• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Oxx

About two and a half hours into single-player. I'm beginning to see the appeal, but I can see it taking quite a while to really wrap my head around all of the mechanics.

john tv

Seraphis Cain said:
I see there's some GAF'ers playing right now. Anyone here go by the name Dia in-game? 'Cause I see you're on the GAF server, and I've played with you quite a bit and didn't even know you were from GAF! :lol
Whoever Dia is, he/she helped me kick Barroth's ass to clear my Urgent Quest earlier, so thanks Dia!

Tenbatsu

sammy said:
Maaaannn, they really outdid themselves with the volcano area. beautiful!

I can't stop thinking of MHTri @_@ it has delivered, I'm hooked all over again and the new Rathian is so much fun to fight
I really like flooded forest and desert, they are really beautiful. Do walk around and take a look at the ground textures for all the stages too, really detailed.

Btw Sandstorm will be coming soon guys, get ready to go online and have the hunt of your life.

Tenbatsu said:
I really like flooded forest and desert, they are really beautiful. Do walk around and take a look at the ground textures for all the stages too, really detailed.

Btw Sandstorm will be coming soon guys, get ready to go online and have the hunt of your life.
What's "sandstorm"? New Event Quest?

Tenbatsu said:

Are there announcements anywhere regarding the events and when they come out? I could find them easily in the PSP version but I can't find anything officially pointing to them in this one?

Got my copy this past weekend. Picked up the bundle and a Wii Speak. Wish I could get a keyboard, but all the cheap ones I've found in the store don't have long enough cords. And I can't really justify spending the money for a wireless keyboard after the money I already spent.

Finished some of the basic tutorial stuff, I'm making my way through the one starred quests now. Will jump online once I start tacking the two and three starred quests. Games a blast so far.

Boney

Banned
Kyuuketsu_Night said:
Well, this marks two MH dreams in a row =x
Oh god, the same thing happened to me. This game is absolutely driving me insane. It's that good. I'm up un Tundra now, and everytime I play it I enjoy it more.

Not used to combining and farming materials yet, but when you're out on a hunt, using just what the Guild gives you, running dry, and complete a subquest and get more items is so satisfying. Will hop online when I get home today.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
How long would you guys recommend playing single player before moving online?

54-46!

Man.. this game is way easier to get in to compared to Freedom Unite, the recovery time on some of the moves are much better and the monster seem to be less agressive. Just started playing them both for the first time, I was in for a nasty surprise when I booted up MHFU :lol

gotee12

Boney said:
Yes.. yes we are. Is that bad?
Well, I'd rather not be able to see it coming. I'd just assume to go about my daily life and suddenly... BAM... I'm a glass of orange juice.

Oh, Tri, how you've endeared yourself to my psyche. Please be gentle with my id during your stay...

Boney

Banned
gotee12 said:
Well, I'd rather not be able to see it coming. I'd just assume to go about my daily life and suddenly... BAM... I'm a glass of orange juice.

Oh, Tri, how you've endeared yourself to my psyche. Please be gentle with my id during your stay...
:lol You got me at the library you sick bastard!:lol

sfried said:
Damn you Royal Ludroth! And High Quality Sponge!
I need shitty Jaggi frills for a better hammer, its pissing me off :lol Ive got enough jaggi bits to make 2 full sets bar frills aswell :/
Done some tweaking with my network so HOPEFULLY I wont dc every twenty mins now.

botticus

General Wii question: would my USB Bluetooth Logitech keyboard be recognized? If it should, I'll drag it home with me from work and try it out tonight.

I'll be online for a bit. Recruiting, wisdom 1, gate 40 (selenae). Up for anything.

botticus said:
General Wii question: would my USB Bluetooth Logitech keyboard be recognized by the Wii? If it should, I'll drag it home with me from work and try it out tonight.
Dunno but i would guess so. I just plugged my stupid dell keyboard in and it worked.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
botticus said:
General Wii question: would my USB Bluetooth Logitech keyboard be recognized? If it should, I'll drag it home with me from work and try it out tonight.
If it doesn't require additional drivers it should work.

Elcheris

Neo Member
Those were some pretty nuts Barroth runs last night. I think ill be happy if I never see another one of those jerks again. On the plus side, we did it enough to get all the mats for my Barroth armor =D

Hobbun

So from what I'm hearing the Wii Speak implementation is fucked up? Was thinking about setting it up with a friend of mine, but if it's crap, don't want to bother.

DataBot

schuelma said:

Kill Great jaggi offline, than move online to learn capturing him with some help.
After that switch back offline for a few missions and than back online repeat that often.
Work on your farm, it spares you later annoying gathering for rare stuff.

schuelma said:
If you can get to the point where you've fought a boss level monster like the great jaggi, you'll probably be fine. [Beaten!] Being familiar with the game before you start is more important when playing with random pubs.

You can probably make money faster by playing quests online, so you could buy a better set of armor faster than working at making money solo.

I've been playing with random pubs pretty much the entire time (it was okay when I was doing 1 star quests) and it's hard to find decent groups doing 2 star quests. If the people are any good, you have to take what you can get, and last night that meant doing freaking gobul something like seven times in a row because some guy couldn't get whisker drops for the head piece. -__-

botticus

Hobbun said:
So from what I'm hearing the Wii Speak implementation is fucked up? Was thinking about setting it up with a friend of mine, but if it's crap, don't want to bother.
I'm hoping it's a server-side issue that they can fix, but it's just above useless. If you somehow get everything positioned correctly (mic, speakers, person) then you can understand people, but it's not an easy feat. But considering the alternative if you don't have a keyboard is to use the in-game board... Wii Speak is still worth using. I could repeat myself a half dozen times in the time it takes me to type anything with that.

My friend had his speakers up too loud or too close to the mic so I could actually hear myself talking, and I could kinda figure out what I was saying. :lol

Nos_G

Pancho said:
Bad ass games Thorlis, Marklar and remfin must fun I had in a while :D

Yep we had some good runs, sorry I had to bail out. The batteries in my wiimote and keyboard were pretty low. So I took the chance to have a little break and some lunch.

-WiiSpeak-

I played earlier with sprsk and we both had wii speak on. Communication is ok when you are in the city, but once you go on a mission and all the other sound effects are sounding off, it gets pretty hard to understand anyone on it. Also, the chat cuts off when it loads/changes into the new areas. Keep that in mind when you are wii-speaking.

So my apologies, sprsk, I was not ignoring. I just couldn't understand you. :p

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I had a dream that MH3's developers were hired by Nintendo to help Aonuma with the new Zelda and the results were gorgeous.

Does that count as a MH3 dream?

Pancho

Qurupancho
Nos_G said:
Yep we had some good runs, sorry I had to bail out. The batteries in my wiimote and keyboard were pretty low. So I took the chance to have a little break and some lunch.

I did one more hunt after you went out (Great Baggi), since I work at 3, but the other 2 kept at it. Don't know if they're still playing.

ShinNL

Hawkian said:
Soneet, that app is amazing!

Aewsome work!

If I could made one suggestion, either changing the background image to something darker/dimmer, or changing the color of the green font, would make the lines about time online much more legible.
Thanks everyone for testing. I know a bit more what I should be adjusting before building more upon it.

New colors:
beta_mh3_image.jpg

(note: local server, just testing, so these people aren't really online)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
DataBot said:
Kill Great jaggi offline, than move online to learn capturing him with some help.
After that switch back offline for a few missions and than back online repeat that often.
Work on your farm, it spares you later annoying gathering for rare stuff.

Thanks. I already beat him plenty in the demo, but I'll probably take your advice and go online after beating him in SP.

Gino

botticus said:
I've got a bluetooth logitech board hooked up and it works great.

teeny

JacksUsername said:
Got my copy this past weekend. Picked up the bundle and a Wii Speak. Wish I could get a keyboard, but all the cheap ones I've found in the store don't have long enough cords. And I can't really justify spending the money for a wireless keyboard after the money I already spent.

Finished some of the basic tutorial stuff, I'm making my way through the one starred quests now. Will jump online once I start tacking the two and three starred quests. Games a blast so far.

You could always get a USB extension, theyre pretty cheap, and considerably long. I use one to extend the length of wire when charging my PS3 controllers.

On topic, Ive been following this thread closely, and I really cant wait to get this game (despite never having played MH before). Will probably pick it up next week, money permitting. Will look forward to the online, you guys seem very patient with newbies :D

Reknoc

Sorry if this has been asked before and I'm incredibly embarressed to ask this; doing the Kelbi Horn level 1 quest, I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to get them, it says to K.O them but I only ever did that once accidently and have no idea what I did. Any particular items or weapons that'll help me with this?

Owzers

Reknoc said:
Sorry if this has been asked before and I'm incredibly embarressed to ask this; doing the Kelbi Horn level 1 quest, I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to get them, it says to K.O them but I only ever did that once accidently and have no idea what I did. Any particular items or weapons that'll help me with this?

I know the 2 hit shield attack for sword and shield KO's them.

Also the hammer should...somehow.

I don't remember having to k.o. them inorder to get a horn though.

joelseph

Reknoc said:

SnS or Hammer. You want to "bash" their heads until they become dazed. If you just straight up kill them with say a great sword you are more than likely going to get a warm pelt instead. I was messing around on a new character last night and was on that quest with a giant bone sword. I had to kill 29 of them fuckers to get 2 horns to drop because I couldn't K.O. them reliably without the SnS or hammer. I did sell 25 warm pelts at the end of the quest though and made 1000z with enough warm pelts left over to make anything I could need!

wsippel

Banned
Reknoc said:
Shield bashes usually stun, as does the second attack of the GS unsheath combo (the first attack shouldn't kill them, and the second one stuns - just hit X twice).

^ Yeah, S+S shield attack (A button) will knock them out for horn-taking.

Edit: only try the x+x greatsword combo if you're using one of the base swords... any upgrading is almost guaranteed to kill them instead.

Also, if you're looking for the much rarer Blue Kelbi Horn (for upgrading your bone sword for instance), wait until one of the larger male Kelbi spawns... you'll notice there are green ones and blue ones. When you spot a larger male who is blue, KO him and you get a blue kelbi horn almost every time.

Nicktals

Banned
Reknoc said:

I'm pretty sure the shield bash (with the sword and shield?) is the best at it. I use the great sword, and the little spank thing will knock them out usually.

EDIT: Yeesh, beaten like 12 times. I think next time I have a decent chance (for 2 hours or more), I'm going to head online. It's pretty tough during the week, but I might be able to get on for the first time tonight.

Verapamil

Banned
I was watching a feed last night and some guy was wandering around with some sort of spiky armor and a staff that looked like a dragon head.

Then I loaded up my older PSP version with my dude in leather... Yeah. I'll never catch up! :lol

Reknoc

Thanks guys, will grab my SnS from the chest then or get a Hammer.

Man I love the Great Sword now, being without my Gunlance or Long Sword has made me give it a go and it's pretty great (Edit: groan).

joelseph said:
SnS or Hammer. You want to "bash" their heads until they become dazed. If you just straight up kill them with say a great sword you are more than likely going to get a warm pelt instead. I was messing around on a new character last night and was on that quest with a giant bone sword. I had to kill 29 of them fuckers to get 2 horns to drop because I couldn't K.O. them reliably without the SnS or hammer. I did sell 25 warm pelts at the end of the quest though and made 1000z with enough warm pelts left over to make anything I could need!
I prefer keeping the pelts around for trading.

Great sword is a little tricky if you're using one with too much attack. If it's a low end GS, you can unsheathe attack and hit the same attack button to do the blunt attack K.O.

If you're using a GS that will kill with an unsheathe attack, you should aim a bit to the left of the target in order to miss with the first hit and hit it with your second attack which will hit anything a bit to the right of the initial attack.

The lance shield bash is trickier to pull off than GS because the distance and timing seem to be less forgiving. I haven't tried bashing them with a bowgun to see how that works yet.

Owzers

After 3 gobul encounters i managed to get my 2 gobul spikes needed for the paralyze SnS.

Question:

Can Sword and Shield cut tails off?

Top Bottom