• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

markatisu

Brazil said:
So... Anyone on NA wants to help me with the Barroth urgent quest? I'm kind of stuck in it, and don't seem to be able to find a good group of randoms to complete it.

You going to be on tonight?

markatisu

Brazil said:
Probably will.

If you are online tonight, just look me up (TYDHLQ) ISUMark and I can help you out

btw I am in need of 1 Rathian plate, and I know how frustrating that can be so if anyone wants to help me tonight I would appreciate it

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Soneet, the app looks great! Awesome job!

Can't wait to hunt tonight.

I am down for absolutely anything, and I can kick Rathian's ass HARD since my upgrades and the 27 times I have already fought it, so I'm happy to help you mark. What time do you think you'll be on (Assuming you're NA, I'm EST)

Disguises

Wow...that Rathalos took longer than expected! Brought my fire element weapon with me by accident. Missed both paintballs. He fell into Cha-cha's trap and I wasted both tranq bombs thinking he would go down then. Spent the rest of the time looking for him. He was limping around for a good 20 minutes. Also learned he sleeps in area 6 (I think?) of the volcano. You can definitely tell the difference if you bring the right (or wrong) type of weapon with you to a monster!

Right...lessons learned....time to try again! I wants my plate! :(

I just got this a couple of days ago, and still working on single player (on 1 star quests). At what point can I expect to be able to join online games and not be a liability for most players?

Got a question for you MH vets!

Tri is my first MH.

I'm wondering exactly what is the best way to tackle this game as far as progression.

What I've done so far is do all Lv1 and 2 quests in offline.

Then I've started doing the Lv1 online quests while occasionally working on a Lv3 offline quest here and there.

Is there a "best way" to progess in this game? Should I be sticking either to offline or online or does jumping back and forth hinder anything?

Also, is Arena worth doing? If so, how do I add this to my progression?

Right now I'm only HR3.

Thanks so much in advance. Freaking LOVE this game. Convinced a friend to buy it already haha.

Right now I'm only HR3.

Thanks so much in advance. Freaking LOVE this game. Convinced a friend to buy it already haha.
My opinion is that the arena is worth doing, mostly because some of the special event quests are very similar to arena quests and if you're already familiar with things like fighting in the underwater arena, those event quests will be much easier.

Also, it's a decent way of maximizing your boss fighting time if you just feel like whacking at a boss for 100% of a twenty minute playing session.

KittenMaster said:
I just got this a couple of days ago, and still working on single player (on 1 star quests). At what point can I expect to be able to join online games and not be a liability for most players?
There is something wrong with any player that expects a HR1 player to know all the ropes. That said, you can make your life significantly easier by having a keyboard.

Ridley327

Tri is my first MH.

I'm wondering exactly what is the best way to tackle this game as far as progression.

Then I've started doing the Lv1 online quests while occasionally working on a Lv3 offline quest here and there.

Is there a "best way" to progess in this game? Should I be sticking either to offline or online or does jumping back and forth hinder anything?

Right now I'm only HR3.

Since progress for your character carries over in both modes, there's no reason not to dabble in both. Offline is great for being able to use the farm and the hunting fleet, as most of the items that can be found there aren't so easy to nab online. Online is definitely a must, though; there's a ton of content you won't be able to access otherwise.

markatisu

Hawkian said:

Can't wait to hunt tonight.

I am down for absolutely anything, and I can kick Rathian's ass HARD since my upgrades and the 27 times I have already fought it, so I'm happy to help you mark. What time do you think you'll be on (Assuming you're NA, I'm EST)

Sweet, yeah I am NA.

I will be on probably around 7 or 8pm CST (so 8-9 your time)

I am up for anything as well, my goal is to get that Rathian plate, 2nd goal is to get more Baggi parts, and lastly to increase my HR (I am HR15 and need to get to HR17 I think to open the 2* Urgent and move on)

I dabble back and forth, I use online to earn money and fight bigger monsters than I am able to offline (since 1* online does not correspond exactly to 1* offline)

Offline is easier to learn the monsters since they are weaker, once you get their patterns you can hop online and take them out without being a risk to your party.

You can also farm stuff easier offline since you can either do small quests on the different places or just jaunt into the forest to gather things like Honey, Herbs, etc.

selig

Banned
Wow, had a great group. Killed my first Agnaktor today...and then my second one right after :D What I dont get is why he´s higher up on the quest-list than Urugaan. Still have to kill my first one, but got close today.

Ridley327

I'd have to imagine it's because of its rather unique gimmick with the skin cooling and the fact that he has a lot of health compared to most boss monsters.

There is something wrong with any player that expects a HR1 player to know all the ropes. That said, you can make your life significantly easier by having a keyboard.
I joined a quest where these guys were trying to catch a large monster, but my weapon did no damage and I died in about two hits.

I was more or less wondering about when my character will be strong enough for most online quests rather than the learning curve (which I seem to be getting pretty well).

Boney

Banned
Talwind said:
Gobul Lantern+

What. The. Fuck.

This game is trying to break me. 25 High Rank Gobuls and not one lantern+.
You do realize you have to break the lantern right? Or else there's 0% chance of recieving it.

Ridley327

KittenMaster said:
I joined a quest where these guys were trying to catch a large monster, but my weapon did no damage and I died in about two hits.

I was more or less wondering about when my character will be strong enough for most online quests rather than the learning curve (which I seem to be getting pretty well).

I think that the preferred level of experience that players tend to gauge newcomers is unlocking the 3* quests offline. By that point, you should have some decent armor and weapon loadouts and you'll also have a pretty good idea of what to expect from the hunts.

KittenMaster said:

If you want to look good when you're online, you'll probably want to do the offline version of a monster first. General rule of thumb is that the low rank town version will do something like 50% more damage. Maybe more. If you're less concerned about looking good, then you should just accept the fact that if you're learning to fight a monster in online mode, you will probably die a lot.

If your armor is barely saving you in offline mode and you're getting hit a lot, you'll probably want to upgrade your equipment.

oracrest

Tri is my first MH.

Right now I'm only HR3.

Playing online is more than just the offline with some more players thrown in. The fact that the wyverns alternate their attention between the different players add an entirely new element of strategy. You can get into crucial spots (tail, head) a lot easier using the their behaviors against them. there are just entire openings that you can't take advantage of in offline mode.

More advanced players will assist others when needed, ie, kicking them out of screams or dizzy spells. Even hitting others players with your weapon can knock them out of an animation and allow them to avoid a devastating attack.

Don't worry about pulling others down. Everyone goes through the required learning curve that this game demands, and if other players can't handle that, then you are playing with douchebags. I find most other players to be really forgiving when it comes to MH newcomers though. Live (or die) and learn!

oracrest said:
Playing online is more than just the offline with some more players thrown in. The fact that the wyverns alternate their attention between the different players add an entirely new element of strategy. You can get into crucial spots (tail, head) a lot easier using the their behaviors against them. there are just entire openings that you can't take advantage of in offline mode.

More advanced players will assist others when needed, ie, kicking them out of screams or dizzy spells. Even hitting others players with your weapon can knock them out of an animation and allow them to avoid a devastating attack.

Don't worry about pulling others down. Everyone goes through the required learning curve that this game demands, and if other players can't handle that, then you are playing with douchebags. I find most other players to be really forgiving when it comes to MH newcomers though. Live (or die) and learn!

yeah i've taken down several quests online now with other players. It was a rush. That's why i love this game. even at this early state I can just see the amount of skill and strategy that can come into play!

I realized just how different offline and online were the other day. Offline is almost like easy mode/tutorial. Monsters are not the same offline as they are online, which is fantastic!

So far everybody I've played with has been super nice. Hope to hunt with some of you guys soon.

Boney

Banned
oracrest said:
Live and learn!
Yeah!

Thanks for the help so far but what about the Arena? Is that something that should be in my player progression somewhere?
Arena is to test your skill. Since you have to use pre made sets. You get monster coins for some equipment. Just stick to online/offline now.

Anyway jumpin in now.

Oxx

After retiring for about a week to farm Quropeco to finish the armour I finally went back and defeated Barroth.

Now Gobul stand in my way. Underwater combat is so disorienting.

ShinNL

Hawkian said:
Thanks, I'll keep working on it though!

Selenae, Faust, Sceolan, LuigiV, Mafro, Niels, awesome games!

And with the first 3, that
hungry Joe
attempt was some epic stuff to write home about! We got it's tail *high five* next time we'll defeat it for sure :)

Hiltz

Got full Lagiacrus armor set now (looks so badass!). Thanks for all the help getting the stupid horns fellas. :D

Forged Rathalos waist armor and just need to get 1 more rath talon and a rathalos plate to get the hand armor and complete the set.

Got two questions.

I wanted to upgrade a Royal Claw sword and shield into a Royal Ludroth version which has blue sharpness rating. The thing is, it looks like the required materials needed to upgrade it have a + sign next to them. What does that mean ?

One of the Lagiacrus armor set skills is "Sharpness" but what does that mean exactly? I'm kind of confused about what the difference is between Razor and Grinder jewel decorations do.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Lance Bone Path said:
If you want to look good when you're online, you'll probably want to do the offline version of a monster first.

Yeah that is about right.

Soneet said:
hungry Joe
attempt was some epic stuff to write home about! We got it's tail *high five* next time we'll defeat it for sure :)
Man, that left a bad taste in my mouth! I was SO sure i was safe. Then again, i had shitty, close-to-wall camera and couldnt see much.... But still, that pissed me off!!
He is SO going down tomorrow!!!

But yeah, we had great games. The volcano los was again inexplicably epic. Every other time we do that quest, he goes down without a fuss in 15 mins. But other times, he just doesnt want to die!!! 40 freakin minutes! He freakin danced around both of my traps! Then was staying in 6 when off course noone had any cool drinks anymore. Was trying my best to keep everyone's health up with my crummy flute. Also, off course we had 2 silly deaths early on. And then, around the end, about a 1/2 dozen close calls! But he did go down in the end!

Dreavus

Hiltz said:
Got full Lagiacrus armor set now (looks so badass!). Thanks for all the help getting the stupid horns fellas. :D

Forged Rathalos waist armor and just need to get 1 more rath talon and a rathalos plate to get the hand armor and complete the set.

Got two questions.

I wanted to upgrade a Royal Claw sword and shield into a Royal Ludroth version which has blue sharpness rating. The thing is, it looks like the required materials needed to upgrade it have a + sign next to them. What does that mean ?

One of the Lagiacrus armor set skills is "Sharpness" but what does that mean exactly? I'm kind of confused about what the difference is between Razor and Grinder jewel decorations do.

Razor sharp (from the Lagiacrus armor) makes your weapons dull at half the speed, meaning you won't have to pull out the whetstone as often. Sharpener (from the grinder jewels) improves how fast you can sharpen, meaning you'll be less open while using a whetstone (your character will "swipe" twice instead of four times ). Sharpness +1 (aka Handicraft) increases the sharpness meter on all weapons you are using, sometimes even knocking them up to the next colour (green sharpness --> blue sharpness) .

EDIT: For the first question, "+" materials are from high rank hunts (HR30 and above) You've got to get to 4 star quests online to fight the tougher monsters before they'll start dropping "+" materials.

markatisu

I will be on in about 30-40min (around 7:30 CST) if anyone is looking to play for Rathian or do some 2*

I can also help get people over their Barroth HR8 quest

schuelma

I'm in city 4 on the gaf server doing 2 star stuff if anyone wants to join!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
For those who farmed Rathalos Plate, do you think it's faster to farm it by doing The Omen quest and leaving after finishing both subquests & repeat? Since you have a 3% chance from carving the tail, another 3% chance from subquest rewards if you wound the head... and only 2% from the main quest rewards. Maybe that could actually save me 10-15 minutes of my time for each attempts.

schuelma

markatisu said:
Your room is all full so I started a new one, City 5

Anyone wants to join me I will wait around for a bit

ours is open

Mafro

Soneet said:
Thanks, I'll keep working on it though!

Selenae, Faust, Sceolan, LuigiV, Mafro, Niels, awesome games!

hungry Joe

Finally got to HR 18 :D

Found three other people who wanted to grind the Lagiacrus urgent quest, so I ended up doing it four times and got a good collection of stuff.

I hated underwater fights until now, fighting Lagiacrus is brilliant.

Archon

Have to give props to Znarf, Rugalo and Aegryn who helped me get thru the last 2 quests of 2* with ease and then showed me some Diablos, Barioth (Tigrex 2, lol), and that giant jerk in the lava pits who scared the pants off of me. You folks rocked.

Gotta admit, glad to finally be in 3*. Now to start farming for an upgraded hammer and some new armor.

selig

Banned
wow, great Lagicarus-hunt with Insin :D Started it with 3, then one quit, and I thought that maybe we could end it with a subquest. In the end, I used up all my potions and he, surprisingly, had a trap. Lagi PWN ! :D

oracrest

Archon said:
Have to give props to Znarf, Rugalo and Aegryn who helped me get thru the last 2 quests of 2* with ease and then showed me some Diablos, Barioth (Tigrex 2, lol), and that giant jerk in the lava pits who scared the pants off of me. You folks rocked.

Gotta admit, glad to finally be in 3*. Now to start farming for an upgraded hammer and some new armor.

good hunting!

(Aegryn)

insin

Neo Member
selig said:
wow, great Lagicarus-hunt with Insin :D Started it with 3, then one quit, and I thought that maybe we could end it with a subquest. In the end, I used up all my potions and he, surprisingly, had a trap. Lagi PWN ! :D
That was a great fight, maybe I should have told you I had enough gear for 4 traps and Capture Guru :D

Here he is having a little nap:

laginap.jpg

Also got a Rathian plate in one of our earlier quests.

I started out the evening grinding crocodile mats for my wife's toddler class, never thought I'd end it with a sleeping Lagi.

crocigrind.jpg

dsister44

hey guys its kozy here, good hunting to all involved, I hadn't played in a while as you could probably tell:lol :lol :lol :lol

Selenae, Faust, Oz I know i havn't been on in ages and i'm way behind all of you, but if we could possibly get the old team back together for some epic raiding saturday evening that would be awesome. you guys up for it?

selig

Banned
insin said:
That was a great fight, maybe I should have told you I had enough gear for 4 traps and Capture Guru :D

YEAH, please do so next time xD
When I saw you typing "he weak!" I wondered "wait...does he have a...?!", and there you laid a trap. :D

Improved my armor a bit, neutralizing the defense-minus of the Rathalos-armor and shortening the sharpening process. Guess I´ll go for a Barioth-body armor now, with Agnaktor-arm and leg-armor, leaving the Rathalos-head armor. Looks cool :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sheesh, night took longer than expected. I'm exhausted but I'm heading online now for a few hunts if anybody's interested, as soon as I do a little rewiring of my pc/monitor setup.

Tenbatsu

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
I really really wish somebody would translate that Armor Skill calculator Tenbatsu posted a while ago. That would really help out a ton as I try to get some great skill sets.
MH wikia had them all translated.
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Armor_Skill_List

Bisnic said:
For those who farmed Rathalos Plate, do you think it's faster to farm it by doing The Omen quest and leaving after finishing both subquests & repeat? Since you have a 3% chance from carving the tail, another 3% chance from subquest rewards if you wound the head... and only 2% from the main quest rewards. Maybe that could actually save me 10-15 minutes of my time for each attempts.
Yes but it still depends on luck really. If you have rotten luck, no one can save you.

Well, I'm out of Monster Hunter for a little while but at least my send off was memorable. Tangled with Deviljho. I kept planting bombs by its ankles :D Needless to say, we failed the quest. It was fun anyway. Joe still scares the piss out of me though.

Top Bottom