• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Holy shit Chael said this on facebook.

Aldo hurt his rib, that we know. Is he out? We can only speculate, but why not. Speculation is fun.
Aldo is in on the PPV. He he gets a cut as long as he meets predetermined thresholds. The bad news for Aldo is that he has never met even the minimum threshold and thus has never gotten to participate in a back end bonus. This fight will generate a million buys which would convert to a bonus of roughly 3.5 million dollars. So....
Hurt or not, will he make the walk?
When your injury reports surface on the web, it may not be an issue of Aldo being tough and gutting it out, it may be one an issue of the Commision stepping in and saying "no go." Whoever within his team leaked the training room information to the media, may have just cost Aldo 3.5 million dollars.

So if Aldo is out they'll immediately strip him of the belt and call it an interim title fight, right? Then they can put the pointless and meaningless "champion vs champion" tag on the Aldo McGregor fight when/if it were to be rescheduled sometime in the future.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
So if Aldo is out they'll immediately strip him of the belt and call it an interim title fight, right? Then they can put the pointless and meaningless "champion vs champion" tag on the Aldo McGregor fight when/if it were to be rescheduled sometime in the future.

As much of a joke as the UFC may be, there's no way they make an interim title for a broken rib. Aldo will be back in a month and defended 9 months ago, they'd sooner just reschedule this fight.

Sean

Banned

That's assuming McGregor wins.

Seems like Frankie Edgar is the frontrunner to replace Aldo right now, he'd probably wrestlefuck Conor and derail the hype train.

Aldo and the commission have too much money to lose not to make this fight happen. If Aldo is replaced, the only logical choices are either Edgar or Faber.

inhcik8o7he673dl8d.gif

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 32s32 seconds ago

I'm told, if officially offered, Edgar would say yes to a fight against McGregor on 18 days notice.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Aldo and the commission have too much money to lose not to make this fight happen. If Aldo is replaced, the only logical choices are either Edgar or Faber.

The event still has another title fight in a higher weight class. UFC wouldn't risk McGregor in a fight he can lose when the card can afford to miss the fight altogether. It won't do nearly as well, but they could potentially move the fight to the Brazil card and see if they can do Brock numbers using Rousey and McGregor together, or just put it in the September Las Vegas event that doesn't have any fights yet. Having McGregor on this card and losing to somebody like Edgar or Faber would be far worse than shuffling him to one of the next two pay per views. He either fights Aldo or a can of Alpo if he fights at 189. I could be wrong, but it just seems insane for UFC. I don't doubt everybody else involved would do it, I just think it's a bad idea for the promoter.

iddqd

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 32s32 seconds ago

I'm told, if officially offered, Edgar would say yes to a fight against McGregor on 18 days notice.

Of course he would. I'm sure Mendes is calling Dana 24/7 now.

Connor would be super dumb to take any fight.
Not going to happen

VoxPop

Edgar / Mendes is a nightmare matchup for McGregor. He would be smart not to take those fights. Bermudez or Stephens seems like the way to go. I'm hoping they just move the fight to 190 in Rio or 191 at MGM. Beating Aldo with a broken rib would only taint McGregor's win (if he wins) albeit the instant rematch.

Over/Under on this "fractured rib" being a form of duckery or a drug related issue? Brazilians are notorious for cheating and running from the commission. Not to mention the injury has the perfect timetable for him to go fight in Brazil.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Edgar / Mendes is a nightmare matchup for McGregor. He would be smart not to take those fights. Bermudez or Stephens seems like the way to go. I'm hoping they just move the fight to 190 in Rio or 191 at MGM. Beating Aldo with a broken rib would only taint McGregor's win (if he wins) albeit the instant rematch.

Over/Under on this "fractured rib" being a form of duckery or a drug related issue? Brazilians are notorious for cheating and running from the commission. Not to mention the injury has the perfect timetable for him to go fight in Brazil.

Aldo had people deported to invalidate a drug test recently. I'm not saying anything, I'm just leaving this highly combustible material near that open flame.

Conor isn't stupid. No way he takes a fight against fucking Mendez/Edgar unless he absolutely has to. No need in jumping off the wave.

The good news for the UFC is that the co-main is a title fight so it makes sense if Aldo is injured (especially if it's a rib and can heal in another month or two) to hold Conor back and just wait it out.

scabro

Josie Aldo natty bawdy? Nunca.

Porra Caralho!

When Joe Rogan gets guests like Sam Harris, Dan Carlin, Dr. Rhonda Patrick or even Tim Ferriss on his show, I'll listen. Otherwise it's just not for me.

The first JRE I heard after having guys on this forum recommend it had Kat Von D as the guest. That shit was boring as hell. I didn't try listening to the show for like another year after that. Joe is like an RPG character that earns negative or positive modifiers based on who is sitting across the table from him on any given show. Comedy Joe is not the guy I will listen to for three hours straight, but I could listen to Fitness, Health or Current Events Joe for three hours straight five days a week.

Tinfoil Hat Joe is also alright in small doses.
when he has other comedians its great. especially like burt kreischer/tom segura/diaz

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Aldo/McGregor is supposed to do 1 million buys when an Aldo fight has never done more than 330k and Conor is nothing in the mainstream sense? I never really understood that talk.

scabro

Aldo/McGregor is supposed to do 1 million buys when an Aldo fight has never done more than 330k and Conor is nothing in the mainstream sense? I never really understood that talk.

the 1 million thing has only been said by Dana while promoting the event so...put as much stock into that one as you like.

id be surprised if it did that well, regardless of how good Connor is.

VoxPop

Anderson was routinely pulling in 350Kish buys before hitting 1.1m buys with Sonnen in their rematch. Same with Rashad Rampage. It just takes the right opponent to make it happen. I don't see it outside the realm of possibility but I see it hitting at least 650k buys.

edit

Nate Diaz put this up on twitter but was taken down after probably meaning its bullshit?

@NateDiaz209:
2015-06-24 04:53:39 UTC
I'm fighting Conor Gregor @ufc 189 replacement everybody else was broken or on steroids #madefromglass #uaintpunkingmeirishmotherfuker ��������

While we're on the subject of UFC 190, it's a pretty stacked card:

UrbE3Ns.png

This makes me more sad than happy, holmes.

The Nogs are walking deads by now (Rogerio was expected to be a superfight champion).
Silva? Giant Silva wannabe. I mean Ronda has become our champions because the masses love a beautiful champion that can actually talk.

Its all they had to do...fight and talk...its either one for most guys. So sad.

And our baby boy Shogun...oh Shogun, baby, why did you fight Jon? It all happened there!

Top Bottom