• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

She said she almost died cutting weigh. After the fight she couldnt make a blood test because her blood was too thick to come out and she became heavily depressed.

Man...I hope she doesnt blow her 122 grand because that money hurt...

iddqd

Good lord, couldn't make the weight on 8 weeks notice...

I believe it

BQbsLZJ.jpg

RISevqz.jpg

Heel

I can understand why she would decline a 145 title in pursuit of Rousey. Sounds like some contractual fuckery on Dana's part, honestly.

Levito

Banned
Does anyone actually think Rousey will win at 207? I don't think Nunes is someone she can't beat, but that awkward stare down + running off stage thing at the 205 weigh ins made it look like she's not mentally ready for a fight at all.

Heel

The bookmakers.

The betting line is only a product of how the money is being laid by the public. They set a line they think will get even action on both sides, which adjusts accordingly, so they can win no matter what happens.

It's why the betting line tends to move late when well-informed sports bettors believe they see an opportunity to exploit the greater public perception.

The truth is the line opened with Rousey as a big favorite, and the betting has moved the line closer to even. That's the public's perception and how the money is coming in.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine when I see odds talk.

I just assumed Pretty Tony was bigger than Holloway but surprised to see Holloway has an inch on him.

The betting line is only a product of how the money is being laid by the public. They set a line they think will get even action on both sides, which adjusts accordingly, so they can win no matter what happens.

It's why the betting line tends to move late when well-informed sports bettors believe they see an opportunity to exploit the greater public perception.

The truth is the line opened with Rousey as a big favorite, and the betting has moved the line closer to even. That's the public's perception and how the money is coming in.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine when I see odds talk.

aka the reason why the odds on whoever Connor's opponents are are always tempting.

Levito

Banned
Has anyone here ever actually bet a significant amount of cash on a fight? I'm a wuss so I never would even if it was like Jon Jones vs Tank Abbott.

JJ vs Tank would probably be +1,500 for JJ so could be tempting to bet on Tank as a super long shot. But it will also probably be in someone's back yard and not available for betting online.

Man I hope that happens some day. How long would JJ have to be banned for him to need money that badly?

zewone

I would love to have seen Cyborg tear though Holm. Too bad.

Has anyone here ever actually bet a significant amount of cash on a fight? I'm a wuss so I never would even if it was like Jon Jones vs Tank Abbott.

I made about $5,000 betting on MMA fights this year. I stopped though as I was too focused on the bets and ruined my enjoyment of the sport.

I did live bet bet Aldo/Korean Zombie that the fight goes the distance. About a minute after I bet Korean Zombie pops his shoulder out.

I actually think Holm is one of the few fighters who have a shot (Rousey being another) against Cyborg. She would need to be motivated, box her absolute best, and have a good gameplan though. None of which we saw in her last fight.

Levito

Banned
JJ vs Tank would probably be +1,500 for JJ so could be tempting to bet on Tank as a super long shot. But it will also probably be in someone's back yard and not available for betting online.

Man I hope that happens some day. How long would JJ have to be banned for him to need money that badly?

Jon seems to never stay out of trouble so I think Jones vs Tank at Rizin New Years Eve show 2020 sounds plausible.

Chumley

Banned
Does anyone actually think Rousey will win at 207? I don't think Nunes is someone she can't beat, but that awkward stare down + running off stage thing at the 205 weigh ins made it look like she's not mentally ready for a fight at all.

Nunes is going to kill her.

geardo

I sure as heck don't, but it's not unfathomable. If it gets to the ground, who can say? I don't see Nunes going in there and fucking up the way Zingano did though. I think that Nunes plays it smart and uses good take down defense and the fight goes down similarly to the Tate fight.

This is what I wanted.

Levito

Banned
Last couple days I've been going back and watching old UFC in order starting at 1. Currently on 6.

We've come a long way.

It's amazing how violent the very original UFCs were. I don't even really like watching those fights cause they're usually horrible mismatches and one guy just gets fucking destroyed. Especially if it's a legit striker vs some guy that sold kung fu VHS tapes at the local mall.

brentech

I watched them on VHS as a kid, so I knew what I was getting into. Just been long time since I really dug into any of thesse early events outside of UFC 1.
Totally forgot Jim Brown was a commentator for all of these.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
It's amazing how violent the very original UFCs were. I don't even really like watching those fights cause they're usually horrible mismatches and one guy just gets fucking destroyed. Especially if it's a legit striker vs some guy that sold kung fu VHS tapes at the local mall.
The UFC was not representative of the best mma at the time. It really wasn't until well into the Zuffa era. Go look for some old shooto and pancrase.

Chesskid1

Banned
korean superboy is fighting this weekend! and so is the viking dude who knocked out paul harris.

i know most of ya'll were shitting on 206 but it's a nice little card, i want to see all the fights on the main

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I don't get why they are making a 145 and not a 155.

It practically kills her to make the cut so why not make it easier for her? The division is built just for her anyway.
The lack of talent at 155. Women's 155 is like men's HW.

Fox318

The lack of talent at 155. Women's 155 is like men's HW.

But they are building the class for her.

She can't even make 145 with 9 weeks notice...

Why make her cut when its practically killing her? She refuses to not bulk up so why a 145?

Do they really think more 135ers are gonna go up?

a 125 makes sense with 135ers willing to go down and some 115ers going up.

A 155 would bring in fresh faces for her and it wouldn't kill her cutting to that.

But they are building the class for her.

She can't even make 145 with 9 weeks notice...

Why make her cut when its practically killing her? She refuses to not bulk up so why a 145?

Do they really think more 135ers are gonna go up?

a 125 makes sense with 135ers willing to go down and some 115ers going up.

A 155 would bring in fresh faces for her and it wouldn't kill her cutting to that.

Because even the UFC would have trouble selling those squash matches.

There aren't enough viable/credible challengers at Womens 155 to make a division around. Rven 145 would likely be mostly comprised of 135ers who moved up just to get a shot at a title.

Why would anyone care to watch Cyborg vs a string of fighters with zero to two total fights on their records at 155?

Fox318

Because even the UFC would have trouble selling those squash matches.

There aren't enough viable/credible challengers at Womens 155 to make a division around. Rven 145 would likely be mostly comprised of 135ers who moved up just to get a shot at a title.

Why would anyone care to watch Cyborg vs a string of fighters with zero to two total fights on their records at 155?

People now are watcher her squash people that we know will lose quickly.

Right now the UFC needs to make money. Why make it harder for a draw to make weight?

People now are watcher her squash people that we know will lose quickly.

Right now the UFC needs to make money. Why make it harder for a draw to make weight?

The UFC has been giving her fights against people they can sell to casual fans. How do you sell someone with Cyborgs record against someone with little to no experience at all?

I don't believe Cyborg has the type of draw that allows her to carry a card with that type of opponent. The only time that kind of stuff works is when the fighter with little to know experience is drawing from another arena. Like we've seen with professional athletes from other sports or from professional wrestling.

The raptors mascot had an Mma training Montage at the game tonight, then walked over to Dana white doing the mcgregor strut as Vince McMahons no chance in hell was playing lol

Weckum

I know Lewis, Vilante and Camozzi.

Also lol @ Pettis.

Reminder: Rico Verhoeven is fighting Badr Hari in GLORY as well tomorrow.

iddqd

Yeah those Prelims from tonight, I have zero clue who anyone is.
And well done Pettis, dude talked about "this being his time" all week. No idea he meant lunch!

Top Bottom