• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Searching "Jon Jones backyard bbq steak" and I get this

VoxR3IN.jpg

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Crisis averted. Jon Jones appears to have upgraded to a grown man grill and animal collection.

http://www.bjpenn.com/hes-back-jon-j...stagram-heavy/

Evidence of his hurt ass grill can't be found. Conspiracy.
Legal team's probably issuing takedown notices. Would any of these instagram postings be admissible as character evidence? Or would re-offending despite moving to New Mexico and having dogs and a BBQ be a bad look?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Since Reebok already dropped JBJ, I'm guessing the only reason Dana and friends suspended him is 1) They know he's legally fucked and going to jail or 2) They really want to get into NY.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Since Reebok already dropped JBJ, I'm guessing the only reason Dana and friends suspended him is 1) They know he's legally fucked and going to jail or 2) They really want to get into NY.

We'll probably never know, but I will bet good money that every action taken against Jones was at the behest of Reebok. As in: they threatened to pull the plug on their UFC deal or something. They'd pushed Jones with their new advertisement strategy, and it's just blown up in their face. I can't imagine how pissed they are with Jones and the UFC right now.

The NY situation makes an interesting backdrop to this, but I don't see that being a major part of this unless there's something they're not telling us. With all things considered, when it comes to the mainstream acceptance of combat sports, having a guy do a hit and run while under the influence isn't as bad as having a wife beater or another violent criminal on the roster.

I think DC will become champ and then Jones will take that away from him. Sad shit.

If the potential jail terms being discussed in the other thread are any indication, DC will probably be retired long before Jones fights in the UFC again.

MjFrancis

I wake up and Jon Jones doesn't have the LHW belt anymore? Wow. I did not expect that. UFC does have more class than most boxing promotions (not that that elevates their prestige all that much).

DC v. Rumble will be a good matchup. I'll vote for Rumble just because I want Rumble 2.0 to be the real deal.

So what kind of jail time is Jones looking at? I would suppose he could get out with something like 30-90 days served without knowing the specific charges at this point.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Josie is the new P4P king

http://www.ufc.com/rankings
Pound-for-Pound
1 Jose Aldo
2 Demetrious Johnson
3 Chris Weidman
4 Cain Velasquez
5 Ronda Rousey
6 TJ Dillashaw
7 Rafael dos Anjos
8 Robbie Lawler
9 Anderson Silva
10 Anthony Pettis
11 Renan Barao
12 Johny Hendricks
13 Fabricio Werdum
14 Vitor Belfort
15 Dominick Cruz *NR

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
How the fuck is Demetrious Johnson higher than Chris Weidman? A guy who is undefeated and beat the former #1 p4p twice, who has beaten multiple former champs while Might Mouse has only beaten cans and unknowns. No, no, nevermind fuck it. P4P arguments are stupid. That list is stupid.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
How the fuck is Demetrious Johnson higher than Chris Weidman? A guy who is undefeated and beat the former #1 p4p twice, who has beaten multiple former champs while Might Mouse has only beaten cans and unknowns. No, no, nevermind fuck it. P4P arguments are stupid. That list is stupid.

Because Joe Rogan says he's the best ever.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Joe Rogan, twitch fibers, xbox sponsorship, alpha brain, onnit, metabolites and dmt.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Two things here.

They can't figure out how to market DJ or the Flyweight divison so they're going to bang on the P4P argument for as long as it takes. I'm surprised he isn't #1 actually.

Also, P4P rankings are pretty much based on how many title defenses each guy has and then a random listing of the previous guy to hold the belt in each division. This goes back to P4P arguments being stupid just like you said.

Dysun

dont you guys remember renan barao and miguel torres, p4p #1 small men in paper thin divisions that need marketing lines

industrian

You know those "best 10 games of <year>" or "best 100 games of all time" lists that get gaming side all wet and flustered? Well P4P is pretty much the same thing. Baseless, groundless, and while its technically possible to create a mathematical formula to gauge who the best P4P fighter is, it's ultimately worthless as nothing will come from it.

Would love to see Khabib as champ and predict he should be eventually but i have doubts he would get the RDA shot in time for year end.

The winner of Cerrone/Khabib is the only game in town for Dos Anjos.

Unless RDA or Cerrone/Khabib gets injured, I'm sure this fight will go down between September-November.

You know those "best 10 games of <year>" or "best 100 games of all time" lists that get gaming side all wet and flustered? Well P4P is pretty much the same thing. Baseless, groundless, and while its technically possible to create a mathematical formula to gauge who the best P4P fighter is, it's ultimately worthless as nothing will come from it.

The winner of Cerrone/Khabib is the only game in town for Dos Anjos.

Unless RDA or Cerrone/Khabib gets injured, I'm sure this fight will go down between September-November.

You just had to post that

industrian

Weidman's next.

The rate at which MMA athletes get injured is ridiculous, i know i'm comparing apples with oranges but, i don't ever recall a Boxing match ever being cancelled due to an injury.

I'm no statistician and I don't have the spare time necessary to crunch the numbers, but I'm pretty sure that the injury rate of high-level MMA is probably the highest for any other high-level tier of any other sport in the world.

Part of this is the "steel sharpens steel, iron forges iron lulz" mentality where a lot of coaches just hammer the fuck out of their athletes in the hopes that they gain a greater understanding of fighting by trading some brain cotton and knee ligaments in the process.

The other is just the fighters themselves doing stupid shit.

Another factor is when a fighter botches his cycle, knows he's going to piss hot for a PED on the night of the fight, so he invents/engineers an injury to keep himself off the event.

Either way, it's pretty damning for the sport's reputation when "Card subject to change" is more a subtitle than small print.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Was the injury rate always this bad? I didn't start watching MMA until 2011, so pretty much all my memories are of injuries messing up cards.

Fighters always got injured training, but there were fewer cards before 2011. Fighters also didn't get paid as much so they were probably more likely to fight with more injuries. For example Tito would routinely fight with broken necks and fractured skulls.

I wouldn't remember cancelled fights from years ago, but I don't remember cards changing a lot due to injuries until the last few years. In fact I don't remember any card that got changed significantly, and back then I'd go to bars to watch with a bunch of friends so a cancelled main event would be a big deal.

industrian

Was the injury rate always this bad? I didn't start watching MMA until 2011, so pretty much all my memories are of injuries messing up cards.

One may argue that the UFC providing universal healthcare coverage (from May 2011) has led to the big jump in injuries being "declared". I believe that before this deal came into effect, a fighter needed to fight in order to get event-related healthcare benefits and they'd fight while injured just to receive those benefits.

That and the UFC has a lot more fighters and has a lot more events than they did back then, and just by having more events means they'll have a greater injury rate. That and 2012 was a ridiculously bad year for injuries, and the increased media attention to "why are there so many injuries right now" has made us look on 2011 and previous years as some sort of injury-free paradise where cards didn't get shot to fuck because a dude got hurt.

MjFrancis

damn donald cerrone might actually get a title shot, was sure khabib would manhandle him
x2

This is the best opportunity Cowboy could have hoped for. Khabib is legit, it would have been an uphill battle, but now the door to LW seems open. It would be great if he could finally get that last shot at the UFC LW title. He's been on the cusp of it so many times now, but always one fight short.

Top Bottom