• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

epmode

bucknuticus said:
Me and my buddy just got this game today and have played for about 5 hours after seeing the videos and reviews of it, we have never played one before. Started off online, then got to kill the great Jaggi quest and have died maybe close to 8 times. We're not really feeling this game, but im not sure if its just our general lack of understanding but it is getting really frustrating. So any pointers? Are we going at this game completely wrong?
Having just started myself, I think it's probably better to play solo for a while until you get the hang of it. The online mode is definitely harder.

Alex

just our general lack of understanding

That'd be it, you'll get better. Once you get over the first few humps in the learning curve it evens out a lot. I remember how hard a Kut Ku (intro monster from the original) seemed back in the day and how crazy it was to finally down it then get the grasp on everything and start piling up the kill count.

Everyone has their "click" with Monster Hunter where it just all starts to come together. The camera, all of the items, the way the monsters are and the weight/delay to things. It pissed off and confused every MH fan at first, but once it all starts to gel, you get over that hump and all the design begins to make sense it's a very cool experience

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
bucknuticus said:
Me and my buddy just got this game today and have played for about 5 hours after seeing the videos and reviews of it, we have never played one before. Started off online, then got to kill the great Jaggi quest and have died maybe close to 8 times. We're not really feeling this game, but im not sure if its just our general lack of understanding but it is getting really frustrating. So any pointers? Are we going at this game completely wrong?

Play offline for a bit.

Also, online monsters are built for 4 players, if you are just playing 2p and you're just starting out you will get your ass kicked without a doubt. Start offline for atleast a few hours.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
need help finding a team around my skill level :\

I can take down Guild hall barroth with the right team members, It just seems like everyone is either just starting or GH 37.

The whole gaf team thing didnt work out as well as id have wished.

in case anyone is down, let me know

Alex

sprsk said:
Play offline for a bit.

Also, online monsters are built for 4 players, if you are just playing 2p and you're just starting out you will get your ass kicked without a doubt. Start offline for atleast a few hours.

I just want to chime in that despite this, everything is 2P doable, no real crazy antics. Just extra health.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Alex said:
I just want to chime in that despite this, everything is 2P doable, no real crazy antics. Just extra health.

Yeah, but if you don't know how to play the game you either: Don't have the potions or don't have the skill to survive without using them all.

Salsa

Fuck. My girlfriend made me remember that ive made a promise to lend her the Wii before Galaxy 2 came out so her little brother can play. Guess im out for a couple of weeks :( Monster hunter vs Sex = Sex. Ill be back.

hiro4

Lenardo said:
hiro... ripe mushrooms? are in the bugs by the mushrooms you have to wait til they eat the shrooms and their belly's turn a different color (be a sparkly thing on ground

the other mushroom drops from the herbivores when they do the same thing
Oh I know! That is the "funny" part.
First time I got 13 unique mushrooms, 8 ripe and 10 choice mushrooms.

Needless to say I didn't make it.

Second time I got 14 unique but none of the others. The altaroths didn't go for the shrooms.

At least I got the quest so no complaining here but it is still annoying as hell.

d0c_zaius

FootNinja said:
in case anyone is down, let me know

I did it last night, if you need help. HR 10

chillin in the gaf wisdom 1 gate 40

Gamer @ Heart said:
What is wrong with you people? You start a game you dont know how to play and jump online?

Well ive been helping noobs get the hang of things. It doesnt take long if someone is there to help explain some of the basics. But if you wanna rip on people for enjoying what they want to and expect the community to grow :lol

MH isnt rocket science, its just different.

sprsk said:
Yeah, but if you don't know how to play the game you either: Don't have the potions or don't have the skill to survive without using them all.

well if you cant win with 10 herb, 10 potion, and 10 mega potion and a gameplan then yea Id find another game

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Gamer @ Heart said:
What is wrong with you people? You start a game you dont know how to play and jump online?
we dont have the patience to play offline first and want to test out the online..

anyways getting back on topic, do the attacks get easier to pull off?
i brought the great sword and between pressing the two attack buttons there is a delay of about half a second, as your character swings..

just wondering does your character get the ability to attack faster or do i need a different weapon?

jufonuk said:
we dont have the patience to play offline first and want to test out the online..

anyways getting back on topic, do the attacks get easier to pull off?
i brought the great sword and between pressing the two attack buttons there is a delay of about half a second, as your character swings..

just wondering does your character get the ability to attack faster or do i need a different weapon?

No, the swings are identical for all weapons of the same type and dont change. Try sword and sheild if you prefer faster attacks.

d0c_zaius said:
Well ive been helping noobs get the hang of things. It doesnt take long if someone is there to help explain some of the basics. But if you wanna rip on people for enjoying what they want to and expect the community to grow :lol

MH isnt rocket science, its just different.
e

I can understand that, what i meant was that the single player eases you into the mechanics and just jumping in directly to a boss character and dying repeatedly wasting 20 minutes at a time might be a turnoff for some and they could lose interest forever which would suck.

I want people to stick around

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Gamer @ Heart said:
I can understand that, what i meant was that the single player eases you into the mechanics and just jumping in directly to a boss character and dying repeatedly wasting 20 minutes at a time might be a turnoff for some and they could lose interest forever which would suck.

gonna try but the attack mechanics, will try the sword and shield combo.
only played about half and hour after work last night will try some more tonight.

d0c_zaius

Gamer @ Heart said:

I agree, but the tutorial sucks and all MH SP tutorials are extremely linear and frustrating, so I cant blame em for jumping in head first and hoping for the best

Teknoman

MH3 SP doesnt seem to frustrating so far. I just got word about the Qurupecco, and captured a Great Jaggi for the first time...nothing to hard at this point. The SP characters explain a decent amount of stuff too. Pointer menu helps as well (highlight anything in the stat screen you arent clear on).

The only thing that always gets me is when you have such a large amount of equipment to choose from :lol I always end up going with a high defense rate and what looks the best.

Tenbatsu

Teknoman said:
The only thing that always gets me is when you have such a large amount of equipment to choose from :lol I always end up going with a high defense rate and what looks the best.
Go for armor skills and looks.

Teknoman said:
You'll get used to it progressively, you're still early on. I'm around the same parts you're at, and i haven't really noticed any interesting skill sets just yet anyways (then again, i didnt look much). Early on you (usually) don't need to worry about matching sets of armor too much. You'll keep on getting better stuff regularly, so it's never seemed to be worth the hassle to get matching sets early on.

:O

Flooded Forest is one of the most beautiful environments I've ever seen in a video game! God I'm loving this game.

Is there any reason why you would want to mix and match armor from different sets? Or is it generally best to just equip an entire set at a time?

Tenbatsu

autobzooty said:
:O

Flooded Forest is one of the most beautiful environments I've ever seen in a video game! God I'm loving this game.

Is there any reason why you would want to mix and match armor from different sets? Or is it generally best to just equip an entire set at a time?
Finally, someone commented on flooded forest!:D

Mixing and matching allows you to activate more skills and you can pick and match what skills you want to suit your playing style. Entire set usually results in fixed skills. Anw the mixing is quite limited initially, it will only open up later in the game.

This is my first Monster Hunter game and I'm enjoying it. It's pretty tough online, and nobody but me is careful enough to go back and sleep at the starting point when they're out of healing items. Instead, everyone likes to die and lose a third of our reward, and then eventually game ovah.

This game does a pretty good job drawing you into it's atmosphere, and I'll admit I even freaked the fuck out when
Lagiacrus came into the zone I was in
. I never put my weapon away and held down Z so fast. Hoooly shit.

I took a peek at what kinds of weapons there are and I'm interested in Long Swords. Of course I don't know where to find any, or when I can use any, and my armor is kinda crappy.. I have the Hunter equipment right now. :lol

But still, even with my inexperience, I think I can see the hype now. I really wish it ended up on PS3 as it was first intended though because of the bars on each side and the blurriness of the graphics. The game does kind of lack the ability to lock on to enemies, and enemies are really hard to hit.. but you kind of get used to it after a while and learn to cope with the lack of ability to turn while hitting/no lock on.

Ramble ramble ramble.

Hiltz

Yeah, flood forest is quite beautiful.

- Killed the Qurupecco on first try. It wasn't that challenging even when it calls out for help with the Great Jaggi as well as the smaller Jaggi. It took me about 20 minutes to kill it with the sword and shield. Almost lost the bastard once when it flew away but finally found it sleeping. Its spark attack can sure do a lot of damage but it is pretty easy to avoid.

- Just need to do 2 more missions to complete the level 3 quests.

- Just unlocked and forged the switch axe weapon! It's pretty freaking cool. Still, I'm not confident taking into battle against any bosses other than a Great Jaggi at this point. I still want to ultimately use the long sword.

- Got some Ludroth legging armor.

QUESTION:

Anyone know where to find the herbivore eggs for that level 3 quest ? I've looked all over the place and haven't been able to locate them.

Another QUESTION:

Anyone know where to find killer beetle ?

Hiltz you can find the eggs in area 7. Search the bones next to the wilted tree. A shortcut to the area is to drop down the well next to your camp tent.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hiltz said:
Yeah, flood forest is quite beautiful.

- Killed the Qurupecco on first try. It wasn't that challenging though even when it calls out for help with the Great Jaggi as well as the smaller Jaggi. It took me about 20 minutes to kill it with the sword and shield. Almost lost the bastard once when it flew away but finally found it sleeping. Its spark attack can sure do a lot of damage but its pretty easy to avoid.

- Just need to do 2 more missions to complete the level 3 quests.

- Just unlocked and forged the switch axe weapon! It's pretty freaking cool. Still, I'm not confident taking into battle against any bosses other than a Great Jaggi at this point. I still want to ultimately use the long sword.

- Got some Ludroth legging armor.

QUESTION:

Anyone know where to find the herbivore eggs for that level 3 quest ? I've looked all over the place and haven't been able to locate them.

Another QUESTION:

Anyone know where to find killer beetle ?

1. Just so you know, it's usually not a good idea to mix and match pieces of armor from different armor sets. You miss out on some really helpful skill bonuses that way.

2. Area 7, base of the tree

3. Flooded Forest bug catching points, daytime only I think.

Remfin

Tenbatsu said:
You can only give item rare 3 or below.
Well that sucks :( But I wasn't seeing the menu option at all was my issue (I recall it popping up when you hit A with a character targeted).

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
SalsaShark said:
Fuck. My girlfriend made me remember that ive made a promise to lend her the Wii before Galaxy 2 came out so her little brother can play. Guess im out for a couple of weeks :( Monster hunter vs Sex = Sex. Ill be back.
Aw man, tough break. That is a close toss-up indeed, but I think we'd all agree you made the right choice :lol Tri will still be here in a couple of weeks!

A friend and I tried online last night and are loving it. We were wondering though, is there a way to do a Moga Woods 'free hunt' type thing online? Like an unstable landscape to chill out and hunt in with no time limit? I searched around the city, but wasn't sure if I missed someone to talk to or if it appeared later or something.

selig

Banned
Hey,

got the game yesterday, played for 7 hours, great fun.

But I have one question:
So I had this unspectacular looking medieval, shiny armor. I liked it. When I played a bit more, I could have the smith make me the Jaggi-armor. After 2 times upgrading the medieval armor, it had 4 defense points, while the jaggi-armor had 12 points from the start. You can guess how many of these armor upgrade-items i had needed, would I have wanted to get it up there.
So: Does the upgrading of early armors make sense, or a later armors inherently better, so you shouldnt invest much into the earlier ones?

selig said:
Hey,

got the game yesterday, played for 7 hours, great fun.

But I have one question:
So I had this unspectacular looking medieval, shiny armor. I liked it. When I played a bit more, I could have the smith make me the Jaggi-armor. After 2 times upgrading the medieval armor, it had 4 defense points, while the jaggi-armor had 12 points from the start. You can guess how many of these armor upgrade-items i had needed, would I have wanted to get it up there.
So: Does the upgrading of early armors make sense, or a later armors inherently better, so you shouldnt invest much into the earlier ones?

Even great jaggi armor gets obsolete pretty fast. I'd hold on to your upgrade equipment until you get some more permanent gear, but it's not that big of a deal if you waste a handful of upgrades. You'll get it back eventually.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
autobzooty said:

Yeah, going back and re-reading what Tenbatsu said about the new charm system, mixing and matching armors sounds like it actually woks well this time around. But only if you have the proper charms/decorations to attach to them. Just going about it willy-nilly won't yield optimal results.

selig

Banned
So, it´s not possible to upgrade the fist armor you find that much, that it stays useful in the later part of the game? hm...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
selig said:
So, it´s not possible to upgrade the fist armor you find that much, that it stays useful in the later part of the game? hm...

Well, any armor can be useful at any time. It just depends on how much you've upgraded it and how good you are at dodging. Like, my Jaggi Armor gives me Attack Up L through Decorations/Charms/inherent skills, but it's defense is poor. So I upgraded it as much as I can with Armor Spheres and just make sure to play extra defensively when I use it (as it's my go-to armor when I'm using my SnS).

Disguises

Still waiting for delivery of mine (UK). Should've been here by now, just hope it's here in the next few hours - I want me some monster hunting!
edit: About 3 royal mail vans just drove past. They love taunting me. :(

Alex

I helped a friend duo the Barroth urgent earlier, man I certainly got my wish for them to up the health pools and damage output of early game monsters. That shit took forever with just a duo. I'm using the alloy set at the moment, the early armor has some pretty rockin' skills this time around. Found a charm for gluttony as well, huzzah.

I'm pretty surprised just how quickly that ramped up though. That thing is, IMO, harder than a low-rank Tigrex. Not as spazzy, more predictable but tons of longevity and just more dangerous per hit, IMO.

Hiding behind a rock to combine some more paralyze bullets then having him enrage, charge at the rock, destroy it and one shot my Hunter was pretty hilarious.

ShinNL

Alex said:
I'm pretty surprised just how quickly that ramped up though. That thing is, IMO, harder than a low-rank Tigrex. Not as spazzy, more predictable but tons of longevity and just more dangerous per hit, IMO.
More dangerous per hit? Tigrex's rage mode has drawn quite some blood, even veteran's... :O

Fucking stupid royal ludroth pos. Fucked his shit up for 45 minutes straight, not enough time, fission mailed. I take the piss, upgrade my hammer twice, come back with power seeds and... takes me 20 minutes to find the fucker... Fuck his shit for 30 minutes, he doesnt die, game over. FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Edit: on 3rd try, pummeled his ass into submission in 20 mins. HA!

Alex

Soneet said:
More dangerous per hit? Tigrex's rage mode has drawn quite some blood, even veteran's... :O

I dunno, only the triple charge on Tigrex was the only super duper threatening to me. Mainly because because it could tear your ass to shreds in some of the more narrow passages. Once you caught onto the weak spot in his model to roll into though, even that wasn't too scary.

The Barroth is pretty sick for a 1* Urgent, considering it completely one shot my Bowgun Hunter during an enrage, it also has some obnoxious chains. The health on that fucker is what really pushes it over though, considering I only ever duo things it makes for quite an endurance match at this stage of the game. Doing the Urgent for both of us, I was just pouring so much money into ammo. Sigh

I'm excited to see the further ramp up, very very fun.

selig

Banned
Ah, something else I wanted to know: Is there some ingame-info where I can see where to find certain items? That´s a bit obscure, when you have no idea where to search for a needed item.

dsister44

i just realised how crazily complicated the armour system is. should i get queripeco armour or wait for somehting better?

oh and is the best capturing method a shock trap then tranquilizers?

Alex

I really like the alloy set early on, great skills. The Jaggi armor seemed nice too. I wasn't too big on the Quro armor and now I hold a grudge against him since I gathered mats to make his gun before actually stopping to sit down and compare pieces and learn the system and realize I had no use for any of them personally. :lol

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Oh shit, I just accidentally learned the hammer combos/charge combos. I've played playing with X and A so far. :lol

Top Bottom