• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

On the Woodley/Condit controversy:

Woodley landed several hard shots and scored 3 takedowns. It was on the third takedown that Condit was visibly hurt. Rogan picked up on it during the fight, about 50 seconds into the second round. I couldn't find a gif of the takedown with Condit's reaction, but Woodley did say:

"I heard him say ‘ow' when I took him down," said Woodley. "So I thought, I'm going to test him with a left and a right, one of those things is going to hurt."

The ending might have been anticlimatic, but Woodley was winning the fight, caused the injury, and then caused the stoppage.

Denying it was a legit win is like saying a fighter that won by leg kicks didn't actually win - which is what this was. The only difference is that Woodley has a monstrous kick.

Someone tearing their ACL in a takedown is probably one of the shittiest ways to win a fight. Just like Silva v Weidman 2, I don't think breaking a leg on a checked kick is a great way to win

Someone tearing their ACL in a takedown is probably one of the shittiest ways to win a fight. Just like Silva v Weidman 2, I don't think breaking a leg on a checked kick is a great way to win

Why? You check leg kicks to not only nullify the attack but to also damage their shin and make them hesitant to attack you that way again.

Weidman intended to damage Silva's leg. Granted it's not common to have a break like that, but it's not an unexpected result of the technique.

zewone

Why? You check leg kicks to not only nullify the attack but to also damage their shin and make them hesitant to attack you that way again.

Weidman intended to damage Silva's leg. Granted it's not common to have a break like that, but it's not an unexpected result of the technique.

A checked kick at least did what it's meant to do, although I still think freak occurrences don't make for an impressive or entertaining win.

Imagine if Chael would have 'won' his match against Jones due to his broken toe.

Apparently that means Chael was better than Jon.

Levito

Banned
After reading the news today, I'm 100% on Team Ferguson. I'll take all the W's against Russia I can get.

Jokes aside I actually have a feeling Tony is going to win. His defensive wrestling against RDA was really good, plus his height/length advantage on Khabib will make takedowns much tougher.

Neither takedowns nor checks are meant to be a smooth or comfortable experience for the receiving opponent. They're supposed to do them harm, and if that's what happens, the fighter has executed their move effectively effectively.

What it looks like to me is that with Woodley and Weidman in particular, because they beat fan favourites in such unconventional ways, their wins are being called into question for no other reason than that their opponents are liked more. It's a bit silly I think. I bet there'd be no controversy whatsoever if Condit and/or Silva had won their respective fights.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Mark Hunt suing UFC, Dana, and Brock.

The suit, which was filed in Nevada District Court on Tuesday, alleges the defendants "affirmatively circumvented and obstructed fair competition for their own benefit." It accuses the parties of racketeering, which carries the potential weight of treble damages, and fraud, among other allegations. Hunt is seeking financial relief for damages, both physical and to his overall brand.

I wonder how this affects the odds for the Overeem fight.

FUME5

He's in the twilight of his career so he's prepared to burn bridges?

All I know is he has been pissed off about it since the bout.

broz0rs

Hunt's lawsuit reads as if he's going after the Gambino crime family. He has no chance, but his lawyers must be happy they're getting paid.

The fact that UFC exempted themselves from the 4 month fighter return period rule (for the first time ever?) for a fighter that was then popped is not a good look for them. It definitely has the appearance on the surface of collusion.

Definitely, they basically brought in a roided Brock for ratings purposes and figured if he gets popped we'll deal with it then. Cash in now...

Fox318

Crazy thing about Brocks test was he pissed clean for the first 5 tests.

It was only when he started cutting did the sample pop.

Ironically I believe Brock was probably clean for a decent amount of time. He lost a ton of mass and really leaned out compared to what he looked like in Summer of 2015.

There's no doubt in my mind Brock used PEDs to cut weight. Look how beefy he has been in his WWE run compared to all of a sudden being super lean and cut for his UFC return...at 39 years old?

Fox318

The UFC contract wont allow him to ever fight Mayweather outside of the octagon. Its nonsense.

They need to make money and make it now.

It would draw huge but it could kill the drawing power of Conor especially since Floyd's fighting style would make it seem like a work to people.

Right now Floyd isn't a draw. His last fight proved people don't want to watch him run around non contenders for 12 rounds.

Unless Floyd fights GGG, Canelo (because of the Mexico fan base) again, or a freak show fight like Conor or Mickey Rourke he isn't going to draw.

They need to make money and make it now.

It would draw huge but it could kill the drawing power of Conor especially since Floyd's fighting style would make it seem like a work to people.

Right now Floyd isn't a draw. His last fight proved people don't want to watch him run around non contenders for 12 rounds.

Unless Floyd fights GGG, Canelo (because of the Mexico fan base) again, or a freak show fight like Conor or Mickey Rourke he isn't going to draw.

Floyd's drawing power isn't what it was at it's peak, when he was fighting names like Oscar, Manny or Canelo, but he still did 500K buys fighting a complete bum like Andre Berto. Those are numbers every boxer short of Canelo these days would kill for (for reference, Canelo fighting Khan did like 300K) I mean, is GGG even on PPV yet? Floyd has been "retired" for a year but he is still far and away the biggest name in the sport.

zewone

Well, Rogan became stupid about Streep just as quickly as expected, accompanied by yet another shithead who rants about liberals on his podcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J5--Ut0u8Y&t=368s

It blows my mind how he can still claim to not cater to the alt-right. Even blew up at me on Twitter when I brought it up, why not just admit it and own up to it at this point.
What did he say that was off-base?

I don't know how you can be a fan of MMA and be okay with Streep said.

She was definitely talking out of her ass and had no idea what she was talking about.

It sounds like you have some sort of anti-Rogan/anti-conservative agenda.

Levito

Banned
Joe Rogan has had human garbage alt-right poster child Milo Yiannopoulos on his podcast a couple times. So that's all you really need to know about his political alignment.

Why do MMA fans care at all about what Streep said? 10 years ago her and most people that didn't watch Spike TV wouldn't have known what "Mixed Martial Arts" even meant, now they do. Now our sport is made fun of by mainstream celebrities too, hooray! Streep threw football under the bus too and you don't see NFL fans all in a tizzy.

Heel

And let's be honest as people who watch other people punch each other in the face for enjoyment. Would any normal person think MMA is actually artful? I'm with Meryl, as is anyone outside of this oddball world of fandom.

Chumley

Banned
What did he say that was off-base?

I don't know how you can be a fan of MMA and be okay with Streep said.

She was definitely talking out of her ass and had no idea what she was talking about.

It sounds like you have some sort of anti-Rogan/anti-conservative agenda.

She probably should have said the UFC but it was pretty easy to see that's what she meant, it's the most popular application of MMA in modern society and in that context is sports entertainment at it's most barbaric. Rogan can call it art if he wants, it doesn't really matter since the definition is almost infinitely malleable, but equating the art of two people beating the fuck out of eachother with films is absolutely stupid. I'm as big a fan of UFC as anyone and I know that argument does not hold water. This is barbaric sports entertainment, and Rogan calling her latest movie shit that no one cares about and Silva's leg kicks are more important than it just shows he's being a fucking child about it as expected.

zewone

And let's be honest as people who watch other people punch each other in the face for enjoyment. Would any normal person think MMA is actually artful? I'm with Meryl, as is anyone outside of this oddball world of fandom.

How is acting any more of an art than martial arts?

She probably should have said the UFC but it was pretty easy to see that's what she meant, it's the most popular application of MMA in modern society and in that context is sports entertainment at it's most barbaric. Rogan can call it art if he wants, it doesn't really matter since the definition is almost infinitely malleable, but equating the art of two people beating the fuck out of eachother with films is absolutely stupid. I'm as big a fan of UFC as anyone and I know that argument does not hold water. This is barbaric sports entertainment, and Rogan calling her latest movie shit that no one cares about and Silva's leg kicks are more important than it just shows he's being a fucking child about it as expected.

Have you trained in any form of martial arts? There's a lot more to the sport than just punching people in the face. People dedicate their life to perfecting their art form.

Levito

Banned
LOOK AT THIS ART YOU GUYS

lol1.gif

Most of MMA training is learning and perfecting techniques rather than being creative. Maybe it should be called Mixed Martial Arts and Crafts.

Top Bottom