• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I punished myself and watched that main event last night. Derek Brunson may be the dumbest fighter I've ever seen.

Levito

Banned
I wouldn't go as far as to call MMA human cockfighting but god damn if it isn't a morally bankrupt business. These men and women are comically underpaid and are one punch or kick away from their career's being over. 10 years is considered a long career in this sport, and the overwhelming majority of the fighters make fucking piss ant money.

An example of this being Rory MacDonald and his second fight with Robbie Lawler. That is largely considered the best fight ever, was watched by millions, and apparently Rory made something like $68,000 total for it. That fight was so brutal that Rory might not be the same these days because of it. The very fact that he's not making his Bellator debut till summer 2017 is telling.

Think about that, dude that is only 27 years old and just had a daughter--who knows how much longer he can keep fighting, how's he supposed to support himself and his family if he has to stop fighting soon? Shit is really fucked up, and hearing that the UFC sold for $4 Billion is even more telling how much of the earnings is pocketed by the promoter.

pixelation

zDo3hXam.jpg

God damn joke. What an odd way to gain the title.

av2k

Maybe my search button is broketh but is there a ultimate fighter thread season 24 lurking around some here or is this the place to talk about it? :3

I wouldn't go as far as to call MMA human cockfighting but god damn if it isn't a morally bankrupt business. These men and women are comically underpaid and are one punch or kick away from their career's being over. 10 years is considered a long career in this sport, and the overwhelming majority of the fighters make fucking piss ant money.

An example of this being Rory MacDonald and his second fight with Robbie Lawler. That is largely considered the best fight ever, was watched by millions, and apparently Rory made something like $68,000 total for it. That fight was so brutal that Rory might not be the same these days because of it. The very fact that he's not making his Bellator debut till summer 2017 is telling.

Think about that, dude that is only 27 years old and just had a daughter--who knows how much longer he can keep fighting, how's he supposed to support himself and his family if he has to stop fighting soon? Shit is really fucked up, and hearing that the UFC sold for $4 Billion is even more telling how much of the earnings is pocketed by the promoter.

I sometimes wonder why anyone gets into the sport at all. My brother in law had a couple of fights in cage warriors and his highest payday was 500 euro. There's a girl at my BJJ gym who is like 15 at the most, she's already doing BJJ muay thai etc, all her FB and IG usernames end in -MMA, and I'm just like, what's the point? You're gonna bust yourself up badly all on the 1 in a million chance you might be the next Rousey, but more likely you'll be the next Betche making 12/12 and ruining your brain forever. Stay in school, kids.

SteveWD40

I sometimes wonder why anyone gets into the sport at all. My brother in law had a couple of fights in cage warriors and his highest payday was 500 euro. There's a girl at my BJJ gym who is like 15 at the most, she's already doing BJJ muay thai etc, all her FB and IG usernames end in -MMA, and I'm just like, what's the point? You're gonna bust yourself up badly all on the 1 in a million chance you might be the next Rousey, but more likely you'll be the next Betche making 12/12 and ruining your brain forever. Stay in school, kids.

Yep, the UFC are killing the sport just as it hit it's stride.

If they had established a feeder league / brand, pushed fighter pay into a tiered system and didn't just focus 100% on how many twitter followers a fighter has they may be running a real sport right now and not reliant on a few "stars".

Shame they didn't get into this to run a sport, but rather the WWE.

Yep, the UFC are killing the sport just as it hit it's stride.

If they had established a feeder league / brand, pushed fighter pay into a tiered system and didn't just focus 100% on how many twitter followers a fighter has they may be running a real sport right now and not reliant on a few "stars".

Shame they didn't get into this to run a sport, but rather the WWE.

Its funny how badly Dana tried to distance UFC from WWE in the beginning, only now for it to come full circle and have UFC be closer to the WWE than ever.

Levito

Banned

Well like most passion pursuits, I'd imagine they do it because they love it.

Bottom line is MMA will always linger on the fringe of the sporting world if the top promotion doesn't start treating it's athletes with more respect. Fighters shouldn't be contractors, they should have better health insurance, they should be able to have sponsors, and they shouldn't be afraid to be cut if they lose twice in a row.

I feel like one day an MMA Legend is going to die super young and the mainstream media outlets will finally see how fucking terrible the UFC treats the fighters.

That pessimistic view doesnt work in combat sports.
All great fighters came from shitholes, stacked against all odds. Pacquiao especially.

Its just that their trainers arent honest with them and they wont tell them that they couldnt bust a pinata and that they shouldnt be fighting at all. How many times have we seen people win badly or lose badly and they keep doing it...

if the thing you're best at is some kind of combat sport what else are you going to do? If you are a former college wrestler? Or a guy who has been a BJJ practitioner wince you were 16? There aren't a lot of career options in that space. You just have to hope you hit the jackpot and become one of the lucky few who can make a comfortable living in MMA.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Gotta be a union announcement. That Reebok deal is looking worse and worse for the Ultimate at every moment.

It would be extra hilarious if CAA formed their own organization, though.

That pessimistic view doesnt work in combat sports.
All great fighters came from shitholes, stacked against all odds. Pacquiao especially.

Its just that their trainers arent honest with them and they wont tell them that they couldnt bust a pinata and that they shouldnt be fighting at all. How many times have we seen people win badly or lose badly and they keep doing it...

I didn't mean it to sound like I don't think people should try, I just meant the odds of being the next McGregor are much much higher than say, being a pro soccer player. The money is dreadful, like McGregor is an outlier, and when only one or maybe 2 people in your entire sport earn enough money to be set for life, then choosing a career in that field is just crazy. Especially considering the damage you get will literally ruin your life in later years. Fair play to the people who do do it, but when so many fighters struggle to make ends meet in the biggest fight league in the world something is seriously wrong.

Like if someone told me only 2 people in the IT administrator field earned a wage they could live on, I'd have said fuck this I'm gonna go work at McDonald's

Fox318

That Reebok deal may be one of the worst things the UFC has ever signed.

I don't even imagine they sell many kits or the people who watch UFC are buying their fight gear.

Its not like MusclePharm is paying them more because fighters don't have muscle milk on their shorts either.

its hilarious that the octagon can have a million different ads glued on it yet fighters have to wear those shoddy reebok kits with little incentive.

Benson only makes 50k a fight in bellator. Think how much money sponsors adds to his salary to want to switch ships. I'm sure UFC offered him over 50k a fight to stay.

Fox318

its hilarious that the octagon can have a million different ads glued on it yet fighters have to wear those shoddy reebok kits with little incentive.

Benson only makes 50k a fight in bellator. Think how much money sponsors adds to his salary to want to switch ships. I'm sure UFC offered him over 50k a fight to stay.

I can understand the logic when it comes to cleaning up the image a little.

Shit like fighters coming out with dude wipes and condom websites was going to hold the sport back from being a mainstream thing that can be on ESPN at 12 in the after noon at an office.

There should have been a compromise with the UFC either listing a select number of sponsors they can't have or have it so the fighters get 1 or 2 sponsors on their gear with a gym or discipline logo on it.

Maybe say that if the UFC has a deal with an energy drink company you can't have rockstar on your shorts but each fighter gets a small cut on the stuff advertised on the canvas.

Ultimately the deal combined with Bellator and others having lax drugtesting have made it more than viable for some to make more money outside the UFC.

Right now a guy like GSP can make more in sponsors outside of the sport than what they would be willing to pay a guy to fight.

When they're fighting well past their twilight to make ends meet, with no employable skills to fall back on, is that really true?

Trying to find the moral fiber of watching two people pummel each other into brain damage is what I find idiotic. This is an ugly sport with serious repercussions. No amount of bowing and saying 'osss!' is going to change that truth.

How do you think fighters pay their training? I don't know if you train, or have trained in the past, but it's expensive, and most fighters work regular jobs or run businesses or work in their field as instructors, trainers, writers etc. to make a living. Some don't, and don't have any means of making money outside of fighting, or perhaps not obvious options, but the answer to that problem is not the blase fuckery of your indifference to a giant trained killer of a woman beating the shit out of a 52 year old little Japanese woman that has no real combat experience and thus no business fighting said giant trained killer.

Defend that bullshit.

If you reduce all there is to martial arts and competing therein to the violence inflicted within it, then I don't see much point of continuing this conversation, but by golly could you use some perspective beyond the scope of your own comfort zone.

FUME5

"I was in a room and she was in a separate room," the Brazilian continued. "They announced me, I entered the press conference and then they announced her. When I saw her, I was like ‘oh my…’ At the press conference, someone asked her if she was going to train hard, and she said she wouldn’t because she can rely on the Japanese technology. I didn’t understand anything [laughs]. Japan is really different. But I don’t pick opponents."
"I didn’t want to fight a smaller girl, of course, because MMA is different," she continued. "I sparred with Tito (Ortiz) last week and he beat me up a lot, I pretty much survived there, but I was able to land a few punches. He said ‘Gabi, you’re really strong.’ I always trained with men. I’m strong. I don’t want to fight a smaller girl so people say I only win because I’m fighting smaller girls, because I’m stronger. I’ve been through that a lot in jiu-jitsu, and MMA is different. But that’s how the Japanese market works, so I took the fight. We’ll see what happens next. It was a surprise for me as well."

Heel

How do you think fighters pay their training? I don't know if you train, or have trained in the past, but it's expensive, and most fighters work regular jobs or run businesses or work in their field as instructors, trainers, writers etc. to make a living. Some don't, and don't have any means of making money outside of fighting, or perhaps not obvious options, but the answer to that problem is not the blase fuckery of your indifference to a giant trained killer of a woman beating the shit out of a 52 year old little Japanese woman that has no real combat experience and thus no business fighting said giant trained killer.

Defend that bullshit.

If you reduce all there is to martial arts and competing therein to the violence inflicted within it, then I don't see much point of continuing this conversation, but by golly could you use some perspective beyond the scope of your own comfort zone.

I don't even know what you're arguing. Why would I defend it? This "sport" is carny to the core. Not going to get offended every time I see a zebra has stripes. I know what I'm watching.

It would be fucking hilarious if Gabi loses.

Like somehow she gets caught in a flying heel hook or something dumb.

Right? lol

Fox318

Right? lol
I couldn't help but try and think of a way for Gabi to lose.

I mean here's what she has going for her

She's bigger
She's stronger
She's younger and her opponent hasn't fought in years and is in her 50s.
She has less injury history than her opponent
She's going to be better on the ground
She's got longer reach

I don't even know how somebody can go in and realistically game plan against her as a 50 year old.

What is she gonna try to out point her on strikes?

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
The fighters union thing has potential. I could see the UFC barring fighters especially since most are represented by a rival agency to WMEIMG. That and the reebok deal could bring the company down.

Top Bottom