• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MONACO |OT| What's yours is Mine, Garret

Zia

So tempted to grab this. It's really fun, but I had issues with readability and the aesthetics on a holistic level (definitely does not achieve what it sets out to do as well as, say, Hotline Miami).

clockpunk

To hell with this, I'm not getting anything done anyways, so... I can make it up next week! *realises Blood Dragon comes out then* ... or not... :p

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Was about to preorder and then I realized there is no mac version at Steam launch. Will wait.

B00TE

Totally forgot this released today. Just waiting for it to come up for download on Steam. :D

Might also grab it on XBLA so my friends can easily take part in the heists.

Atomski

Is the XBLA version going up today as well?

Nope..

Guessing its back to certification
We just discovered that there is an issue which requires that we push back our Xbox Live arcade game release date a little. We’ve already submitted an update to Microsoft to fix the problem, and as soon as we know that the issue is fixed we’ll have a new release date. I know our fans have been waiting a long time for the game, and hopefully they’ll have the patience to wait just a little while longer. What’s mine will be yours very, very soon!

- A note from Monaco

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
My review, for some GAFer flavor and to keep this hype train a-rollin:

It’s just within reach – the last sapphire in the whole damn warehouse. You watch The Redhead work her sultry moves to call a guard away from the safety of your potted plant cover in the corner. In a flash, the Cleaner pops out from the bathroom and holds an ether-soaked rag over the guard’s face as The Hacker plugs his laptop in to an outlet nearby. You make a break for the door to the final warehouse as his fingers dance over his keyboard. Your heart thuds with anticipation with each step towards the fingerprint scanner, the last luscious sapphire glistening from its regal perch just beyond. With a hum and a click, the door opens on its own while you mutter ‘open sesame’. The cool air of the sapphire’s container feels great against your sweat-soaked stealth black garb, dollar signs fill your head as you reach out with one hand to grab the gorgeous gem.

But greed gets the best of us all. The panel your foot sits on sinks, your stomach following its example. Alarms blast over every intercom and speaker for miles. Red emergency lights paint your crew’s faces with pure embarrassment. The Hacker’s fast fingers weren’t enough to replace fast legs. The Redhead’s talents drew too many suitors. The Cleaner attempted to evade automated turrets with all of the grace of a rabid gazelle soaked in KY Jelly and WD40. And your lockpicks only do so much against digital scanners and barred windows. You awake to find yourself in the infirmary of a high-security prison, chained to your bed with armed guard at the door while you wonder just how the hell it all went so wrong.

j54upyO.png

Monaco: What’s Yours is Mine is a love letter to those who get their kicks from the thrill of a big heist, which is to say that it hit all the right buttons with me. It holds plenty of depth and tricks up its sleeve and it’s a testament to the level design that the very same stages you can attempt to solo through also hold four stooges who want to hit it rich and still work just as well. Even more impressive is how adaptive each level is to differing playstyles. Between the eight classes available – The Locksmith, The Lookout, The Pickpocket, The Cleaner, The Mole, The Gentleman, The Hacker, & The Redhead – each one has its own unique ability which serves a crew of thieves very well in the midst of a job. The Cleaner is able to incapacitate guards and civilians. The Lookout can detect guards through the walls while she’s sneaking. The Mole can bore holes through every block in the map like some kinda coked up Gallagher, and so on.

Navigating a heist in Monaco may look confusing but after a few missions everything clicks. The style is clean and crisp with outstanding color choice and objects that are very well defined from one another in any given field. You’ll know when you’re navigating a vault compared to an underground walkway half submerged in water. Readability was a huge concern before I played, with all that is happening on screen I feared it may become difficult to follow. Thankfully this is not the case, the minimalist approach allows for vibrant looks without sacrificing your brain when it comes down to crunch time.

GEv5uFm.png

One of the most eye catching features is undoubtedly the vision cone system for player map awareness. In past stealth games the enemies had a defined cone of vision but never have we seen the tables turned on the player like this. Bits of the map are revealed and hidden, along with whatever dangers, based on where the player is located. So if you are backed up against a wall, you’d see what your character would realistically be able to see if they turned their head, but nothing behind the wall. This may feel a little unfair against you but the sound design of Monaco is more than up to the task of filling in the blanks. Footsteps have never been greater cause for a heart rate increase, and the jingle of a dog’s collar can go straight to hell.

When taking on the game solo you start off with your heister of choice and switch to a another upon dying. Once you’ve blown through four heisters, your crew is wiped and you’re whistling the jail bird blues. My crew usually consisted of The Gentleman, The Redhead, The Hacker and The Cleaner who in my head were played by George Clooney, Christina Hendricks, John Leguizamo and Randy Savage with a muzzle over his mouth respectively. Single Player values concentration and carefully planned moves above all else, since there’s only one person to save your bacon out there and that is you. Any good heister has a tool or two up their sleeve like a shotgun or tranquilizer crossbow. Some missions provide tools at the start, others make you scavange. You get limited uses based on how many gold bits (collectables found on each floor of a heist, in addition to the items you’re sent to steal) you’ve collected, which forces you to conserve your uses and plan around that.

GcStX0z.png

Multiplayer on the other hand was like a completely different game and is also where Monaco’s criminal genius really gets to shine. My crew, codenamed Team Chucklefuck, approached the game with several different angles and had a ton of fun no matter what we picked. Missions didn’t always go right, but we’d be damned if we didn’t get a laugh out of a spectacular failure. Trying to take the game as a serious stealth game led to some tense moments much like the single player but with 4 meat bags stuffed into a thin hallway instead of one. Cracking open a beer and playing more loosely led to some laughs whenever someone didn’t pay attention to a detail like the floor having an alarm panel or placing a block of TNT next to our only escape car like I so foolishly did. You can even treat the multi like a party game, making bold moves and mad dashes for loot in an attempt to speed through. Keep in mind that if you grab a gold bit, this robs your teammates of valuable tool uses. So if you play the pickpocket, you are off my crew.

Monaco: What’s Yours is Mine doesn’t take itself seriously and neither should you. There’s the awesome piano soundtrack that sounds like something that would back a slapstick silent film to room names in floor plans (”The Super Secret Hideout”, “The Not-So-Secret-Hideout”) and little details in the world like being able to play the piano or take a piss break in the bathrooms. Or the goofy french accents on everyone. Or the short but reference laden dialog. Through each of the game’s 33 levels I found myself constantly amazed at the new details and challenges it threw at my crew and I. Monaco’s like a glass of the gent’s scotch – great alone but better with friends. For those aiming for the next David Mamet film, there’s a place for you here. Those who’ll approach it like Zoolander trying to steal files off a computer? There’s a place for you too.

vidcons

Banned
Was reading that single-player is no good for this?

it's still pretty cool. let's you go through levels with a more focused approach. it's also really easy to find a match since they kick you out of multiplayer if you idle around in steam web browser, prevents a ton of matches with nobody there from filling up the server list.

coop is just mayhem and i haven't successfully done a stealthy mission with people yet because there is a ton of stuff going on. with the right group, could be pretty cool to speed run.

need 3 other peeps to help me SET THE LEADERBOARD RECORD on the first mission.

Quick question, is there any order levels should be completed in since you can unlock the 2nd story after a couple of levels.

Keep with the lockpick or move to that one?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Quick question, is there any order levels should be completed in since you can unlock the 2nd story after a couple of levels.

Keep with the lockpick or move to that one?

I'd say keep going with Act 1. Act 2 can only be unlocked by getting all the gold for two levels to unlock the next stage and is a different perspective on the heist which may spoil a twist that comes up.

clockpunk

Having an absolute blast with the XBLA version... though I haven't had any luck at finding a match to get one of the earliest achievements, I can safely say I will be spending a LOT of time in the game. All the characters can do everything, but each has a niche that is just a little quicker - and as the reviews are pointing out, time is everything!

If ever a game could make me feel like I was in the Pink Panther film, this is it. I cannot proffer enough praise its way. The music, the aesthetics, the handling... It all works, and it all works well.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Do we already know how much content the game has? SP + MP in hours?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Do we already know how much content the game has? SP + MP in hours?

33 stages in total, each one can take anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes with some shorter ones at the start. Also depends on how good you are at escaping. I have ~30 hours with solo SP and half stages done multi.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
33 stages in total, each one can take anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes with some shorter ones at the start. Also depends on how good you are at escaping. I have ~30 hours with solo SP and half stages done multi.

Up to 500 hours for one beta tester.

Oh wow, that sounds great. Thanks guys!

Top Bottom