• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Cody already proved he's a better and smarter fighter than everyone thought he was. The whole TAM vs TJ thing is gonna be so interesting to see. Joe B and Chad still train with TJ and TJ calls Buckles one of his best friends. Faber has some work to do sorting this shit out.

zewone

Cody said he would rather rematch Cruz than fight TJ.
Dana said he would make the Cruz fight before TJ.

TJ sounds like the only one saying this fight is going to happen.

N° 2048

Where are you hearing that Cruz is getting rematch?

“T.J. Dillashaw said if he doesn’t get the shot, this whole thing is rigged. So I think I’m gonna give the rematch to Dominick Cruz, just to make him right,” White said on the FOX Sports 1 post-fight show. “Dillashaw made it look easy against a tough guy, a scary guy that can knock you out at any moment.

“Dillashaw is a total conspiracy theorist and says nutty stuff all the time, but yes, he’s probably next in line

Immediate rematches sometimes make sense when champs lose, but the Cruz/Cody fight was such a landslide, a direct rematch would be a really tough sell. Dana ain't that dumb. Let Dom fight one or two tune up fights to get his stock back up and the winner of Cody/TJ will be waiting for him.

zewone

I'd rather see TJ vs. Cody.

I'm not a fan of immediate rematches, and I think Cruz needs to work on things. He didn't have much for Cody.

Levito

Banned
I don't know why anyone thinks that Dom rematch would happen before TJ vs Cody. The latter sells itself and the former would be hard to justify, let alone sell.

Cody vs TJ is the fight to make, on every level. Promotion, hype, money, sport, everything.

Dr.Acula

Banned
@tallmaurice

Meryl Streep: MMA IS NOT ART.

MMA fans: https://t.co/COqqSfobxj

tGeJz12.jpg

:dead

209 looking good.

Hope Woodley knocks Wonderboy the fuck out. I like both, but as far this match up is concerned, I'm annoyed the first fight was concluded a draw, and secondly that Wonderboy is acting, in my opinion anyway, entitled as hell. Can't fault Woodley for not liking the guy as far as the fight game goes. He's a good dude and I hope he can get a few money fights in before he retires. He's smart, so I'm sure he'll have done well for himself financially, but only a fool would hate because he wants to secure his children's future. I do wonder how much he made off of 205 though, considering he had points on that.

Nothing says entitled like sitting out 9 (18?) months for a title shot you 'earned' because a guy missed weight.

Woodley has gone on record to state he didn't just refuse to fight, he wasn't offered any fights in the meanwhile. This claim hasn't been refuted by anyone at the UFC or in the MMA media as far as I'm aware.

Truth is, Woodley played it smart and didn't risk a sure thing by taking a fight that could've pushed him out of the title picture if he lost. Ain't nothing entitled about taking the boss man's word for it that you're getting a shot.

That doesn't mean Woodley isn't game as fuck though. Take a look at the man's record, he's fought a who's who of top welterweights and has openly called out whoever. He's game to fight so long he gets paid; after destroying Lawler, he wanted to fight on 202 on just a couple weeks notice, and when that didn't go through (even though Wonderboy was injured) he still defended his title within four months against the guy the vast majority of people thought would run through him, and even then he tried getting on 207, i.e. again within a matter of weeks of his last fight only to be told he has to run it back with Wonderboy first. Woodley is motivated only by money, but he shows up and fight.

Your empathy seems pretty selective there, Rumblebones.

What's your point? I'm a bigger fan of Woodley than I am Wonderboy, and while I think Woodley was an asshole in the lead up to 205, that's twice now Wonderboy has acted like he sets the agenda. Woodley is running from Father Time, not Wonderboy, but despite whooping him at 205, his hands are still tied because the fight was scored a draw. I feel for the dude on that alone, never mind the bullshit abuse and racism he gets thrown his way.

Chumley

Banned
Woodley has gone on record to state he didn't just refuse to fight, he wasn't offered any fights in the meanwhile. This claim hasn't been refuted by anyone at the UFC or in the MMA media as far as I'm aware.

Truth is, Woodley played it smart and didn't risk a sure thing by taking a fight that could've pushed him out of the title picture if he lost. Ain't nothing entitled about taking the boss man's word for it that you're getting a shot.

That doesn't mean Woodley isn't game as fuck though. Take a look at the man's record, he's fought a who's who of top welterweights and has openly called out whoever. He's game to fight so long he gets paid; after destroying Lawler, he wanted to fight on 202 on just a couple weeks notice, and when that didn't go through (even though Wonderboy was injured) he still defended his title within four months against the guy the vast majority of people thought would run through him, and even then he tried getting on 207, i.e. again within a matter of weeks of his last fight only to be told he has to run it back with Wonderboy first. Woodley is motivated only by money, but he shows up and fight.

What's your point? I'm a bigger fan of Woodley than I am Wonderboy, and while I think Woodley was an asshole in the lead up to 205 to Wonderboy, that's twice now Wonderboy has acted like he sets the agenda. Woodley is running from Father Time, not Wonderboy, but despite whooping him at 205, his hands are still tied because the fight was scored a draw. I feel for the dude on that alone, never mind the bullshit abuse and racism he gets thrown his way.

The fight was a draw. Wonderboy is owed an immediate rematch, plain and simple.

iddqd

209 looking good.

Hope Woodley knocks Wonderboy the fuck out. I like both, but as far this match up is concerned, I'm annoyed the first fight was concluded a draw, and secondly that Wonderboy is acting, in my opinion anyway, entitled as hell. Can't fault Woodley for not liking the guy as far as the fight game goes. He's a good dude and I hope he can get a few money fights in before he retires. He's smart, so I'm sure he'll have done well for himself financially, but only a fool would hate because he wants to secure his children's future. I do wonder how much he made off of 205 though, considering he had points on that.

I think you are in the minority with this dubious pick.
Woodley, like Bispin is a champ because of some lucky coincidence and the dark dimension we all seemed to have fallen in.
He was knocked out by Nathan Joel Marquardt and had NOTHING against wet blanket Shields and the pressure of Bellators own Rory MacDonald.

His current Belt (again, like Bispins/ DC) tells me more about the state of the division then it does about its champ.

Chumley

Banned
I think you are not in the minority with this dubious pick.
Woodley, like Bispin is a champ because of some lucky coincidence and the dark dimension we all seemed to have fallen in.
He was knocked out by Nathan Joel Marquardt and had NOTHING against wet blanket Shields and the pressure of Bellators own Rory MacDonald.

His current Belt (again, like Bispins/ DC) tells me more about the state of the division then it does about its champ.

Going to quote this post when Bisping beats Yoel via decision

dream

bang-on, iddqd. Tyrone is going to be viewed as a transitional champ who bridged two epochs simply because of circumstances, not talent.

iddqd

Going to quote this post when Bisping beats Yoel via decision

I have no qualms with that. That would not make Bisping a "great" champ in my eyes.
He was a perfect top 5 gatekeeper that then was game enough to step up AND seize the moment.

Now if he also defends against Jacare/ Rockhold again.. now you are talking.
But I think he smarter and just hangs it up before that. Get that eye fixed and join Cung Lee in the Dolph Lundgren movie biz.

dream

I think we all need to work together to collectively disavow the misguided belief of Romero being a legitimate super fighter. He's really nothing more than an even more jacked up Hector Lombard, and I think we'd all preempt a lot of discomfort by ceasing the worship of this false idol immediately.

Levito

Banned
I think most Romero hype is honestly just because everyone wants to see Bisping get destroyed. That's all it is for me anyway.

The fight was a draw. Wonderboy is owed an immediate rematch, plain and simple.

Bad decisions don't happen.

I think you are in the minority with this dubious pick.

I was also in the minority when I picked Woodley to destroy Lawler and beat the breaks of Wonderboy, so I'm good with that.

Woodley knocked out a desperate Koscheck, stopped Condit, beat an overweight Gastelum and he knocked out Lawler in one. I don't know why some of you continue to sleep on Woodley, but he's not remotely comparable to Bisping as far as I'm concerned as Bisping has folded every time he came up against top competition - with the exceptional of an injured and laughably bordering on cartoonish arrogant Rockhold.

Marquadt was juiced to the fucking gills, and iirc Woodley was winning for the most part). His only two other losses are to Shields, who isn't exactly a scrub either, and Rory, who is arguably still in the top 3 if not top 5 welterweights in the world.

I'm not gonna defend Bisping's belt, but I call bullshit on questioning the legitimacy of DC's championship. DC beat Gustaffson and Rumble convincingly. He's the champ, end of. Jones' screw ups shouldn't be held against him, not when he was willing to sign a waiver and fight a juiced up opponent, who also happens to be the only fighter he has ever lost to.

Levito

Banned
Bad decisions don't happen..

Except it wasn't a bad decision at all, it was an incredibly close fight no matter who you thought "won". It was the right call to make. If either guy won you'd have people on both sides calling bullshit, far moreso than if it had been draw.

Heel

Except it wasn't a bad decision at all, it was an incredibly close fight no matter who you thought "won". It was the right call to make. If either guy won you'd have people on both sides calling bullshit, far more than a draw.

Right. I don't understand how you can fault a fighter for having the audacity to believe he's entitled to a rematch after drawing in a world title fight, especially when the majority of media scored it as such.

Also, not sure how you can look past the personal faults of a fighter you like because he has mouths to feed, and hope he gets some big paydays, but hope his opponent gets 'knocked the fuck out', when he was literally teaching 7 year olds to stick fight a few days before the biggest fight of his life. Every fighter is scratching and clawing to the top for their own reasons in a company that forces you to do so.

Slightly bizarre perspective, Rumblebones. All I'm saying.

Except it wasn't a bad decision at all, it was an incredibly close fight no matter who you thought "won". It was the right call to make. If either guy won you'd have people on both sides calling bullshit, far moreso than if it had been draw.

Even if you gave Wonderboy 2, 3 and 5, Woodley should have gotten a 10-8 for 1 and 4.

Round 4 because it was just a brutal beat down. Round 1 because Wonderboy threw exactly 1 kick before getting taken down and mauled for the remainder of the round. Woodley threw something like 50 shots to Wonderboy's one, dominated top position and landed elbows that cut him while he had his way with him.

That'd give you a 47-46 scoring.

If you watch the fight without commentary like I have, you even have an arguably win in round 3 for Woodley, given champion's benefit as that round was actually pretty close, which is what happened on one of the scorecards.

Then again, it doesn't help that the scoring of the bout was all over the place.
commish3.0.0.JPG

Crosby gave Woodley a 10-8 for round 1, but only a 10-9 for 4, despite the fact 4 was a much worse beatdown than 1.

Cleary gave Woodley a 10-8 for round 4, but, like Trowbridge gave round 1 a 10-9, despite it meeting all the criteria for a 10-8 round, i.e. control, aggression and dominance - and make no mistake, that round was nothing short of one-sided dominance.

Trowbridge did get it right with round 4 being a 10-8 and gave him round 3, which I'd say is fair given how close it was and how the champion's benefit comes into play, so I find it scoring more forgivable overall.

tldr; the scoring in Woodley/Thompson was just a mess. Ask anyone who they'd rather have been in the fight though, and you'd get an overwhelming number of replies saying Woodley - who was never once in any danger and completely neutralised Wonderboy's most dangerous assets. This fight was scored a draw, but it shouldn't have been.

zewone

Stopped Condit is such a stretch and it's sad to see anyone want to rest their hat on that 'win'.

The guy tore his ACL mid-match.

If Woodley was practicing tearing men's ACLs in his camp, then I'd say he won.

Ask anyone who they'd rather have been in the fight though, and you'd get an overwhelming number of replies saying Woodley - who was never once in any danger and completely neutralised Wonderboy's most dangerous assets. This fight was scored a draw, but it shouldn't have been.
It's an MMA fight, not a street fight.

Under MMA scoring, the fight was a clear draw. Round 4 was the only 10-8 round.

Stopped Condit is such a stretch and it's sad to see anyone want to rest their hat on that 'win'.

Condit was first injured by Woodley's takedown. The kick that followed exacerbated the injury.

Doesn't matter how you spin it, Woodley won that fight fair and square.

It's an MMA fight, not a street fight.

Under MMA scoring, the fight was a clear draw. Round 4 was the only 10-8 round.

You continue to miraculously miss the point. Well done. I am not refuting what was scored. I am arguing that the scoring was wrong and that it should have been scored differently.

Only 1 judge scored round 4 a 10-8. That's how off the scoring was. You are proving my point.

"I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert)"

Don't even try to push this shit like that's what I'm doing simply because I disagree with you. It's a well known fact that commentary can often influence perception. It's like when Rogan was screaming his head off over Nate landing flurries on Conor (in round 3 of the rematch I think), even though Conor was slipping most of them or rolling with the punches and barely taking damage. This coming from a Diaz nuthugger who pretty much always roots against Conor.

Rewatching fights without third party influences can afford clarity. I suggest you try it out sometime.

The point is Woodley got lucky circumstances and don't expect him to stay on top.

Please explain.

Levito

Banned
Rewatching fights without third party influences can afford clarity. I suggest you try it out sometime.

I suggest you learn not to consistently resort to needless passive-aggressive condensation if you want your peers to listen to what you actually have to say.

I suggest you learn not to consistently resort to needless passive-aggressive condensation if you want your peers to listen to what you actually have to say.

I suggest you take your own advice. If my posts come across as passive aggressive, I apologise as that was not my intent, but you are hardly the person to call me out when you're making personal comments rather than addressing the argument.

You said there was nothing wrong with the scoring.

I went through the effort of making my argument why it was.

The best you could come up with was some tired bullshit meme to accuse me of arrogance.

If you can't stick to the argument, that's fine, we can agree to disagree and just leave it there. No need to make this shit personal. It's just sports.

Levito

Banned
I don't take any of this discourse personally, friend.

Pretty much how I feel about that too. It's like when Mark Coleman got a victory over Shogun because Shogun broke his arm defending a takedown. These sorts of injuries are accidents more than anything.

The promotion needs to crown a winner though, I get that.

Top Bottom