• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

TheNatural

My Member!
Im down for another pointless Pac fight.

And you think MMA is bad, look at boxing, look at wrestling. We complain about mediocre cards but hey, at least for the most part there's a payoff with a KO or submission for the most part.

There's virtually zero chance at a KO tomorrow night.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I cant be bothered to give any fucks bout boxing anymore. No division excites me and the only fighter i find even mildly entertaining is Martinez. If more dudes got glassed maybe id tune in more frequently.

yacobod

Banned
BJ PENN said:
"I got a lot of offers from all these other guys to fight, but when I got the offer from Rory, I said, 'Good, I get to fight that brain of Tri-Star Gym,'" he told hosts Jens and Abel Pulver. "A lot of it is [trainer] Firas [Zihabi]. They got a good thing going on up there, they have a good team, and they're making a lot of waves. Of course, they got St. Pierre, who is going to go down as the greatest welterweight in history, and now they got another guy they think will be the champion. I’m not thinking about any belts or anything, but I’m pretty good myself. I want to show them, I want to show the world that you’re not going to just walk in and kick my butt for four rounds. No way. You’re going to the hospital, too. If I go to the hospital, you’re going to the hospital, too."

"Everything is in the past but I’d like to get out there, show Tri-Star gym and their fans or whatever that I’m a worthy opponent," he said. "I’m not just a guy that will walk in the ring and somebody's going to walk across and crush me. That’s not going to be the story."

Characterizing the MacDonald fight as "a great challenge and a great task," Penn said he would soon go about the task of whipping himself into fighting shape. The first item on his preparation list is simple weight loss.

Penn said he's grown a "big belly" since going on hiatus, now weighting about 185. He said he'd like to lose about 20 pounds before heading into an intensive camp. On the bright side though, Penn noted that the time off has his body feeling revitalized, saying he feels 22.

"I know when I'm going in at full gear and everything's ready to go, he ain't going to see my fists coming, he ain't going to see my takedowns, he ain't going to be able to stop my submissions," he said. "I feel very confident.

The 33-year-old Penn wouldn't speculate on his career past the MacDonald fight, saying that he could eventually move back down to lightweight, but believed this to be the last fight on his current UFC contract, making the future hinge on the result.

As for the prospect of facing MacDonald on his home turf in Canada at UFC 152, that's no bother for Penn, who as always, welcomes any challenge.

"I'm ready to fly up to Toronto, the belly of the beast," he said. "I’m going to see a fire-breathing dragon, and I’m going to pull out my sword. I'm ready. I'm ready to do this."

Full story here.

WAR BJ!

BJ is gettin dat ass whooped. Noway a lazy semi retired Penn is going to beat a hungry 22 year old warrior thats been active. BJ is goin in for dat pay check. He should have taken the Koscheck fight. BJ shouldn't even be fighting at 170. We all saw what GSP did to him in that 2nd fight.

DKehoe

BJ stops Rory in 11 seconds imo

rory-macdonald-9.jpg

Good thing that Rory doesn't actually have a soul for BJ to steal if this happens.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
"I'm ready to fly up to Toronto, the belly of the beast," he said. "I’m going to see a fire-breathing dragon, and I’m going to pull out my sword. I'm ready. I'm ready to do this."

ibtSHzk2NqS5il.gif

Ok, anyway, horrible fight for BJ. I'm sure after he loses we'll get more excuses about motivation though.

I am dying for Wand vs Tito 2 at 205. This fight just makes waaaay to much sense right now and make it a double retirement fight. Market it as the most dominant UFC LHW champ vs the most dominant Pride MW champ. I would fully expect a finish this time as they are both made of glass these days. Ill go with Wand via TKO strikes in the 2nd. Such a great way for both fighters to end their careers.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Pat Miletich think Cormier would ragdoll Jon Jones. Also, one of his dream matchups is Johnny Hendricks v GSP.

elohel

rkn

Is this one of those scenarios where a "legend" has much more to lose than gain? BJ seems down to scrap regardless.

DKehoe

Is this one of those scenarios where a "legend" has much more to lose than gain? BJ seems down to scrap regardless.

He does but I'd imagine UFC are paying him pretty well for it knowing that Rory getting a win over BJ would help make him into a star. Credit to BJ for taking this fight rather than the one with Koscheck, who is a much higher profile name.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
i just picked random names for the undercarders and boosted them. I'll probably score better than the last few shows.

The Euro 2012 "monkey chant" thread made me think about how I haven't really seen any of that bullshit in European mma shows that I've seen. I think I've even seen a black ring girl at one of the Polish or Russian shows recently.

Kendall Grove sucks.
Show some respect, he beat Super Hluk.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Kendall Grove sucks.

Isn't he the 6'6" guy who fights at middleweight? What a fucking talentless coward.

The Euro 2012 "monkey chant" thread made me think about how I haven't really seen any of that bullshit in European mma shows that I've seen. I think I've even seen a black ring girl at one of the Polish or Russian shows recently.

I'm not sure if you're European or anything so I'll explain: football to Europeans is more tribal in nature than anything else and as such can attract far-right and racist supporters. At it's worst it is localised warfare. With MMA and boxing it's more of a spectacle than anything, with very few "this is my team, from my city, from my country" connections.

Don't get these guys wrong though, they're still hoping the black dude gets killed. They're just not going to start throwing bananas into the cage/ring like they do in football. Otherwise the black dude would just jump into the crowd and fuck people up.

Heel

Not interested in either fight. Hendricks is just Koscheck with a beard.

Not that either would win, but I kind of see Condit finding out who the real Muhammad Ali of MMA actually is but refusing to change his game plan. No one can float and sting with tha gawd. At least Hendricks would plod forward with the heat and go out on his shield.

Heel

Junior dos Santos Installed as Slight Favorite In Cain Velasquez Rematch

Despite smashing through every opponent placed in front of him in the UFC octagon and crushing Cain Velasquez in their first meeting, Junior dos Santos is only considered a slight favorite to win the rematch between them.

In the first line released on the fight, noted oddsmaker Nick Kalikas installed the reigning UFC heavyweight champion as a -150 favorite over the ex-champ, who is a +120 underdog.

dos Santos (15-1) was also considered a slight favorite in the opening line of their first fight, though just barely, at -125 to Velasquez's -105.

At least Vegas isn't swayed and can bring a few of you back to reality. Take advantage if you dare.

Heel

Khalidov offered $20k/$20k deal by UFC

The KSW star was offered a four-fight deal by the UFC recently but made public comments about the financial terms being unacceptable to him. He is paid $30,000 per fight in Poland, plus sponsorship, and is slowly edging onto mainstream television chat shows and the like.

Fighters Only spoke to a source on the Zuffa side who said that Khalidov’s comments were puzzling considering that he was offered a $20,000/$20,000 deal. That means that his first fight, if he won it, would be worth $40,000. If he lost he would get $20,000 - less than his KSW rate but more than UFC newcomers who are unknown in the US.

Khalidov’s management supposedly told the UFC that his overall package had to be higher because the sponsors would not follow him from KSW to the UFC. “That was a strange thing to say,” said the source. “It equates to ‘please pay him more, because nobody wants to sponsor him’ - does that make your fighter sound more attractive or less attractive to a promoter?”

Open up your damn piggy bank Uncle Dana. This one is worth it.

iGM6Df455rwym.gif

DKehoe

LMFAO @ JDS only being the "slight" favorite. Shouldn't he be heavily favored since he K Can TFO in 64 seconds?

To me KOing someone in a minute after one punch is less definitive than, for example, what JDS did to Mir. JDS could have just got a lucky punch.

I'm not sure if you're European or anything so I'll explain: football to Europeans is more tribal in nature than anything else and as such can attract far-right and racist supporters. At it's worst it is localised warfare. With MMA and boxing it's more of a spectacle than anything, with very few "this is my team, from my city, from my country" connections.

Don't get these guys wrong though, they're still hoping the black dude gets killed. They're just not going to start throwing bananas into the cage/ring like they do in football. Otherwise the black dude would just jump into the crowd and fuck people up.
Ah I see. Nope, from Hawaii so all that stuff is a complete mystery to me. Don't get it at all.

Heel

I'm pretty sure there's cheaper aluminium recycling facilities in Las Vegas. There's no need to import one from Eastern Europe.

Brian Stann and Phil Davis couldn't open up Shonuff the Can in 3 rounds, breh. Khalidov did it in under 2 minutes.

UFC needs to pay their import tariff and quit squabbling over a measly few grand.

LMFAO @ JDS only being the "slight" favorite. Shouldn't he be heavily favored since he K Can TFO in 64 seconds?

Vegas is always the voice of reason. If you're confident you should take advantage of their mistake. Who knows where this fight goes if it actually gets off the ground.

To me KOing someone in a minute after one punch is less definitive than, for example, what JDS did to Mir. JDS could have just got a lucky punch.

I would hardly call that lucky considering what JDS has done so in his career. Rashad KOing Liddell or Zaga KOing CroCop can have a case of considering it luck. I aint buying a lucky shot from JDS. Noway.

Centurion

Banned

Cain has a good chance of winning. I still think he is the current Fedor of the HW division (as close as we've gotten anyhow).

He has a good chance of taking him down. I think it can go either way.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Pat Miletich think Cormier would ragdoll Jon Jones.

elohel

People have been trashing on Miletich the last 2 years he's been hyping up Cormier all thru the Strikeforce Challenger series ..

Pats been right ..
this guy so far has been amazing.. the way he destroyed bigfoot..the way he tossed Barnett around like a light weight.. If he could get his arms around Jones...(big if I know) absolutely he'd ragdoll him.

Top Bottom