getting injured, despite there not being anyone they'd really like to see fight for the belt aside from Rumble, making an interim title fight against dudes he's already KO'd like Bader and Manuwa pointless.

Conor, on the other hand, has a long list of contenders to go through, both in featherweight and at lightweight. At FW, you've got Jose Aldo, first and foremost, Max Holloway and Frankie Edgar all waiting for their shot at the belt. At LW, it's Ferguson and Khabib waiting to get theirs.

Rather than face any of these dudes, Conor's been allowed to have two fights at WW and got an immediate title shot at LW. What? And now, while totally understandable, the guy has decided to take time off until May, 2017, leaving two divisions on hold until then, and in that time we'll probably see Aldo defend his interim belt lol.

DC and Conor aren't remotely comparable.

I"m not comparing Conor to DC. Conor is the best fighter on the planet right now and DC is a guy with a fake belt who is constantly injured.

Strip him.

I"m not comparing Conor to DC. Conor is the best fighter on the planet right now and DC is a guy with a fake belt who is constantly injured.

Strip him.

oiT8ABU.gif

Levito

Banned
Look y'all, fascism is making a big comeback in western civilization right now, so it's fitting to accept Russia's finest Khabib as your new king.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Connie Mac gonna get stripped

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 2m2 minutes ago

As of now, plan is Anthony Pettis vs. Max Holloway for the interim 145 lbs. title happening 12/10 in Toronto. That's what the UFC wants.

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 1m1 minute ago

That's per multiple sources. Should they finalize it, & it's close, Jose Aldo would become the new 145 lbs champ. McGregor? That's, well...

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 1m1 minute ago

UFC has been pushing to strip McGregor of the 145 title for some time. Legally, they can. Would be interesting to see how he responds.

Probably justified. He hasn't defended it in a year and doesn't look like he even wants to.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Honestly I doubt most people give a shit about UFC belts. Maybe if they each had unique designs or something I could muster up some interest. The constant interim belts and injuries make them meaningless.

Levito

Banned
Unless you have like Conor or Ronda as the headliner, the UFC isn't going to sell out a big arena in Canada without actual Canadian fighters. I was at that Fight Night in Vancouver back in August and despite the fact that the card was super stacked, it had no Canadian fighters, and as a result the arena was half empty. Meanwhile that Wonderboy vs Rory event sold out in like 10 minutes.

Either they pay GSP what he wants, or we're gonna hear about how Canada was never Dana's friend sometime soon.

Connie Mac gonna get stripped

Probably justified. He hasn't defended it in a year and doesn't look like he even wants to.

It's more than justified, it's overdue. Pretty dumb Pettis/Holloway is for the interim belt but they gotta sell that PPV.

Wait so why not just have Aldo fight someone for the title? They are going to give a title to Aldo without him having to do anything for it, and then also have an interim match?

Aldo has the interim belt. Conor has refused to defend the real belt within a reasonable time. Precedent follows Aldo is promoted to champion. McGregor will probably get ranked #1 contender, thus forcing him to rematch Aldo to reclaim the belt if he still wants to be a two division champion.

Stripping Conor wouldn't do them any favors. A division with fake belts that he already dismantled.

Short-sighted UFC.

Conor has stalled the division long enough. It's not like he was a dominant champion. He beat Porier, KO'd an exhausted Mendes after getting ragdolled and flash KO'd Aldo to get there before moving on to the next division. If he had done all those things as champ you'd have an argument, but McGregor has never defended a belt in his career and the UFC should strip him if he refuses to fulfil his responsibilities as champion, which he has.

Aldo has the interim belt. Conor has refused to defend the real belt within a reasonable time. Precedent follows Aldo is promoted to champion. McGregor will probably get ranked #1 contender, thus forcing him to rematch Aldo to reclaim the belt if he still wants to be a two division champion.

I get that, but to then turn around and have an interim fight seems stupid. Aldo isn't injured.

Aldo had 14 months between Mendes and McGregor.

It's 11 months since McGregor got the belt.

Aldo was injured and a dominant champion with 7 successful title defences.

McGregor has been perfectly capable of fighting in the 11 months he has been champion and has spent that time fighting outside of his division rather than defending his belt.

The two are not comparable.

The first Diaz fight was understandable. The second was not. The Alvarez fight was a farce, as by that time he wasn't even the undisputed FW champ and still fought for the LW belt.

Unless you have like Conor or Ronda as the headliner, the UFC isn't going to sell out a big arena in Canada without actual Canadian fighters. I was at that Fight Night in Vancouver back in August and despite the fact that the card was super stacked, it had no Canadian fighters, and as a result the arena was half empty. Meanwhile that Wonderboy vs Rory event sold out in like 10 minutes.

Either they pay GSP what he wants, or we're gonna hear about how Canada was never Dana's friend sometime soon.

No, one of the problems is they put way too many Canadian fighters no one cares about on the undercard =/

iddqd

First event in Ottawa and Ottawa was READY for it. Would have sold out with Ryan Bader headlining.

Connor will never cut to 145 again. Turning into a Dad adds 15pounds and no air dyne or nutrition expert can make that go away.

Top Bottom