• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

dream

I am ready too. Prefer physical books? Public domain ebooks are free.

I kind of sometimes prefer ebooks too but, as a comparatist, I also like to be prepared to explore intertextuality and critical analysis of what I am reading.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
picture.php
2760-5456.gif

G'day mate

Hometown hero Dustin Pague replacing an injured Francisco Rivera against Ken Stone. I'm happy about that because now I'll have a horse in that race.

dream said:
I kind of sometimes prefer ebooks too but, as a comparatist, I also like to be prepared to explore intertextuality and critical analysis of what I am reading.

My favorite part about ebooks (on Kindle) is the dictionary function. Its really helping to aggrandize my vocabulary.

dream

My favorite part about ebooks (on Kindle) is the dictionary function. Its really helping to aggrandize my vocabulary.

I love that too but the problem I have with ebooks is all the stuff I scribble in the marginalia, especially when I'm referencing like 8 books at a time.

Heel

I've been using iBooks on the iPad. It does the definitions, but when I make a note about a specific character the notes don't appear for each instance of that name appearing later in the book. I think that'd be pretty useful in theory, especially with all these characters in Animal Farm.

Does the Kindle app do something like that? Which do you guys prefer?

dream

I've been using iBooks on the iPad. It does the definitions, but when I make a note about a specific character the notes don't appear for each instance of that name appearing later in the book. I think that'd be pretty useful in theory, especially with all these characters in Animal Farm.

Does the Kindle app do something like that? Which do you guys prefer?

I use iBooks because it's pretty.

JimiNutz

Banned
Struve vs. Stipe is the Nottingham headliner. Bisping said he'd like to be on the Sept 1st card or fight in England for his return.
UK shat on once again.
Last good headliner we had (on paper) was UFC 75 Jackson vs Henderson (for the LHW title).

We'd never get a fight like that now :(

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Struve vs. Stipe is the Nottingham headliner. Bisping said he'd like to be on the Sept 1st card or fight in England for his return.

UK shat on once again.

Why are people hating on this fight? It looks good to me. Stipe by decapitation.

browne-struve.gif

I was expecting Dan Hardy to headline the show, considering that Nottingham is his hometown and all.

Stipe coming out party incoming. I guess that means they have other plans for Hunt?

They've already been in Australia this year, right?

Anyhows: Carwin vs. Hunt is my prediction. Carwin says he should be ready in Fall.

industrian

LOL must watch highlight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P28EpyQ4As&feature=player_embedded#t=36s

Taunting, how does it work? Would love to see that happen to Diaz, but even he isn't that stupid to try it in that sequence.

Also someone plzzzz GIF.

This guy's from Scotland. Seems to be undefeated unstoppable as well: http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Alan-Johnston-71873

I want to watch more MMA with commentators that have accents.

Give me a job as a commentator then. I'll go full Glaswegian accent.

So when does Travis Brown get real fights to move up the ladder? He knocks Struve's bitch ass out yet Struve gets to headline a UFC. Brown is pretty damn entertaining as well.

industrian

So when does Travis Brown get real fights to move up the ladder? He knocks Struve's bitch ass out yet Struve gets to headline a UFC. Brown is pretty damn entertaining as well.

The unstoppable Travis Browne is currently matched up with Ben Rothwell at UFC on Fox 4. If he gets past him then I'd say he's in a decent position to demand a fight with a Top 5 guy to prove his worth. And after that maybe he can get a fight to determine the No. 1 Contender.

But he needs to promote himself a lot more to get there. Right now he just seems to be one of those beige personalities that blend together to comprise the mid-range of the heavyweight division. Hell, I didn't know he was undefeated until I checked up on him there.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
AHAHAHAHJAJAJAJA

Old Dragon Ball is the best

Woman "I believe you have 2 balls hidden"

Goku "Wow, yes"

Woman "Show me them, they hold the key to your future."

Goku "Ok"

Pulls down pants and shows her his nuts.

SteveWD40

UK shat on once again.
Last good headliner we had (on paper) was UFC 75 Jackson vs Henderson (for the LHW title).

We'd never get a fight like that now :(

We don't buy PPV's (even football couldn't shift them), fighters make a lot of money from PPV revenues, therefore fighters lose money fighting here it seems.

The UK guys like Bisping who are paid a shit-ton anyway don' mind as much as they get a "hometown" advantage, despite many of them now living in the US full time (Hardy, Pickett, Bisping, Pearson soon).

We won't have "big names" here when they lose money doing it.

industrian

We won't have "big names" here when they lose money doing it.

Well, that and fighters don't like to travel. If I were an American fighter I would hate to have to fly long distance somewhere either just before a fight with the alternative being flying there 1-3 months before and having your full training camp there (with all the costs, culture shock, leaving family behind, loneliness, etc that entails.) That and with places like the UK you've got tax issues which I assume is just the cherry ontop.

Forrest Griffin fighting at UFC 134 is a good example of what I mean.

TheNatural

My Member!
Well I just lost $25

It isn't really a surprise that most MMA fighters have their own website but Miesha's new and updated one gives you the opportunity to chat with her LIVE.

Here is the official page: Official site of Miesha Tate | Powered by Fan Annex

Most of the stuff (photos/news) is free but if you get a 'premium' membership ($4.99 a month or $24.99 a year), then you also get access to these:
Exclusive photos not found anywhere else
Exclusive videos not found anywhere else
Access to store for merchandise and memorbilia (does that mean if we don't pay for membership we won't get to buy any of her stuff? Doesn't she make profit off that? )
Contests available to fans only
Be able to submit your picture with Miesha that will be permanently on her website (trolololol if you happen to be overweight and send in a pic of yourself eating nachos on the couch while wearing a Tapout shirt)
Chance to Video Chat with Miesha herself (times and days TBD)
Book 1 on 1 video chat
See Marzia stream live from her phone (coming soon)

tass0

Banned
AHAHAHAHJAJAJAJA

Old Dragon Ball is the best

Woman "I believe you have 2 balls hidden"

Goku "Wow, yes"

Woman "Show me them, they hold the key to your future."

Goku "Ok"

Pulls down pants and shows her his nuts.

I firmly believe that Dragonball/Dragonball Z is not only the best show of all time, but the best thing ever.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
This should be added to the schedule:

BE said:
Just announced, ONE FC 4, which will be hosted in Malaysia next week, will be streamed online starting at 8 a.m. ET on June 23rd. The first four bouts of the card will be available for free on YouTube, while the rest of the incredibly stacked card will be on an online PPV stream for $9.99. Here's their official fight card:

ONE Fighting Championship 4: Destiny of Warriors
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Jun 23, 2012 -- 8:00 a.m ET

Online PPV:
Renato Sobral vs Tatsuya Mizuno
Zorobabel Moreira vs Roger Huerta
Leandro Issa vs Masakazu Imanari
Gregor Gracie vs Adam Kayoom
Bae Young Kwon vs Eric Kelly
Brian Choi vs Arnaud Lepont

Free on YouTube:
Mitch Chilson vs AJ Vaa
Marcos Escobar vs Rodrigo Praxedes
Kim Hock Quek vs Peter Davis
Roldan Sangcha-an vs Allamurad Karayev

Also Bob Sapp just lost again in something called Road FC 008 in South Korea. Denis Kang was on that card too and won.

Heel

I will add One FC soon. Didn't see Road FC listed on Sherdog.

By the way, poly says that ShoFIGHT will be airing live in Canada so Nerd Chat might be a go. 6:00 PM PT / 9:00 PM ET.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
So Big Nog pulled out of 149 and Kongo is now fighting some guy I've never heard of. Every fight has changed on the card. Kongo is the last original fighter on it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
sooo i haven't been following this super closely but i don't get ufc 147 right now. are there seriously only four total fights booked for this? (all crap to begin with)

are they just going to buy out jungle fight to fill it out?

edit: oh i guess it's a tuf card? i see tba is in there too, but he's booked for 149 already and i think a couple other fights in the near future so not sure how that's supposed to work out

dream

So Big Nog pulled out of 149 and Kongo is now fighting some guy I've never heard of. Every fight has changed on the card. Kongo is the last original fighter on it.

Mr. Meltzer wrote it up as:

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira has pulled out of the 7/21 show in Calgary, where he was to face Cheick Kongo. Nogueira will be replaced by former LSU football player Shaun Jordan.

And I'm going to interpret that as the UFC signing a football player to make his fighting debut against Kongo because it amuses me to do so.

Heel

Shawn Jordan is the guy who injuired Brian Stann, right? Funny. Anyway, it's a guy who beat Lavar Johnson in Strikeforce if that means anything to UFC-GAF.

Sherdog has Bad MMA starting in a few minutes. Sara McMann seems to have mysteriously disappeared from the fight card, though.

Sweet, any idea where its gonna be aired? PM if need be please.

Fight Network in Canada.

Centurion

Banned
Im honestly surprised the insurance deal ever happened. You wouldn't think any insurance company would take them in... It must cost a fortune per fighter for the UFC.

who am I kidding though, it's still chump change to Zuffa's overall take-in, especially when you look at how much the average fighter makes.

Top Bottom