• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Aldo is the interim champ. The current champ vacates the division and belt. The interim champ becomes the legitimate champ. SO WHY THE &%$# IS THERE GONNA BE AN INTERIM CHAMPIONSHIP BOUT BETWEEN PETTIS AND HOLLOWAY?!!! C'mon UFC get your shit together. It doesn't even make sense from a marketing gimmick stand point. Nobody who already knows these guys needs further incentive to be excited about that match up. And anyone who doesn't know them isn't gonna be excited about an 'interim title bout' between two guys they don't know.

Aldo is the interim champ. The current champ vacates the division and belt. The interim champ becomes the legitimate champ. SO WHY THE &%$# IS THERE GONNA BE AN INTERIM CHAMPIONSHIP BOUT BETWEEN PETTIS AND HOLLOWAY?!!! C'mon UFC get your shit together. It doesn't even make sense from a marketing gimmick stand point. Nobody who already knows these guys needs further incentive to be excited about that match up. And anyone who doesn't know them isn't gonna be excited about an 'interim title bout' between two guys they don't know.

They needed a contender for Aldo, interim champs are usually always contenders, Holloway has had 9 wins in a row yet no shots so he deserves to be in that running, and they need a backup plan in case Aldo can't or won't defend. (Last point is important because Aldo, the last time he publicly made a statement, said he was retired if he couldn't fight Conor next, which obviously isn't going to happen. Conor's moved on, the division must too, and there's a chance it might do so two champions later)

A mess of a situation for all involved that would have easily been avoided if they didn't trust one guy over everyone else. A mistake the UFC constantly runs into, and will never learn from and avoid.

Heel

This Aldo situation has only accentuated the fact that interim belts are just a hollow attempt to get someone over.

Actually beginning to think he'll never come back. Dana's #1 P4P "this kid is nasty" to an afterthought in one punch.

They needed a contender for Aldo, interim champs are usually always contenders, Holloway has had 9 wins in a row yet no shots so he deserves to be in that running, and they need a backup plan in case Aldo can't or won't defend. (Last point is important because Aldo, the last time he publicly made a statement, said he was retired if he couldn't fight Conor next, which obviously isn't going to happen. Conor's moved on, the division must too, and there's a chance it might do so two champions later)

A mess of a situation for all involved that would have easily been avoided if they didn't trust one guy over everyone else. A mistake the UFC constantly runs into, and will never learn from and avoid.

Interim champs are usually reserved for when the current champ is injured and can't compete. In this case the current and newly crowned champ, Jose Aldo, is perfectly healthy. There is no reason Perris/Holloway should be a title fight, it's just a desperate attempt by the UFC at saving face for a PPV that has gone to shit, otherwise you might as well make every "#1 contender fight" an interim title fight/

Levito

Banned
If the UFC did less events each year they could have more stacked cards overall and probably wouldn't need to "save" cards like 206.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Interim champs are usually reserved for when the current champ is injured and can't compete. In this case the current and newly crowned champ, Jose Aldo, is perfectly healthy. There is no reason Perris/Holloway should be a title fight, it's just a desperate attempt by the UFC at saving face for a PPV that has gone to shit, otherwise you might as well make every "#1 contender fight" an interim title fight/

How anyone can see it any other way baffles me.

Dwayne

If the UFC did less events each year they could have more stacked cards overall and probably wouldn't need to "save" cards like 206.

They need the cards as the roster is so large. Someone did the math here. Breaking the roster into leagues could be a solution, but it's a much harder sell to get people in the arena and watching the show when a card is B-league only fighters.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
That GSP (union?) press conference is due to start in 5 minutes.

14540541_216309675463189_3776311855698411520_n.jpg

alr1ght

Mixed Martial Arts Athletes Association

there it is

Funny enough, aren't Tim Kennedy and Cerrone staunch Republicans?

Fox318

That GSP (union?) press conference is due to start in 5 minutes.

14540541_216309675463189_3776311855698411520_n.jpg

I wonder if Monster is happy with someone like Cowboy there.

Same for guys with Reebok deals.

Man all the UFC had to do was say that sponsorship could be denied by the UFC with shit like the Condom Depot. ad

Mixed Martial Arts Athletes Association

there it is

Funny enough, aren't Tim Kennedy and Cerrone staunch Republicans?
I've learned from my conservative teacher and construction worker friends on Facebook that they're vehemently against all unions except the one they're in.

Edit: wait that eye injury Cerrone posted the other day was real?! I thought that was special fx makeup for a movie or something.

alr1ght

"Myself, I don't want it, because I think I'm going to be worth every penny of what Conor is," Alvey said. "I just need to get that win streak going and run my mouth a little bit. With a union like that I just don't like it."

LOL

Guy probably makes 15 and 15.

Levito

Banned
It's kinda telling in various ways that this union is very much talking just about the UFC, there are no Bellator fighters present.

alr1ght

As much as I dislike GSP as a fighter, props to him for stepping up. You always need one of the top earners to make a stand.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I'm on mobile, but someone should make a post in the OT about this, I was unaware until I hopped on twitter to check my ISP for service issues when I saw Helwani livetweeting this.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Ariel Helwani‏ @arielhelwani
Rebney says UFC fighters are independent contractors, so they should not form a union. "We are not forming a union. We are an association."4:48 PM · Nov 30, 2016

uhhhhhh... k?

Fox318

Cain being injured again is more proof he isn't worth the trouble to book.

Sure the 1 fight a year hes in he will look good if he makes it to the weigh in but all he has done is destroy guys who were stars or were at least able to get 3 to 4 fights in a year.

iddqd

The story who the real money behind this is could make for some bad press.
Would be super lame if its just a Agency vs Agency feud.

206 is going to be awkward!

Ariel Helwani‏ @arielhelwani
Rebney says UFC fighters are independent contractors, so they should not form a union. "We are not forming a union. We are an association."4:48 PM · Nov 30, 2016

uhhhhhh... k?
Unions typically enter into contracts with employers on behalf of the union members. Since UFC isn't their employer, it doesn't make sense that they would enter into a union contract. So I'm not sure what exactly this association could do for individual fighters, unless all members agreed to negotiate the same things, but they'd still negotiate as individuals.

FUME5

Unions typically enter into contracts with employers on behalf of the union members. Since UFC isn't their employer, it doesn't make sense that they would enter into a union contract. So I'm not sure what exactly this association could do for individual fighters, unless all members agreed to negotiate the same things, but they'd still negotiate as individuals.

Yeah, I'm not seeing anything concrete eventuating from this.

brentech

Yeah, I'm not seeing anything concrete eventuating from this.

Seeing Cowboy and Tim there, I'm sure what most are really trying to do is make sure they are paid in full from the UFC/Reebok for doing their job and showing up to the fight.
Also injury compensation is probably another note. Maybe guys have to have so many fights with the UFC before injury comp becomes a deal, but things like these are key points to anything that isn't a union.

FUME5

Seeing Cowboy and Tim there, I'm sure what most are really trying to do is make sure they are paid in full from the UFC/Reebok for doing their job and showing up to the fight.
Also injury compensation is probably another note. Maybe guys have to have so many fights with the UFC before injury comp becomes a deal, but things like these are key points to anything that isn't a union.

I'm all for these guys getting paid what they're worth (and getting medical compo etc) I just can't see what an "association" that seems to have little collective bargaining power is going to be able to do.

Regardless, I hope it's a step in the right direction.

I'm all for these guys getting paid what they're worth (and getting medical compo etc) I just can't see what an "association" that seems to have little collective bargaining power is going to be able to do.

Regardless, I hope it's a step in the right direction.

Dana is going to take one look at their sick ass logo and give in to all of their demands.

N° 2048

Fuck, I just want to watch two people beat the shit out of each other but have them paid properly/get what they need afterwards.

Top Bottom