• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

I've missed a number of them because life™ lately. I love the sport but I kinda miss the time when they spaced these things out more.

Can't say I disagree. I think the perfect amount would be 1 PPV, and 1 Free card per month. That gives us only 24 total events per year, compared to the current 42 events we had in 2016. If they went that route they could ensure every single card was stacked all of the time. Maybe on a few months do 2 free cards and 1 PPV. 30 total events would probably be a nice number

Levito

Banned
Can't say I disagree. I think the perfect amount would be 1 PPV, and 1 Free card per month. That gives us only 24 total events per year, compared to the current 42 events we had in 2016. If they went that route they could ensure every single card was stacked all of the time. Maybe on a few months do 2 free cards and 1 PPV. 30 total events would probably be a nice number

Totally. That'd be so much better, the card would be way more stacked and fans would get a chance to breathe a bit. Like I kinda miss that "Oh shit, UFC is on tonight, I can't wait" feeling when it only happened once a month or so.

Even Bellator feels like they're doing more and more stuff lately. Maybe it's my imagination though.

Jesus Christ these MMA journalists are so damn annoying. Why do they insist on asking Paige every single time she fights "Oh are you leaving, you have SO MANY OPPORTUNITIES!!!"

Embarrassing. The girl has said, and does say she plans on fighting for a long career.

CM vs Sage is the obvious match to make now, right Oblit?

Sage will win that fight but I'm all for it. Get one last PPV payday off of CM and let Sage get a victory. I still think Sage should take a full year away from the cage and do nothing but train though, his ground game is just way way too poor for this level.

On a good note it looks like Michael Chiesa wants to legitimately help Sage, and if Sage was even kind of intelligent or wants to take fighting seriously he should take him up on this offer

@sagenorthcutt Your next fight, I will come train your MMA grappling. Just pay for my flight and expenses. DM me and keep your head up bro.

https://twitter.com/MikeMav22/status/810321160411881472

Also in the WTF picture of the day, apparently Sage is gonna start hanging out with the Diaz bros? Lol this is a brilliant reality show in the making. Let them turn Sage full Heel like he was starting to turn in this fight. Heel Sage is best Sage

Cz7hJszW8AEvMk_.jpg:large

pixelation

Sage will win that fight but I'm all for it. Get one last PPV payday off of CM and let Sage get a victory. I still think Sage should take a full year away from the cage and do nothing but train though, his ground game is just way way too poor for this level.

On a good note it looks like Michael Chiesa wants to legitimately help Sage, and if Sage was even kind of intelligent or wants to take fighting seriously he should take him up on this offer

https://twitter.com/MikeMav22/status/810321160411881472

Also in the WTF picture of the day, apparently Sage is gonna start hanging out with the Diaz bros? Lol this is a brilliant reality show in the making. Let them turn Sage full Heel like he was starting to turn in this fight. Heel Sage is best Sage

Cz7hJszW8AEvMk_.jpg:large

lol!!, i wonder what the Diaz's were saying to him.

Haunted

aw yeah the page n sage show, here we g-

oh...

oh no.

Nah, this was expected, at least Mickey Gall winning on the ground. Guy does have solid wrestling. Dan Hardy call-out is pretty... strange. Doesn't seem like a strong gimmick fight, should've gone and fed Gall another low ranker to build him up and pave a road to legitimacy now that he's a "known" name.

lol!!, i wonder what the Diaz's were saying to him.
Guy in the bottom right is clearly translating for Sage.

Chumley

Banned
Rogan is the ultimate goof. He's trying to defend his previous comments about Ronda being a "once ever" athlete.

Some of the responses are funny as hell. Especially the legit ones that have him moving goal posts from "athlete" to "fighter."

For those unfamiliar with Rogan's love for Ronda...

Rogan's a moron. Also made a bunch of tweets recently about having "no opinion" about Russia hacking the DNC and then posted a bunch of RT articles refuting the CIA and FBI, and retweeted alt-right memes about it.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Rogan's a moron. Also made a bunch of tweets recently about having "no opinion" about Russia hacking the DNC and then posted a bunch of RT articles refuting the CIA and FBI, and retweeted alt-right memes about it.

I think Rogan's starting to lose it. He went from healthy skepticism to unhealthy skepticism in the last year. He used to be able to have people from all walks of life and engage them from a place of curiosity, but lately he's been having crazier people on his podcast. Like when he had that UofT prof Jordan Peterson on. I'm from Toronto, locally, he's a bit of a crackpot, it's painful that the MRA are championing him.

Fox318

If he keeps getting starched by better competition there is no guarantee he's going to improve.
I think hear just getting exposed by his ground game. He was never a wrestler in high school and it's not like he's been doing jiu jitsu for 5 years.

I don't think every single fighter needs to go to Greg Jackson or some mega camp but he clearly needs to go to Renzo Gracie or Erik Paulson type and really focus on his ground game. Wonderboy is a great example of a father son coach team knowing they need some outside help and it showed with his toughness against Woodly.

Honestly I don't know why the UFC is against bringing in more fighters around his level for him to fight. Dude has clearly showed that he is a draw. Not one person last night bought tickets to see Eddie Wineland fight but I'm sure plenty of people shows up because of Sage.

Chumley

Banned
I think Rogan's starting to lose it. He went from healthy skepticism to unhealthy skepticism in the last year. He used to be able to have people from all walks of life and engage them from a place of curiosity, but lately he's been having crazier people on his podcast. Like when he had that UofT prof Jordan Peterson on. I'm from Toronto, locally, he's a bit of a crackpot, it's painful that the MRA are championing him.

Agreed. Used to really like listening to his podcasts but over the last 2-ish years he's lost it, it's telling that if you browse his Reddit, Twitter, or Facebook pages probably 80 percent of the commenters are some brand of Trump supporter or at the very best Bernie or buster.

Not to mention every fight companion now has that absolute nut Eddie Bravo actively peddling things like pizzagate and Sandy Hook hoax conspiracies with Rogan doing nothing to refute him.

He'll always be my go-to person to listen to about anything MMA but that's pretty much it at this point.

SteveWD40

Agreed. Used to really like listening to his podcasts but over the last 2-ish years he's lost it, it's telling that if you browse his Reddit, Twitter, or Facebook pages probably 80 percent of the commenters are some brand of Trump supporter or at the very best Bernie or buster.

Not to mention every fight companion now has that absolute nut Eddie Bravo actively peddling things like pizzagate and Sandy Hook hoax conspiracies with Rogan doing nothing to refute him.

He'll always be my go-to person to listen to about anything MMA but that's pretty much it at this point.

Yup, I love Kevin Smith so tuned in for that one, even Smith was getting pissed with him at points, when he kept describing Hilary using examples of behaviour Trump is known for and Kev was like "we still talking about her?"

Rogan is clearly right leaning, he is buddys with Dana ffs.

Heel

Wanderlei Silva out of the RIZIN tournament match-up against Cro Cop, replaced with King Mo.

Cro Cop said:
I just received a message from Rizin Fighting Federation that Wanderlei "the Braveheart" Silva doesn't want to fight me. He gets scared and he changed his mind, but he know it from the beginning. He played tough guy on the press conference in July and he called me out for a fight. Then I said to myself, this man has a guts, but now we all see what is he made of, nothing but shit. Once he was a fearless and true axe murder but now he's just a scared homie and only thing he can kill is his mosquito. And Wanderlei, don't you dare to come to Saitama to see the tournament like a guest because I will slap you like a bitch just like you deserve, you are nothing but a scared bitch and I had so much respect for you as a fighter until now. I suggest a new name for you that will fit you well... WANDERLEI "THE CHICKEN" SILVA

Shane Carwin also out of the RIZIN tournament, replaced with Heath Herring, who has not fought since 2008.

WNJQX7W.png

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/12/...s-trash-talk-inside-the-cage-at-ufc-on-fox-22

“So what he said was when he stood up from my guard he was like, ‘Get up, get up,’ and he was standing right over me, so I was like, ‘Why don’t you come down? I thought you said you jiu-jitsu is better than mine,’ because he said that in the show. And the when I got up I was like, ‘What? you’re tired?’, and he was like, ‘Nah, I never get tired.’ I got to say, I like Sage with an edge. And when he blackened my eye and then he cut me, he was like, ‘Oh, that was good.’ He was talking some crap, I like that he came out a little bit.”

Lol, Dark Sage.

I hope the Dark Sage Saga begins with him moving to Stockton to become one of the Skrap Pack.

He'll come back smashing dudes with slick boxing and submitting panic wrestlers from his back.

Dark Sage would be a complete and total menace the likes of which have never seen. He'd make the Diaz brothers look like well behaved school children and Krazy Horse like a well-adjusted adult.

Dark Sage's reign of terror would only come to an end when ageing champion Georges St Pierre finally makes his comeback to the UFC octagon as a favour to Sage's loving father.

And after a long and arduous battle, the old and battered champion succeeds in not only beating Dark Sage, but also manages to redeem him through love, understanding, and ol' fashioned asskicking.

It would be at this point Dark Sage would become Ultimate Sage, a warrior with the most well-rounded and fine-tuned game in the sport of MMA. The most dominant champion in UFC history.

Levito

Banned
Wait Heath Herring is fighting? Didn't Brock break his orbital bone and it's way too dangerous for him to fight?

Oh Japan....

I think The Lab in Arizona would be a great fit for Sage. Benson Henderson is a religious dude and the team is full of top notch grapplers like world champion McKenzie Dern, who like Benson, regularly compete in grappling tournaments along with MMA. Plus, Sage's dynamic striking would benefit their team as they don't have anyone explosive like Sage.

Sage is a gold mine though, win or lose. It's no wonder teams and fighters wanna work with this kid. UFC really should sideline him and have him do nothing but grapple for like a year. Heck, make a reality show from it. Follow Sage through training, grappling tournaments, etc. Better yet, throw Paige in there too. Follow the 2 as they train with different teams cross country and do stupid corny reality show shit in between.

brentech

Looking back at that fight, Paige is just too wild. Shes not particularly precise with anything she does. She throws a low of weak kicks that don't carry momentum.
I don't feel like any one part of Paige's game is all that strong. Because of it, Sage should have more of a future, but men's MMA is still far more competitive than women's.
They both still have a future, but I honestly think PVZ has more work to do. They both should probably take one fight a year over the next 2 years while developing their skills. I don't believe in fighters outright disappearing for a couple years.

Fox318

UFC should have just cut Cyborg.

She told them she would make weight. Instead she put on more muscle and threw millions of dollars down the drain.

Now she isn't even the drawing fight with Ronda.

Fox318

Dana, is that you?
  • She was signed specifically to fight Honda.
  • She told them she could make weight.
  • The UFC hired a top teir nutritionist for her.
  • She could have made more money in that 1 fight than all of the fights for the rest of her career combined

but she wanted to look like the fucking hulk and walk around at 190 and powerlift like she was gonna be Eddie Hall.

She can cry all she wants in her weight cuts and beg Ronda to come up to fight her but she was the one that had to lose the weight and extra muscle.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Is there nothing similar to the cut headliners and coheadliners get from PPV cards when it comes to Fox cards?

Levito

Banned
Michelle Waterson only made 15k to show up and 15k to win. jesus christ ufc

-No health insurance
-Paid $30,000 for a main event spot
-Always the potential for a career ending injury
-Lucky if your career lasts 10 years

Come to the world of MMA, where the Billion dollar lead promotion will pay significantly less than what most meter maids make in a year.

-No health insurance
-Paid $30,000 for a main event spot
-Always the potential for a career ending injury
-Lucky if your career lasts 10 years

Come to the world of MMA, where the Billion dollar lead promotion will pay significantly less than what most meter maids make in a year.

THat was her first fight of the year, right? In this new "no sponsors" UFC, I don't see how these guys survive. I have to assume they train or work at gyms during their off time?

brentech

• She was signed specifically to fight Honda.
  • She told them she could make weight.
  • The UFC hired a top teir nutritionist for her.
  • She could have made more money in that 1 fight than all of the fights for the rest of her career combined

but she wanted to look like the fucking hulk and walk around at 190 and powerlift like she was gonna be Eddie Hall.

She can cry all she wants in her weight cuts and beg Ronda to come up to fight her but she was the one that had to lose the weight and extra muscle.
For real. She has even blamed their nutritionist, while her previous guy had her eating 4 grapes and a sliver of salmon.

Complaining when setting yourself up to HAVE to lose at least 30 lbs is complete bullshit.

Cris Cyborg @criscyborg
#thestruggleisreal 175 with a six pack
3:33 AM - 4 Mar 2015

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
That's $30k before taxes. Take taxes out and gym/trainer fees and some of them are better off working at K-mart. #1 promotion in the world in the main event on broadcast tv.

Levito

Banned
THat was her first fight of the year, right? In this new "no sponsors" UFC, I don't see how these guys survive. I have to assume they train or work at gyms during their off time?

Yup this was her first fight since July 12, 2015.

Someone like Waterson could probably host her own classes and whatnot, but that's probably not much money at all either. She's at Jacksonwink so I dunno if they'd pay her to be a sparring partner or something like that.

brentech

I think Waterson was having a documentary made about her over the last year+. I feel like I remember her talking about that sometime a couple months ago.
I have no idea if that does anything for her, but maybe you could learn more about her situation in that.

Undisclosed bonuses guys. They dont want you to know what they truly make.

Conor said he made 25 million dollars for UFC 202. I dont see that number anywhere for a reason...

Undisclosed bonuses guys. They dont want you to know what they truly make.

Conor said he made 25 million dollars for UFC 202. I dont see that number anywhere for a reason...

Yeah, it's a great way to control your employees and underpay them.

No one knows what people are actually making, so Dana can just say he gives out sweet bonuses (which he sometimes does) to hush complainers and keep fighters guessing their actual worth. It's way less expensive than actually dealing with a union, and Dana gets to look like the good guy to fans.

Carny shit.

Top Bottom