• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

botticus

kinggroin said:
Wait, jhen is back?

Is the HR limit still 27?

^^^^

I'm personally not worried about using the armour spheres I get atm. Thetre's so many of them in the volcano areas, that I figure ahving the extra defense to help me get to a higher HR now, is worth having to work a little harder once I do get the higher rank armour.
I think a lot of people just happen to be hitting the urgent quest right now.

I did end up bumping my Rathian armor up a few levels since I had 50 spheres and the fire resistance will be useful when I start farming Quru+, but I don't plan on doing so further until I get a high-rank set I'll potentially be using for the duration.

Tenbatsu said:
What is your playing style and what weapon are you using mainly?
I mainly use long sword. Actually scratch "mainly", I exclusively use it lol.

I'm not sure how to answer the style question. I have the Barioth+ set right now but I'm really not digging/utilizing the Evade skills as much as I thought I would. I am still heavily relying on the LS's fade slashes to move from harms way.

Bombing, Trapping, and Paralysis are really fun but I think I will make a separate set down the line for that style of play.

I can say it was very difficult for me to part with my Peco+ set. I quite enjoyed playing the role of the team Medic. I'm not sure if the WideRange+2 was so awesome because Peco+ also gave Recovery Up, or how cool it would be without it. I'm not even sure I could get WR+2 and Sharp+1.

Tenbatsu

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
I mainly use long sword. Actually scratch "mainly", I exclusively use it lol.

I'm not sure how to answer the style question. I have the Barioth+ set right now but I'm really not digging/utilizing the Evade skills as much as I thought I would. I am still heavily relying on the LS's fade slashes to move from harms way.

Bombing, Trapping, and Paralysis are really fun but I think I will make a separate set down the line for that style of play.

I can say it was very difficult for me to part with my Peco+ set. I quite enjoyed playing the role of the team Medic. I'm not sure if the WideRange+2 was so awesome because Peco+ also gave Recovery Up, or how cool it would be without it. I'm not even sure I could get WR+2 and Sharp+1.
You can set your peco set aside when you are in the mood for playing the team medic. WR+2 + Sharpness+1 + Recovery Up armor set is certainly doable.

As for long sword, I will recommend Sharpness +1 and Focus. Focus greatly speeds up the building for the LS gauge which IMO is pretty crucial. You can also use it to shorten hammer/Great sword charge moves and prolong Slash Axe sword mode. Another skill you can add to the above can be earplug/Tremor proof as it greatly increase your chances of executing the Spirit Roundslash and get your blade into the red zone.

Kyoufu said:
ruh roh here comes soneet
I thought his persecuting of LS users was really unjust and uncalled for.

The trip up that LS does to others is minor compared to what Hammer, GS, SA, Lance can do. If I was going to start complaining about discourteous players I would start with those. A LS trip stuns you for a second, but getting launched or rolled takes several seconds of recovery as well as makes you run back to your position. If a monster gets trapped/paralyzed and I get launched/rolled, kiss that entire window of opportunity goodbye.

Yet I think the point is being tripped/launched/rolled really doesn't bother me. I've come to learn unless all 4 players are very coordinated (which simply will not happen with randoms) you are going to accidentally hit each other. I've accepted it's just part of the game. Like someone pointed out this game isn't so min/max crucial that a few missed hits due to tripping will mean a ruined mission.

I use LS exclusively and I won't feel bad/ashamed to do so.
Tenbatsu said:
You can set your peco set aside when you are in the mood for playing the team medic. WR+2 + Sharpness+1 + Recovery Up armor set is certainly doable.

As for long sword, I will recommend Sharpness +1 and Focus. Focus greatly speeds up the building for the LS gauge which IMO is pretty crucial.
I completely forgot about Focus, that sounds like a good thing to shoot for. I assume I would mix Deviljo and Jehn sets correct?

The WideRange+Recovery+Sharpness also sounds really appealing. It would be cool to have a Medic set and a Focus set depending on who I'm playing with. Although I don't have an idea how how I could get those medic skills and Sharpness+1 at the same time.

I find myself spending a lot of time just running around looking for a position because I don't want to hit my teammates. Being both conscientious and effective is challenging. If the monster is in a tight space and people are already in there attacking I just stay back and wait for another opening (I play Switchaxe and Longsword).

It doesn't really get much better when I'm playing Sword&Shield since the limited range can mean limited places to hit on the taller monsters. If all I can do is bite its ankles and somebody is already in that spot, I do yet more running around to find another opportunity.

This is why I really like working on a bombing focus. I can do a lot of damage in one focused shot. I also love fighting Jhen. Room for everyone!

And finally, a thousand apologies forever to anyone I accidentally blow up on one of my mad bombing runs. The sheath button can sometimes be my worst enemy when I think I have my weapon out. I waste a lot of small bombs and potions that way.

ShinNL

RuneFactoryFanboy said:

The trip up that LS does to others is minor compared to what Hammer, GS, SA, Lance can do. If I was going to start complaining about discourteous players I would start with those. A LS trip stuns you for a second, but getting launched or rolled takes several seconds of recovery as well as makes you run back to your position. If a monster gets trapped/paralyzed and I get launched/rolled, kiss that entire window of opportunity goodbye.

Yet I think the point is being tripped/launched/rolled really doesn't bother me. I've come to learn unless all 4 players are very coordinated (which simply will not happen with randoms) you are going to accidentally hit each other. I've accepted it's just part of the game. Like someone pointed out this game isn't so min/max crucial that a few missed hits due to tripping will mean a ruined mission.

I use LS exclusively and I won't feel bad/ashamed to do so.
Well, I won't dwell into what I've seen and whatnot, but I'd just like to state that your argument is moot because you're trying to explain that flying is worse than tripping, yet you play Long Sword exclusively, so you've never experienced being tripped multiple times while attacking.

My only personal input in this argument would be: Believe me, being sent flying is a paradise compared to being tripped multiple times in front of a paralyzed monster.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:

[beaten! and by Soneet, no less :p]
I can understand his viewpoint, having played with lots of randoms who used longswords. Being tripped can be a minor thing when it happens once in a while, but I would have often preferred to have been launched/rolled than to be trapped under a monster by longsword users continuously used sideslashing combos on a boss I had just paralyzed.

Not that this misbehavior is exclusive to long sword users, but it's more common for long swords users not to have used other weapons and had the experience of being continuously tripped up to the point that they can't get back on their feet.

That said, there's no point raging about randoms that you will probably never see again and if you end up with some that are not working out, move on to another city.

Kyoufu

They should just have a felyne/armour skill that prevents you from getting tripped while a weapon is unsheathed.

Capcom needs to hire me.

Haunted

Does Wide-Range +2 heal everyone in the vicinity the same amount as I am healed or less?

I like to support the other hunters (who don't know what they're doing) but the health horns replenish too little HP to be really useful when shit goes down.

ShinNL

Haunted said:
Does Wide-Range +2 heal everyone in the vicinity the same amount as I am healed or less?

I like to support the other hunters (who don't know what they're doing) but the health horns replenish too little HP to be really useful when shit goes down.
I haven't tested it but I assumed it was the same as the previous games and that would be Wide-Range+1 = 50%, Wide-Range+2 = 100% health restored from herbs and potions for teammates. I've tried:
Wide-Range+1
Wide-Range+1 with Recovery Up
Wide-Range+2
Wide-Range+2 with Recovery Up.

I have to say, if you really want to heal and not just share status healing items and might/adamant seeds, then only the Wide-Range+2 with Recovery Up setup is useful enough to heal during critical times. Lesser setups are good for keeping the health high, but won't save a player from a death combo.

oracrest

I see a lot of hunters online get the tail whip to the face. :D

did you know that you can roll (with weapon drawn) right through a tailwhip?

The timing is incredibly precise (akin to parry in SFIII: third strike), but if you roll into the tailwhip right before you are about to get hit, you will come up unscathed. You will have to get good at knowing when to stop attacking so that you can roll precisely. The drawn weapon roll helps out in plenty of other cases too, if you need just that extra second to get out of the way of a gas attack, or if you aren't quite out of the way of a fireball. I also use it heavily to roll through a dragons legs, and get behind them before they charge.

the invulnerability is absolute, like the oh shit dive, but the timing is much smaller (only a fraction of the actual roll animation.)

Timing it right, I think you can also extend the invulnerability of the standing up animation by throwing a perfect roll as soon as your on your feet.

Haunted

Soneet said:
I haven't tested it but I assumed it was the same as the previous games and that would be Wide-Range+1 = 50%, Wide-Range+2 = 100% health restored from herbs and potions for teammates. I've tried:
Wide-Range+1
Wide-Range+1 with Recovery Up
Wide-Range+2
Wide-Range+2 with Recovery Up.

I have to say, if you really want to heal and not just share status healing items and might/adamant seeds, then only the Wide-Range+2 with Recovery Up setup is useful enough to heal during critical times. Lesser setups are good for keeping the health high, but won't save a player from a death combo.
Interesting, thanks.

Might make me go for a Quru+ set, I want a good setup to help other players.

ShinNL

oracrest said:
I see a lot of hunters online get the tail whip to the face. :D

did you know that you can roll (with weapon drawn) right through a tailwhip?

The timing is incredibly precise (akin to parry in SFIII: third strike), but if you roll into the tailwhip right before you are about to get hit, you will come up unscathed. You will have to get good at knowing when to stop attacking so that you can roll precisely. The drawn weapon roll helps out in plenty of other cases too, if you need just that extra second to get out of the way of a gas attack, or if you aren't quite out of the way of a fireball. I also use it heavily to roll through a dragons legs, and get behind them before they charge.

the invulnerability is absolute, like the oh shit dive, but the timing is much smaller (only a fraction of the actual roll animation.)

Timing it right, I think you can also extend the invulnerability of the standing up animation by throwing a perfect roll as soon as your on your feet.
I'll also throw this tip out there since it's not possible to do much else with a non-guardable weapon: it's also possible to roll/hop/step a scream. That's like parrying Chun Li's super at close range.

Soneet said:
I'd just like to state that your argument is moot because you're trying to explain that flying is worse than tripping, yet you play Long Sword exclusively, so you've never experienced being tripped multiple times while attacking.
Lance Bone Path said:
it's more common for long swords users not to have used other weapons and had the experience of being continuously tripped up to the point that they can't get back on their feet.
That's not a good assumption. I've played with other LS users and it's not like I'm in a constant safe spirit-combo state. I have been trip-locked before especially when trying to lay traps at the monsters feet. It sucks but somebody has to be really, intentionally discourteous to trip somebody that many times in a row and if that's the case, LS isn't the only weapon that people can be that discourteous with. You may disagree but I personally think the occasional accidental LS trip is a lot better than the occasional one-hit GS/SA/Ham/Lan launch.

My intentions aren't to come off hostile or in your face Soneet. As a guy who loves LS I just felt that your posts unfairly singled us out. Nobody likes being labeled a pain to play with who do not help their team just because of their weapon choice. I try to be as friendly and team helpful as possible :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I played a bunch online with LS the past two days, I hope no one I played with minded :p Think I did pretty well.

explodet

I've become the defacto hammer user in the group, probably because I was the only one with a water hammer when the mini-Jay Leno event quest rolled around and the role stuck. I try to be really careful when superpounding, but I'm usually okay on the larger monsters because everybody else is trying to sever tails while I'm aiming for the head.

I was also lucky to be one of the first people to get a Rathian Plate - while everybody else is covering their ears after a roar I can set myself up for a nice hit. Or kick somebody out of the cower animation early. :D

Boney said:
Question..

How can I unlock the last 3 arenas in SP, and how much do I have to wait for new online arenas?
You unlock them as soon as you complete Uragaan arena and ura is the last arena quest unlocked the normal way (i.e. complete the offline capture ura quest).

The 3 coins you can get from those last 3 are gobul, barioth, and rathalos. I won't spoil the fun fun fun that these particular quests are. :lol

[edit]
I completed all the offline quests aside from the permanently urgent level ones before doing the ura arena, so I have no idea if there were any additional requirements other than ura arena for the last three arena quests.

Mardak

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Although I don't have an idea how how I could get those medic skills and Sharpness+1 at the same time.
You can mix in some peco+ and selene+ armors as a start:

Qurupeco Cap+: +5 WideRange +3 RecLevel +1 Slot (+1 WideRange)
Selene Mail+: +5 Handicraft
Qurupeco Vambraces+: +6 WideRange +3 RecLevel
Selene Coil+: +2 Handicraft +3 Slot (+4 Handicraft)
Qurupeco Greaves+: +2 WideRange +1 RecLevel +3 Slot (+4 Handicraft)

That's already at +15 Handicraft +14 WideRange +7 RecLevel. Needs 6 more WideRange for WR+2 and 3 more RecLevel. A 2-slot weapon gives +3 RecLevel or +3 WideRange. So then you'll need a +6 WideRange charm.

Soneet said:
Believe me, being sent flying is a paradise compared to being tripped multiple times in front of a paralyzed monster.
Lol, right. Your subjective is less subjective than our subjective, cause u just happen to be right and that is that, believe you me.
Also, i've been playing with different weapons, with lots of different people, paying very close attention to who hits me with what when and where, and BOY, must we be playing completely different games.

oracrest

joe.jpg

Ridley327

That fanart is unbelievable, and by unbelievable, I mean there's no way they'd be doing that good against Joe and Barioth at the same time.

Ahahaha I just did the "Deliver 3 Wyvern Egg" quest and I not only carved a Rath Plate from her tail, but I capture her and GOT TWO MORE PLATES from Quest Rewards!

Duress

Dragona Akehi said:
Ahahaha I just did the "Deliver 3 Wyvern Egg" quest and I not only carved a Rath Plate from her tail, but I capture her and GOT TWO MORE PLATES from Quest Rewards!

Haunted

Dragona Akehi said:
Uh oh, now you'll get super bad karma for the Rathalos Plate and Rubies.

Poor Dragona. :(

Mardak said:
That's already at +15 Handicraft +14 WideRange +7 RecLevel. Needs 6 more WideRange for WR+2 and 3 more RecLevel. A 2-slot weapon gives +3 RecLevel or +3 WideRange. So then you'll need a +6 WideRange charm.
If the Monster Hunter Tri wiki is accurate as far as the likelihood of +6/+7 level charms with Wide Range go and all skills are equally likely, I think there is a 0.676% likelihood that a timeworn charm will be appraised to be a +6 or better WideRange charm. There's a similar, but smaller chance that a shining charm will be appraised to something similar.

It's probably better not to plan armor sets around charms you don't have. :/

[edit]

Whoops, math was bad. I calculated based on the different rows being independent events which they're not. The probability that a charm has +6/7 wide range comes down to all skills being equally probable, which I'm not so sure about. There are 31 skills in the group that wide range is in and I haven't really seen that many wide range charms.

It should be around 26% multiplied by the probability that the main skill on the charm is wide range, which puts it around 3.23% if all skills in group B are equally likely, which comes out to 0.83%.

Boney

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
I just carved another two Plates while trying to get one more spike for my Siegliend.
The game knows it is you, and it fears that.
Anyway, got disconected guys.
And I guess I have to beat Lagi and Rathian in arena SP. Haven't done that.

Oh and managed to get an S rank on Peco with Mars. Lagi on the other hand is impossible.

mvo

Neo Member
Is anyone up for alatreon? I've been on 5* urgent for a while now. Seems like whenever I'm helping someone with their urgent, things go alright but when I'm on mine things typically go to Hell.

Victrix

*beard*
SnS rocks but with two caveats a) It sucks until you get good elemental/status ones, and b) you have to be _extremely_ aggressive and constantly land combos to keep up with your gs/katana/etc brethren

If you're willing to deal with the combo spam and are confident being aggressive, its a great weapon. Either excellent status damage, or excellent damage via constant elemental hits, and a good weapon for tripping constantly since you can whack away at feet the whole match.

botticus

Kard8p3 said:
What is GAF's general thoughts on SnS?
I'm sure most will say it sucks, but I'm dead set on finishing at least the single player with it. I enjoy the combos, being able to use items and the relatively quick movement with your weapon out.

Speaking of, beat Rathalos on my 4th try, fuck yeah! Just needed Jhen's SnS for the Dragon element and suddenly he was limping with 15 minutes left, whereas I didn't even get that far on my last attempt. Snared him with a shock trap on his next flight out. Good times.

Boney

Banned
Ok.. who thought having a Rathian and a Rathalos in the same fucking arena at the same fucking time was a good idea?
Fuck I can't even move from the constant screaming, and windy currents. And if I ever look at one monster because it's going to hit me the other guys hits me in the blind spot.

Gah... seriously gah.

dsister44

Kard8p3 said:

m up the final story boss in single player and Im hr 34 online. I use sns exclusively, my favourite weapon by far.

ive worked my way through most of the weapon tree, nows its all about using high rank parts to upgrade them to maximum

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Boney said:
Ok.. who thought having a Rathian and a Rathalos in the same fucking arena at the same fucking time was a good idea?
Fuck I can't even move from the constant screaming, and windy currents. And if I ever look at one monster because it's going to hit me the other guys hits me in the blind spot.

Gah... seriously gah.
isn't there a set with ear plugs?

Boney

Banned
Lonely1 said:
isn't there a set with ear plugs?
Yeah I just lost.. Earplugs is a must.I was using the GS, and managed to kill the ian and the rathalos was about to go, but comboed me trying to carve the last potion from ian :(

Well it wasn't that bad, but I lost 8 times before killing one. So, yeah earplugs it is.

EDIT: Thank god windproof is for hammer. Never used a SA.
EDIT: Using a hammer now and roar didn't affect me, I think I'm going insane, oh well let's see how hammer goes.

botticus

I am online now! Send me a message in-game or warp to me.
NA - Q7TGUV - Botticus (botticus) - HR31

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

The official GAF server is: Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40

Hoping to get some low-rank Lagi and Uragaan mats or jump into Qurupeco+ farming. Or whatever else people want to do.

Kard8p3 said:

One of the lowest ranking weapons for damage. Easy to get in and out of combat, using items with the weapon out and having a shield make it an nice weapon to learn. Since the SnS's main damage is from elemental/status, but the status is more for team play or sleep bombing, you need a set that helps elemental/status or gives sharpness, as both will help damage.

As for solo, you can solo most of the game offline with a SnS, but just know it normal for a mission to take 30 minutes using one. With a team, they're welcomed by almost anyone. They don't have wide sweeps like a LS or GS and they have a shield, so people don't have to worry as much about you as they would other guardless weapons. However, getting carried away will be about 90% of the damage you take as a SnS user. Don't get greedy with the elbow smash attack, which is the 3rd hit in the normal combo, as it leave you wide open for very little return. It's best to just jump in, hit them twice then roll. If they're still open to attack, use the revolver slash then roll. Hell, you can just use the jump in attack all day long and almost no one will care, as you'll pretty much never bother anyone or be in danger of getting smashed.

Also, if you don't want to DPS and all that, everyone will notice and love a stun weapon in the group.

Tenbatsu

Ridley327 said:
That fanart is unbelievable, and by unbelievable, I mean there's no way they'd be doing that good against Joe and Barioth at the same time.
The japanese are able to torture 2 joes or 2 diablos in areana mode with record timings.

Boney said:
Yeah I just lost.. Earplugs is a must.I was using the GS, and managed to kill the ian and the rathalos was about to go, but comboed me trying to carve the last potion from ian :(

Well it wasn't that bad, but I lost 8 times before killing one. So, yeah earplugs it is.

EDIT: Thank god windproof is for hammer. Never used a SA.
My favorite weapon to use for that particular arena quest is SA and am able to finished in under 10mins. There's a trick to the roar....
while its roaring, just stand near their left leg

Top Bottom