• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Holy crap- just beat Gobul on my first try offline. I was literally down to my last minute and was about to just end it since I had completed the lantern subquest, and I beat him as the clock was winding down. So awesome.

Edit- what hammer path would people recommend right now? (in terms of materials, just got my first Gobul stuff, can now make the first Gobul hammer).

Kandinsky

Do every MH prior to this have the same incredible Monster animation this beast has?, this game is jawdroping awesome, especially in the animation department holy crap.

Anyways i got my full Qurupeco set including its SnS/Hammer(which i looove) and just beat Barroth for the first time (offline) took me a lot of time and items but i did it, yay me!

markatisu

Kandinsky said:
Do every MH prior to this have the same incredible Monster animation this beast has?, this game is jawdroping awesome, especially in the animation department holy crap.

I think all the Monster animations are new for MH Tri (or at least redone)

Van Owen

Banned
It seems like every time I complete an armor set I already got enough for the next best suit. Just completed my Barroth set and it's already time to switch to some Gobul pieces. :lol

I really hate my Barroth greatsword though. Thing gets dull after like five hits.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Still no ian plate. But I felt this image should appear on this page too.

Raptor%20Fall.gif

Tenbatsu

Niblet said:
Alright I finally made my Tusk lance+ now I need a complimenting lancing armor. I know all the greatness of having Barioth armor for Evade +, but what about Agnaktor for Guard and Guard Up? Any lancers have experience with those 2 skills and how useful they are especially in comparison to Evade+ (Stamina+ isnt as big a deal because I can chug dash juices).
Evade +1 =0.2s -> 0.33s invincible time
Evade +2 =0.2s -> 0.4s invincible time
Guard +1/2 = Strengthen your guard and prevent damage/push back while guarding.

demonkaze said:
How rare are Agnaktor Claws, i've fought like around 10 of them and only have 1 claw.
You got to break 4 claws to get them as rewards or you can dig the corpse.

Alex

Peco+ armor is great stuff. Finished my set, got my final tier of the para lance, makes for good duoing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Looking for one more for Hawkian's House of Disappointment, Wis1/40/2

EDIT: ALSKE IS MY GOOD LUCK CHARM OMG

Niblet

Hawkian said:
Looking for one more for Hawkian's House of Disappointment, Wis1/40/2

EDIT: ALSKE IS MY GOOD LUCK CHARM OMG
Congratz. Now you can finally make some halfway decent armo-- Dude at this point you should be making Rathalos armor :lol

NomarTyme

schuelma said:
Holy crap- just beat Gobul on my first try offline. I was literally down to my last minute and was about to just end it since I had completed the lantern subquest, and I beat him as the clock was winding down. So awesome.

Edit- what hammer path would people recommend right now? (in terms of materials, just got my first Gobul stuff, can now make the first Gobul hammer).
The iron hammer path! You probably using a shitty hammer with little to no green.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Niblet said:
Congratz. Now you can finally make some halfway decent armo-- Dude at this point you should be making Rathalos armor :lol

Nope, still need two wyvern claws.

I dunno what you mean by (fwoosh edit) "at this point." :p Just beat Gobul offline.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Getting stuck in the quest to capture a Lagiacrus in the Jungle. Its quickly approaching levels of "shit game design" in that mission by putting such a big fucking monster with a very wide attack ratio in such tiny spaces :\ Even if I had some better vision and not murky water and algae all over the place I would do a lot better, as it is right now its really hard to read his attack patterns.

Poyunch

Raging Spaniard said:
Getting stuck in the quest to capture a Lagiacrus in the Jungle. Its quickly approaching levels of "shit game design" in that mission by putting such a big fucking monster with a very wide attack ratio in such tiny spaces :\ Even if I had some better vision and not murky water and algae all over the place I would do a lot better, as it is right now its really hard to read his attack patterns.
I can understand the space issue but not the water problem. Also it shouldn't really be hard to read his attack pattern underwater (unless you had not been able to previously).

Kard8p3

It is with a very sad and heavy heart that I report this...the Y button on my CC Pro is getting stuck, and I've only had it since Tuesday :(.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, so I swear there was a modder in my group today. Dia and I were playing with two other people, and we started my 4* Urgent (Rathalos/Rathian). And we all started hacking away at Rathian, and she died in under three minutes. And the quest as a whole only took around eight minutes.

Something about that just seems...way, way off. There's no way we legitly killed Rathian in under three minutes. We were pretty sure that one of our party members who went by the name SETO was cheating. Couldn't prove it though.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
PounchEnvy said:
I can understand the space issue but not the water problem. Also it shouldn't really be hard to read his attack pattern underwater (unless you had not been able to previously).

In the Moga Woods with the clear water theres no issues, but I have a hammer and have to stay relatively close and whenever hes hogging a wall (which happens to be often, theres not much room) in the jungle swamp, I'm greeted to HUGE ALGAE TEXTURE ON MY SCREEN. Then he comes out of nowhere with the electric rush that takes half your health.

I do have to get better, but theres been a fair amount of bs in this fight.

Seraphis Cain said:
Okay, so I swear there was a modder in my group today. Dia and I were playing with two other people, and we started my 4* Urgent (Rathalos/Rathian). And we all started hacking away at Rathian, and she died in under three minutes. And the quest as a whole only took around eight minutes.

Something about that just seems...way, way off. There's no way we legitly killed Rathian in under three minutes. We were pretty sure that one of our party members who went by the name SETO was cheating. Couldn't prove it though.

Depending on the weapon, if you know what youre doing .. that sounds pretty legit, honestly

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Raging Spaniard said:
In the Moga Woods with the clear water theres no issues, but I have a hammer and have to stay relatively close and whenever hes hogging a wall (which happens to be often, theres not much room) in the jungle swamp, I'm greeted to HUGE ALGAE TEXTURE ON MY SCREEN. Then he comes out of nowhere with the electric rush that takes half your health.

Sounds like some better armor wouldn't hurt either. What are you using right now?

Also are you making sure to eat at the Canteen before every quest?

Niblet

Alright I decided on going with Agnaktor armor for my lancer because it suits me more. Now that I got my lovely Agnaktor set I notice something. It has a negative ability called Short Sprinter which makes running drain Stamina much faster. Ugh, but I'll cope. It also has this skill I'm ambivalent towards: Flaming Aura. The skill causes monsters to react as if you are holding a torch. "Oh gee, this sounds like it would be a nice skill to have." So far these are the reactions I have gotten:

Giggi - Don't try to jump on you. Not very useful.
Melynx - Do not attack you unless you hit them, just like Felynes. Useful because I hate my shock traps being stolen :D
Bnahabra - I have become the victim of a plague of biblical proportions. If you are playing with me and I'm using a lance, take comfort in knowing that the Bnahabra will make a bee line (eh, eh?) straight for me. Oh, Diablos is enraged and about to charge me? No problem let me just put up my shie--- ZZZT is the sound of me being paralyzed by a Bnahabra that exact moment.
So 1 positive result so far and 1 negative. Having to weight these I would say FUCK BNAHABRA but I'm not wasting a slot to remove this ability unless there are more negative monster reactions.

Hawkian said:
Nope, still need two wyvern claws.

I dunno what you mean by (fwoosh edit) "at this point." :p Just beat Gobul offline.
:lol Are you on right now? I'll give you the Wyvern Claw so I can finally see you in your Rathian glory

hatchx

Banned
Can someone give me some help?

I can't figure out two things:

1. Fishing
level one Goldenfish Quest....I can't seem to figure it out. I have bait, but how do I use it?

2. Trapping
level two trap the mother jaggi. I've used a ton of sleep grenades. What do I mix to make some good trapping materials?

Raging Spaniard

Yeah I logged a fair amount of hours into the PSP games, so I'm well versed in "being ready" Ive been getting a health and an attack boost, with another attack boost with decorations

Right now Im rocking the Ludroth set but Ive been meaning to get the Rathian set, however those plates are hard to come by, specially for a Hammer user :|

I think most of it is getting used to fighting underwater, as soon as the bitch goes on land I do a real good job.

hatchx said:
Can someone give me some help?

I can't figure out two things:

1. Fishing
level one Goldenfish Quest....I can't seem to figure it out. I have bait, but how do I use it?

2. Trapping
level two trap the mother jaggi. I've used a ton of sleep grenades. What do I mix to make some good trapping materials?

1. This one takes forever, cause often the fish arent there. You can fish with worms that you can dig out very close to the fishing area in Moga woods by the water. Basically check to see if theres any BIG yellow fish (the small ones wont do) and just lure and wait)

2. The quest gives you all the materials you need. Basically get the monster to limp back. It will go back to its nest and fall asleep. When it does set the trap net to it, wake it up (pressing "+" will kick, useful for times like these), when it falls into the trap hit it with 2 tranq bombs and it will pass out, giving you a successful capture. If two tranqs dont knock it out,it means it wasnt weak enough to capture yet.

Poyunch

Raging Spaniard said:

Depending on the weapon, if you know what youre doing .. that sounds pretty legit, honestly
Hmm maybe it's just me or my TV settings but I can see fine enough underwater. Also I guess I don't have to be as close as you since I normally use Switch Axes.
Kard8p3 said:
It is with a very sad and heavy heart that I report this...the Y button on my CC Pro is getting stuck, and I've only had it since Tuesday :(.
Had a similar issue when I found out my DSi's L button doesn't always want to work when I press it.

Raging Spaniard

Eh, itll work out eventually, I just needed to vent.

I was actually using the Switch Axe up till recently, but I dunno what combos actually do the best damage yet (so far Ive switched to blade from the get go and just spam the heavy atack button, with the "+" attack thrown in when I have a chance to hit it) So thats why I switched back to the hammer, cause I know exactly how to do maximum damage at all times.

Goldenfish are easy once you know how. Just make Goldenfish Bait (Snakebee Larva + Firefly).

All the other fish instantly swim away and Goldenfish swim in and go right for it.

Hiltz

Slayed Lagiacrus for the quest. A fairly intense battle with 14 minutes to spare on the clock.

The Volcano level looks sweet.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Been able to sink a bit more time into this in the last few days, I've just beaten the kill great jaggi / capture great jaggi quests of level 2. (Obviously I'm quite a beginner!)

Something I wasn't sure about with regards to capturing:

In the capture quest he limped off to the cave to go to sleep, where i accidentally woke him before setting the trap and from there he seemed to be moving around normally again. I smashed him over the head a few more times and he limped off again; which made me nervous as I didn't want to kill him and fail the quest. So, my question is - do the monsters regain health by limping off and going to sleep?

Poyunch

julls said:
Been able to sink a bit more time into this in the last few days, I've just beaten the kill great jaggi / capture great jaggi quests of level 2. (Obviously I'm quite a beginner!)

Something I wasn't sure about with regards to capturing:

In the capture quest he limped off to the cave to go to sleep, where i accidentally woke him before setting the trap and from there he seemed to be moving around normally again. I smashed him over the head a few more times and he limped off again; which made me nervous as I didn't want to kill him and fail the quest. So, my question is - do the monsters regain health by limping off and going to sleep?
Nope. You didn't have to make it limp again if it already was before.

selig

Banned
Is it normal that the Ludroth-armor is better than the steel-armor? I unlocked the steel-one later, so I thought it´d be better...and then I got one-hit killed by a Diablos :(

I'm getting this soon and I want to know, is the online population substantial, and is questing with random people generally easy or are they uninviting?

Remfin

julls said:
Yes, they do, but it's not like some kind of turbo regen--just don't let them sit forever. By the time the monster actually limps away they are usually fairly deep into capture HP so it's probably safe to just do it without hitting them, but one or two swings probably won't hurt.

The capture cues tend to disappear when they shift areas, but it still applies. If you wear capture guru armor you'll notice they tend to become capture-able a good deal before they ever show any real signs of it.

Awww, I didn't realize the Jhen quest would be over after a couple of days. I Didn't get my Dragon Gem -- it's the Pure Bladestone all over again, but without a happy end for me. :(
Well, at least for now. Before realizing that I could not do the event anymore I joined a Jhen featured server. We started the quest and I was thinking "Hu, I never noticed these companion ships before -- nice little touch". Then I noticed the different attack pattern and it became clear that I'm doing the complete fight here. The second part is just amazing and together with the first part an incredible showcase of Capcoms capability to handle the Wii the right way. The staging is absolutely on par with the best Nintendo has to offer.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
selig said:
Is it normal that the Ludroth-armor is better than the steel-armor? I unlocked the steel-one later, so I thought it´d be better...and then I got one-hit killed by a Diablos :(

You know, it's hard to say that a type of armor at that level is really better than any other. Really you should just get whatever armor is good for your play style/weapon. I used Qurupecco armor up until 3 star quests (and I probably could still use it, if I wanted.)

demonkaze

Tenbatsu said:
Evade +1 =0.2s -> 0.33s invincible time
Evade +2 =0.2s -> 0.4s invincible time
Guard +1/2 = Strengthen your guard and prevent damage/push back while guarding.

You got to break 4 claws to get them as rewards or you can dig the corpse.

What's the best way to go about breaking the claws and what weapon should you use? Been using the upgraded Spiral Lance for Agnaktor.

Also, on another note, what armour should I be looking at now that i'm in the Elite quests? Using a fully upgraded Yamato set and it seems to be working pretty well.

selig

Banned
sprsk said:
You know, it's hard to say that a type of armor at that level is really better than any other. Really you should just get whatever armor is good for your play style/weapon. I used Qurupecco armor up until 3 star quests (and I probably could still use it, if I wanted.)

alright.
but another thing that comes to mind:
I need "Advanced armor balls" or whatever they´re called in English, to upgrade my armor sets. The only place where I´ve seen them is the captain, who´d trade them against rare stuff. After almost 70 hours of playing, I have not seen a single rare stuff piece. Where do you get those?

Dreavus

selig said:
alright.
but another thing that comes to mind:
I need "Advanced armor balls" or whatever they´re called in English, to upgrade my armor sets. The only place where I´ve seen them is the captain, who´d trade them against rare stuff. After almost 70 hours of playing, I have not seen a single rare stuff piece. Where do you get those?

You generally get them when you kill big guys in the Moga Woods (not on a quest, just gathering resources). You can also get a few off of other things, like a *** commodity by killing a bigger-than-normal bnahabra.

Dreavus

The new event quest is pretty tough, and the drop rate on the "plans" seems really wonky. I managed to complete it five times today and only got 2 plans total (0, 0, 1, 1, 0), while my buddy got THREE in one run, and he wasn't even wearing a jaggi mask. I wish they'd share the wealth a bit more, considering how difficult this event is!

Top Bottom