• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MONACO |OT| What's yours is Mine, Garret

duckroll

So, does anyone else have this bug with making a private custom game? I create a custom game, set it to private, and I can't invite anyone into the game. If it's public, I can. So how do I get people into a private lobby???

----

Why are there no answers about the Mac version on Steam? It's being sold in other places.. so why the delay?

The Mac version isn't being sold anywhere. The non-XBLA version of Monaco is a Steam-only game. It uses Steam for the online functions. There is no Mac version available anywhere. It is not done yet. According to the developer it will be at least 4 weeks before it will be ready, but he can't promise that either. When it is ready it will be available for everyone who owns the game on Steam.

Is it really being sold and available to people today? The Mac version is in beta last i've heard.

Ah, well I just checked the developer's site (http://www.pocketwatchgames.com/Monaco/) and it lists a Mac version, whilst the Steam info just mentions PC.

So, does anyone else have this bug with making a private custom game? I create a custom game, set it to private, and I can't invite anyone into the game. If it's public, I can. So how do I get people into a private lobby???

----

The Mac version isn't being sold anywhere. The non-XBLA version of Monaco is a Steam-only game. It uses Steam for the online functions. There is no Mac version available anywhere. It is not done yet. According to the developer it will be at least 4 weeks before it will be ready, but he can't promise that either. When it is ready it will be available for everyone who owns the game on Steam.

Got it, thanks. I just couldn't find any information from the developer.
Already have the game on Steam, but it seems like a game that I'd rather have quick access to instead of needing to use Bootcamp.

daveo42

Banned
Glad to see this game finally coming out. Played it at PAXEast 2012 with a few people and had a blast with it. Didn't even know it was coming out today. I'll have to grab it when I get home tonight.

furfoots

It's kinda hidden. What you do is go to the next screen (where the story starts) then hit x for match options and you can invite from there.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Any of you with a 4-pack got a copy left? I got paypal. PM please

And singleplayer now confirmed fun?

Wok

I am stuck with the DirectX install every time I try to launch the game. Then the game does not launch.

Edit: If I try to directly launch the executbale, I get an error about x3daudio1_7.dll missing.

Edit: Updating DirectX.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Does anybody know if a 4 year old Dual Core 2ghz non-gaming laptop with mb gpu is likely to have pixel shader 3.0 and vertex shader 2.0 as is recommended?

I have never heard of these things, but this looks like a game I would like to play on my laptop as well.

How is the replayability in the levels? Will my friends and I want to play the levels over again after we beat them? And is there different difficulty settings?

Wok

To be able to launch the game, I went to:
Code:
C:\Applis\Steam\SteamApps\common\Monaco\_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010

Then, I copied two files (warning: do not take the files for 64 bits, even though your Windows is 64 bits)

1. X3DAudio1_7.dll from Feb2010_X3DAudio_x86.cab
  2. d3dx9_43.dll from Jun2010_d3dx9_43_x86.cab

to the following folder:

Code:
C:\Applis\Steam\SteamApps\common\Monaco

I still had to launch the game though Steam twice to get rid of an error message and be able to hear some sounds.

duckroll

Looking for people to try co-op with, add me on Steam. :3

http://steamcommunity.com/id/exmakina

Also, has anyone gotten a chance to try the in-game voice chat? Wondering if it's acceptable or if we should Mumble it up for online play...

You can set the voice chat to "push to talk" or "always on". I recommend "always on" because there's a stealth button which you have to hold to sneak in the game, and if you're pushing that down, having to push another button at the same time to talk can be annoying.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
You can set the voice chat to "push to talk" or "always on". I recommend "always on" because there's a stealth button which you have to hold to sneak in the game, and if you're pushing that down, having to push another button at the same time to talk can be annoying.

It's also done via Steam's voice options and the like, I had no trouble hearing any of my teammates. By default the voices were louder than the game even during the most hectic alarm blitzing piano smashing moments.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I was on the fence about purchasing. Little did I know the mac version was not even ready. My decision was made for me.

Kard8p3

So Im jumping into this blind, watched one little clip on steam and decided to buy, anyone on GAF up for playing sometime?

It takes a while to get its hooks in you because the first few levels are so simple and easy, but the madcap fun with multiple people really does work. Very hard to get a sense of it from screenshots or even footage. But I just spent ~3 hours playing it with a friend without noticing the time passing.

My friend who pre-ordered from the site itself months ago is not amused, (and rightfully so), he was under the impression that he'd be able to play it alongside us PC folk today.
Not commenting on this specifically but when you buy a Mac you know what you're getting into. You should be used to it by now.

Not commenting on this specifically but when you buy a Mac you know what you're getting into. You should be used to it by now.

At the time of preorder, it wasn't explicit that the Mac version would be potentially heavily delayed. I can understand his frustration.

"lol it's a mac" is not an excuse for bad communication, really. I imagine something as simple as a heads up on the main page's news feed would be beneficial for some.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
My friend who pre-ordered from the site itself months ago is not amused, (and rightfully so), he was under the impression that he'd be able to play it alongside us PC folk today.
That's exactly what I assumed up until today too.
What terrible logic. Quite a few games especially indie games have mac versions really early on in development.

naib

edit: -rant

Awesome game BTW. Bought a 4 pack and gifted it out to homies. Should be a fun night.

edit:
I've tried this with KB and 360 controller. I think it really needs analog control for maximum joy.
Just sayin'

just got done playing with some random folks online - all nice stand up gentlemen.

I loved every minute of it, the game is awesome and takes some great coordination and teamwork and is one of those magical experiences when it all comes together.

The game looks so confusing if you watch it, but when playing it, that all goes away, it all makes sense.

Rahk

Videos don't really do this game justice. Played a few missions in single player earlier, and it was enjoyable, but co-op is where it shines. Just played several missions in two player co-op and it was a lot more fun. Four players should be awesome.

Yeah, videos look confusing, but the game generally is not. It's like Dwarf Fortress or something; once you understand the symbology, you don't really think about it.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I think the only time I get confused is when all 4 players are standing in the exact same spot. It can be a little confusing to tell which guy is yours for a second after. It's amazing how the game can't translate well over video or image yet it clicks so well once you're finally playing it.

Salsa

played a bunch with a friend offline but man, trying to perfect levels with just 2 specialties get's tough

think i'll try to look for an online 4-player group

Naix

Banned
French voices are hilarious ! Was playing the boat level last night and I couldn't stop laughing. Sounds like a bunch of random dudes picked up on the street trying to do voice acting :D

Anyway, great game, only played solo so far but it's been a blast.

Top Bottom