• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
ibf0xq6aopLi5I.gif

In brightest day... in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight! Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power.

;)

166524_10151006163076276_1952037812_n.jpg

You don't want none of this Conduit.

DKehoe

I would hardly call that lucky considering what JDS has done so in his career. Rashad KOing Liddell or Zaga KOing CroCop can have a case of considering it luck. I aint buying a lucky shot from JDS. Noway.

Lucky was maybe the wrong word since obviously JDS is fantastic. I just meant I don't see that fight as being much of an indicator for what any other fights they would have would be like. Again using JDS and Mir as an example, it went for a decent amount of time and JDS dominated throughout. If they were to rematch I'd expect that fight to more or less look the same. I don't think anyone can really claim that the most likely way for Cain and JDS II to play out is another 60 second KO. All you can really learn from the last fight is that JDS has the power to KO Cain.

DKehoe

What do you think about the JBJ Shogun fight where JBJ landed a flying knee in the opening?

Hard to say since you just have to go on Shogun's word that it messed him up for the rest of the fight. If it did then sure maybe the fight would have played out differently. Although the way they match up stylistically, that fight ended up going the way I would expect a rematch to.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
People have been trashing on Miletich the last 2 years he's been hyping up Cormier all thru the Strikeforce Challenger series ..

Pats been right ..
this guy so far has been amazing.. the way he destroyed bigfoot..the way he tossed Barnett around like a light weight.. If he could get his arms around Jones...(big if I know) absolutely he'd ragdoll him.

Id take CornMeYay all day over bones. Come at me bros.

What do you think about the JBJ Shogun fight where JBJ landed a flying knee in the opening?

It hit him full on. Shogun ate it and continued the fight. Shogun himself admitted that the flying knee messed him up that fight which is strange because he ate like 15 H bombs during the Hendo fight and kept fighting. I personally think the knee messed him up on top of coming into the fight half assed and injured. Hendo gave Shogun a way bigger beat down IMO. Dat face.

DKehoe

It hit him full on. Shogun ate it and continued the fight. Shogun himself admitted that the flying knee messed him up that fight which is strange because he ate like 15 H bombs during the Hendo fight and kept fighting.

I don't think its so much an admission as it is an excuse (even if it is a legitimate one). Hendo didn't dominate Shogun the way Jones did. "I was was messed up from early on in that fight" sounds better than "yeh, he dominated me and made me tap to strikes"

I don't think its so much an admission as it is an excuse (even if it is a legitimate one). Hendo didn't dominate Shogun the way Jones did. "I was was messed up from early on in that fight" sounds better than "yeh, he dominated me and made me tap to strikes"

Hendo dished out more damage IMO but Shogun kept the fight competitive. Dominate? no but that doesn't mean he didn't do more damage. I think this Shogun tapping to strikes is a bit blown out of proportion, his hand hit the mat after the ref called the fight and it didn't look like it was a tapping motion.

To Hendo's credit the ref could have stopped the fight in the 3rd when Hendo was raining H bombs down on Shogun.

Lucky was maybe the wrong word since obviously JDS is fantastic. I just meant I don't see that fight as being much of an indicator for what any other fights they would have would be like. Again using JDS and Mir as an example, it went for a decent amount of time and JDS dominated throughout. If they were to rematch I'd expect that fight to more or less look the same. I don't think anyone can really claim that the most likely way for Cain and JDS II to play out is another 60 second KO. All you can really learn from the last fight is that JDS has the power to KO Cain.

The way it works is that every fight is based on one person making mistakes and the other fighter capitalizing on them. In that fight, Cain made an enormous error early on and JDS capitalized on it perfectly. The huge error was something that's really uncharacteristic of Cain and is something that he can train to avoid.

Really, in any fight that ends quickly it's generally the result of a huge error and isn't indicative of a fight that isn't based on a huge error (unless the erring fighter is incapable of avoiding that error). I still think JDS is going to clown Cain in number two but I doubt it will be a quick knockout again.

Heel

lmao, I just stumbled on poly ethering John Morgan on Twitter via Dave Sholler. Too funny.

polyh3dron - @MMAjunkieJohn no, but Zuffa should have considered the effects of this kind of saturation in the long run, and can fix it going forward

John Morgan - @polyh3dron Sorry, man. Agree to disagree, I guess. More and more athletes coming up. Less shows, less jobs. Not down for that.

This man clearly does not get it. What's an athlete if he's lost in a sea of events and has no build? Who cares? That doesn't solve anything. I need to start an alt account and go in on these UFC yes men.

DKehoe

Hendo dished out more damage IMO but Shogun kept the fight competitive. Dominate? no but that doesn't mean he didn't do more damage. I think this Shogun tapping to strikes is a bit blown out of proportion, his hand hit the mat after the ref called the fight and it didn't look like it was a tapping motion.

To Hendo's credit the ref could have stopped the fight in the 3rd when Hendo was raining H bombs down on Shogun.

My point was that the Hendo fight was back and forth with both looking like they could win at points. Jones dominated Shogun throughout the entire fight like no one has ever done before.

For Shogun to say he was messed up for most of the Jones fight isn't an admission, its an excuse as to why he felt his performance wasn't as good as it could be. An admission was Shogun saying he went into the second Machida fight injured and thats why he came out so aggressive since he knew he had to finish it in the first.

The way it works is that every fight is based on one person making mistakes and the other fighter capitalizing on them. In that fight, Cain made an enormous error early on and JDS capitalized on it perfectly. The huge error was something that's really uncharacteristic of Cain and is something that he can train to avoid.

Really, in any fight that ends quickly it's generally the result of a huge error and isn't indicative of a fight that isn't based on a huge error (unless the erring fighter is incapable of avoiding that error). I still think JDS is going to clown Cain in number two but I doubt it will be a quick knockout again.

Cain went for the takedown and failed. Remember that fights all start out on the feet. It wasn't as much as Cain making a mistake as it was JDS having superb TDD and striking. Judging by the Carwin fight even he couldn't really take JDS down and hes a better wrestler than Cain. Brock took Cain down twice and was only able to take Carwin down in the 2nd.

ya, an undersized HW who destroyed all the top HW contenders of his time is a can. That's exactly what I meant.

What top heavyweights did he destroy? He fought 95% cans/freakshows. His best wins are over Nog and Crocop, both of which went to decision, and both of those guys have looked horrible since coming to UFC from Pride.

Fedor was a can crushing cans.

Centurion

Banned
What top heavyweights did he destroy? He fought 95% cans/freakshows. His best wins are over Nog and Crocop, both of which went to decision, and both of those guys have looked horrible since coming to UFC from Pride.

Fedor was a can crushing cans.

whatever you say chief.

It's cute when you come to the sport late, and all of a sudden, all the past greats become "cans"

I didn't come to this sport late. I have been watching since UFC 1. I always thought Fedor was incredibly lucky and on a hotstreak and that if he ever fought real top 10 contenders he would get exposed, and he did.

i smell a liar. lol @ "real contender". I don't think you know anything about what you speak of, UFC never had any real contenders during his reign. Their HW division was abysmal, all the top HWs and LHW (minus Tito, Chuck, etc) were at pride. I'm sure you've been a die hard fan since the sports existence, sure buddy.

I didn't come to this sport late. I have been watching since UFC 1. I always thought Fedor was incredibly lucky and on a hotstreak and that if he ever fought real top 10 contenders he would get exposed, and he did.

DKehoe

I'm curious then, in Fedor's prime who would you have said was the best HW in the world at that time?

Heel

MMA |OT3| Fedor

Do we have to reward trolling and/or ignorance? We've got Natch for this kind of thing. The thread title is tongue-in-cheek. Really, it is.

Centurion

Banned
Tie between Barnett, Couture, and Mir.

Mir himself used to say fedor was #1, same with couture, and Barnett refused to fight him.

you really don't know shit and are now trying to pretend like you do. Mir/Couture/Barnette better than Fedor? Sherdog would've loved you a few years ago.

Heel

Yes I think a 27 year old Mir pre motorcycle accident would have exposed Fedor if they ever fought.

The one that got knocked out by Ian Freeman? The Barnett that lost to both Cro Cop and Nog? The Couture that lost to...well, you see where this is going, right? By your own definition every single MMA fighter has been exposed as a can.

The one that got knocked out by Ian Freeman? The Barnett that lost to both Cro Cop and Nog? The Couture that lost to...well, you see where this is going, right? By your own definition every single MMA fighter has been exposed as a can.

Styles make fights man. Everyone that Fedor fought bought into his legacy and aura of being undefeatable. Most of the guys that fought him already lost mentaly before they even put their hands on him.

Hell I would say even the LHW guys during that time would have given him serious problems if they didn't buy into his hype. Guys like Wand, Shogun, Vitor, and Rampage all could have probably taken him, and Hendo eventually did.

DKehoe

Styles make fights man. Everyone that Fedor fought bought into his legacy and aura of being undefeatable. Most of the guys that fought him already lost mentaly before they even put their hands on him.

Hell I would say even the LHW guys during that time would have given him serious problems if they didn't buy into his hype. Guys like Wand, Shogun, Vitor, and Rampage all could have probably taken him, and Hendo eventually did.

Vitor would win because he wouldn't have lost it mentally? At least be a bit more subtle.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

this point should be quoted and added in the GAF-MMA Faq..which should be in every OT as things go along

Cain went for the takedown and failed. Remember that fights all start out on the feet. It wasn't as much as Cain making a mistake as it was JDS having superb TDD and striking. Judging by the Carwin fight even he couldn't really take JDS down and hes a better wrestler than Cain. Brock took Cain down twice and was only able to take Carwin down in the 2nd.

I honestly agree with this in general (in that JDS is too good at scrambling for Cain to take him down) but MMA isn't transitive like this. You can't just say "X took Y down 2 times and Z down 3 times so Y is better". Besides, Brock taking them down only references their takedown defense and not their offensive wrestling.

Centurion

Banned
I always tell myself I'm not gonna watch these shitty cards, and proceed to watch all of them including the prelims. I don't even know why.

Pyle/Neer might be fun, but none of these fights have any real impact :/

Top Bottom