• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Dysun

LyotoMachida.png

Winning until he lost

I kinda feel like this whole Aldo McGregor fight has turned into a lose-lose for McGregor.

If McGregor wins, everybody will pretty much discount it since what did you expect, he beat up a guy with a badly injured rib. Immediate rematch.

If Aldo wins, it means McGregor couldn't even beat a guy with a badly injured rib. Hype train gone.

Heel

Exactly. Great journalism once again from the boys at Vice.

This is an actual editorial from Fightland after Anderson's L. I absolutely treasure it.

The Boredom of Genius

For five years I’ve been a fan of mixed martial arts, and for five years I could count on Anderson Silva being the UFC middleweight champion the same way I could count on the turning of the earth. Anderson Silva, for me, has been the one immutable truth.

This past Saturday, of course, the indestructibility of Anderson Silva went the way of all immutable truths. Eventually time catches up to all myths and shows them for what they are: hopes, delusions, desperate grasps at meaning in a meaningless world. My reaction to Silva losing was far more emotional than I could have imagined because like a little kid dealing with the death of a grandparent I had been raised to trust that the champion’s immutability was someone thing I could believe in forever. It’s a weird thing waking up one morning and realizing that last night's reality no longer exists.

Still, I’m a reasonable guy, and I’d like to think I’m pretty comfortable with the idea that the ground beneath our feet is shaky. But the events of Saturday were so odd, so improbable and full of unanswered questions, that the whole evening feels like a blur. Chris Weidman is the new middleweight champion—that much we know--but the outcome felt like a half-victory. Weidman caught Silva clowning, hands down, chin out, dancing, faking wobbly legs, feigning fear, and no one—not Weidman, not his coaches, not his supporters—could possibly believe that he beat the best version of Anderson Silva. Rather, he beat the absolute worst version: the self-satisfied, cruel, showboating, indifferent Anderson Silva not even Silva's biggest fans can stomach. That lack of a resolution left me feeling unsatisfied at the end of the night, as I suspect it did Chris Weidman, who, no matter how long he wears the belt, will always have a voice in the back of his head nagging him: You didn’t beat the best; he beat himself.

The question, of course, is why. Why did Anderson Silva beat himself? Did he lose his passion for fighting, as some have theorized. Was he fed up with the expectations and responsibilities that come with being a champion—expectations and responsibilities he carried for seven years? Or did he honestly underestimate Weidman? Did he fail to realize that every man, even himself, can get caught on the chin when the stars, the fates, and the other fighter’s gameplan align? Did he believe his own hype?

On Friday I wrote that Anderson Silva is a genius—perhaps the only genius MMA has produced—and that genius should always be witnessed by those lucky enough to be living in its era. But what I didn’t say, and what I wasn’t even thinking about at the time, was that there is a downside to genius that should make our efforts to be witnesses that much more urgent: Genius can grow tired of itself. Michael Jordan took up baseball just to relieve the boredom of being a basketball genius, and I suspect that’s what happened with Anderson Silva: not that he got too cocky (though there’s some of that as well) but that he simply got fed up with being brilliant. For seven years, he existed on a different plan than everyone he came in contact with—faster, stronger, smarter, more technical--and after a certain point even geniuses want to live where everyone else does. Silva looked uninspired, which is the lingering threat hanging over the head of any great artist, particularly one for whom inspiration borders on the spiritual.

Last Saturday night, I think that Anderson Silva tapped into some deeper, subtler, and ultimately more deflating understanding of the universe and wanted to communicate to us that understanding: that there are no answers and there is nothing conclusive in this world: that the myths we believe in and rely on are just myths, castles built on clouds. Maybe he wanted to expose the lie he helped perpetuate—that some things are perfect, ideal, and untouchable. Maybe he wanted us to see that only fools look for assurances in this most elliptical of realities.

FUME5

Machidas karate shit in the promo for this weeks fight is the definition of hokey.

EDIT

Shit Scabro, that avatar gets me every time.

I kinda feel like this whole Aldo McGregor fight has turned into a lose-lose for McGregor.

If McGregor wins, everybody will pretty much discount it since what did you expect, he beat up a guy with a badly injured rib. Immediate rematch.

If Aldo wins, it means McGregor couldn't even beat a guy with a badly injured rib. Hype train gone.
People may discount it but a win is a win. Every w on a fighters record is another step on the winding staircase to glory

TheChits

It’s the very same for Gunnar Nelson. His fight was actually changed while he was asleep. He woke up late that day, I told him he had a new opponent and instead of asking who it was (Brandon Thatch), he just said ‘Oh, okay’ and then went about making his breakfast. I’m very proud of the guys for being like that.
Gunny da gawd

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Gunnar was terrible in that fight. Rick Story has been mediocre since beating Johny Hendricks and this fight was supposed to be purely a stepping stone for Gunnar. IIRC all of the "home team" on that event lost as well.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Smaller cage confirmed for the card this weekend
AU7Amsc.gif

Am I the only one that thinks this is unprofessional and third rate? How does Dana and co expect MMA to be adopted as a serious sport when they change the octagon size at random?

These smaller cages discourage technique and creativity which puts technical fighters like Lyoto at a disadvantage. Disgusted at the UFC appeasing the bloodthirsty human cockfighting crowd. Things like this will forever keep MMA down as nothing but a freak show "sport". Slightly above hot dog eating.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Am I the only one that thinks this is unprofessional and third rate? How does Dana and co expect MMA to be adopted as a serious sport when they change the octagon size at random?

These smaller cages discourage technique and creativity which puts technical fighters like Lyoto at a disadvantage. Disgusted at the UFC appeasing the bloodthirsty human cockfighting crowd. Things like this will forever keep MMA down as nothing but a freak show "sport". Slightly above hot dog eating.

Where do you get off with this shit? ABOVE hot dog eating? How dare you disparage the sport of kings by comparing it to mixed martials?

VoxPop

Conor is now the -135 favorite for this fight. Maybe Yose faked the rib injury to try and avoid the fight or a drug test and is actually in fine fighting shape for the 11th. Yose at plus money seems like a steal.

a) UFC almost always uses the small cage on Fight Nights *

b) The Seminole Hard Rock venue is tiny. Having the large cage there would eat up a lot of seating space.

p28mSOP.jpg

EDIT: * I mean domestically. The foreign fight nights tend to be in larger venues.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Let's play a game: guess how many fighters on the upcoming UFC Fight Night card (main card and prelims) don't have Wikipedia pages.

out of a total of 18. Not bad!

Aldo obliterates our little irish junkyard dog.

I will take Aldo as an underdog anyday of the week for a gazillion of reasons. Everybody that stayed away from all the talk/hype that clouds your judgement can call himself a competent man. I like how everybody seems to forget that Joe Silva is the mastermind behind building fighters. Hes feeding potential stars "quality" guys to make it seem like they crush everybody and fans feed into the hype.

Its a clever and very necessary system. Connor is the new killer machine for beating Brandao and Siver. While Aldo is fucking 25-1 and crushed Mendes x2 and a win over a prime Faber with 9 defenses of the belt.

Conor is now the -135 favorite for this fight. Maybe Yose faked the rib injury to try and avoid the fight or a drug test and is actually in fine fighting shape for the 11th. Yose at plus money seems like a steal.
Yeah could be mind games. Fuck up McGregor's training a bit so he has to prepare for a wrestler.

Eanan

I will take Aldo as an underdog anyday of the week for a gazillion of reasons. Everybody that stayed away from all the talk/hype that clouds your judgement can call himself a competent man. I like how everybody seems to forget that Joe Silva is the mastermind behind building fighters. Hes feeding potential stars "quality" guys to make it seem like they crush everybody and fans feed into the hype.

Its a clever and very necessary system. Connor is the new killer machine for beating Brandao and Siver. While Aldo is fucking 25-1 and crushed Mendes x2 and a win over a prime Faber with 9 defenses of the belt.
Will you never return to this thread if Conor tko's aldo?

Pls m8

Yeah could be mind games. Fuck up McGregor's training a bit so he has to prepare for a wrestler.

McGregor's been training for both anyways. I believe he thinks Aldo is going to try and wear his legs down and try to take him down since many people believe the ground is his weak point.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

I agree with you, friend. This whole deal is reminding me of Chael wrestlefucking like 3 clowns I can't even recall the names of and everyone saying he was a threat to Canderson.

VoxPop

To be fair Conor did make easy work of current top 5 FW Max Holloway and Porier. I really want to see his ground game tested.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
To be fair Conor did make easy work of current top 5 FW Max Holloway and Porier. I really want to see his ground game tested.

You ain't going to remember who the fuck Max Holloway is 3 years from now, friend. This is how MMA-GAF can theory works.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Machida-san is fighting mrpoopypants, eh?

Lyoto Machida vs. Yoel Romero
Santiago Ponzinibbio vs. Lorenz Larkin
Antônio Carlos Júnior vs. Eddie Gordon
Thiago Santos vs. Steve Bossé
Hacran Dias vs. Levan Makashvili
Alex Oliveira vs. Joe Merritt
Leandro Silva vs. Lewis Gonzalez
Steve Montgomery vs. Tony Sims
Danny Martinez vs. Sirwan Kakai

I heard of 3 of them. New record.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Machida-san is fighting mrpoopypants, eh?

I heard of 3 of them. New record.

I keep seeing you say something like this and then think "Bullshit, that can't be possible" but then I realize it's both a fight night card and a card that was supposed to be in Brazil.

My score was 4.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I recognize 5.5

The .5 is because it seems like the UFC has a dozen guys named Oliveira and I'm not sure if this is one I recognize.

I didn't count any if I couldn't at least make a solid guess at the weight class and a fight they've had. I had the same thought about Oliveira, but I couldn't double check because he's one of 8 fighters on this card who don't even have a wikipedia entry.

Dysun

I only know 4 but I couldn't pick Lorenz Larkin out of a picture gallery with a gun to my head

The name is whats familiar

Chamber

love on your sleeve
If I have to match a face to the name, I'm down to just Machida. :(

I thought I could recognize Larkin and Romero but then I googled them and thought, "Nope."

scabro

Lyoto Machida vs. Yoel Romero
Santiago Ponzinibbio vs. Lorenz Larkin
Antônio Carlos Júnior vs. Eddie Gordon
Thiago Santos vs. Steve Bossé
Hacran Dias vs. Levan Makashvili
Alex Oliveira vs. Joe Merritt
Leandro Silva vs. Lewis Gonzalez
Steve Montgomery vs. Tony Sims
Danny Martinez vs. Sirwan Kakai

i got 6 bitches, but am also not sure about Aloe Vera like chamber so 5.5

Looks like Kongo has had enough of this "MMA is a sport" shit.

https://vine.co/v/eJzxii3YrYX
coker has to be handing out scripts at this point lol

Top Bottom