• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Heel

I can see him dropping/stunning him with a hard kick to the side. Either way, has to worry a lot about it, and that also opens him up to a nice head kick.

Longo's "The Destruction 2.0" will prepare Weidman to check body kicks and high kicks with his knee, breaking Rockhold's shin. Checkmate, friend.

Rockhold and Weidman were going back and forth pretty heavy on the Fox Post Fight Show.

Weidman thinks Rockhold isn't an expert in any discipline...after just choking out Machida on the ground (and Bisping before that).

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Weidman salty he couldn't finish Machida and Rockhold did.

Weidman thinks his Wrestling and BJJ is better than Rockhold's. I disagree. His wrestling and striking is better. But don't end up like Bisping, Machida, et all if you take him down.

You disagree? Really?.The only person that sounds salty..and not just salty but salty as FUCK is you.

Rur0ni

Rockhold and Weidman were going back and forth pretty heavy on the Fox Post Fight Show.

Weidman thinks Rockhold isn't an expert in any discipline...after just choking out Machida on the ground (and Bisping before that).
To be fair, the fight was over after the elbow in the first. Basically submitted a mannequin.

What a great showcase for Paige, Hollaway, and Luke Rockhold tonight.

As to Lyoto, maybe he was slower cuz he's off the stuff that A.Silva got caught for.

grimlock pls

Lol. I didn't take offense. I don't post often to know what his shtick is.

So does Paige get the same rocket Connor got to the top?

I didn't watch the straw weight season of TUF to get a good gauge at the division.

The former TUF champ looked exposed after Joanna Had the lopsided stoppage.

Oh, not to take anything away from Rockhold's grappling but Machida's BJJ has always been suspect. There was a moment in the 1st round where Machida was underneath and he could have gone with a basic deep half guard escape but didn't/couldn't.

Oh, not to take anything away from Rockhold's grappling but Machida's BJJ has always been suspect. There was a moment in the 1st round where Machida was underneath and he could have gone with a basic deep half guard escape but didn't/couldn't.

Wonder what they'll do with Machida? They gave him a lower ranked fighter his last go around prior to Rockhold. Personally, I'd leave him out of the top 7 mix at the moment.

He could fight:
5. Anderson Silva (suspended)
6. Yoel Romero (probably should get attached to another bout with Jacare)
7. Gegard Mousasi
8. Tim Kennedy
9. Thales Leites
10. Michael Bisping
11. CB Dollaway (he just beat him)
12. Costas Philippou
13. Tim Boetsch
14. Brad Tavares
15. Roan Carneiro

A lot of Brazilian BJJ guys have suspect BJJ these days.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
To be fair though.. the differences in fight culture regarding cutting weight plays a role as well.

It's not a "fight culture" difference. More of a straight up "culture" one.

1) To Brazilians, sports are a potential route out of poverty. Whether you make it as a global superstar soccer player or just as a mid-card fighter in Bellator, it's a way to earn a living and to escape the favela.
2) Americans are conditioned from a young age to view sports as a path to college or even as a career. This leads to lots of talented athletes being noticed and groomed from a young age. Then you have the aforementioned "potential route out of poverty" for guys as well.
3) Japanese, and Asian culture as a whole, shits on the idea of being a professional athlete. If you're a kid and you tell your parents you want to be like Yao Ming, Ichiro Suzuki or Ji-sung Park there's a 99% chance of getting your ass kicked back to your math homework. The guys who make it big in those countries are either naturally gifted to the point where they're essentially conscripted into being athletes, or they have to overcome a shitload of odds to do what they want to do. And even then they have to sacrifice a lot.

A guy I trained with in Taiwan now fights in One FC. He gave up a cushy banking job to fight full time. His family almost disowned him and I believe his wife left when he started fighting full time. This is the negativity surrounding leaving mainstream employment in Asia, and until this culture changes these countries will never reach their full potential in creating fantastic, world-class athletes.

Heel

Wonder what they'll do with Machida? They gave him a lower ranked fighter his last go around prior to Rockhold. Personally, I'd leave him out of the top 7 mix at the moment.

He could fight:
7. Gegard Mousasi
8. Tim Kennedy
9. Thales Leites
10. Michael Bisping
12. Costas Philippou
13. Tim Boetsch
14. Brad Tavares
15. Roan Carneiro

Bisping if he loses to Dollaway makes some sense.

industrian

Does Machida have a "black belt" in BJJ or a "black belt from the Noguerias" in BJJ?

A lot of Brazilian BJJ guys have suspect BJJ these days.

I would argue that they're not evolving their standard of BJJ to meet the growing requirements of MMA. Whereas American fighters are.

Does Machida have a "black belt" in BJJ or a "black belt from the Noguerias" in BJJ?

I would argue that they're not evolving their standard of BJJ to meet the growing requirements of MMA. Whereas American fighters are.
Many MMA fighters get promoted in BJJ for their MMA accomplishments and not their BJJ skills. It happens in Brazil and the US.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

White Man went to points with Galvao and beat Anderson and Machida on the feet; he has a different standard for "expert". Impressive victory for Rockhold but the Chris is full of MMA and knows that a fight between them wouldn't play out like that.

As for Machida, I think he still has a number of fights left in him, given his style and the lack of damage he's accumulated (until now; his corner should be thankful Rockhold went for the sub instead of beating him when he was most probably concussed). Sure he looked zombie slow after being ground into dust by Rockhold on the mats, but unless he was injured I don't see how he could have lost too much pep in the few months since he killed Dollar Bills.

Yeah, I don't see him dancing around Weidman for 5. I'm riding with The Chris until the knees fall off. I just like the idea of Luke "100% Fast-Twitch" Rockhold.
I both agree with this post and am still laughing at it.

pixelation

Dang, good card it was... couldn't watch it cuz i went to a prty, will watch the rep tomorrow... glad for Luke though!... but i still favor Wildman in a potential match-up.

Next

That was an impressive win for rockhold no doubt, but weidman is not gonna trip into his main strength like machida did. And he already got smoked by the current challenger in the first round and lost to jacaré too though the judges were feeling charitable towards the american. I don't see luke ever being champion, but maybe that's why he will.

Lazyslob

Banned
im a lil tipsy but Next your post was hard as fuck to read. is it like that when people read my shit since i hardly use punctuation n shit

Dysun

Rockhold was getting tagged on the feet early, but still a damn impressive fight. Can't wait to see him take on The Chris

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo

He could fight:
7. Gegard Mousasi
8. Tim Kennedy
9. Thales Leites
10. Michael Bisping
12. Costas Philippou
13. Tim Boetsch
14. Brad Tavares
15. Roan Carneiro

Machida has 3-4 competitive fights left in him.

Give him Tim Kennedy, Michael Bisping, and Tim Boetsch. He's no longer a title competitor at this state.

Give him Tim Kennedy, Michael Bisping, and Tim Boetsch. He's no longer a title competitor at this state.

With that point, why even stay at MW? If he's supposedly at the tail end of his career, he should be able to fight in the division he prefers. He's going to be an attraction on the card. And at the moment, he's not sniffing the top contenders in MW or LHW.

Machida vs OSP at 205. OSP can be marketed as the next legend killer.

That's not a bad matchup for Machida. No wrestling, no BJJ to worry about and a strike happy dancing party.

Whoever is coaching OSP would have to know that is a terrible match up due to Machida's strengths of spacing, speed, movement and counter striking lol.

industrian

Machida is 6-6 in the last 5 years, with all of those victories coming against has-beens and never-wills. He's been nothing more than a high-level gatekeeper ever since he turned down a rematch with Jones in 2012. If I were him I'd get on the retirement circuit and crush some cans on Brazil cards, as trying to stay "competitive" will just see him used as a stepping stone in progressively worse performances by him.

If I were Casey I'd be more worried about mixing up my enoxaparin and tamoxifen prescriptions rather than climbing a ladder.

Lombard testified that the culprit for his failed test was a pill given to him by a "friend of a friend,"

That damn FOAF strikes again.

Well, at least he and Candy still have the Olympics, where they don't care about steroids.

On March 29, 2015 it reported that Lombard was planning to return to international judo competition with the hopes of competing for Australia in the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

industrian

It's not that the Olympics don't care about steroids.

It's that when you're on an Olympic team you're given the new, cutting-edge shit that isn't banned yet.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
It's not that the Olympics don't care about steroids.

It's that when you're on an Olympic team you're given the new, cutting-edge shit that isn't banned yet.

What you mean spinning blood at 49 thousand miles an hour in a centrifuge and then shooting it with adrenaline straight into your balls isn't natural?

Top Bottom