• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

0085_9nbxq.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd2pSLFjOas

LOL wow its everywhere.

Heel

Friends I just realised right now we are only 5000 posts away from OT4. I believe brainstorming time and building on a new theme is upon us.

We should start OT4 and OT5 at the same time and divide our best posters between them. Our hardcore fans will read both and our casual fans will stop caring.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Luiz Cane's been released.

Also they're planning UFC 156 for Brazil with Aldo vs. Edgar on the 19 January.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/10/...door-on-lesnar-vs-fedor-says-both-are-retired

"He's done," White said regarding Lesnar, who is currently working on a very limited schedule as a pro wrestler with World Wrestling Entertainment. "He called me a couple of days ago. He's never coming back. His body can't take it. He said he can wrestle, but he can't fight. He was contemplating coming back."

But said it's now a dead deal as far as Emelianenko, the biggest MMA star to never come to the UFC.

"They're both retired," he said.
Oh shit, that's awesome. We might see this fight next year.

Karate Kid fence fight is the shit. I want that badass skeleton costume for Halloween. Too bad all the skeleton costumes are shit. I need those white gloves and white hood because that is the perfect. I would get mad women if I had that shit on this weekend.

Yes I am drunk. And I just realized that Daniel moved to Reseda.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
"He's done," White said regarding Lesnar, who is currently working on a very limited schedule as a pro wrestler with World Wrestling Entertainment. "He called me a couple of days ago. He's never coming back. His body can't take it. He said he can wrestle, but he can't fight. He was contemplating coming back."

So... what has changed exactly?

dream

WHITE: UFC WOMEN'S DIVISION IN THE WORKS

Dana White, always standing by his word...

In what would sound like another hint of the potential demise of Strikeforce, Dana White, in an interview on 10/16 with Sports Illustrated, said regarding women fighting in UFC that, “It’s absolutely going to happen.”

White would not give a time frame regarding the move, only saying it “could happen tomorrow, it could happen a year from now.”

After the story was published, White told Ariel Helwani that he didn’t think it was a story and it’s nothing new that he hasn’t been saying all along. The problem is everything is contingent on the Strikeforce and Showtime negotiations for renewal of their television deal that expires within the next six months.

Almost all the key women, notably Ronda Rousey are exclusive to Strikeforce and can’t appear as long as the relationship between the two sides are in place. In theory, Showtime could give up a Rousey vs. Cris Cyborg fight to UFC as a one-time attraction with the idea the publicity would be so much they’d give up a rating to have the rights to future fights with both women, being bigger stars. That also sounds good in theory but isn’t likely to happen, as Showtime is unlikely to see themselves as the vehicle that first exposed Rousey on her way up and then didn’t get rights to her biggest fight.

The key is UFC would not start a women’s division without Rousey.

The contract with Strikeforce would not allow Rousey, or any of the women under contract to Strikeforce which include her top potential opponents like Cyborg, Miesha Tate, Sara McMann, Liz Carmouche or Sarah Kaufman, to be on a UFC show unless the relationship ends.

The Showtime contract does expire early next year. While nobody has said anything publicly, a number of insiders have indicated to us that they think it’s less than 50% that a new deal will be signed. However, that was also the case a year ago, when it looked like the continuation of the deal was dead, only to have both sides work things out.

If the relationship ends, Strikeforce will end, and UFC will pick up if not all, at least the key Strikeforce contracts. Rousey has three fights left on her deal, but that would be a moot point.

We don’t have a date on the contract expiration, but Cyborg’s suspension for a positive drug test for Stanazolol ends on 12/17. Cyborg vs. Rousey would be either the biggest or second biggest woman’s fight in MMA history. If it was held in a UFC cage, it would likely be the biggest woman’s fight of our generation since the Christy Martin vs. Lucia Rijker boxing match never took place.

Rousey would be due a fight in January, since her last fight was on 8/18. There is no other obvious opponent. Tate earned a rematch with her win over Julie Kedzie, but has said she won’t take it because she doesn’t mentally think she’s ready. There was scheduled to be a McMann vs. Carmouche fight on 10/3 in Oklahoma City, but that fell apart when McMann was injured. McMann has never fought on a national television stage, but did win a silver medal in the 2004 Olympics in wrestling, so it would be an easy promotion to have Olympic medalist vs. Olympic medalist.

If the Showtime/Zuffa relationship ends and Strikeforce goes down, one source noted that the earliest Rousey would likely be able to appear, depending on a few dates that haven’t been determined, may be the 4/27 Jon Jones vs. Chael Sonnen show earmarked for New Jersey. Timing wise, that would enable her to still fight in January. Fighting in February, as it is expected there will be another event on Showtime whether the contract is renewed or not, would delay a UFC debut. A decision could also be made not to risk her losing and keep her out until either a deal is signed or not signed. The big money fight would be with Cyborg and it would be significantly bigger held on a UFC PPV event. However, Showtime is going to want that fight before its deal expires, so there are a lot of political games that are going to be in place.

Regarding Strikeforce, the current working idea is to have a blow-out show in late January. Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said they hoped to headline with Daniel Cormier, Gilbert Melendez (vs. Pat Healy) and Luke Rockhold (against either Lorenz Larkin or Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza according to what Rockhold has been told).

Coker said they may also have both Rousey and or/Nate Marquardt defend their titles as well. Melendez and Rockhold are both still iffy. Melendez’s shoulder has gotten better particularly in the last week. He expects it to be good enough by late November that he can start hard training, but it depends on the healing process. Rockhold’s situation is similar. He has a torn ligament in his wrist, and he thinks it’s better than 50% he’ll be able to start hard training by late November, but if he can’t go hard by eight or nine weeks out from fight time, he won’t be ready. There are no hints at an opponent for Cormier, other than Pat Barry is off the table since he’s expected to fight Shane Del Rosario on the 12/15 UFC show in Las Vegas.

The Strikeforce/Zuffa/Showtime deal expires sometime within the next six to eight months and there are ongoing talks about renewing it according to Coker. But a lot of people see the two straight cancellations as a bad sign, with the feeling Showtime would have never canceled the second show if they had long-term plans for the brand.

Several insiders have said they believe the deal won’t be renewed, but Showtime does still want MMA on the station because they think it brings them subscribers and it draws good ratings. But without Zuffa supplying, it’s going to be tough to get quality talent since almost everyone top level is under contract to them. There are obvious reasons both would want to keep the relationship, since unlike UFC, ratings have been above expectations with the last three shows doing between a 1.25 and 1.43 rating, and Rousey seemingly growing in popularity.

But one person close to the situation also described it from Showtime’s position as dating a really pretty girl, and that no matter how good she looks, if all you do is fight, at some point you just have to break up.

Strikeforce was formed by Coker in 1992 as a kickboxing promotion that taped events in San Jose for ESPN 2. Coker, a martial artist dating back to childhood, had worked in promoting local kickboxing shows in San Jose starting in 1985. In 2006, Coker moved from kickboxing to running MMA events once MMA became legal in California. His first event, headlined by Frank Shamrock vs. Cesar Gracie, drew a sellout of 18,265 fans and 17,465 paid to the HP Pavilion in San Jose. The latter is still the largest paid attendance for an MMA event in the United States. In March 2011, almost five years to the day of that show, Silicon Valley Sports, the parent company, which owns both the HP Pavilion and the San Jose Sharks, sold Strikeforce to Zuffa due to losses in spending heavily on big name talent in an attempt to compete with UFC.

After the sale, three separate contract deals wound up with the biggest names on the roster, Dan Henderson, Nick Diaz and Alistair Overeem out of Strikeforce and in UFC. The biggest name, Fedor Emelianenko, was not retained due to the size of his contract and because he had lost consecutive fights to Antonio Silva and Henderson. Some have speculated that it was the size of the Emelianenko contact that was among the reasons Silicon Valley Sports was looking to divest themselves of the company.

At that point, as a condition to Showtime continuing to broadcast Strikeforce events, which would keep opposition off the station, Zuffa agreed that every fighter at that point under contract to Strikeforce except the heavyweights, would be exclusive to Showtime and could not be signed and moved to UFC, even if their own individual fighting contracts with Strikeforce expired. The deal also moved all the heavyweights to UFC after the Grand Prix tournament ended, with the exception of the winner fighting one more time.

Cormier, the surprise winner, since he was not even in the original eight-man field and came in as a replacement for Overeem, is scheduled for that final fight in January, since he suffered a broken hand in his win over Josh Barnett which delayed his fight. He was originally expected to fight in September in Sacramento, but rather than put Overeem and Gilbert Melendez on the same show, the decision was made to move Cormier to 11/3 in Oklahoma City. Then that event was canceled when his scheduled opponent, Frank Mir, pulled out with a knee injury, and the other scheduled main event, with Rockhold vs. Larkin, fell apart due to Rockhold suffering a ligament tear in his wrist.

Numbers for UFC 153 on 10/13 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil are coming in between 340,000 and 410,000 buys. It’s the best numbers for a UFC show from Brazil, and came with a thrown together main event of Anderson Silva vs. Stephan Bonnar, which wound up outdrawing a number of Silva’s title matches over the years. The number is probably double if not more what the original Jose Aldo Jr. vs. Erik Koch main event would have done (although I’m certain the cost of the match was significantly higher as well) and significantly higher than what Aldo Jr. would have done with Frankie Edgar.

Tito Ortiz and Frank Shamrock, who had one of the great fights in UFC history in 1999, and became friendly after, were together at Scott Coker’s annual charity golf event in San Jose talking about their health problems in retirement. Shamrock, who became an avid golfer after retiring, has his back so out of whack that right now he can’t golf and is having a back fusion surgery on 12/12. That actually dates back to an injury as a teenager playing basketball, because at 15 he was told he would never play sports again. He went through his career with it. When he recovers from that, he’s getting neck fusion surgery in April. That’s from a 1996 fight with Yuki Kondo where Kondo knocked him out with a high kick that knocked him out of the ring and he landed on his head on the floor. He also worsened it taking some bad throws over the course of his career. Ortiz is going to have his second neck fusion surgery shortly.

Tom Wright said that the company right now is planning four shows in Canada in 2013 and five in 2014. The plans for both years have Montreal in March and Toronto in September. He said some of the other locations would surprise people. The UFC has still never run in Winnipeg or Halifax, which have both been cities of high product interest. UFC has also never run Edmonton, although they did run a WEC show there in 2010.

Ed Soares, best known as the manager of Anderson Silva, has started his own promotion called the Resurrection Fighting Alliance (RFA) and they purchased or merged with Titan Fighting Championships. Essentially it appears Titan, which ran Kansas City, is done, but the deal gives RFA the TV deal with AXS and they debut on 11/2 in Las Vegas with Tyson Griffin vs. Efrain Escudero in the main event.

FACE

Banned
So im playing Dishonored and one thing really irritates me. I hate blinking behind guards and getting no prompts to take them down. That shit is annoying when you're trying to be stealthy.

I just stabbed them.

Edit: Occasionally I blinked above them and did the drop kill thingy.

I just got Lollipop Chainsaw on the cheap and it is some of the most fun I have had with a videa geam in years. Asuras Wrath is a fun romp as well.

ShaneB

So im playing Dishonored and one thing really irritates me. I hate blinking behind guards and getting no prompts to take them down. That shit is annoying when you're trying to be stealthy.

Stealth?! Be a man, and chop their heads off! Like so...

iFJMohYlQncL9.gif

From the wonderfully fun Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Rats are useful for disposing bodies.

I upgraded all my important shit to max right away so i dont have any of the supplementary powers.

Stealth?! Be a man, and chop their heads off! Like so...

iFJMohYlQncL9.gif

From the wonderfully fun Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.

Chopping their heads off is fun but you ARE supposed to be playing the role of an assassin Douglas.

Top Bottom