• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Model viewers are more needed now than ever

nkarafo

Why so few devs have this:

Doom Eternal

maxresdefault.jpg

Resident Evil 8

400px-REVill-BSAA-Ber92FS-SE.jpg

Games nowadays have so much detail but you miss most of it because you never really have the time to inspect the models. You can gaze at the static environments but not at the 3D models, at least not the enemy models. This is especially true in FROM games that have all these amazing boss designs... But during battle i can only make out random shapes and limbs, there is no way to appreciate the designs during all the visual noise.

In DOOM you can even pause the game and move the camera around to inspect anything up close, which was pretty awesome. But other than ID and Capcom who else does this? Why is it that most don't? It's not hard, the models are already in the game.

Three

I loved the model viewer island for bosses in wind waker too.

Most games have photomode now.

Last edited:

Killer8

A lot of games coming out have a photo mode with a free cam now so even without a model viewer you can still ogle 3D models to your heart's content.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
It fucking kills me that Sony, who have spent all this money and RnD on developing a really fucking cool VR headset don't implement this sorta shit as a wee cool extra in their first party games to you know help sell or at the very least advertise their goddamn peripheral, let me pause the game/level and enter it in VR and walk around, god what id give to have a look around Naughty Dogs games or take a look at Horizon Forbidden Wests levels

Three

A lot of games coming out have a photo mode with a free cam now so even without a model viewer you can still ogle 3D models to your heart's content.
I like when the model viewer is somehow incorporated into the gameplay. For example in TLOU you have to unlock the models. In Wind Waker the figurine gallery you have to take pics of the models out in the wild to unlock its model viewer on the island. Just a simple photomode isn't as fun to me.

Last edited:
Why so few devs have this:

In DOOM you can even pause the game and move the camera around to inspect anything up close, which was pretty awesome. But other than ID and Capcom who else does this? Why is it that most don't? It's not hard, the models are already in the game.
I wouldn't say few. Photo mode is one of the most effective marketing tactics there is. Devs essentially get people to shill for free.

simpatico

Gold Member
I just want to be able to see the maps you find in Elden Ring. My god. I had to screen shot it, alt-tab and zoom in.

But yes, a model viewer and photo mode for Elden Ring would be the runner up GOTY this year behind Elden Ring.

What about VR model viewers. That’s such an obvious, cool and low cost use of VR. Let me see the main characters, enemies at scale, walk around a few locations…
This makes so much sense. I should be able to pause the game, throw on the VR headset and walk around and inspect whatever scene I'm in. Let me adjust the scale, manipulate objects, view some animations, etc.

Famipan

I love photo mode in Mad Max:
L3 + R3 and BAM! now you can fly around freely and look close upon models in game and move REALLY FAR AWAY to appreciate the environment too.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Honestly, id rather have models look that good during gameplay. ND games have had character models going back to uncharted 4, and they all look stunning in the character viewer where the gmae is rendering nothing other than the character model. But you boot up the game and all that detail goes away.

fuck that. give me something like Aloy with her hero lighting during gameplay or even callisto protocol. A third person game should not skimp on detail on the character models during gameplay.

F90Rx6OWIAEaZrP

F_d_nfnXAAEY8Zs

Top Bottom