• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Heel

Do any of you think the UFC will take this as a cue to be a little more conservative in their booking approach and stop spreading their roster so thin across so many events?

Is that even possible or are they obligated contractually to this obscene amount of events?

gd8BA.jpg

iloXUmLplYJns.gif

dream

dream, friend, would you consider yourself a fan of the Mixed Martials at this point? I can't help but notice you rarely extend yourself beyond "Who the fuck is ____?" and Wrassle GAF inspired doom and gloom. What's the deal? I think we're all well aware of your unhappiness with the sport at this point.

Also, Whale Trail...most embarrassing soundscape I've ever experienced. My God.

nevermind fuck this sport.

I will address both your points:

1) Yes, I am a fan of Ultimate Fighting. When it's at its best, it's awesome. Unfortunately, we are getting something significantly less than that and I'm enough of a rube to pay hundreds of dollars to watch talents like Jason Kennedy and Tim Ring and Todd Miller and Ryan Micovic.

2) Whale Trail was so good before they freemiumed it. ):

Heel

I will address both your points:

1) Yes, I am a fan of Ultimate Fighting. When it's at its best, it's awesome. Unfortunately, we are getting something significantly less than that and I'm enough of a rube to pay hundreds of dollars to watch talents like Jason Kennedy and Tim Ring and Todd Miller and Ryan Micovic.

2) Whale Trail was so good before they freemiumed it. ):

...but I like Ryan Micovic. :(

What's changed in Whale Trail exactly? I'm not seeing the appeal in its current form at all.

Heel

Ah, yeah, and charging up its stats would take a hell of a lot longer than I have patience for. What a shame.

Gonna give this Monsters Ate My Condo a try.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
So what's Ultimate missing that WWE has that keeps viewers tuning in every week to see the same guys warring again and again. Personalities, stories.... consistent stars??

Nameless

The next 7 main events in the Ultimate:

Demetrious Johnson vs Ian McCall
Lay Praynard vs Lay Guida
Wandy vs Rich Franklin
Andy vs Chael
Mark Muñoz vs. Chris Weidman
José Aldo vs Erik Koch
Shogun vs Vera

0001_unbo.gif

Johnson v McCall-Free TV, who cares, hope for a good fight
Maynard v Guida - Free TV, who cares, hope for a good fight
Ax Murderer v Franklin - injuries suck, but this will be a good brawl if nothing else..plus it saves Vitor for Chael if he does the impossible
Spider v Chael - Legendary
Munoz v Chris Weidman - Free TV, who cares, hope for a good fight
Aldo v Koch - Could be an amazing fight if Koch's chin holds up.
Shogun v Vera - free TV, who cares, enjoying seeing Vera get sacrificed as a blood offering to Shogun.

I see no room to bitch here. 4 out of 7 are free, one is 1 of the 3 biggest fights the company could book, and the other two may not be huge draws but both have the potential to be exciting fights.

JimiNutz

Banned
Do any of you think the UFC will take this as a cue to be a little more conservative in their booking approach and stop spreading their roster so thin across so many events?

Is that even possible or are they obligated contractually to this obscene amount of events?
I know I never post in this thread so my opinion will not be listened to but...

Would the answer be maybe a highlight show rather than so many live cards?

I don't know what it's like in the US, but in the UK our number one sport (soccer/football) shows all of the big games live and the rest of the matches are then shown in highlight form on a Sat evening.

Rather than using names like Franklin and Wand to headline shitty cards they should be sticking all of these guys on the PPV cards (years ago a fight like this wouldn't even have been a co main event).
They should then stick all of the TUFers and up and coming prospects on cards that do not air live. Hand pick the best fights off these cards to be shown in their entirety on a weekly highlight show and cut highlights for all the other not so interesting fights. That way FX, Fuel or whoever get a guaranteed explosive action packed 90 mins of MMA. You save ALL of your big names for stacked PPV or Fox cards rather than using B list fighters and fighters past their prime to try and salvage no name cards.

Do people care that much about these C and D list fighters that we have to watch them live?
Why not recognise that not every fight needs to appear on a live card. Save the big names for stacked PPVs and stick all the rest on cards that you then turn into a weekly/bi-weekly highlight show?

The next 7 main events in the Ultimate:

Demetrious Johnson vs Ian McCall
Lay Praynard vs Lay Guida
Wandy vs Rich Franklin
Andy vs Chael
Mark Muñoz vs. Chris Weidman
José Aldo vs Erik Koch
Shogun vs Vera

0001_unbo.gif

And you're mad about this? Other than Wandy vs Franklin (which should still be decent) those are all slobberknocker, awesome fights.

EDIT: Looks like Lombard is being matched up with Tim Boetsch

yacobod

Banned
Demetrious Johnson vs Ian McCall - 125# Crao
Lay Praynard vs Lay Guida - Should be a good fight.
Wandy vs Rich Franklin - Irrelevant short notice fight. Hope for a decent scrap.
Andy vs Chael - Chael gonna shock the world. Excited for this.
Mark Muñoz vs. Chris Weidman - Can't say I'm excited about either guy, but looked like shit in their last fights.
José Aldo vs Erik Koch - Another sacrificial lamb for Aldo.
Shogun vs Vera - Crappy fight. Remember when Vera was hyped as a 2 weight class division star? Me neither.

what a disastrous string of cards for the ultimate.

ShaneB

News of another injury? HAH!

My Royal Rumble idea makes more and more sense every day.

Anyway, shit is nonsense. Book less events, stack em to shit with like 20 fights, and by the time they arrive the shit should be weeded out for a full event.

MjFrancis

By the looks of his face, it should have been. Was it right before the bell in the third or something?

I seem to remember the other guy pounding the shit out of his face while he was cowering and facing down.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
You don't remember the bongo drums?

The entire fight was Thiago Silva just taking the piss out of Vera. The irony of him using a urine adulterant was just the cherry on top.

MjFrancis

I remember it now, because I was like "he's playing drums on the guy's back, stop the fucking fight already!" Like any good sports fan who yells at his television.

Good times. Forgot that went all the way with zero stoppage.

for shogun's health and well being i hope he never fights JBJ again.

I can never understand MMA fans. The same fans screaming for a Cain vs JDS rematch are the same fans that are turned off by a Shogun vs Jones rematch. At least Shogun didn't lose in 64 seconds on national television.

yacobod

Banned
I can never understand MMA fans. The same fans screaming for a Cain vs JDS rematch are the same fans that are turned off by a Shogun vs Jones rematch. At least Shogun didn't lose in 64 seconds on national television.

well you could at least make an argument that can was caught by a lucky punch and dispatched before he had a chance to fight. shogun got systematically destroyed for 15 minutes.

I'd rather get fucked up in 64 seconds than be systematically destroyed & humiliated over the course of 12 minutes.

i feel like we were reading each other's mind friend.

it's not an apples to oranges really.

don't get me wrong i'm a fan of shogun, but he's only looked good in 3 out of his 8 ultimate fights. machida x 2 and versus chuck, in the other matches he's either been coming off an injury or he looks really out of shape. it's obvious that he doesn't take fighting very seriously.

ShaneB

I get confused in this thread easily. I never know when people are serious or joking.

If Jones hadn't landed that flying knee in the first few seconds of the fight...I dunno, hard to say but Shogun was out of it before it started.

I get confused in this thread easily. I never know when people are serious or joking.
If I agree, they're serious, if not, they're joking.

Cain did not get caught by a lucky punch. It was bound to happen as he stood with the best boxer in MMA. That was pure destruction and was bound to happen. Lucky my ass. Shogun did get destroyed but thats normal when he has a long layoff. He clearly was not the Shogun that showed up and destroyed Ryu in their 2nd fight. I am not saying Shogun would beat Jones at all, I am just saying that he sucks when he has a long layoff. Shogun didn't tap to strikes, the fight was stopped way before his hand was hitting the ground. Hendo put on a bigger ass whooping than Jones did IMO.

Heel

So, what does Shogun have to gain from fighting Brandon Vera? I mean, why would he ever take such a fight? Has he earned it? Just curious.

ibmNC9n71aWkAT.gif

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
don't get me wrong i'm a fan of shogun, but he's only looked good in 3 out of his 8 ultimate fights. machida x 2 and versus chuck, in the other matches he's either been coming off an injury or he looks really out of shape. it's obvious that he doesn't take fighting very seriously.

I will give Shogun one thing, he's extremely durable. When he wants to fight then he comes out like a man on fire, but when he's unmotivated then he just looks like a dog who's just had his balls cut off.

And please don't spin the old "he fought after a long layoff" and/or "if only Jones didn't knee him" stuff. He was annihilated. Pure and simple.

MjFrancis

I can never understand MMA fans yacobud. The same fans yacobud screaming for a Cain vs JDS rematch are the same fans yacobud that are turned off by a Shogun vs Jones rematch. At least Shogun didn't lose in 64 seconds on national television.

But yeah, Shogun v. Jones was a slaughter. No getting around that.

yacobod

Banned
But yeah, Shogun v. Jones was a slaughter. No getting around that.

i for one have never called for a JDS vs can rematch. i don't think can get get JDS down to work his gnp, and if they stand it will end via ko again.

now realistically they are going to fight again because the talent at hw is slim, but that's a different story.

Heel

Those who don't like JDS vs. Cain II should try to present a better alternative. Everyone else is either on the sidelines or still being built, unless you'd rather see JDS vs. Werdum II for some reason.

Overeem will get the fight. Its what the fans want and he deserves it. Dana won't want to miss out on good $$$$$$. Can needs to fight another striker before I am convinced he can get title shot.

Top Bottom