• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Well that is ridiculous. I'd rather see Sonnen or Belfort go up to 205 and get an immediate shot than Rua or Vera.

I mean, I guess you could look at it like the Hendo fight was so good it shouldn't count against him, but after the first Jones fight, he really needs to beat someone at the top to get another shot. Not fucking Brandon Vera.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Don't believe that shit. They said the next show would determine who gets the shot. Shogun wins, he gets it. If he loses, Machida/Bader winner gets it.

Heel

And Heel wants to know why Shogun chose Vera over Glover?

It's nice to be right.

iyCTXsL8jFt50.gif

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Well that is ridiculous. I'd rather see Sonnen or Belfort go up to 205 and get an immediate shot than Rua or Vera.

I mean, I guess you could look at it like the Hendo fight was so good it shouldn't count against him, but after the first Jones fight, he really needs to beat someone at the top to get another shot. Not fucking Brandon Vera.

Welcome to the LHW division. There's nobody to fight.

Heel

How do they expect to market this chicken shit? All four of them are thoroughly in Jon's boneyard and we have no reason to believe a rematch would go any differently.

The answer is Gustafsson.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
sounds about Right to me
Who doesn't want to see Hendo Shogun II ?

Seems thats what Danas looking to..

If Hendo wins, and Shogun wins it sets up the biggest Light Heavy Weight rematch of all time..well of 2012 anyways

Or King Mo's suspension is up soon, isn't it?

My friend just saw Bobby Brown with New Edition in concert here. She said he sucked and rambled on and on about his new wife. The rest of NE carried the show.

yacobod

Banned
man the ultimate is totally shit. shogun cant even be bothered to get in shape anymore and we're gifting him a title shot smh.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
How do they expect to market this chicken shit? All four of them are thoroughly in Jon's boneyard and we have no reason to believe a rematch would go any differently.

The answer is Gustafsson.

Gus is a fraud. He wouldn't be anywhere near the discussion if he didn't have similar physical dimensions to JBJ.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Gus needs one more good win before titleshot, if he could beat someone like Rashad I'd be happy at him getting the next nod

Heel

I'd even take Glover if (when) he beats Rampage over these rematches. Believing they'd turn out any differently is a jump in logic or pure fanboyism. I'm not saying Gus or Glover have a better chance, but let's at least see something new.

Rumor has it Mur Vs Cormier!
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/mma/story/2012-07-25/Mir-moves-to-Strikeforce-for-now/56492782/1

Its Usatoday..is that a legit paper?]

LOL all the fun fights are happening on Strikeforce..thats greats! at least Dana's willing to let someone move over to finish out the cormier contract then get him over to UFC

Edit: somewhere Big Timmy's crying himself to sleep.

I can fuck with this.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/mma/story/2012-07-25/Mir-moves-to-Strikeforce-for-now/56492782/1

LOL all the fun fights are happening on Strikeforce..thats greats! at least Dana's willing to let someone move over to finish out the cormier contract then get him over to UFC

Yes, USA Today is legit. Mr. Murr must be getting a hefty payday to drop down to the minor leagues, or a rematch with JDS.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
The only way that would interest me to see Machida, Shogun, Bader, and Vera in a cage with Bones again is in a Fatal 5-way match.

sounds like its a one fight thing..this is last Showtime Fight for Cormier before moving over to UFC
Oh ok. I'm confused about the SF contract. Dana said recently that any SF fighter right now would have to wait till the Showtime contract is up before they can move to UFC, which would be in a year and a half or something. But he was being super weaselly in that scrum so I dunno.

Dwayne

Oh ok. I'm confused about the SF contract. Dana said recently that any SF fighter right now would have to wait till the Showtime contract is up before they can move to UFC, which would be in a year and a half or something. But he was being super weaselly in that scrum so I dunno.

They dissolved the HW division in Strikeforce, and the HW's came to UFC. Only the winner(?) of the HW tournament had to fight one more time in SF, so here it is.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

I'm pretty sure that this is a complete twist of Dana's quote:

"I'm expecting all of these guys to go all-out to prove why they should be next in line for a title shot."

Nothing concrete. Nothing "<fighter> will get title shot." Just a vague "I hope that we don't have a repeat of UFC 149" remark.

Regardless, having guys like Rua or Vera getting a title shot directly after UFC on Fox 4 would make Machida's 1-win-in-3-matches title shot look legit.

I'd rather watch Bobby Brown vs Whitney's corpse ...

Funnily enough, you can watch that on Youtube right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BeepPMIDpo

Heel

It'll be just like the Mir vs JDS fight only Cormier has even better wrestling/takedown defense
and possibly better standup?!?!?

Yeah, this is not a good style match up for Frank. He will be gorging on boysenberries for 25 full minutes, and perhaps even get a return visit from the ghost of Mandalay.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Yeah, this is not a good style match up for Frank. He will be gorging on boysenberries for 25 full minutes, and perhaps even get a return visit from the ghost of Mandalay.

Friend heel the big 2 is on. Marvel finals coming up. Get in on this mang.

industrian

Frank Mir is the face of UFC's heavyweight division, and with him not being a viable title contender for some time (if at all ever again) this makes a lot of sense.

I don't care about the circumstances. Seeing Frank in a Strikefarce cage is going to break my heart.
What about Frank Mir losing in a Strikefarce cage, friend? What about that? I might have to buy a ticket to this one.

Mir needs to get paid for this one. There's no other way to spin this around as a step down for him. The funny thing being that Mir vs. Cormier is a fight that I'm pretty sure everyone can agree on will be great, and on a UFC card it would be hyped to hell and back - it's just dat Strikeforce Aura.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm pretty sure that this is a complete twist of Dana's quote:

"I'm expecting all of these guys to go all-out to prove why they should be next in line for a title shot."

I think that's right. Just something to hype up this pointless fight. Dana has backed away from far more concrete statements in the past anyway. Although if Hendo wins and Shogun dominates that's certainly marketable. Any other title shot coming out of that fight though would be a complete joke.

They dissolved the HW division in Strikeforce, and the HW's came to UFC. Only the winner(?) of the HW tournament had to fight one more time in SF, so here it is.
Oh right, I forgot about that because Barnett and Sergei didn't make it over and I really wanted to see them in UFC.

industrian

Oh right, I forgot about that because Barnett and Sergei didn't make it over and I really wanted to see them in UFC.

IIRC Sergei was cut after losing to Barnett.

And speaking of Barnett, isn't he contractually obligated for one more SF fight? I can't see the UFC welcoming him back any time soon, so I think he'll be making the rounds at SFL and ONE FC shortly.

SteveWD40

Mir in SF seems to be a direct answer to the call that they were leaving it do die now they poached the fighters they wanted, the last card Tim Kennedy was actually vocal about it at the press conference, that there was no coverage at all (he also went on an ill advised rant about how he could clean out the UFC MW division...).

dabig2

No way should the Shogun/Vera be a title contender match nor should the Machida/Bader be one as well.

I hope after JBJ retires Hendo, he moves up to HW for the year to allow the LHW division to sort itself out into something that makes a little more sense.

industrian

No way should the Shogun/Vera be a title contender match nor should the Machida/Bader be one as well.

I hope after JBJ retires Hendo, he moves up to HW for the year to allow the LHW division to sort itself out into something that makes a little more sense.

I don't see Hendo retiring when he gets beat. I think he's adamant about getting a UFC belt before he calls it a day. If anything he'll cut down to MW, fight a dude like Bisping to cement himself as a contender and then get a second shot at Anderson.

As for Jones temporarily moving to HW... I guess that temporarily switching weight classes worked for Anderson, but what if Jones gets tooled at HW? Very few things would cheapen the LHW title more than that. I'm sure that Dana would force Jones to become a permanent HW if he decided to make that move.

I see Teixeira getting a title shot if he beats Rampage as he's the only one on a significant win streak and beating Rampage would make him a name. If Bader beats Machida I see him fighting Gus to be No. 1 contender.

SteveWD40

I don't see Hendo retiring when he gets beat. I think he's adamant about getting a UFC belt before he calls it a day. If anything he'll cut down to MW, fight a dude like Bisping to cement himself as a contender and then get a second shot at Anderson.

If Bisping was willing to take that fight again he would deserve anyones respect, plus it wouldn't prove anything at MW for Hendo, re-match a guy he nearly killed a few years ago? Vitor, Franklin or Weidman would be better fights for him.

Top Bottom