• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Haunted

Luigiv said:
Well that's because Ala is a Fatalis replacement and Jhen is a Lao-Shan Lung replacement. To veterans of the series, Ceadeus was the real surprise. The previous single player only monsters were just weakened versions of other monsters.
Browsing through the Monster Hunter wiki, there seems to be a shitton of recurring/repeated content, even between the generations. Makes me think a little less of the game designers, tbh. (Tri is my first proper MH) :(

botticus

Luigiv said:
Well that's because Ala is a Fatalis replacement and Jhen is a Lao-Shan Lung replacement. To veterans of the series, Ceadeus was the real surprise. The previous single player only monsters were just weakened versions of other monsters.
Ala just seems rather small for an Elder Dragon, is all.

botticus said:
Ala just seems rather small for an Elder Dragon, is all.
"Elder dragon" is Monster Hunter's "other" category.

Kirin is one of the smallest bosses (the small ones are roughly the size of a big kelbi) and it's an elder dragon. You also get something like two carves from its carcass.

botticus

The 4* urgent (Double Trouble) shows up at 39, doesn't it? Could have sworn so, but my friend isn't getting it, after we've taken care of the key quests. Am I missing something?

Gah, nevermind, we had done his urgent a few days ago, just hadn't gotten him up to HR40 yet.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Lance Bone Path said:
"Elder dragon" is Monster Hunter's "other" category.

Kirin is one of the smallest bosses (the small ones are roughly the size of a big kelbi) and it's an elder dragon. You also get something like two carves from its carcass.
And yet I hate fighting Kirin more than Plesioth as hard as that may seem. I mean, holy hell, his lightning attacks have such big hitboxes. Ugh, it's the only monster I bother fighting with an SnS.

Nicktals

Banned
john tv said:
Yeah, I'm done with Tri for now, but I absolutely LOVED what I played. 150+ hours and I don't regret a minute of it. Hoping MHF will keep us busy for a while until Tri G or just Portable 3 hits. Tri is lacking content and variety but everything else about it shits on the other games IMO. I hope everything they improved with Tri carries over to P3 and any future MH games.

Aw damnit.

I just switched to a situation where the best time for me to play is in the afternoon. You always played in the afternoon when I never could. Now that I can, you're going to stop? If you change your mind, and decide you want to hunt again (during midday for EST), let me know! You were one of the first people I added to my friend list, and I haven't seen you online since (due to conflicting schedules).

Luigiv

Jangaroo said:
And yet I hate fighting Kirin more than Plesioth as hard as that may seem. I mean, holy hell, his lightning attacks have such big hitboxes. Ugh, it's the only monster I bother fighting with an SnS.
Kirin is easy. Just hammer the bitch over the head!

Yeah, I think I'm mostly done. The addiction is over. Am at a little over 200 hours and have built everything I am interested in with all the best of my favorite type of weapons made. I hope tri G gets announced soon. I'm excited to kill new stuff or at least have more items to aim for, because right now I need a new motivation like that.

Poyunch

I'm probably going to play a bit every now and then because I still have a few armor sets that I could make since I've already got most of the parts. Also even though I won't be as invested as I used to I can't help but take advantage of Jhen sales. Plus Jhen is a pretty fun battle (probably my favorite).

Victrix

*beard*
Been away for a bit, some last thoughts (after playing several hundred hours of Tri)

Great game, as always. MH is now one of my staple favorite series, unless Capcom does something to fuck it up badly in the future. I'm sad that the series is a PSP flagship game, playing it on the Wii with a CCP was 5823523482x superior to playing it with the horrid PSP controls.

Can't wait to see a 360/ps3 version of the game (or next gen, if it takes them that long?).

Some general gripes:

1) Rewarding you with stuff like luck up/carve up at the end of the game is pointless and stupid. By the time you can GET those gems, you no longer NEED those abilities.

2) Luck and capture expert were annoying, and I'd rather see them gone completely. I used both for like 75%+ of my gameplay time, and consequently, I had nearly every weapon in the game maxed out, while my friends who did not use them weren't even close.

3) Rare carves aren't actually that big of a deal. Most of them are very 'you get them when you get them' for upgrading to the final stage of a weapon, or completing an armor set, which always feels nice. What IS bullshit is an overreliance on certain semi-rare parts. Lagi horns, I'm looking at you. I never completed the lightning weapon lines, because every fucking one of them took 52 Lagi horns to upgrade and then another 52 Lagi+ horns to finish. No one wants to fight a monster that much, title monster or no.

4) Bowgun experiment failed. Over complicated, time consuming, and annoying. They need to completely rethink the way they handle ammunition before I'd even consider playing a gunner seriously. Save ammo sets, pay X, restock. Or simply consume X materials, restock ammo set. Whatever, don't care how they do it, get rid of the inventory nightmare of managing multiple sets of ammo for multiple armor and bowgun setups. The ammo sack was a step in the right direction, but it didn't complete the trip.

5) Chacha and Deviljho own.

L00P

After beating Alatreon, I honestly don't know what to do next. I'm just upgrading a bunch of random stuff right now:lol

I guess I want those event weapons, so maybe that will keep me company for a little while.

Luigiv

Tenbatsu said:
Are we playing the same game? Which weapon needs 52 Lagi horns + 52 Lagi+ horns??:lol
He's exaggerating, but you got to admit; given the amount of trouble it takes to just get one, the game asks you to collect way too many of them.

Jangaroo said:
Plesioth is pretty easy with a gunner weapon. My experience fighting kirin is that people farming kirin end up cheesing through him the same way many people cheese through alatreon. (Kirin cheesing is good since it's fast).

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Lance Bone Path said:
Plesioth is pretty easy with a gunner weapon. My experience fighting kirin is that people farming kirin end up cheesing through him the same way many people cheese through alatreon. (Kirin cheesing is good since it's fast).
I never gun unless it's for Ankator so it's my own fault I suppose. Plesioth's hipcheck still has a ridiculously large hitbox and I will complain about this until the day I die.

Well I'm past 450hs, HR 110, Alatreon fights in ~5min... I'm pretty much done and waiting for Monster Hunter Tri G, yeah.

I'll be back for new Event Quests and I'm still waiting to batte in Arena against High Rank monsters, need some King Coins to upgrade my Longshot.

Luigiv

Finally got around to repelling Ceadeus. I was originally planning to complete all 5* quests first, but I got annoyed with grinding for a Rathalos plate (Which part I'm missing to make a Rathalos set, which I plan to use to defeat Agnaktor). Oh well, with that out of the way, back to Rathalos grinding *sigh*.

Neo C.

Finally see some Gaffers on my friendlist again. Hopefully we'll see us in the next few days again, I'm a weakling against Barioth+ and Lagi+. :(

botticus

Got my first Ruby last night, but I don't need a Rathalos Ruby unless I decide to upgrade my fire SnS for some reason. In related news, Great Baggis are made up of lots of coma sacs, but very few gems.

I was dicking around with a Rathalos, and when he attacked an Apatonos, he cried a Rathalos Plate. Isn't that a 1% chance or something?

At least I'll be able to make the Rathalos Armour, something I've wanted to do since my playtime in MHF2.

explodet

Dragona Akehi said:
I was dicking around with a Rathalos, and when he attacked an Apatonos, he cried a Rathalos Plate. Isn't that a 1% chance or something?

At least I'll be able to make the Rathalos Armour, something I've wanted to do since my playtime in MHF2.
I think it's 3%, but that just might be tail carves, not tears. In either case it's stupid rare.

I'm so glad I helped out a bunch of people for their Lagi urgent - enough runs of those got me the entire Lagi gunner armor and the gun parts, now I don't have to look at him again for a loooong time. I think I got lucky with the horns, he kept swimming headfirst into my shots (not to mention my face).

Luigiv

Dragona Akehi said:

2%
You damn Lucky bastard!!! >=(

oracrest

some new fanarts, not by me.

1277874762911.jpg

1275928208767.jpg

1277762582691.jpg

1277764647694.jpg

Proven

Dragona Akehi said:

Not to mention dance in it.

Tenbatsu

Luigiv said:
2%
You damn Lucky bastard!!! >=(
Heading into the battle without wanting anything particular in mind will usually yield you good rewards. I don't know why but thats just how the game works.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dragona, can you get my Rathaloses to cry plates too?

I got one my first time ever hunting it and used it to make an LS. Now I've done 18 more and nothing, and I have the entire armor already except the chest. Honestly, if I could make one suggestion about the drops it would be to add a "either 3% after each battle or guaranteed after 12 battles, whichever comes first" logic. Gambling with your time when you are grinding to get one specific item in a game that requires it of you as often as this one is probably the least enjoyable aspect of the game.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Loved mhtri and it improved on so many things, but I cant help but to feel like freedom unite is the superior game. I think the most important thing in a game like this is content, and variety of monsters/weapons/maps/armors ect. the game play isn't vastly improved for hardcore players in tri, it is just more new player friendly.

Once again, I love tri, but I have been playing unite a ton recently, even after the 300 hour mark.

Korigama

Finally managed to make a Rathalos set of my own (then proceeded to both prance AND dance in it). Planning on going after the Barioth set next.

Quixzlizx

I kind of want to buy this + Sin and Punishment 2 because of Best Buy's B1G1 50% off Wii sale, but I don't know anyone else who plays MH games, and I've never tried a MH game myself. If I don't have anyone to play this with, should I not even bother?

I still play...a lot =p If you ever want an HR 65 to help, feel free to hit me up online. (Although Barioth and Uragaan hate me still.)

Oh, have a quick question: What's the agreed upon best way to KILL Jhen+? I was playing with level 100 "elitists" who insisted we all use dragon weapons, and only ballista when it was far off, yet we repelled it that time. I also did the opposite, with mainly ballista and dragonator hits, and still a repel (got a bunch of elderdragon blood though for some reason).

So, what is a good plan? Any help is welcomed!

botticus

Lonely1 said:
So, how healthy is GAF MH community nowadays?
The GAF server itself is pretty dead, so usually when I see a few GAF people on, they're off in other areas. It's usually not too hard to get a couple people in a new room, though.

I don't know who Pants is, but it's nice to see more new blood on the servers who will one day be high rank!

Haunted

Got my Alatreon Bomb Boost set, here's hoping I find a good group this time. :/

Nobodyspatzy said:
I still play...a lot =p If you ever want an HR 65 to help, feel free to hit me up online. (Although Barioth and Uragaan hate me still.)

Oh, have a quick question: What's the agreed upon best way to KILL Jhen+? I was playing with level 100 "elitists" who insisted we all use dragon weapons, and only ballista when it was far off, yet we repelled it that time. I also did the opposite, with mainly ballista and dragonator hits, and still a repel (got a bunch of elderdragon blood though for some reason).

Most people underestimate the dmg of the cannons from my experience. Two people in front attacking its arms/claws/legs, two in the ship on the ballista (when Jhen is far away) /cannon (when Jhen is close).

edit: well, or just look below. :lol

Wyeth

Nobodyspatzy said:

Everyone should ideally have a hoss dragon weapon with good reach.

First part: Ballistas while he's far off, then gong when he comes in for a hit, then as he nears, hit his side with your weapons. When the red arrow pops up, everyone run on him, you should be able to break both back parts in one go if you're efficient and have good weapons. Farcaster or jump back to the ship before he throws you off and then wait for him to leap over. Also, when he's up against the ship, break his left leg. When he goes for the charge, binder his ass. When he drifts back in, rape his horns with either purple sharpness weapons or ballistas, can also hit his face if you like.
More standard attacks (ballista etc) and then dragonator when he charges from the front. Ballistas and cannons until final showdown. Make sure you gather some ballista shots between so you're full for the showdown.

Showdown: Three people on ballista and one person with the best attack to go break the other leg. Once he gets closer, everyone run out and melee. Poke his stomach and sides or legs if that's all thats available. When get gets close, gong, then when he closes again, binder. Dragonator. Keep meleeing and if you're all good you should be able to kill him in 20-ish minutes.

There are other patterns that work fine but I have never failed to kill using this method as long as people aren't retarded.

Nobodyspatzy said:

High end dragon element weapons have higher damage output than cannonballs or ballista but you'll still have plenty of down time when you can't melee. In theory you can get a kill if you have 4 people and everyone is only using the ship's weapons, but there's a very small margin between getting a kill and getting a repel.

The top of the Jhen takes a lot of damage, even after the holes are made, I think, so it's practically always worthwhile to run back up there and attack the areas around the holes at every opportunity.

Sometimes Jhen rises up to do a full body slam. The gong should be saved for moments like that since you will end up with Jhen getting knocked out. This makes one of Jhen's most vulnerable areas (the inside of its mouth) accessible. There will only be enough space inside for one person, but depending on what weapons are being used, you could hypothetically have multiple people in there comboing the Jhen to death.

Haunted

Hmm, my Uragaan+ set has a surprising amount (8) of free slots.

Any tips for a useful skill vs Alatreon? I've got Defense Up, Punishing Draw and Bombardier so far. I plan on using a Water Lance or Switch-Axe.

First thought would be Rec Level so I can maximise my recovery items.

I'm usually Medic oriented, but that's a combination of skills I can't achieve with this set, so I'm a bit lost which one to choose.

Boney

Banned
Quixzlizx said:
I kind of want to buy this + Sin and Punishment 2 because of Best Buy's B1G1 50% off Wii sale, but I don't know anyone else who plays MH games, and I've never tried a MH game myself. If I don't have anyone to play this with, should I not even bother?
MH3 was the first MH for many in this thread. It does a marvelous job in easing your way in, without feeling like a 10 hour long tutorial. Your best bet is to jump with this one.

Sadly, most of us have already quit since we did almost everything, but still plenty are sticking around as you can see. Online is easy and no pain in the ass, and SP is really meaty as well.

Definately recommended.

windfish

Haunted said:
Hmm, my Uragaan+ set has a surprising amount (8) of free slots.

Any tips for a useful skill vs Alatreon? I've got Defense Up, Punishing Draw and Bombardier so far. I plan on using a Water Lance or Switch-Axe.

First thought would be Rec Level so I can maximise my recovery items.

I'm usually Medic oriented, but that's a combination of skills I can't achieve with this set, so I'm a bit lost which one to choose.

if this is your bomb boost set and you are aiming for pure large barrel bomb + executions you should go for the status up skill and use a sleep weapon...then again why no gunner set to begin with? =D
i made a mixed barrioth gunner set for ala and iam pretty happy with it... dont really like the ura-look so its just perfect with bombardier evade and status up!
dont hestitate to give me a call if you need someone to help out!
irgendwann abends passt immer!

Haunted

windfish said:
if this is your bomb boost set and you are aiming for pure large barrel bomb + executions you should go for the status up skill and use a sleep weapon...then again why no gunner set to begin with? =D
i made a mixed barrioth gunner set for ala and iam pretty happy with it... dont really like the ura-look so its just perfect with bombardier evade and status up!
dont hestitate to give me a call if you need someone to help out!
irgendwann abends passt immer!
haha thanks.

Haven't tried my hands at gunning before, so I didn't really want to start my career with Alatreon. :lol

I want to help out a proper group with sleepbombing as necessary, but still be able to do the usual as a Lance/LS/GS user.

What does Evasion actually do? Increase the amount of invulnerability frames during rolling/sidestepping?

Top Bottom