• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Heel

after JDS dismantles fraudreem in december, we can do the rematch. have can fight someone like werdum in the mean time.

Overeem isn't going to get a fight days after he comes off a suspension, though. Why campaign for a title holder to sit on the shelf for so long? Let's keep it moving brah.

We need to rally for Mark Hunt again. There are no other alternatives besides Overeem. Fuck it give Can Mark Hunt. Can needs a striker ASAP...maybe even Carwin.

yacobod

Banned
Overeem isn't going to get a fight days after he comes off a suspension, though. Why campaign for a title holder to sit on the shelf for so long? Let's keep it moving brah.

if that's the case, maybe uncle dana will give the fans what they want:

JDS vs Brock in October, Brocktoberfest!

1 million PPVs, Brock puts over JDS big time, propelling him to being the UFCs biggest star, and we can finally see how good JDS' TDD is.

Yeah I would much rather see Brock fight JDS than Cain. I think if Brock fights JDS the same way he fought Cain than he might actually have a chance. He needs to come in aggressive and bull rush him, swarm him like a beast.

Heel

if that's the case, maybe uncle dana will give the fans what they want:

JDS vs Brock in October, Brocktoberfest!

1 million PPVs, Brock puts over JDS big time, propelling him to being the UFCs biggest star, and we can finally see how good JDS' TDD is.

I agree completely.

Esch

Banned
Hey guys, I know this is the MMA thread. I've been thinking for a while that GAF has a sizeable portion of martial artists given the popularity of MMA and well, because this is a videogame forum. I'm asking here to see if any of you are interested in starting a martial arts training thread for people at all levels of practicing some martial art, be it traditional, combat sport, or even for health and fitness. I think it could be really fun to at least have GAF talking about their training or experiences. Thoughts?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Brock has no chance against Junior, christ.

Funny how Cain becomes Can after 1 loss but people are still loving Lesnar after getting destroyed in 2, almost 3, straight fights.

TheNatural

My Member!
So, what does Shogun have to gain from fighting Brandon Vera? I mean, why would he ever take such a fight? Has he earned it? Just curious.

ibmNC9n71aWkAT.gif

"Shogun" was in the midst of a public relations nightmare before this announcement, having been outed by UFC President Dana White after turning down a fight against Glover Teixeira after his originally scheduled opponent at UFC 149, Thiago Silva, bowed out due to injury.

Except the Rua camp denies that was ever the case.

That's not to say Vera doesn't pose problems that could prove to be significant but there's a fairly large gap in rankings between the two. And by fairly large, I mean "Shogun" is the number four ranked light heavyweight in the world. Vera? He comes in at number 21.

But hey, that's one better than Teixeira.

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/6/6/30...in-event-announced-shogun-rua-vs-brandon-vera

gd8BA.jpg

TheNatural

My Member!
Hey guys, I know this is the MMA thread. I've been thinking for a while that GAF has a sizeable portion of martial artists given the popularity of MMA and well, because this is a videogame forum. I'm asking here to see if any of you are interested in starting a martial arts training thread for people at all levels of practicing some martial art, be it traditional, combat sport, or even for health and fitness. I think it could be really fun to at least have GAF talking about their training or experiences. Thoughts?

And not to ignore your request, but I think it's a good idea - I don't think anyone here actually practices though. I would like to eventually, but I don't have the cash for it, and there's a lot of shady schools.

I don't think Brock did that bad in the Cain fight. He was doing very well untill he gassed himself out. I wouldn't say he got destroyed in a one sided beat down....Overeem on the other hand legit killed him.

Esch

Banned
And not to ignore your request, but I think it's a good idea - I don't think anyone here actually practices though. I would like to eventually, but I don't have the cash for it, and there's a lot of shady schools.

Wow, that's kind of a big surprise actually. Nobody? What are you trying to train?

Heel

I'd say using "Geno Mrosko" to justify the booking and Shogun's acceptance of a fight with Brandon Vera is best thing I've read all day.

Wow, that's kind of a big surprise actually. Nobody? What are you trying to train?

I'd like to learn how to break rocks with my index finger.

Esch

Banned
I'd like to learn how to break rocks with my index finger.

Poke softer stuff with some give softly.

Gradually raise force until you can break/puncture said stuff

poke harder stuff

rinse and repeat.

I wouldn't say nobody. Not to toot my own horn but I wrestled in 7th grade.

Wrestling is really fun and useful. I did in for 2 years in hs as well.

Heel

I imagine Heel answering like this if I tried to troll him over the phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECTMRI9nAyU

Real talk though, that "MMA journalist" is basing his article off rankings that came out before Glover's UFC debut lol. Anyone who thinks he's ranked below Vera is crappin' themselves. Anyone who thinks Shogun is taking a fight with Vera over Glover because he's "earned it" is crappin' themselves as well.

It's funny to think James TeHuna may actually be a step up in competition compared to Brandon Vera. Not that I'd be surprised to see Shogun the Shook One lose to either at this point in his career. Maybe you were right all along Natch. Why not James TeHuna?

ifaOYZYzmnLj1.jpg

Being a can also requires a high level of denial. It takes so much to train to be a fighter, you have to believe strongly in yourself. How many losses do you need before you realize you'll never be a top fighter? Jobbers know what they are.

TheNatural

My Member!
You don't tug on Superman's cape, and you don't mess around with Nick The Promise Ring:

UFC fighter Nick Ring knows a good fight.

But what he saw Wednesday night at a bus stop on Macleod Trail was far from it, and he stepped in to even the odds.

Ring — a 33-year-old mixed martial arts fighter who is gearing up for UFC 149 in Calgary next month — was leaving the Starbucks at Macleod Trail and 94th Avenue when he saw a group of about 10 people across the street beating up a couple to steal a young woman’s backpack.

“This one girl had another girl by her hair and was kneeing her in the face while her boyfriend was trying to protect the poor girl. It was right out of a movie, they were holding him back and beating him up as well,” said Ring on Thursday morning.

“It was a really horrible thing to see.”

He wasn’t going to put up with it.

Ring got out of his car, checked on the victims and along with another bystander who saw the fight in progress started to chase what he called the “wannabe gangsters” who ran when they saw them.

As he chased the suspects, who appeared to be about 17 or 18 years old, Ring called police on his cellphone.

The pair was able to catch one suspect and Ring says police caught another five or six suspects.

“I did not like what I saw and I wasn’t going to stand around and watch that happen. It was a crime and it was completely wrong. I’m not going to let anything like that happen if I’ve got anything to say about it. Not a chance.”

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...Calgary+stop/6745757/story.html#ixzz1x8flj4Ls

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The guy lost a decision and then immediately got his first win. At that point he probably thought to himself, "Hey, I think I'm getting this!"

Then he proceeds to lose 20 consecutive fights. I feel bad for him.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I didn't even know tomorrow night's card was tomorrow night. I thought it was Saturday night. Only reason I found was because I just read the weigh-ins were today and everyone made weight. If not for that, I would've missed the card.

Heel

ProElite never die.

T. Jay Thompson said:
It's a little difficult as it’s a public company but I can tell you I am still employed by the company. There is some reorganization going on and we will continue building on our first three shows. What I can't give you unfortunately at the moment is an exact date. Though I will tell you I am excited with what I'm hearing behind the scenes of what the future has in store. In short, thank you to all the true MMA fans and the ProElite family of fighters who have been patient as we go through this reorganization. If I have my way we will more than make it up to all of you.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
All this week I thought it was the Maynard/Guida fight on Friday which I'm actually looking forward too. Now I'm sad.

I don't post in this thread much but I practice, not MMA, but Muay Thai/American Kickboxing. I have 3 amateur fights so far. I got a wicked jab and I kinda wish I started training everything much earlier. Already 27 years old so I don't really see myself branching out into other stuff like BJJ/Wrestling and compete in MMA, but hey I am pretty good at my single discipline so I guess I will just stick with that as long as my body lets me. Thankfully at 27 I have been injury free so far minus a broken nose and a knocked out tooth.

dream

Which of these matches do you have the most interest in?
Silva vs. Sonnen 30.6%
Lesnar vs. Undertaker 19.5%
Lesnar vs. HHH 11.3%
Lesnar vs. Rock 11.1%
GSP vs. Diaz 8.2%
Rousey vs. Cyborg 8.1%
Velasquez vs. Dos Santos 6.0%
Roode vs. Storm 5.3%

TheNatural

My Member!
I didn't even know tomorrow night's card was tomorrow night. I thought it was Saturday night. Only reason I found was because I just read the weigh-ins were today and everyone made weight. If not for that, I would've missed the card.

Pacquaio fights Saturday night so UFC won't dare go up against it, even with a minor card.

Watching Maynard Edgar 2 on Unleashed. Seen it a couple times before but still so amazing to see how much punishment Frankie took in the 1st. Holy fuck his chin is so good.

Top Bottom