• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

demonkaze

I did the event twice, first run gave me two plans while the second run gave me the other three plans, all of which were without the Jaggi mask. Now I just need two Rath Marrows . . .

dsister44

sprsk said:
You know, it's hard to say that a type of armor at that level is really better than any other. Really you should just get whatever armor is good for your play style/weapon. I used Qurupecco armor up until 3 star quests (and I probably could still use it, if I wanted.)

i'm going through 3* quests online and i'm takaing on diablos/barrioth offline and i'm still in qurupeco, just becasue i love the skill set I can have :lol :lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man, I must've done the event quest like five times today. Got all the plans I needed for the lance AND the upgrade (you need 11 total if you want to upgrade too). It's also really good for money and HR points as well.

Korigama

After attempting to hunt a Qurupeco in Moga Woods, I realized that I had no idea how to approach killing one with a Lance efficiently (granted, having to deal with Jaggis, Jaggias, Ludroths, and Melynxes distracting me between zones didn't help). The lack of mobility is a problem when it starts with the fire-clapping, especially given the fact that blocking it still shaves off a bit of health and the counter (much to my surprise) just doesn't work against it. I finally managed to kill it, but it took me at least three times as long as anytime I went with a Switch Axe instead, with far too many items used up along the way.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
What hammer line would people recommend? I just beat the Great Baggi and could go a number of different ways.

Killed Rathalos yesterday, I went for Uragaan to see his attack patterns, I managed to cut his tail but no more, I just went to see what he was like, without anything to help me. It's basically Barroth version 2 ^^

Korigama said:
After attempting to hunt a Qurupeco in Moga Woods, I realized that I had no idea how to approach killing one with a Lance efficiently (granted, having to deal with Jaggis, Jaggias, Ludroths, and Melynxes distracting me between zones didn't help). The lack of mobility is a problem when it starts with the fire-clapping, especially given the fact that blocking it still shaves off a bit of health and the counter (much to my surprise) just doesn't work against it. I finally managed to kill it, but it took me at least three times as long as anytime I went with a Switch Axe instead, with far too many items used up along the way.

When he does that attack put your weapon away and run.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Just lost the Qurupeco Sandy Plains fight cos i ran out of time and got greedy trying to kill both him and the Great Jaggi. Then I forgot to paintball it, it flew away and I ran out of time looking for it :( He didn't actually manage to land any hits on me either. Oh well - back to it tomorrow.

The one thing that really strikes me is the quality of the animation - coming round the corner seeing the Qurupeco walking around head bobbing like a chicken made me smile... They all come off like real creatures, which is quite an achievement. I think the difficulty of camera control in the PSP one was a bit of a barrier to me getting really into the game, becuase having the dual analog control in this one is making it far more intuitive and enjoyable.

ShinNL

Kyuuketsu_Night said:
Nope, you look left (or right), hop back & poke and follow it's rhythm (2 or 3 times) like that. Don't forget that the lance is actually quite mobile, you just have to move differently (up to 3 times hopping/sidestepping, 3 times backward hopping is actually faster than most weapons for traveling while unsheathed)

Luigiv

Soneet said:
Nope, you look left (or right), hop back & poke and follow it's rhythm (2 or 3 times) like that. Don't forget that the lance is actually quite mobile, you just have to move differently (up to 3 times hopping/sidestepping, 3 times backward hopping is actually faster than most weapons for traveling while unsheathed)
:eek: you're posting again Soneet! I thought we had lost you forever.

Well anyway. Anyone have any tips on breaking Gigginox's body? I can break it's head fine but the body is a bit hard to reach. Been using a Peco Flint. I need that Fearsome Maw!

Fistwell said:
Attention EU hunters
Need 3* hunters, recruiting, wisdom1, gate40, city40. Look for Selenae and Faust!!
Thx for the help guys (Faust, Ozoko). Faust, i only need the uragaan capture to get the jehn urgent. I'll be back on later on.

ShinNL

Luigiv said:
:eek: you're posting again Soneet! I thought we had lost you forever.

Well anyway. Anyone have any tips on breaking Gigginox's body? I can break it's head fine but the body is a bit hard to reach. Been using a Peco Flint. I need that Fearsome Maw!
Hehe, sorry, I've been really busy so I couldn't hang on GAF much. Only fought Giginox twice so I don't know much about it yet :p

I'm having a blast with Tri but if I want to play with other GAF people I really need to finish that online thing, but it's really not working out with my current school project (which I have to put my priority on T_T)

AU can play with EU people now right? So we can connect later on :D?

PS. Wii Speak kind of sucks xD
USB keyboard is so much more useful for this game.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
julls said:
Just lost the Qurupeco Sandy Plains fight cos i ran out of time and got greedy trying to kill both him and the Great Jaggi. Then I forgot to paintball it, it flew away and I ran out of time looking for it :( He didn't actually manage to land any hits on me either. Oh well - back to it tomorrow.

Here's a tip for looking for monsters that dont have a paintball on them : Bring Cha-cha with his fluffy mask and use his signal (+ on the menu), and the monster will show up on the map for a short time.

Sure he dont attack with this mask, but his damage sucks anyway, and he still can heal & buff you.

blackflag

So tired, stayed up until 3:45. Got all pieces of Rathalos armor and upgraded one of my hammers to red bludgeon. Then my son wakes me up at 6 haha serves me right.

Zozobra

Urrrrgh, I've tried the offline Qurupeco hunt a few times now and it seems like I can't kill the damn thing! I've currently got the Commander's Dagger but I am slashing at this thing forever and it doesn't seem to want to die.

I haven't been able to find any sort of resource that tells me what level of weapon I want to have for a particular quest, so I'm wondering if the CD is too weak to be using for this monster?

Tenbatsu

demonkaze said:
What's the best way to go about breaking the claws and what weapon should you use? Been using the upgraded Spiral Lance for Agnaktor.

Also, on another note, what armour should I be looking at now that i'm in the Elite quests? Using a fully upgraded Yamato set and it seems to be working pretty well.
Hammer will be a good choice for breaking the claws.

You should start mixing your armor in Elite quest with charms as trying to get full armor set is a total waste of time when you can mix and match to get the exact skills easily. What's more the skills for full set armor are usually not that great.

Saya said:
Can you only get plans from the arena event quest or also the gobul one?
Arena event quest only.

Luigiv said:
Your best chance is when it stagger and expose its belly.

Zozobra said:
I haven't been able to find any sort of resource that tells me what level of weapon I want to have for a particular quest, so I'm wondering if the CD is too weak to be using for this monster?
The CD is good enough. Try hitting its head/belly to speed things up.

markatisu

Zozobra said:
Urrrrgh, I've tried the offline Qurupeco hunt a few times now and it seems like I can't kill the damn thing! I've currently got the Commander's Dagger but I am slashing at this thing forever and it doesn't seem to want to die.

Nope I killed tons of them with the CD, have you tried shield bashing it when you knock it down. Also hit it from behind a lot for some easy hits, its simple enough to take down after you get used to it you just have to get keep at it

I am online now if anyone wants to do anything! Send me a message in-game!

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

demonkaze

Tenbatsu said:
Hammer will be a good choice for breaking the claws.

You should start mixing your armor in Elite quest with charms as trying to get full armor set is a total waste of time when you can mix and match to get the exact skills easily. What's more the skills for full set armor are usually not that great.

Arena event quest only.

The CD is good enough. Try hitting its head/belly to speed things up.
What skills/armor would you suggest for a lance user (most of the time). Sometimes use hammer and LS as well.

Uragaan bit the dust at my first real try...he's easy with a S&S Royal Claw+ as his belly is reachable and thus attacks don't bounce off. I can now finally hunt Agnaktor, I want a fire Lance. Or maybe I'll to repel Caedeus first.

Hiltz

Does the game feature any more of those unlockable "Life" videos ?

I've only seen the Quropeco, Barroth and Gobul ones.

Luigiv

Soneet said:
AU can play with EU people now right? So we can connect later on :D?
Yep, confirmed that myself as soon as I got online :D.

Tenbatsu said:

You mean when it flips upside down? Guess that means I need to keep going for the head (though I'm not sure I'll get enough openings before I kill it outright). Would using a gun make things any easier?

L00P

Korigama said:

When he does that fire clap and you're right in front of him, just walk to the left or right side. He will completely miss you. You don't even need to evade or put away your weapon!

Erm can someone tell me if Ceadeus, the first time you try to repel him, keeps his damage from quest to quest ? I know he does when you take the quest for killing him, but I ask only for the Urgent quest. I failed to route him into Area 3 on my first try so it would be cool if I didn't have to do the damage I already did again.

Neo C.

Thanks slaughterking for your help. :)
Without you and the friend of mine, the Barroth would kick my ass like there's no tomorrow.

after hoarding some mega potions and lifepowders from the bloodsport event, i'm now doing the 5*urgent. ugh this fcker is a beast with its dragon charge if it hits you.

Bisnic

Is there any trick for getting a Rathian Plate? I've been killing, capturing, wounding its head, cutting its tail... everything. I've got over 40 shells, over 20 scales & webbings in my item box and still 0 plates. I want my complete set dammit!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Bisnic said:
Is there any trick for getting a Rathian Plate? I've been killing, capturing, wounding its head, cutting its tail... everything. I've got over 40 shells, over 20 scales & webbings in my item box and still 0 plates. I want my complete set dammit!
It's luck, really. it's a 3% drop from the tail on low rank, 10% on high rank.

Note that you can ONLY get it from carving the tail of a rathian.

Edit: Story time.

So I was helping out a guy on like HR5 get up to HR9. We were doing the goldenfish quest in the flooded forest.

Anyways, we spend like 10 minutes fishing in the camp before I remember that goldenfish are in area 4 :lol

We go there, I fish out 3 goldenfish, and then a royal ludroth shows up to ruin our fun. We fight it for a while, then it goes to area 2, and we resume fishing. of course, about a minute later, the ludroth comes back to terrorize us and jumps into the sea. I tell my partner "You fish, I'll take care of the ludroth."

I spend the rest of the time taking care of the ludroth (it was pretty late, so my battle technique was pretty bad at the time :lol). With about 5 minutes left, my partner shows up to help finish it off. We finish it off, and I type "loot and GTFO." as we loot the corpse.

We get back to camp with 2 minutes to spare. I reach camp before him, and when he arrives, I'm standing by the red box doing the "Cheer" gesture for him to complete his delivery.

He stands, motionless. I continue doing the cheer, assuming that he's just making it dramatic.

With 30 seconds left, he kicks me, then types out "**** luck"

With 2 seconds left, I type out "WAT"

"QUEST FAILED"

:lol :lol :lol

We then did the "Hunt a Royal Ludroth" mission for revenge. And it was oh so sweet :D

I love this game.

argh this sucks. got connection error in the middle of alatreon!

i'm watching mh3 commercials now in youtube and this hunter guy is funny. takes my mind off of my pending 5*urgent

Bisnic

GaimeGuy said:
It's luck, really. it's a 3% drop from the tail on low rank, 10% on high rank.

Note that you can ONLY get it from carving the tail of a rathian.

I almost feel like just cutting its tail and abandon the quest after that until i get a plate if you can never get one from quest rewards..

selig said:
Anyone care to give general advice for killing Diablos? I dont feel like going in there again just like that :p
Use sonic bombs when he digs himself into the ground. Use flash bombs to blind him. Use traps to immobilize him. Don't bother attacking him when he is in rage mode.

Saya

Bisnic said:
I almost feel like just cutting its tail and abandon the quest after that until i get a plate if you can never get one from quest rewards..

You can get it from the quest rewards too, but you have to capture the Rathian and not kill it. That's how I got mine. Same goes for the Rathalos plate I think.

Edit: you can also find the plate as a shiny drop when the rathian or rathalos eats one of those herbivore monsters

Korigama

Kyuuketsu_Night said:

I make sure to whenever he's enraged, but I don't always have time to if I'm too close when he uses it (I usually just eat one anyway when there's not enough distance).

Soneet said:

L00P said:
When he does that fire clap and you're right in front of him, just walk to the left or right side. He will completely miss you. You don't even need to evade or put away your weapon!

Hmm, alright, I'll just have to work on timing my evades then (wasn't aware of just how much ground it could cover, either). Thanks.

Sounds like I'd have to be right up on him for walking to the left or right to work, but I'll keep it in mind.

Leezard

Saya said:
You can get it from the quest rewards too, but you have to capture the Rathian and not kill it. That's how I got mine. Same goes for the Rathalos plate I think.

Edit: you can also find the plate as a shiny drop when the rathian or rathalos eats one of those herbivore monsters
I just killed Rathian for the tenth time, and I finally got a plate, so it's not just from capturing.

This site is great for seeing where you can get items.

LaneDS

So I picked this up yesterday with two of my friends and we're all entirely new to the series. How long would you recommend complete MH beginners to mess with the offline mode before trying online? We managed to down a Great Jaggi last night but it took pretty much our entire stock of consumables to do so, and we had next to no clue with how to catch one this afternoon (EZ Shock Trap + Tranq bombs once wounded?).

Just sort of feels like maybe we should be playing offline until a certain point of familiarity before trying anything like hunting one of the Royal Ludroths.

Any suggestions are totally welcome.

Leezard

LaneDS said:
So I picked this up yesterday with two of my friends and we're all entirely new to the series. How long would you recommend complete MH beginners to mess with the offline mode before trying online? We managed to down a Great Jaggi last night but it took pretty much our entire stock of consumables to do so, and we had next to no clue with how to catch one this afternoon (EZ Shock Trap + Tranq bombs once wounded?).

Just sort of feels like maybe we should be playing offline until a certain point of familiarity before trying anything like hunting one of the Royal Ludroths.

I believe a good point would be when you can kill a Barroth or a Royal Ludroth.

You can catch something by waiting until it limps and then trap it with a Shock Trap. While shocked, you throw 2 Tranq bombs on it, doesn't matter where as long as you hit in my experience.

markatisu

LaneDS said:

Get the 1st and 2nd * done offline and you can go online with some ease

I went online after finishing 1* so it's not too hard to make the jump

Top Bottom