• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

yacobod

Banned
How do you enjoy a sport illegally?

dana-white.jpg

ShaneB

Would you guys rather watch a guy that puts on exciting fights who loses sometimes or a boring fighter who keeps winning fights like Woodley does?

Not sure if this is a serious question. Again, I never know when people are joking or serious in this thread, so no offense.

A fighter who wins all the time is boring as shit. Same with any sport, why watch if I know what team is going to win?

give me an exciting fighter with a .500 record and I'll watch all his fights.

I mean even in your question you say 'boring' fighter, why would anyone want to watch that? Unpredictability is a wonderful thing in this sport. Sure rooting for an underdog against the unstoppable force is fun, but bah, gimme a fight where I don't know what the fuck will happen.

Heel

Watch what you say, yacobud has exhibited snitch-like tendencies on par with our light heavyweight champion.

dream, tentative friend, I'd watch your back. We may have another G-Fex on our hands here.

TheNatural

My Member!
Watch what you say, yacobud has exhibited snitch-like tendencies on par with our light heavyweight champion.

dream, tentative friend, I'd watch your back. We may have another G-Fex on our hands here.

Don't worry, like industry leader Bob Arum, I am well informed of legalities.

dream

Spending a minimum of $800 a year on this wretched product gives one the moral highground to do anything, including snitching.

Boogie

I'm ready for ShoFIGHT.

Main Event – ShoFIGHT Welterweight Championship
15. John ‘Guns’ Gunderson (UFC Vet) vs Karo ‘the Heat’ Parysian (UFC Vet)
Co-Main Event – ShoFIGHT Middleweight Championship
14. ‘Dangerous’ Terry Martin (UFC Vet) vs Kendall ‘the Spyder’ Grove (UFC Vet)

oh shit, Terry Martin is still fighting?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
It's a Bad MMA weekend, friend. No ratings to speak of. Pretty soon Mo Smith will bring us back to our roots and let us enjoy this bloodsport for what it is.

I'm pretty sure this isn't actually airing anywhere until July.

Crap. I'll keep checking though that night.

dream

Nonsense, Fedor lost almost all of his appeal once he started losing.

I disagree with this. I became a big Freddy Lenko fan after the Werdum fight and would go out of my way to watch his subsequent fights just to see how he'd lose. I think tapping to strikes is his only remaining method of losing.

yacobod

Banned
Magic Johnson just called RWB the worst pg he's ever seen play in an NBA finals game, what do you say friend?

I can no longer endorse the uppity police state this thread has become.

#TeamChamber

how quickly people forget corporate Chamber abandoned mma-gaf a few months ago, and let's not bring up Natch's emo spell...

Heel

MMA-GAF: Are we going to ignore the gloomy behavior of our friends paying for their right to agony and go back to enjoying MMA? yes or not

It's time to draw a line in the sand before we lose our good friends Chamber, maklershed, ShaneB and many others who are hanging on by a thread.

dream

No, not really...Vertigo titles suck now that DMZ has ended. I did see Brian Wood has some new title out called, like, The Massive or something, so I might check that out.

edit: sorry, that's a lie, the new Daredevil is cute
feel free to recommend stuff btw

dream

saz: I do read Chew from time to time. And Invincible. Do you have an iPad? You can buy Heart on Comixology

my good friend: of course I don't purchase then in person. Only digitally. And I don't even read them in public or in mixed company.

yacobod

Banned
I think I told you guys I went to the lcs in February or March and felt ashamed afterwards. I don't know why but ordering online tpbs or digital is all I could see myself doing. I think I spent too much time lurking those monthly threads and wanted to check something out. It seems like modern comics are a pretty poor entertainment investment though, comparing a modern book you could read in 5 to 10 max compared to something from the eighties.

And how do you attract new readers at 3.99 an issue. Its more overpriced than the ultimate.

dream

They are terrible value. That's why I only read very selective titles based on how interesting I find the narrative to be.

Heart was genuinely good though, with an ending that rings very true for indie Ultimate Fighters.

TheNatural

My Member!
Magic Johnson just called RWB the worst pg he's ever seen play in an NBA finals game, what do you say friend?

how quickly people forget corporate Chamber abandoned mma-gaf a few months ago, and let's not bring up Natch's emo spell...

I think the more you follow a sport, the more inevitable being annoyed with it becomes.

Its not wrestling or boxing, so thats a positive.

Real brahs don't read 3.99 issues and take a stand against them. I purchase them in person, I do not feel shame and you can meet some great broads.

ShaneB

MMA-GAF: Are we going to ignore the gloomy behavior of our friends paying for their right to agony and go back to enjoying MMA? yes or not

It's time to draw a line in the sand before we lose our good friends Chamber, maklershed, ShaneB and many others who are hanging on by a thread.

It's nice to know you care, it means a lot!

TheNatural

My Member!
Question: which is better for the sport, guys like Wandy, Tito, Nogs, etc losing and being put into retirement OR winning just enough to keep being put in veteran vs. veteran fights?

ShaneB

Question: which is better for the sport, guys like Wandy, Tito, Nogs, etc losing and being put into retirement OR winning just enough to keep being put in veteran vs. veteran fights?

They should smarten up and retire before either happens. Go out on top and be proud of it.

TheNatural

My Member!
They should smarten up and retire before either happens. Go out on top and be proud of it.

Franklin is the bar bearer for retirement. He should just be put in a survivor style gauntlet to see which vet keeps their job.

Imagine 7f they made a TUF season out of them all.

dream

That's not possible though. It's such an ego driven sport. They can't go out on top because winning a fight makes them think they can win the next one. Shit, losing fights make them think they can win the next one too.

Unfortunately, most of these fighters need to be beaten to punchiness before someone will intervene and tell them it's over.

TheNatural

My Member!
That's not possible though. It's such an ego driven sport. They can't go out on top because winning a fight makes them think they can win the next one. Shit, losing fights make them think they can win the next one too.

Unfortunately, most of these fighters need to be beaten to punchiness before someone will intervene and tell them it's over.

Tito talks about his win over Bader like he beat a prime Chuck, Wandy, and Jones at the same time. Its hilarious.

dream

That's just the fighter mindset though. If he beats Forrest, he'll start thinking he's in the best shape of his career and talk about being primed for another run at the belt.

ShaneB

I know. They win one and think they can keep going. They lose one and want to try and get a win and retire on a win... but then they win, and think they can keep going... and it never ends.

They need to get beaten to a pulp before they realize they're done.

Kenflo's retirement was pretty solid, dude had a decent career, and is now great on the mic, so good for him.

dream

In all honesty, once I get past the selfishness of wanting to see him give Rory the nastiest Hilo rim job ever, I am kind of disappointed that BJ is coming back.

dream

How about Mary Shelley's Frankenstein? I've been on a Shelley kick lately ever since I discovered the NYPL Frankenstein Archives app for iPad (which my best frenemy scene should definitely check out).

No, not really...Vertigo titles suck now that DMZ has ended. I did see Brian Wood has some new title out called, like, The Massive or something, so I might check that out.

edit: sorry, that's a lie, the new Daredevil is cute
feel free to recommend stuff btw
Ya, I've been picking up a lot of the new indie stuff but it's too early to recommend anything. The only one I'm really loving is Rachel Rising. It's on issue 8; the trade collects 1-6.

I've been waiting for DMZ to end to read it, so looking forward to starting it soon. I have to get through the stack of trades I just bought first though (Locke and Key, American Vampire, Animal Man, and Wonton Soup).

Do you guys purchase funny books in person, yes/no?
I have been, yes. I go every Wednesday to browse and pick up my subs. It's the same shop/owner I went to as a kid, although I took a 20+ year break from shopping there. The Boys really got me back into comics. It's the only super hero book I've followed as an adult.

Thanks brah I'm an MFC fan/Ryan Jimmo fan/Titan FC/XFC fan. Ultimate is boring now.
You should post here more. :)

I liked Frankenstein in college; don't remember why.

I was looking for my copy of Fahrenheit after Bradbury died and couldn't find it, but found October Country, which is even better. I forgot I had this book.

Heel

I'm down for Frankenstein. Grabbing the app, looks neat.

I've been meaning to read Fahrenheit again too...read it in middle school but barely remember it. Never read October Country.

yaco, what were you thinking of as far as non-fiction goes?

It's a short story collection. Haven't read it in forever but I still remember some of the stories even after all these years. I dunno, I'll see soon whether I should have left my memories alone.

Top Bottom