• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Sanchez vs Hendricks will become the main event after Condit and Kampmann pull out due to injury and GSP isn't ready yet.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Sanchez vs Hendricks will become the main event after Condit and Kampmann pull out due to injury and GSP isn't ready yet.

I'm guessing that they'll all get injured (except Condit of course, who will choose to continue hibernating for GSP) and the event will be headlined by Demetrious Johnson's first title defence. The co-main event will also be to determine the flyweight No. 1 contender. All in all another fantastic card for Canada.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hey you can't post fights (especially good ones) without posting predictions about what they will degenerate into after injuries

Vitor Belfort To Face Alan Belcher At UFC 153
becomes
Rumble Johnson Comeback Fight against Kyle Kingsbury

bone_and_sinew

Excellent.
Great fight. I hope this means Weidman vs. Silver, not Weidman vs. Boetsch for #1 contender. Would they have Boetsch sit around for the winner of Bisping/Stann or something?
Nobody cares about Tim Boetsch except for us and only because he posts here.
hey you can't post fights (especially good ones) without posting predictions about what they will degenerate into after injuries

becomes
Rumble Johnson Comeback Fight against Kyle Kingsbury
becomes
Fabio Maldonado's 185 debut vs Luiz Can.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Great fight. I hope this means Weidman vs. Silver, not Weidman vs. Boetsch for #1 contender. Would they have Boetsch sit around for the winner of Bisping/Stann or something?
I think we'll get Weidman vs. winner of Bisping/Stann. Silver seems content to fight once a year at this point so there's enough time to work that out.

Uncle Dana has to know nobody cares about Makler. Silva/Boetsch might be the least marketable middleweight title fight since Silva/Cote.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I think we'll get Weidman vs. winner of Bisping/Stann. Silver seems content to fight once a year at this point so there's enough time to work that out.

Uncle Dana has to know nobody cares about Makler. Silva/Boetsch might be the least marketable middleweight title fight since Silva/Cote.

You forgot about the riveting Leitas Silva bout.

bone_and_sinew

Stann/Bisping winner vs Weidman on one track and Belcher/Vitor winner vs Mak on the other (or vice-versa) would build TWO contenders for Silva.

Heel

Bisping/Stann isn't until late September, but I guess I can see Silver holding up the division long enough to make it a possibility.

Not that I care about makler's MMA career, but he's left as an odd man out in a lot of these scenarios. Curious to see how they work it out. I really hope the missing piece isn't Rich Franklin or something. I'd rather they just keep Chael "Whirling Dervish" Sonnen in the mix if they're going to dig that deep.

Someone legitimate dropping from 205 would be a nice fix.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Bisping/Stann isn't until late September, but I guess I can see Silver holding up the division long enough to make it a possibility.

Not that I care about makler's MMA career, but he's left as an odd man out in a lot of these scenarios. Curious to see how they work it out. I really hope the missing piece isn't Rich Franklin or something. I'd rather they just keep Chael "Whirling Dervish" Sonnen in the mix if they're going to dig that deep.

Someone legitimate dropping from 205 would be a nice fix.

No we need people at 205 :/

Though I know everyone is thinking Rashad, which I guess makes sense and 205 wouldn't really miss him anyway.

industrian

And just like that the Middleweight division gets a crazy roadtrack for the next year:

Weidman is Anderson's next victim. Probably near Christmas or shortly after new year.

Belfort vs. Belcher for No. 1 contender fight.

And I guess we'd have to fit Boetsch vs. Bisping/Stann somewhere in there as well.

And last but not least: Lolbard vs. Cote in a "C'mon son, Cung Le beat this motherfucker" match.

bone_and_sinew

Rashad, Shogoon, and Machida should drop. Chael should go up. Vitor is talking about maybe moving back up in the future, when he can't handle the cut anymore.

industrian

Rashad, Shogoon, and Machida should drop. Chael should go up. Vitor is talking about maybe moving back up in the future, when he can't handle the cut anymore.

I don't think the Middleweight division can handle any more LHW rejects. Outside of the champion, pretty much every single high-level MW is someone who couldn't cut it at LHW.

I wonder what the LHW-to-MW trends will be like once Anderson retires and if/when Jones steps up to HW.

Heel

No we need people at 205 :/

Though I know everyone is thinking Rashad, which I guess makes sense and 205 wouldn't really miss him anyway.

Yeah, 205 lacks contenders but I see no problem with pulling fighters from Bones' graveyard. Most of them have all fought each other as it is.

Machida has mentioned the possibility of dropping, but what's the point? It's not like he'd fight Anderson.

bone_and_sinew

I wonder what the LHW-to-MW trends will be like once Anderson retires and if/when Jones steps up to HW.
Heel said:
Yeah, 205 lacks contenders but I see no problem with pulling fighters from Bones' graveyard. Most of them have all fought each other as it is.

Machida has mentioned the possibility of dropping, but what's the point? It's not like he'd fight Anderson.
Well my suggestion was taking into consideration Anderson fighting for a couple more years and SNK Final boss Bones remaining at 205 for a couple more years and needing new sacrificial lambs. It'll be disarray when both are gone elsewhere.

I also view Machida as Anderson's likeliest succesor at 185.

industrian

Well my suggestion was taking into consideration Anderson fighting for a couple more years and SNK Final boss Bones remaining at 205 for a couple more years and needing new sacrificial lambs. It'll be disarray when both are gone elsewhere.

I also view Machida as Anderson's likeliest succesor at 185.

For all we know Machida is going to destroy Bader and another few marks on his way to living up to the "he's the only man who can beat Jones" tag ... ... ... or more likely that at 34 a run at MW would be worthless unless he's willing to fight Anderson.

LHW is probably the division that needs the most upheaval in the next year. In the last 12 months, lightweight has got stacked, welterweight got shaken up and in recent days even Middleweight has suddenly got 2-3 decent contenders. LHW has nothing solid after Hendo. Gustafsson has the potential but needs another 2-3 tune up fights to be anything other that ragdolled by Jones, Teixeira needs to prove that he's not a Lolbard, and then you have dudes like Bader, Machida, Davis and Shogun who are out in the wilderness.

bone_and_sinew

I thought Machida was a couple years younger than 34 and could wait out Anderson. But it's not like middleweight is full of spring chickens though now that I look at their ages. Other than Weidman (28), Belcher (28), and Rockhold (27 and trapped), everyone else in the top 15 is 31+ years old. But yeah the division at least has somewhere to go in the next couple years.
205, I do not envy Joe Silva's job of trying to come up with someone for Jones after Hendo and maybe Gus (Nedkov? Phil?).

industrian

At this point the only hope for the next year of the LHW division is for Hendo to pull of the upset of the century. But back in reality the only two options I can see for LHW title fights in the near future are Teixeira getting fast-tracked upon beating Rampage and if Bader if he beats Machida.

Is there any indication of Gustafsson fighting again this year?

industrian

Stann deflated the entire room when he talked about "telling a mother why you couldn't bring her son home." I understand that with the questions he's dealt he'll always have to talk about his experience as a soldier, but there's ways around those questions without having to make people feel bad for being fight fans and resorting to something that could easily translate into "you weren't there, man, you weren't there!"

Look at Rory's professional composure when the crippled dude is asking him questions. Stann is desperately trying to hold back laughing at the dude's voice.

He looked hella uncomfortable at the beginning. Almost to say "oh shit, he's talking to me."

And I wouldn't have had as much control as Stann. If I were there I'd have laughed myself off the card.

SteveWD40

Stann deflated the entire room when he talked about "telling a mother why you couldn't bring her son home." I understand that with the questions he's dealt he'll always have to talk about his experience as a soldier, but there's ways around those questions without having to make people feel bad for being fight fans and resorting to something that could easily translate into "you weren't there, man, you weren't there!".

Yup, I like Stann, for all the chest thumping nationalism around him he is actually a really nice guy, but that was a bit excessive, this is fight promotion not a "who's seen worse shit" pissing contest.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Whats a Buddy Roberts?

No, really, who the fuck is buddy Roberts?

7A28N.jpg

TheNatural

My Member!
So I've traded my weekly 80's music obsession to Bobby Brown. I wonder if Reem was listening to Every Little Step when Dana and him talked recently:

Can't sleep at night, I toss and turn
Listenin' for the telephone
But when I get your call, I'm all choked up
Can't believe you called my home
And as a matter of fact, it blows my mind
You would even talk to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0FKzPfsxA4

Okami/Harris was one of the fights I wanted to see this year. 1 down, 5 to go.

5 more months. At least 10 more events. Let's just get through this year.

TheNatural

My Member!
Worst part, on google results his Wiki is higher than the MMA fighters (although his Sherdog profile was top of page).

'Nature Boy' Buddy Rogers is a pretty famous old era wrestler, it would be shocking if some no name MMA fighter was higher than him.

A young Ric Flair was influenced and beat him to take the 'Nature Boy' name and then quoted 'To be the man, you have to BEAT the man.'

King Kong was like a UFC event: a few minutes of cool action in an otherwise tedious 3 hrs. LOTR are a guilty pleasure for me, having grown up loving the books. Did he make District 9? I liked that.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
He turned it down because he wants Anderson. No one else.
Well, fuck him and his presumption. I would have rather fought rednecks, but the Marines didn't send me to Alabama.

Looks like our friend Ninja Scooter was banned for posting a TDKR spoiler. Poor fella.
The TOS here is pretty simple. The capricious gods are capricious. And don't engage the medusa without a mirrored pavise.

What fight are you guys looking forward to the most for the second half of 2012?
GungHo vs Mrs Ho XXIII: The End of Mustang/The Rise of S4.

Stann looks very respectable when listening to people go on about how he's a true American hero.
Stann's an infantry officer. Taking credit is what they do.

Whats a Buddy Roberts?
TheFabulousFreebirds_crop_358x243_display_image.jpg

The one that looks like William Katt.

Top Bottom