• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Luigiv

dsister44 said:
no problem dude, im name:kozy and id: MLHLAL. ill send you a PM a few hours before hand to confirm I can do it, just gotta remember to wake up in time!
:lol I'll try not to sleep in too.
Though doing so would be a feat in itself, given my timezone is GMT+8 :p.

ShinNL

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Can you clarify exactly what is so uniquely horrible about LS users then? Because it seems your argument/point has changed from what it originally was. In this post it seemed your problem was that a single sweep could interrupt precious healing, positioning, or attacking time. Now it seems the argument is about users who continuously trip-lock others and only during their attack animation (since apparently I have never experienced it).

If your problem is with LS users that knowingly trip-lock other players by constantly mashing spirit combos then I agree (but still think it's unfair to single out LS users). However if you are basing your criticism off of the occasional accidental trip up then I don't agree at all. I still stand by my statement that a LS accident is nowhere near as troublesome as a GS/SA/H/L accident. My playtime last night can attest to that when over the course of one Agnaktor+ hunt I was pounded 3 times by the Hammer user and rolled, no joke, 6 times by the lance user. The whole time I'm thinking to myself "..and soneet choses to single out LS users as the worst?"
Well first of all, I'm not arguing about accidents. Accidents are accidents, so no one would want any of those. I'm talking about doing stuff on purpose. The examples you mentioned are cases of people playing horrible (being charged by a Lance user 6 times seems more like a pin pointed thing done to you, unless that's the crappiest Lance user ever, since charging isn't the most efficient attack).

That post you quoted was about the GS' sweep, which is recommended not being used near teammates who are sensitive to hits. LS in spirit combo mode is basically the turbo version of that described interference.

Unlike other weapons, a LS user will never know the interference caused by another LS user. A hammer user can fly from another person's superpound. The same with lance charges, GS upswings, etc. From my experience, most players don't really like hitting teammates and sending them flying. Those are also not moves that you can use continuously (locking someone). But LS users often have this attitude: ah, just a few teamhits here and there, it's part of the game. The same kind of reasoning as "getting tripped is not as bad as being sent flying", as if either justifies that kind of teamplay. So you don't see LS users adapt very fast, because there doesn't seem to be a reason to.

Why is the spirit combo nice? Because it's wide, so it's easy to hit the monster. But that same wideness also hits teammates. To learn to play a LS correctly means one actually has to aim the attacks (vertical slashes + pokes). Read the locations so the return slash isn't necessary and you can roll out to safety after a combo. If one doesn't train for that, you end up with scenarios where one has to choose between: roll and not make it and get hit -or- use the return slash to save yourself but you will trip your teammate.

Hammers are short range, the strongest attacks are slow to execute and has no hit immunity.
GS is slow in everything, walks slow.
Lance walks like a tank, need pin point attacks. No hit immunity.

While the weapons mentioned above all have moves that can annoy teammates, they're just not as easy to pick up and play as the Long Sword (fast, long range, hit immunity). But the same group that likes easy to pick up n play weapons is also the group that should put the most effort to play team efficient... which I often don't see happening. So in the end I stumble on LS jackasses more often than non-LS ones.

My posts were always about "The worst are LS users", not "LS users are the worst".

Nicktals

Banned
So, I think i'm going to get back into this, after 100%ing galaxy 2.

Went online for a bit this morning and soloed 2 Barroth, but could NOT get a ridge+, which I need to upgrade a GS.

So I'll be going online later today (at the latest 4 EST), hoping to quickly fell a few barroth. And if I ever get a ridge + (I had fought a couple before taking my galaxy hiatus...so I'm on about a 5 barroth streak without getting a ridge+), maybe hope to take a few diablos on as well.

botticus

Where would a good place to find spider webs be? I need to stop being so free with my pitfall traps, since webs seem to be a heck of a lot harder to keep in stock than thunderbugs.

markatisu

botticus said:
Where would a good place to find spider webs be? I need to stop being so free with my pitfall traps, since webs seem to be a heck of a lot harder to keep in stock than thunderbugs.

Woods I think area 3 or 4 around the stream is where I have found a bunch before

Nicktals

Banned
botticus said:

Yeah, it kind of sucks. I mean, getting pitfalls isn't too bad, as you can just trade for them with the argosy captain. But when you're bombing, and want to bring along nets to combine, it's a real pain.

Near the entrance to the cave in moga woods (deserted island), area 3, there is always a bug area, and it usually gives out 3 spider webs. That's what I've been doing, but I hope someone has a better way to get them.

Leezard

botticus said:
You can often trade 5 of them online (at the fat lady trader) by giving her a monster fluid. Other than that, I know no effective way. They can be found just about everywhere, especially in earlier areas.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yay I killed a royal ludroth. His mane was all dismantled by the end of it an dI got his tail :)

I'm thinking I should switch from sword and shield. I don't ever block and I feel like these battles take forever. I might try switch axe until I unlock LS.

markatisu

Y2Kev said:
Yay I killed a royal ludroth. His mane was all dismantled by the end of it an dI got his tail :)

I'm thinking I should switch from sword and shield. I don't ever block and I feel like these battles take forever. I might try switch axe until I unlock LS.

Try a hammer first

Soneet said:
My posts were always about "The worst are LS users", not "LS users are the worst".
That's fair enough and thanks for the clarification. You came off sounding like you were saying “LS users are the worst” but now I can see where you are coming from. I’m not discourteous like that with my swordplay.

I have a different outlook than you when it comes to hitting team mates. You seem to feel that hitting a team mate should be avoided no matter the cost, where I think occasional hits are ok if they are beneficial overall. I never limit myself to 50% or whatever of the LS’s attacks, I’m just careful when I use certain ones. I don’t mind taking a flight or tumble if that same attack really nailed the monster in the face or something. In the same respect most everyone I play with doesn’t mind a quick trip if my final spirit slash clips them.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Leezard said:
Yes, and then if you like it go forge a Ludroth Splashhammer. It makes your life easier once you get to other monsters (read: Barroth).

Yup. The paralyze hammer is pretty good also, and you can get that pretty early.

Soneet said:
Well first of all, I'm not arguing about accidents. Accidents are accidents, so no one would want any of those. I'm talking about doing stuff on purpose. The examples you mentioned are cases of people playing horrible (being charged by a Lance user 6 times seems more like a pin pointed thing done to you, unless that's the crappiest Lance user ever, since charging isn't the most efficient attack).

That post you quoted was about the GS' sweep, which is recommended not being used near teammates who are sensitive to hits. LS in spirit combo mode is basically the turbo version of that described interference.

Unlike other weapons, a LS user will never know the interference caused by another LS user. A hammer user can fly from another person's superpound. The same with lance charges, GS upswings, etc. From my experience, most players don't really like hitting teammates and sending them flying. Those are also not moves that you can use continuously (locking someone). But LS users often have this attitude: ah, just a few teamhits here and there, it's part of the game. The same kind of reasoning as "getting tripped is not as bad as being sent flying", as if either justifies that kind of teamplay. So you don't see LS users adapt very fast, because there doesn't seem to be a reason to.

Why is the spirit combo nice? Because it's wide, so it's easy to hit the monster. But that same wideness also hits teammates. To learn to play a LS correctly means one actually has to aim the attacks (vertical slashes + pokes). Read the locations so the return slash isn't necessary and you can roll out to safety after a combo. If one doesn't train for that, you end up with scenarios where one has to choose between: roll and not make it and get hit -or- use the return slash to save yourself but you will trip your teammate.

Hammers are short range, the strongest attacks are slow to execute and has no hit immunity.
GS is slow in everything, walks slow.
Lance walks like a tank, need pin point attacks. No hit immunity.

While the weapons mentioned above all have moves that can annoy teammates, they're just not as easy to pick up and play as the Long Sword (fast, long range, hit immunity). But the same group that likes easy to pick up n play weapons is also the group that should put the most effort to play team efficient... which I often don't see happening. So in the end I stumble on LS jackasses more often than non-LS ones.

You know, I play as a GS/LS user, and you're a jerk. You (and people like you) are the reason I only play with friends online.

And I've never hit a single one of my allies. Ever.

markatisu

Y2Kev said:
Why's hammer better than switch axe?

Quicker to handle for a new user and can do a great amount of damage earlier (since you can get some of the specialty hammers with little to no work)

Especially if you are working your way offline or on through the first few tiers

Switch Axe requires a bit more work, mastering changing the two functions and getting the most out of it early on.

Y2Kev

markatisu said:
Quicker to handle for a new user and can do a great amount of damage earlier (since you can get some of the specialty hammers with little to no work)

Especially if you are working your way offline or on through the first few tiers

Switch Axe requires a bit more work, mastering changing the two functions and getting the most out of it early on.
Okay. I bought one of each. The hammer is better but the switch axe is really fun to use and watch transform. :)

I got the first switch axe and the plume flint

oracrest

I was playing online a few days ago and some guy demanded that I change my sword because he didn't like how powerful it wasn't.

That's probably the worst side of the game, is that sort of elitism. Nevermind that some people play the game and use weapons/armors that they find aesthetically pleasing (and are good at playing the game to boot.) The elitism is the worst, but in the broader spectrum of online, MH players are saints.

Tenbatsu

botticus said:
Area 1 in flooded forest near the exit to area 8.

Nisa65

After at least 15 attempts to get a gem from Joe I finally got one from a shiny which according to the wiki has a 1% chance of happening,good stuff. Still had no gems from Alatreon though, unlike my friend who has had 4 within the same amount of runs.

markatisu

oracrest said:
I was playing online a few days ago and some guy demanded that I change my sword because he didn't like how powerful it wasn't.

That's probably the worst side of the game, is that sort of elitism. Nevermind that some people play the game and use weapons/armors that they find aesthetically pleasing (and are good at playing the game to boot.) The elitism is the worst, but in the broader spectrum of online, MH players are saints.

Yeah I agree with this, staying with GAF though I have found only a slight bit of elitism once you get to the higher ranks.

Its understandable but at the same time imho everyone has to start somewhere so ordering me to put on certain armor or weapons is bordering on being an ass. Especially if its something like hunting a Jaggi+ or Peco+

Compared to other online games its nice not to be berated, called sexual names, or just treated like crap. But MH online is not without its fair share of problems.

Tenbatsu

botticus said:
Would it be doable to get Status Atk Up, Wide Range+2, Recovery Up, Speed-Eating+2 together?
Yes its doable but you need a charm with Eating +6 1 slot/2 slots or Eating +7 1slot/2 slots.
Grace Earring is also a must.

markatisu

Y2Kev said:
UM HOLY FUCK WHAT IS THAT DRAGON THING THAT QUROPECO CALLED

Rathian?

120px-Rathian-MH3.png

Question mostly for Tenbatsu but if anyone else can help feel free.

Look like my prayers have been awnsered, at least somewhat. Somebody translated a bit of the MH3 Skill Simulator look!

MH3Calc.jpg

So first thing I do is throw in Sharpness+1 and Focus. It then gives me only a few choices when I think is something to do with charms, I right click one of those choices and picked the first option, then it gives me a whole list of combinations.

My question is, see the red circled part? Is this weapon slots? I love using the best weapon for the job on different hunts so if at all possible I do not want to rely on any weapon to have this skill set. I set it it to the 5th option and clicked search agian, and it returned no results. I try the 4th which I assume is 1 slot, nothing. I chose 2 slots, nothing. Only 3 slots is giving me results.

EDIT: Ok I know I'm doing something wrong because when I put in something simple like Sharpness+1 and Attack Up (L) it returns me 0 results.

Y2Kev

Sure is fun taking down the Great Jaggi in like 15 seconds with the spinny move :lol

wtf is joe

Boney

Banned
Lonely1 said:
I just build a para S&S. Which armor you guys recommend?
Look at the previous page. Tenbatsu was helping me with the same stuff.

Also, I get some spider webs from area 9 in D. Island. I usually get like 3 there, but since they are so scarce I now just carry a shock trap, 2 trap tools and 2 thunder bugs. Sure pitfalls are better, but I guess planting 3 shocks evens out.

Also, if I'm going for a para weapon shouldn't it be better to have the paralize skill instead of status atk up?

Syril

Boney said:
Also, if I'm going for a para weapon shouldn't it be better to have the paralize skill instead of status atk up?

The Paralyze skill is to prevent yourself from being paralyzed, not to enhance paralysis on your weapon.

Boney said:
Paralyze skill is resistance to paralyze. Not sure if it's useful. I'm trying to think of monsters that paralyze aside from vespoids and gobul and I'm coming up blank.

kinggroin

Banned
Anyone else find it funny that the first major boss in the wiis first major monster hunter is called Great Jaggi?

Wii gets trolled even in its own games : D

Having a great time on the game, many of the guys I have played with on the GAF server have been very helpful, and am now at rank 46. One thing I noticed, while not playing there, is the outright...hmm, 'fear' of Barrioth and Gigginox. I often go to room, in which either of these are the focus, and the players seem to be dumb-founded how to fight them, and/or rage-quit during a fight.

Now, I know Barrioth has some cheap chaining combos, especially when you happen to be dizzy, but I would think peoples at my rank would know the attacks by now. I believe the Gigginox thing is the poison aspect (which I don't worry about, as I have my full giggi armor set...in which I only worry about hits =p). Just an observation...many people I play with are fun, and I also want to say, whenever I play S&S, I EXPECT to be tossed around by hammers and GS! =p

Don't know when I can play next, but if anyone sees "Haphinea" on, (my character) and is willing, I would love to try a fight with DJhoe and/or Altareon. Have a dragon weapon on most weapons I use...just never have fought him without people either running away, or finishing the quest first!

EDIT: Shout-out to a player named Tsar (not sure if he was a Gaffer or not...) as they were a big help 2 playering the Diablos/Uragaan fight and the Double trouble quest...Sorry about the dropped connection on Barrioth! (internet just died last night...)

Kyoufu

I usually carry 1 pitfall and 3 shocks. I prefer shock because you can use them underwater and for tail cutting.

protip for all monster hunter games: you can give items to people and not lose them by not saving your game. Thats how I have 400 nets in my box ^_^

Nobodyspatzy said:
Don't know when I can play next, but if anyone sees "Haphinea" on, (my character) and is willing, I would love to try a fight with DJhoe and/or Altareon. Have a dragon weapon on most weapons I use...just never have fought him without people either running away, or finishing the quest first!
I played a little bit this morning and had a good experience with a random group fighting Joe. If you're playing with randoms, you can find good groups for Joe, but they're probably going to want to select a quest where the objective is Joe itself. (i.e. it's probably best to get to HR51+ if you want to do Joe with randoms.)

Strangely, the room I created was an "Everyone welcome" room in expert/hi-rank since you don't get to pick specific monsters as room objectives. I had wanted to do barioth, though, haha, but sometimes you just gotta go with the flow.

iamcenok

STAWP DOOPING.

So I'm HR38, and I feel so meh about where I'm at, I don't want to farm for the same arrrmmooorrrr. :lol
Stupid thing was I was selling excess monster parts for money, turns out some of the + armor I want needed the parts I sold. (This was before I hit HiRank) So now im low 1-2 items for each part. FML... :p

And Bathycite ores are annoyingly hard to come by. Uuggh

Nicktals

Banned
Kyoufu said:
I usually carry 1 pitfall and 3 shocks. I prefer shock because you can use them underwater and for tail cutting.

protip for all monster hunter games: you can give items to people and not lose them by not saving your game. Thats how I have 400 nets in my box ^_^

Oh, really? So, in theory...You could give me 400 nets, I could save (by going on a quest, or quitting and saving), and then you could quit without saving, and still have your 400 nets?

Because...I could use some nets :D

markatisu

Nobodyspatzy said:
Having a great time on the game, many of the guys I have played with on the GAF server have been very helpful, and am now at rank 46. One thing I noticed, while not playing there, is the outright...hmm, 'fear' of Barrioth and Gigginox. I often go to room, in which either of these are the focus, and the players seem to be dumb-founded how to fight them, and/or rage-quit during a fight.

Now, I know Barrioth has some cheap chaining combos, especially when you happen to be dizzy, but I would think peoples at my rank would know the attacks by now. I believe the Gigginox thing is the poison aspect (which I don't worry about, as I have my full giggi armor set...in which I only worry about hits =p). Just an observation...many people I play with are fun, and I also want to say, whenever I play S&S, I EXPECT to be tossed around by hammers and GS! =p

I think after playing Barrioth to the point of ad naseum memorization I can honestly say he is a bitch monster and always cheats :lol

I have at least managed to stay alive in a group against him but goddamn sometimes he is not even near me and I register getting hit by his fucking tail

Kyoufu

Nicktals said:
Oh, really? So, in theory...You could give me 400 nets, I could save (by going on a quest, or quitting and saving), and then you could quit without saving, and still have your 400 nets?

Because...I could use some nets :D

yeah lol

ShinNL

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
That's fair enough and thanks for the clarification. You came off sounding like you were saying “LS users are the worst” but now I can see where you are coming from. I’m not discourteous like that with my swordplay.

I have a different outlook than you when it comes to hitting team mates. You seem to feel that hitting a team mate should be avoided no matter the cost, where I think occasional hits are ok if they are beneficial overall. I never limit myself to 50% or whatever of the LS’s attacks, I’m just careful when I use certain ones. I don’t mind taking a flight or tumble if that same attack really nailed the monster in the face or something. In the same respect most everyone I play with doesn’t mind a quick trip if my final spirit slash clips them.
Thanks for your reply. I'm sure not everyone shares my view on never hitting teammates and it would be unfair to force morals onto others. Everyone has their own style and in the end it's all about fun. Unless someone has really horrible manners or is just bad at learning, most of the horrible scenarios shouldn't happen too often.

Dragona Akehi said:
You know, I play as a GS/LS user, and you're a jerk. You (and people like you) are the reason I only play with friends online.

And I've never hit a single one of my allies. Ever.
People like me? What? What kind of people?

You don't even know me!

When I play, I do it for fun. I occasionally help lower HR's, I like healing teammates and support weapons are my favorite types if I'm not practicing a weapon type. In what way am I a jerk huh? For not liking people who are inconsiderate to teammates? That makes me a jerk?!

However, in a discussion board I thought it would be okay to discuss on popular abused weapons and ways to improve playing styles for the team.

But I guess I can't voice my opinion without LS fans jumping on me. Gawd. You don't see hammer users jump on people who say that superpounding is annoying. In fact, people will agree that abusing that move is a bad thing.

And that "I've never hit a single one of my allies. Ever."... sounds cool, but we all know that's just nonsense. Don't exaggerate like that because it makes no sense.

Ok while I wait for Tenbatsu's supreme wisdom, I tried to figure it out my desired skill set in Excel myself. I'm actually kinda glad I can't figure out the calculator right now because doing this all by hand pleases my min/max tendencies.

It seems if I wear a full Ceadus set and then swap out the gloves for Jehn ones it gives me +12 to Sharpness and +2 to Focus. Then I have three pieces of armor with 3 slots a piece, so I can throw two Dynamo Jewels in to knock that Focus up to +10 and then wear a charm to make up the remaining 3 points needed for Sharpness. As an added bonus the combo gives automatic Earplugs and because all but one LS has at least 1 slot I can further jewel it for HG Earplugs if I want to deal with Demonic Protection.

OR

Again since all but one LS has at least one slot, I can use my armor slots to achieve Sharpness & Focus, use the open weapon slot to negate the Blunt Edge, and then with an open charm slot I can add an additional C (and B if I'm lucky) skill

So I'm looking at

Sharpness+1
Focus
HG Earplugs
Demonic Protection (there a different way to remove this with only a 1 slot wep?)

or

Sharpness+1
Focus
Earplugs
4th skill like SpeedSetup/HalveStun/Resistance

Is there a list of what monster have HG screams?

Remfin

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Is there a list of what monster have HG screams?
I haven't found one anywhere. Off the top of my head Earplugs are fine for Rathian, Rathalos, Uragaan, and Barioth, and not enough for Diablos, Gigginox, and Jhen.

Top Bottom