• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Boney

Banned
Any tips for the 3* urgent? I´ve managed to complete it only once with a fellow group of hunters, and now that's my turn, I want to get it done as soon as posible. The damn Jhen keeps destroying our boat.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
GaimeGuy said:
It's luck, really. it's a 3% drop from the tail on low rank, 10% on high rank.

Note that you can ONLY get it from carving the tail of a rathian.

This is not true. I never got one from carving tail, it was in my quest rewards box for the online capture quest, after 23 captures.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Spent almost all day farming that Rathian tail and still no plate.

At least im getting rich with all those useless scales and shells.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, after I forge my armor I'll still have enough scales and webbing left over to build a really unique-looking Radio Shack.

Haunted

Just to confirm, the only way to get +materials is to play the online quests HR31 and up?

Because I just unlocked those (Jhen Moran fight = EPIC), but balancing online and offline quests was a huge part of the appeal for me. Not sure if I want to keep playing if I have to go online only in the future (all my weapon upgrade trees arrived at the point where +materials are needed).

Kyoufu

Haunted said:
Just to confirm, the only way to get +materials is to play the online quests HR31 and up?

Because I just unlocked those (Jhen Moran fight = EPIC), but balancing online and offline quests was a huge part of the appeal for me. Not sure if I want to keep playing if I have to go online only in the future (all my weapon upgrade trees arrived at the point where +materials are needed).

+ items are from G Rank, which is online only yes.

Haunted

Kyoufu said:
+ items are from G Rank, which is online only yes.
grrrr!

On a sidenote, why is the terminology G Rank? Guy at the counter said Elite Hunter/Elite Quests. Something from the previous Monster Hunter games?

Haunted said:
grrrr!

On a sidenote, why is the terminology G Rank? Guy at the counter said Elite Hunter/Elite Quests. Something from the previous Monster Hunter games?
It's the original name used for the 2nd level online only quests, later used by Capcom to describe the JP version of the international MH, that added the dual swords (which weren't in the JP version) as well as the color variant raths.

Niblet

Hawkian said:
Yeah, after I forge my armor I'll still have enough scales and webbing left over to build a really unique-looking Radio Shack.
What do you mean "after", you STILL don't have all the materials yet? :lol :lol :lol
I extended an offer last night and it still stands. Come and find me.

Haunted

MickeyKnox said:
It's the original name used for the 2nd level online only quests, later used by Capcom to describe the JP version of the international MH, that added the dual swords (which weren't in the JP version) as well as the color variant raths.
Interesting, thanks.

_bluemoon

Longswords are awesome. I never use block much anyway, so the agility + power (+ paralysis on this one) is much appreciated.

Have failed the capture barroth quest so many times. Trapped too early the first 2 times, then the last 3 times we've killed it because the trap holder has left it too late (despite comments like "who has the trap?", "it's a capture quest remember" etc. etc.)

dsister44

Im so annoyed i missed a week of online hunting. now the rest of PAL gaf is ahead of me. Faust, if your reading, do you now hang out in the expert servers? cos everytime and try and warp to you it says HR mismatch:(

twas a good night tonight tho, don't think i did too badly taking on uraguaan for the first time. There were a couple of rocky moment like 'jesus christ this thin moves fast' and 'what the hell, this guy can eject sleeping gas ??!?

still we took it down in then end, and it was awesome. We will have to arrange a big raid night like before :D hope to see you guys tommorow night

btw faust, if you have to leave mid raid i'd advise running to an area with normal termerature so that you don't die as soon as the cool drink runs out:lol

d0c_zaius

I think i've hit the "played to much MH" line, or maybe its the high rank grind mid 30s, or the 140 hour mark.

Grinding for 3% drops....
Fighting the same stuff...
Online player pet peeves... (hint: theres more than one way to play the game)

I think I OD'd on MH3 compared to the earlier versions.
Well the launch week and week after were magical:D

I feel like I have to get to 40 before Red Dead comes out heh.

Korigama said:
I make sure to whenever he's enraged, but I don't always have time to if I'm too close when he uses it (I usually just eat one anyway when there's not enough distance).

Hmm, alright, I'll just have to work on timing my evades then (wasn't aware of just how much ground it could cover, either). Thanks.

Sounds like I'd have to be right up on him for walking to the left or right to work, but I'll keep it in mind.

If you're right up in his face, you can time a guard advance with his first hop and you'll get right behind him. Then you can just walk around him until he's done. If he only does 2, you wouldn't have to walk around at all to avoid getting tagged...but there's no real way of knowing how many he does (at least I didn't notice anything).

That's just how I go about it anyways. Right now I'm playing with a friend using msn to communicate, game's taken almost 40 hours of my life through casual play alone.

L00P

Korigama said:
Sounds like I'd have to be right up on him for walking to the left or right to work, but I'll keep it in mind.

It'll also work even if he is far away. It looks like he's homing at you, but he's just really locking on the spot that you're standing on. Just make sure to keep the camera focused on him and go to his side like you're trying to circle around him. It's 100% fool-proof!

d0c_zaius said:
I think i've hit the "played to much MH" line, or maybe its the high rank grind mid 30s, or the 140 hour mark.

Grinding for 3% drops....
Fighting the same stuff...
Online player pet peeves... (hint: theres more than one way to play the game)

I think I OD'd on MH3 compared to the earlier versions.
Well the launch week and week after were magical:D

I feel like I have to get to 40 before Red Dead comes out heh.
Let me know if you'll be on today, I'll join in on some hunts.

thefro

Just killed Royal Ludroth offline... need to play this more. So pretty far behind most of you. :lol

I found him a lot easier than the Qurupeco.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Bisnic said:
Here's a tip for looking for monsters that dont have a paintball on them : Bring Cha-cha with his fluffy mask and use his signal (+ on the menu), and the monster will show up on the map for a short time.

Sure he dont attack with this mask, but his damage sucks anyway, and he still can heal & buff you.
I had no idea you could even do anything with him! Thanks :)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Re: qurupecco and lances

1. Try to stay just far nough in front of him to hit him in the beak, if he's singing you can move in for his chest and you'll be outside the range fir his explosion move.

2. Fire clap combo -- shield dash under his legs and you'll completely dodge it. He can't turn all the way around. OR walk to the side, he'll miss you, take shorter dashes and you'll be able to hit him more.

3. Hitting him in the face while he's in the air will almost always cause him to fall.

4. His softest point for lances is his chest. You're a lancer, be a man and always face him from the front.

Boney

Banned
So my brother's been playing the game recently, and he just encountered a Rathian in the Capture a Qurupeco quest. That's pretty messed up.

Bisnic

Boney said:
So my brother's been playing the game recently, and he just encountered a Rathian in the Capture a Qurupeco quest. That's pretty messed up.

You think that's messed up? I met a Gobul while trying to capture Lagiacrus.

Alex

Qurupecco is a mimic. He will randomly summon anything from a pack of Melynx to a Rathian to a Deviljho in higher ranks. Just use a dung bomb on one to cause it to relocate, if you're limited on them pick the weaker one so you're not met with as much resistance to the effects.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
anyone willing to help me with the 2* urgent quest? Just tell me your name or what server/city/gate I should go.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
So my gf has taken over my mh. She started an SNS character and has killed/capped great jaggi in her single player a few times. We went on the SHABBY co-op missions and she actually died less than me (I'm 43 or so hr and have played all of the mh's so far.) She's actually enjoying the game which is so cool to watch. Have to say she always finds a way to get interested in what i'm into and she pretty much rocks.

Just wish i could play my file..

Tenbatsu

demonkaze said:
What skills/armor would you suggest for a lance user (most of the time). Sometimes use hammer and LS as well.
It depends on your playing style actually. In general:
Lance - Guard Boost, Guard +, Resist wind, Constitution, Evade Distance, Mind's Eye, Razor Sharp

Hammer/LS - Focus (Shorten hammer charge time and shorten LS gauge fill time)

Hiltz said:
Does the game feature any more of those unlockable "Life" videos ?

I've only seen the Quropeco, Barroth and Gobul ones.
Only one more for Uragan if I remember correctly.

Hawkian said:
This is not true. I never got one from carving tail, it was in my quest rewards box for the online capture quest, after 23 captures.
You can get from carving tail.

markatisu said:
Can you still get Jaggi heads or was that the event only thing? I need 1 more
Event only, you will have to wait, it will come back again.

Luigiv said:
You mean when it flips upside down? Guess that means I need to keep going for the head (though I'm not sure I'll get enough openings before I kill it outright). Would using a gun make things any easier?
Not really, that bugger doesn't expose his belly much. Maybe while he is spitting venom while hanging from the ceiling you can let him eat a few crag or clust.

blackflag

Do connection errors happen often? Was just playing with some guys, don't know if they were Gaffers, and near the end of 2 different quests, we both disconnected.

been a few hours now since i searched for members for my 5* urgent.

i was able to find a city with the same quest as mine. we killed alatreon, now when it was my turn, he just said he has to go in a few minutes.

i was like "okay cool glad to help", but... what the hell man! this just blows.

any gaffer here who can help out?

im still waiting at greed 1/gate 9/city 17

Bisnic

Does snuggling the pig really improve my chances at loot? I've been reading this in some forums and been wondering if it's true.

But everytime i try to snuggle it, it gets mad at me and run away. :(

Bisnic said:
Does snuggling the pig really improve my chances at loot? I've been reading this in some forums and been wondering if it's true.

But everytime i try to snuggle it, it gets mad at me and run away. :(

First I've heard about the pig having any affect on loot. As for snuggling it successfully, watch for an exclamation point to appear, then tap "a" (I think) right away to make it happy. It's another timing mini game.

JRPereira

I'd love to know once and for all (maybe an organized NeoGAF effort?) whether snuggling the pig does anything. We should set up an easy quest and get everyone to equip the same gear and just repeat it a few hundred times with everyone logging their results (maybe 10 tries per player with pig, 10 times without).

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Just connected and did my first online quests in the game.

Oh my God.

Too bad me and my friends can't hook up for local multiplayer like we did in the PSP though. Hopefully we'll get Freedom 3 soon.

JRPereira said:
I'd love to know once and for all (maybe an organized NeoGAF effort?) whether snuggling the pig does anything. We should set up an easy quest and get everyone to equip the same gear and just repeat it a few hundred times with everyone logging their results (maybe 10 tries per player with pig, 10 times without).

I would contribute to put this mother-fucker to rest once and for all.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I really Really want to get into gunning. I tried it out and I really like it, but the only things holding me back from diving in are-

-Having to make/upgrade a completely new set of gear.
-Not knowing which 3 pieces are the best to make.

Also the ammo system seems a bit hard to just jump into. I don't know which ammo do the best damage; which what the combinations are; what ammo I should have for my current level.

Its all a bit scary to just get into.

JRPereira said:

A simple google search would answer it. It increases your chance at getting an extra reward item in Freedom and it does here as well.

Hiltz

Didn't have much time to play today.

What a relief to finish the offline powder stone quest since I failed it 4 times. Uragaan roared twice which broke it, an insect attacked my characters leg in area 1 which resulted in the stone dropping , and the stone exploded right before I could place it in the red box). It was so frustrating.

I found 3 mysterious charms from mining. However, one of the failed attempts made me lose 2 ruststones which I hear is rare.

Owzers

Defintely want to farm Peco + for his wide-range armor skill...armor...for when i use sword/shield.

Also tried a new weapon with my Jhen Armor ( fast charge), a Red Wing Great Sword. It was fun though there were no tails to cut off ( used it on peco and great jaggi). Next i want a hammer.

sjt333

Is there an easier way to get a jumbo pearl instead of waiting for bone piles to spawn?

E: Found some not long after I posted:lol

Bisnic

I snuggle the pig once and i get the rathian plate in my quest rewards. :lol

I have no idea if it's a coincidence or not, but after spending all day killing its ass, it feels good to move to other monsters.

Top Bottom